Putting where we're at in perspective

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've been thinking about the Packers all week long and trying to figure out what has happened, how we got to this point, and wondering if there is any hope? I knew three yeas ago that this team was on the way down, based on our drafts and lack of quality free agent signings and players trying to get out of town. To me, there were red flags all over the place. Then Harlan brings in Ted Thompson and I'm thinking there is some hope now. After two years of the Thompson regime I'm searching hard to find any indication at all that things are on the mend. Instead I find a team that is for sure is a bigger mess than it was three years ago. It hasn't gotten better, it's gotten worse.

Last year we had four centers on the team. Two years ago we had two punters on the team. This year we have four rookie guards, none of whom look like they can be anything more than serviceable. This year we have four tight ends and one fullback. We release and trade our only servicable running backs. We didn't draft a running back. So we trade a street free agent for a 3rd round choice from a franchise that is as bad as ours. We sign a big money free agent cornerback who looks like he may be over the hill.

Then to add to this misery, we sign a head coach with no experience whose experience has come out of losing programs in New Orleans and San Francisco. Maybe McCarthy is the guy for the job, maybe he's hired good coaches, and maybe he's the guy to make average players better. My point is that right now it just doesn't look good. As I look at the personel on this team, it doens't look like there is a plan. Our running back situation is tentative at best. We have one bonafide wide receiver and a possible star of the future. We're old where we can't afford to be and young where we can't afford to be. We let an outstanding field goal kicker go when we have more than enough money to pay him. It appears that those who are in charge are just cleaning house from the past regime but don't have a plan in place to make things marginally better.

So if there is hope, if there is something out there to believe that there is light at the end of the tunnel, under Thompson and McCarthy, someone please tell me what it might be.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
The light might be this.

I was birching about them doing the same plays over and over again being so predictable. Perhaps they are doing them over and over until they get them right?

Then when they get them right or to satisfactory they add more.

Taking an uneducated guess here, I think the Packers have only employed about 7-9 different type of running plays. With that said, the Packers only had about five in the years they were dominant running the ball under Sherman, but we had the most dominant OL in the league. They were so dominant because of the time they played together.

I watched a few video's from the OL and Tausch was saying how its extremely important they know who is on the other side.

Members online

Latest posts