QB Fortunes in TB

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Griese's gone for the season.

Just wondering if folks at this forum had any takes on the propects for the Bucs with Chris Simms taking over at QB.

The Bucs also traded for Tim Rattay, as must be well known by now.

What think ye?

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i've seen Rattay play his entire career. when the niners had some semblance of an O-line a few years ago he played fine..not spectacular, but nothing like last year...and theres no doubt he's better than Chris Simms.

OP
OP
B

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think that Rattay's a wise pickup also, but I think it's too early to judge Rattay vs. Simms.
There are reasons to think that Simms will flop, among them his getting injured fairly promptly during his first-ever NFL start and his lackluster second start against the Arizona Cardinals last year.
OTOH, Simms has performed well during the preseason and during relief efforts, as with the job he did against the Dolphins. The key issue seems to be whether or not he can keep his head on straight during a game. It seems that the anticipation of starting gets him so hyped up that his performance suffers as a result. This was an early problem for Brett Favre also, IIRC. This is not to say that Simms is another Favre, of course. Favre has had remarkable durability over his career--durability that Simms has already failed to match even if he starts every game over a ten year period from here on out.

I think that after five games with Simms at the helm we'll have a good idea about how his career will turn out. If he turns in a solid regular season, then we may even get an indication of whether or not the rap against him for wilting under big-game pressure will follow him into the pros for his whole career.
A qb can be considered a decent NFL qb and also a big-game liability.

OP
OP
B

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
After three games started by Simms, we've got some variety to choose from (good and bad).
This win over the 'Skins was encouraging since their defense blitzes aggressively.
Also because the offense bailed out the defense. Washington moved the ball very effectively on us much of the day.
Here's hoping that Simms rounds out the five game stretch by showing consistency in keeping with his play in this game. :)

Congrats to the Pack for dropping the dirty birds, BTW.
Nice.
:)

OP
OP
B

Bucfan219

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, five starts plus one for Simms.

I have to say that I'm pleased and a little surprised.
He has played against some tough defensive fronts (Bears, Falcons, Panthers) and has shown impressive composure--increasing as he gains experience.

He loses the ball sometimes when he gets sacked, but that's a common problem for QB's--I don't think it really counts as a severe negative.
He throws an impressively accurate deep ball, and he seems to command the offense pretty well.

I think that the starting job in TB is now Simms to lose.
That gives us the chore of re-signing Simms (RFA) along with Brooks and Barber.
Griese may be invited back to compete, but as I understand it his contract amounts to a series of one-year deals with no nasty cap hit if he's cut.

Members online

Latest posts