Question about ratings?

12theTruth

Why I ask is because currently to rate something funny is always viewed as a positive as it impacts anothers user's positive/negative ratings.

Funny is just as often looked as a negative thing as a positive one. And I thought I was giving a boost to someones score when I rated their post as optimistic but it actually lowers their rating.

If I am misunderstanding these ratings please do set me straight?

Otherwise maybe optimistic could be a good thing and a separate "stretching it" icon could be created

Regarding funny - keep funny as a positive and create a "where you'd come up with that idea" icon for a negative tick

I guess there is always the disagree button when in doubt though.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I don't pay attention to the ratings and they could disappear for all I care. Good posters prove out whether they get ratings or not.

OP
OP

12theTruth

I don't pay attention to the ratings and they could disappear for all I care. Good posters prove out whether they get ratings or not.

Thanks for the poignant response. Keep us in the know when you remove the rating system...

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The ratings in the rating system or the ones that it comes with.

But to your point, someone or something being funny is positive more times than it is negative.

Optimistic is considered a neutral rating, and Old and Disagree are considered a negative rating. Everything is is considered positive.

We can add some, remove some, change some if I get some good suggestions.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
The ratings in the rating system or the ones that it comes with.

But to your point, someone or something being funny is positive more times than it is negative.

Optimistic is considered a neutral rating, and Old and Disagree are considered a negative rating. Everything is is considered positive.

We can add some, remove some, change some if I get some good suggestions.
Is there a way to just turn off the rating accumulation? Maybe just have it on for individual posts but don't tally them. There seems to be a few posters who actually care about the ratings status and get offended by having any negatives. Sort of like teeny boppers counting how many friends they have.
I also don't think you and I disagreeing over an opinion is necessarily a negative. Isn't this what debate is about? Maybe disagree can be neutral and come up with a "that is the most idiotic opinion I have ever seen" icon for something more negative. :poop: works for me as does :confused: or :tdown:. Can the entire smilie icon gallery be accessed by the ratings system with a forum referendum on which are to be considered +, -, <>?

OP
OP

12theTruth

Is there a way to just turn off the rating accumulation? Maybe just have it on for individual posts but don't tally them. There seems to be a few posters who actually care about the ratings status and get offended by having any negatives. Sort of like teeny boppers counting how many friends they have.
I also don't think you and I disagreeing over an opinion is necessarily a negative. Isn't this what debate is about? Maybe disagree can be neutral and come up with a "that is the most idiotic opinion I have ever seen" icon for something more negative. :poop: works for me as does :confused: or :tdown:. Can the entire smilie icon gallery be accessed by the ratings system with a forum referendum on which are to be considered +, -, <>?

I really like the fact you care more about the ratings now :) :tup:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
I really like the fact you care more about the ratings now :) :tup:
Just flooding the board with acceptable options to land on the winning side. :sneaky: I always try to have a plan B. Personally I still want the accumulation gone which is why it was the first option. I went with decreasing order of preference.

OP
OP

12theTruth

If someone is THAT upset with a negative rating they always have the option of deleting the original post. The rating system is just an add-on element that generally speaking adds to the fun side of things. In a way you could say it adds flavor to an already appetizing beverage. An accumulation of them would just be a natural extension of having them in the first place IMO.

Members online

Latest posts