Prevent defense??? Why????!!!!!

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do coaches do this?? I'm watching the Rams/49ers game. The 49ers shut down the Rams all day, then on the last drive they just let them march right down the field, 10 yards at a time and score.

Now I couldnt have cared less who won this game, but it just dumbfounds me why coaches use this defense. It NEVER works.

Cdnfavrefan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Prevent Defence prevents you from winning. I've always wondered too. I can see it if the other team needs a td but if they only need a FG I can't agree with it

OP
OP
IronMan

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Giants did the same thing against the Titans today. Shut them down for 3 quarters, then go soft in the 4th, and just let them march up and down the field. When will coaches ever learn??

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they do it because it guards against the big big big play. It's more out of fear than of good strategy. I agree it's a dumb strat to use and frankly I'd just cloud 3-4 defenders and send the rest after the QB.

OP
OP
IronMan

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think they do it because it guards against the big big big play. It's more out of fear than of good strategy.

The only time it should be used is if its the last play of the game, and the other team has a long way to go to score. Not when your up by 21 in the 4th quarter. You play the defense that shut them out for 3 quarters.

Cory

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cory said:
I think they do it because it guards against the big big big play. It's more out of fear than of good strategy.

The only time it should be used is if its the last play of the game, and the other team has a long way to go to score. Not when your up by 21 in the 4th quarter. You play the defense that shut them out for 3 quarters.

Trust me I'm not arguing with you on that point. I don't understand it, either.

4packgirl

Cheesehead
Reaction score
my dad & i have talked about this for YEARS!! neither one of us has ever come up with a valid reason for doing it. don't give up the big play but settle for the small ones that effectively do the same thing?!? makes perfect sense, right?!? ;)

Members online

Latest posts