Pryor or Clinton-Dix?

CHIpackFAN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm kinda torn on who I would like TT to draft. I like the fact that Clinton-Dix was able to handle the complex defense of Alabama and I think that he wouldbe able to handle Capers Scheme. On the other hand I absolutely love Pryor's game and what he could bring to this D. I was originally leaning all the way towards Pryor but now I am 50/50 again on both off them.

Which guy would you like to see drafted and why?

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm kinda torn on who I would like TT to draft. I like the fact that Clinton-Dix was able to handle the complex defense of Alabama and I think that he wouldbe able to handle Capers Scheme. On the other hand I absolutely love Pryor's game and what he could bring to this D. I was originally leaning all the way towards Pryor but now I am 50/50 again on both off them.

Which guy would you like to see drafted and why?

I would be satisfied getting any of those two, but I would prefer Clinton-Dix as he has better coverage skills than Pryor. And while he´s not the violent hitter Pryor is he´s a sure tackler as well.

All that being said the Packers would like to play him at free safety, if we´re talking about SS I would rather take Pryor.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Pryor but could go either way. I didn't watch either a ton and I need to still.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Clinton-Dix. Better in coverage. Better size. Bama coached. Better tackler. Easy pick for me. Would be pumped with either, of course, but HaHa moreso.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Burnett plays much better as a strong safety. That would argue for Dix since Pryor is more of a strong safety as well.

packfan1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly...and not trying to be negative, but I am really not that interested in either one. I am thinking of HOW Collins played. He was a converted CB, and IMO I think that's the type of S we need-a safety that can also cover as a CB in the slot...and be able to stick with RBs out of the backfield. That type of S gives the defense a lot more flexibility with its scheme and blitzes, etc. I don't know much about the WI safety who just ran a 4.37...or the safety from Florida State Brooks who looks like he can also run. I would like that type of safety for the defense not a bigger bodied type who has difficulty covering WRs and RBs. Not saying I expect to find another Nick Collins, just another safety that can be reliable in those aspects.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Im having doubts that Dix or Pryor will even be there when we draft in round 1.

thisisnate

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Honestly...and not trying to be negative, but I am really not that interested in either one. I am thinking of HOW Collins played. He was a converted CB, and IMO I think that's the type of S we need-a safety that can also cover as a CB in the slot...and be able to stick with RBs out of the backfield. That type of S gives the defense a lot more flexibility with its scheme and blitzes, etc. I don't know much about the WI safety who just ran a 4.37...or the safety from Florida State Brooks who looks like he can also run. I would like that type of safety for the defense not a bigger bodied type who has difficulty covering WRs and RBs. Not saying I expect to find another Nick Collins, just another safety that can be reliable in those aspects.

Well, there were rumors that TT was pretty high on Tre Boston. Not super fast, but he's a ball-hawk and a converted CB. He also seems like just a kind of cool, weird guy lol. I like him.

Im having doubts that Dix or Pryor will even be there when we draft in round 1.

Kind of a seems like a coin flip at this point. Seems that most gurus are projecting the Steelers to take a safety in round 1 ahead of us, so it seems likely that at least 1 of the 2 is spoken for already.

D

Deleted member 6794

Well, there were rumors that TT was pretty high on Tre Boston. Not super fast, but he's a ball-hawk and a converted CB. He also seems like just a kind of cool, weird guy lol. I like him.

Here's a scout's take on Boston:

Drifts out of position and can let receivers get behind him when given deep responsibility. Adequate job of recognizing and reacting to play action. Frame and average playing strength raise concern about ability to match up with bigger tight ends. Lacks second gear to play centerfielder and match up with above average speed working out of slot.

No, thanks.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I don't think it is even close. Pryor by a land side. Not to take anything away from Dix as TT struck gold with Lacy outta Bama and I really like Bama players, but when you watch the way Pryor plays and really watch his tape he is a force. He is always moving forward covering ground fast against the run. Forces fumbles often. He has more then adequate ball skills and hands. Fearless hitter that brings "thunder" and makes receivers remember where he is at. If your not careful he will knock you out. Pryor all the way and I hope he is there at 21. Immediate impact.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jimmie Ward reportedly had a very good pro day. Smallish at 5'10 and a half" but very athletic. Ran a 4.45 40. If Packers don't pick a safety in round 1, Ward might be a great pick in round 2 assuming he's still on the board, which he might not be.

D

Deleted member 6794

I don't think it is even close. Pryor by a land side. Not to take anything away from Dix as TT struck gold with Lacy outta Bama and I really like Bama players, but when you watch the way Pryor plays and really watch his tape he is a force. He is always moving forward covering ground fast against the run. Forces fumbles often. He has more then adequate ball skills and hands. Fearless hitter that brings "thunder" and makes receivers remember where he is at. If your not careful he will knock you out. Pryor all the way and I hope he is there at 21. Immediate impact.

I understand that you would take Pryor in a landslide if you compare both of them only by their highlight reels. Clinton-Dix has superior coverage skills (one of the most important things I look at with a FS) and he is capable of making all the defensive calls in the backfield. So I would prefer getting Ha-Ha if the Packers don´t sign a FS in free agency.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I understand that you would take Pryor in a landslide if you compare both of them only by their highlight reels. Clinton-Dix has superior coverage skills (one of the most important things I look at with a FS) and he is capable of making all the defensive calls in the backfield. So I would prefer getting Ha-Ha if the Packers don´t sign a FS in free agency.

It's more then highlight reels. The defense has been way to soft the last few years. Guys in the middle getting knocked backwards or ran over, topped off in playoffs with Kaepernick running around freely without any fear. It's ridiculous and pathetic. It is getting old and very painful to watch. Pryor does have good ball skills and may not be quite as good a cover guy YET as Dix but makes up for it in other areas. He ran same 40 time as Dix and is way way stronger. It's not even close. Pryor is the better athlete and is the hardest hitting safety to come out of the draft in a long time. Pryor would immediately come and and make an impact and help give the defense a new identity. Add a guy like Chris Borland and I get excited. I would much rather see TT go grab a Chris Clemons or a Malcolm Jenkins then spend a pick on Dix,

D

Deleted member 6794

It's more then highlight reels. The defense has been way to soft the last few years. Guys in the middle getting knocked backwards or ran over, topped off in playoffs with Kaepernick running around freely without any fear. It's ridiculous and pathetic. It is getting old and very painful to watch. Pryor does have good ball skills and may not be quite as good a cover guy YET as Dix but makes up for it in other areas. He ran same 40 time as Dix and is way way stronger. It's not even close. Pryor is the better athlete and is the hardest hitting safety to come out of the draft in a long time. Pryor would immediately come and and make an impact and help give the defense a new identity. Add a guy like Chris Borland and I get excited. I would much rather see TT go grab a Chris Clemons or a Malcolm Jenkins then spend a pick on Dix,

It seems like we have to disagree on this. I´d rather have an assignment sure guy at FS who has great coverage skills than a hard hitter.

I would be disappointed if the Packers would bring in Malcolm Jenkins, he wouldn´t be a major upgrade at FS. I´ve said repeatedly that I would be in favour of bringing in Clemons.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

Maybe I should send "highlight reels" of our guys getting knocked backwards and toasted in "the middle"
It seems like we have to disagree on this. I´d rather have an assignment sure guy at FS who has great coverage skills than a hard hitter.

I would be disappointed if the Packers would bring in Malcolm Jenkins, he wouldn´t be a major upgrade at FS. I´ve said repeatedly that I would be in favour of bringing in Clemons.

Maybe Jenkins is a reach but he played well in playoffs. I've watched some of Pryor's game film and he can be very disruptive in passing lanes. I just think his "hard hitting" overshadows some of the other things he can do. Receivers look to know where he is and it affects them. If Pack somehow gets Dix I'm not gonna cry about it. Ultimately either of those guys would be an improvement. I do see how getting Dix could put Burnett to strong safety. Maybe it's I am just not too excited about having Burnett anywhere after last season.

D

Deleted member 6794

Maybe Jenkins is a reach but he played well in playoffs. I've watched some of Pryor's game film and he can be very disruptive in passing lanes. I just think his "hard hitting" overshadows some of the other things he can do. Receivers look to know where he is and it affects them. If Pack somehow gets Dix I'm not gonna cry about it. Ultimately either of those guys would be an improvement. I do see how getting Dix could put Burnett to strong safety. Maybe it's I am just not too excited about having Burnett anywhere after last season.

Pryor would be an upgrade in coverage as well about everyone we had playing FS last year, I just think Clinton-Dix is better in it. I wouldn´t mind not starting Burnett either, but after the contract he got last offseason he will be one of the starters at safety.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Pryor would be an upgrade in coverage as well about everyone we had playing FS last year, I just think Clinton-Dix is better in it. I wouldn´t mind not starting Burnett either, but after the contract he got last offseason he will be one of the starters at safety.

Yeah, married to Burnett. So with that being the case and if the play is to get Dix, I would rather see the move be to get Clemons and target Mr. Mosley in the first round. TT targeted "Claymaker"

D

Deleted member 6794

Yeah, married to Burnett. So with that being the case and if the play is to get Dix, I would rather see the move be to get Clemons and target Mr. Mosley in the first round. TT targeted "Claymaker"

I wonder if there´s any reason why you don´t like Clinton-Dix aside of the fact that he doesn´t hit as hard as Pryor???

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I wonder if there´s any reason why you don´t like Clinton-Dix aside of the fact that he doesn´t hit as hard as Pryor???[/quit

It's not that I don't like him. I just don't know if he is a NFL ready impact player. He isn't that strong(11 reps on bench i think). His 40 time isn't blazing(4.58). I know all that stuff can be played up too much but maybe the fact that he played for Bama is also played up a bit. We struck gold with Lacy no doubt. Some scouts see Dix as second round talent in previous drafts. I just don't see Dix as a guaranteed winner pick, but if that's the guy TT gets and he kills it I won't complain. Pryor seems to be a safer pick to me. That's just my opinion.

D

Deleted member 6794

I'm neutral on the guy. Just saying there were mumblings about Ted being high on him.

But if you cite the negatives only in one scouting report and conclude he's no good, smh.

Geez, that was just meant to be an example. So far I haven´t seen any important site ranking him higher than a late round pick and I wonder where you got that from that TT thinks highly about him.

Members online

Latest posts