Pro Football Talk At it again

Boltjolt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You won't be getting a 3rd round pick for him. He'll be an unrestricted free agent.

Exactly and we will get a 3rd round comp pick for him when he signs elsewhere for big money and is a starter. Just like we are going to get a 3rd round comp pick for Drew Brees this year.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
I don't think Teddy will jump on a deal, but I think Turner will be traded. They'll get nothing for him next season should he play for the Bolts this season. He'll be getting LT money, and the Chargers aren't going to pay 2 LTs.
Then we will get a 3rd round comp pick for him which is higher than we got him in the draft.
I wouldnt call that getting nothing.

Here is something for you to look at. Enjoy:

Some Turner Highlites

Would they get a 3rd round comp pick? I mean I would be happy to see that because it adds a little more room to deal for him but what determines the compensation? He wasn't that high of a pick himself.

warhawk

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
You won't be getting a 3rd round pick for him. He'll be an unrestricted free agent.

Exactly and we will get a 3rd round comp pick for him when he signs elsewhere for big money and is a starter. Just like we are going to get a 3rd round comp pick for Drew Brees this year.

I don't see how this can be so. Your saying a team gets a comp pick for an unrestricted free agent? Why?

There would be an awful lot of comp picks out there if that were the case.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, that actually makes sense. There were a lot of comp picks given out in the 3rd in 2005. If Turner does as well as I think he will as a full time starter, the Chargers probably will get a comp pick.

hoos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boltjolt said:
kmac said:

I don't see how this can be so. Your saying a team gets a comp pick for an unrestricted free agent? Why?

You do get compensatory picks for losing UFAs, however, they are not very often 3rd round picks. I doubt they would receive a 3rd for a backup RB, more likely a 5, 6, or 7.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Mike Turner facts

http://www.nfl.com/freeagency/afc-restricted

AFC restricted free agents

A total of 94 restricted free agents received qualifying offers from their old clubs and are subject to the first refusal/compensation system of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

The old club has a right of first refusal to all players listed below. Compensation is as listed in the column on the right. If the old club simply has a right of first refusal but is not entitled to any compensation, the designation "ROFR" (right of first refusal) appears in the column. In order to submit an offer sheet, a new club must have available the required choice or choices, defined as its own or better choices in the applicable rounds, in the 2007 NFL Draft. Offer sheets may be submitted to players in this category no later than 11:59 p.m., New York time, on April 20.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seeing that video, theres not enough to go on based on those games against weak opponents to say hes a franchise type player.

but damn, i saw lots of things i liked. he looks awesome, body wise speed wise. lots of nice one cut runs that would just be outstanding in the ZBS. doesnt go down easy. if we some how grab him, i think he can do a lot of damage on this team. and i love that hes is only 25. a young back to grow with our young line.

just for a second imagine this lineup

Driver / Jennings clifton/spitz/wells/colledge/taush/Franks Moss
Farve
Turner/Morency

even without an upgrade at Tight end... thats a pretty threating offensive lineup. if that happens, and i was a fan of anyother team in the NFC north... i would be freakin terrified.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:

That's not how it works. Chances are you get a Day 2 pick for him if he leaves and it depends on his production. 3rd is the highest compensation pick that you get rewarded. The only reason you got a 3rd for Brees was because he was your starting QB for a few years. Turner is your backup RB. The League won’t reward a 3rd round compensation pick for a backup RB. I'd guess a 5th.

Only way you get a 3rd is if LT goes down and Turner puts up respectable numbers.

Apocalypse

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Nah, even the Jets received a 3rd round pick for Lamont Jordan and he was their backup when he left. Its all about money. Turner needs to be the highest paid FA next season, then the Chargers would get a 3rd round pick. But with Freeney out there its not going to happen. The Chargers could get a 4th round pick at best. My guess would be 5th.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Okay both of you are correct in you statements, below is how it works minus the formula, which I am told is guarded closely.

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9341500

Under terms of the NFL Collective Bargaining Agreement, a team losing more or better compensatory free agents than it acquires in a year is eligible to receive compensatory draft picks.

The number of picks a team receives equals the net loss of compensatory free agents up to a maximum of four. The 32 compensatory choices announced will supplement the 223 choices in the seven rounds of the 2006 NFL Draft (April 29-30). This year, the compensatory picks will be positioned within the third through seventh rounds based on the value of the compensatory free agents lost.

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Three clubs this year (Buffalo, Seattle and Washington) will receive a compensatory pick even though they did not suffer a net loss of compensatory free agents. Under the formula, the compensatory free agents these teams lost were ranked higher than the ones they signed (by a specified point differential based upon salary and performance).

The following 2006 draft picks have been determined by the NFL Management Council:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NFL_Draft

Compensatory Picks
In addition to the 32 picks in each round, there are a total of up to 32 picks dispersed at the ends of Rounds 3 through 7. These picks, known as "compensatory picks," are awarded to teams that have lost more qualifying free agents than they gained the previous year in free agency. Teams that gain and lose the same number of players but lose higher-valued players than they gain also can be awarded a pick, but only in the seventh round, after the other compensatory picks. Compensatory picks cannot be traded, and the placement of the picks is determined by a proprietary formula based on the player's salary, playing time and postseason honors with his new team, with salary being the primary factor. So, for example, a team that lost a linebacker who signed for $2.5 million per year in free agency might get a sixth-round compensatory pick, while a team that lost a wide receiver who signed for $5 million per year might receive a fourth-round pick.

If fewer than 32 such picks are awarded, the remaining picks are awarded in the order in which teams would pick in a hypothetical eighth round of the draft.

Boltjolt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boltjolt said:
kmac said:

It happens every year. What do you think Drew Brees was? He was a UFA.
I fully expect to get a 3rd rd comppick for Brees this year...and probably a couple of lower ones for others we lost.

Comp picks are determined by a lot of things but mostly by what kind of contract the player gets from another team, makes the roster, is a starter and any awards he may get ...like making the probowl for example, or winning a rushing title.

As franchise you also have to lose more FA's than you sign and our GM AJ Smith hardly ever jumps into that pool. We signed two last year..cheap guys,one tyear before and arent going to get any this year.

Havent you guys ever got a comp pick before?

Not every team gets them. There are 32 comp picks handed out and the most a single team can get is 4. It is determined by what i wrote above.

You guys just watch...when the comp picks get announced which should be any day now...we will get a 3rd and it will be for Drew Brees....plus a couple more lower ones.

Boltjolt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
seeing that video, theres not enough to go on based on those games against weak opponents to say hes a franchise type player.

but damn, i saw lots of things i liked. he looks awesome, body wise speed wise. lots of nice one cut runs that would just be outstanding in the ZBS. doesnt go down easy. if we some how grab him, i think he can do a lot of damage on this team. and i love that hes is only 25. a young back to grow with our young line.

just for a second imagine this lineup

Driver / Jennings clifton/spitz/wells/colledge/taush/Franks Moss
Farve
Turner/Morency

even without an upgrade at Tight end... thats a pretty threating offensive lineup. if that happens, and i was a fan of anyother team in the NFC north... i would be freakin terrified.

One of those opponents in there was our playoff game against the Patriots.

He also had over 100 in the 2005 season against the Colts when he ripped off that 83 yard run.

Turner is good and i really dont want to lose him but it is inevidible sometime down the road.

Boltjolt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boltjolt said:
kmac said:

That's not how it works. Chances are you get a Day 2 pick for him if he leaves and it depends on his production. 3rd is the highest compensation pick that you get rewarded. The only reason you got a 3rd for Brees was because he was your starting QB for a few years. Turner is your backup RB. The League won’t reward a 3rd round compensation pick for a backup RB. I'd guess a 5th.

Only way you get a 3rd is if LT goes down and Turner puts up respectable numbers.

Well i hate to tell you that you are wrong. Hey i dont claim to know the exact formula but i do read up on it and i have a decent idea and what your saying is not correct..... i mean it does depnd on the production but the size of the contract is the biggest thing, and then you add on performance and such. Production is the production he gives out on his new team, not on our team.

Your last sentence does not apply...im talking about if we dont trade him and he signs a big contract elsewhere the following year.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Boltjolt said:
kmac said:

Well i hate to tell you that you are wrong. Hey i dont claim to know the exact formula but i do read up on it and i have a decent idea and what your saying is not correct..... i mean it does depnd on the production but the size of the contract is the biggest thing, and then you add on performance and such.

Your last sentence does not apply...im talking about if we dont trade him and he signs a big contract elsewhere the following year.

Your banking a lot on Turner becoming a stud instead of a dud.

Boltjolt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boltjolt said:
porky88 said:
Boltjolt said:
kmac said:

Well i hate to tell you that you are wrong. Hey i dont claim to know the exact formula but i do read up on it and i have a decent idea and what your saying is not correct..... i mean it does depnd on the production but the size of the contract is the biggest thing, and then you add on performance and such.

He is already a stud he just doesnt get enough carries.
We Charger fans know how good he is and apparently other teams GM's do too.

OP
OP
P

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
porky88 said:
Boltjolt said:
porky88 said:
Boltjolt said:
kmac said:

I agree but injuries factor in as does the team he goes to. If he ends up in Oakland or Cleveland I wouldn't put much stock into getting that 3rd rounder. A.J. Smith is like most GM's. A buisness man. He'll trade Turner if he gets what he believe is fair value.

Boltjolt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boltjolt said:
porky88 said:
Boltjolt said:
porky88 said:
Boltjolt said:
kmac said:

I agree but injuries factor in as does the team he goes to. If he ends up in Oakland or Cleveland I wouldn't put much stock into getting that 3rd rounder. A.J. Smith is like most GM's. A buisness man. He'll trade Turner if he gets what he believe is fair value.

Yep, it is a chance you take and he took that chance with Brees and it worked out. However, I do know AJ Smith does like what Turner brings to the team and he really wants to win a championship. If he thinks Turner is a key to that, he wont trade him unless he gets a very good deal for him.

Im just going off of what he has said in the press locally in San Diego and from past comments on wanting to win it all. He knows how good the team is. He gave Tirner the higest tender for a reason and doubt he did it just to swap places in the first round with a trade. He'll want more or he wont make a trade. He does stick to his guns when he believes strongly in something.

Heres an example:

He did not like Donnie Edwards whining every yer about his contract and tried to trade him last year but gave a deadline for a deal to be made. He asked for a 2nd rounder which i agree is a bit steep but the Saints were really interested and they offered a 3rd and he turned them down a couple times.

They finally offered that 2nd but it was the day after the deadline he set and said no to them.

He wanted the team set by a certai date and they were a day late...they lost but still got another player and had a fine season.

And he would have really liked to trade Edwards too because he thought he was a distraction because he was really letting it be known that he wasnt happy with his contract and some of the players didnt like it.

Boltjolt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just saw that the comp picks have been announced and we got a 3rd and a 5th

Here is who we lost and gained.

SAN DIEGO -- Lost: Drew Brees, Reche Caldwell, Ben Leber, Justin
Peelle.
Signed: Marlon McCree, Aaron Shea.

Chevelle2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
does the chargers receiving comp picks increase/decrease/doesnt change the likelyhood of a turner deal?

Boltjolt

Cheesehead
Reaction score
does the chargers receiving comp picks increase/decrease/doesnt change the likelyhood of a turner deal?

To be honest i dont know. You can not trade comp picks.

It is nice to get an extra 3rd rounder but i dont know if that would effect a trade for Turner.
AJ still has his idea of what he would take for him so thats the best answer i can give.
Will he stand firm at a first and third?

Dont know.

Maybe he would take a first but he made the highest tender id guess so teams that are willing to give that up couldnt just make it impossible to negotiate by offering him something we cant match and then he has no control over it.

Maybe he would take a first and a player instead of another pick since he has that comp pick now.

At least with the highest tender he can negotiate.

The only thing i do know is he really likes Turner and what he does for the team. He also returned KO's for us and did a great job

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts