Predicting the '08 draft [merged with other draft threads]

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Predicting the '08 draft

We can't keep drafting DT's can we? We have a stockpile of them. Sure they have gotten injured but there comes a point when you just say enough is enough. Either let these guys go if they can't stay healthy or go with what you got. Here's a tip however, don't draft another DT with a injury history!

Agreed. We need our DTs to stop getting hurt.

The problem is, of any position, I don't think DTs last very long. I don't have time to research this, but I'm assuming DTs have some of the shorter "life expectancies" compared to other positions.

Reaction score
Predicting the '08 draft

On JSOnline.com, they had an article looking at Thompson's strategy for building a team, and whether it would change given this past season.

One thing Thompson said stuck out to me, "Do you make yourself a better team by taking somebody at a different position that is a lesser player?" Thompson said. "I understand he might get on the field quicker and might play a little faster and be more of a fan favorite because of a need that is identified, but I still think it's better to err on the side of taking a quality player."

Interesting. I'm reconsidering my thinking that Thompson should take a CB with the #1.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ted is unpredictable when it comes to the draft, there are a few positions that will be in demand on this roster in a few years. As of now the biggest hole is safety. We need that big time hard hitting safety. That should be a big focus in the 08 draft.

With all due respect, that's the last thing we need. Rouse hits, Bigby hits, Collins hits...we need a ball-hawking safety. One that can cover and not be three or four steps behind the receiver.

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score

KGB94SACKEM said:
We can't keep drafting DT's can we? We have a stockpile of them. Sure they have gotten injured but there comes a point when you just say enough is enough. Either let these guys go if they can't stay healthy or go with what you got. Here's a tip however, don't draft another DT with a injury history!

Agreed. We need our DTs to stop getting hurt.

The problem is, of any position, I don't think DTs last very long. I don't have time to research this, but I'm assuming DTs have some of the shorter "life expectancies" compared to other positions.

Our defensive scheme demands a lot from our DTs, that's why they get injured. Same thing happened with the Dolphins when they ran the scheme, but they didn't have the DT depth we have, and got in trouble every year late in the season going into the playoffs.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

BigPlay31 said:
Ted is unpredictable when it comes to the draft, there are a few positions that will be in demand on this roster in a few years. As of now the biggest hole is safety. We need that big time hard hitting safety. That should be a big focus in the 08 draft.

With all due respect, that's the last thing we need. Rouse hits, Bigby hits, Collins hits...we need a ball-hawking safety. One that can cover and not be three or four steps behind the receiver.
Rouse may fit that ball hawking bill.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score

NDPackerFan said:
BigPlay31 said:

Rouse may fit that ball hawking bill.

That's why I like him for '08. He's big, hits like a truck, and seems to be around the ball when he needs to be, not after a 20 yard completion.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Just finished watching Bucky in the Outback bowl and the....

Pack need to keep there eye on

Jerod Mayo - The weakside LB from Tennessee .

Only a Junior and I don't know if he's coming out but he
looks like the real deal.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The Badgers are what we thought we thought they were.

I don't think I've ever seen a Badger team that just can't tackle or cover anyone like this team.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Your preaching to the choir......Incredibly bad safety and..

I don't think I've ever seen a Badger team that just can't tackle or cover anyone like this team.

LB play.

Hammer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Your preaching to the choir......Incredibly bad safety a

I thought the play calling was kinda bad at times on offense, but what happened to that great D that they were supposed to have?
They really missed Stellmacher I think, and I'll agree about the tackling.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

if the pack had their eye on anyone, I wish it were Travis Beckam, PJ Hill & Tyler Donovan!!

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score

if the pack had their eye on anyone, I wish it were Travis Beckam, PJ Hill & Tyler Donovan!!

Donovan?
:roll:

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

dhpackr said:

Donovan?
:roll:

i thought he showed some toughness, he played through quite a few injuries today

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Donovan has zero chance making it in the NFL as a QB.

Yes he is tough.....but very limited as a QB.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Just finished watching Bucky in the Outback bowl and the....

I saw plenty of Badger teams who played defense and offense like they did today... In the 1970s

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The only Badger I would take today is Jack Ikegwuonu.

Lock down corners are the hardest thing to find in the NFL.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Donovan has zero chance making it in the NFL as a QB.

Yes he is tough.....but very limited as a QB.

if tyler was undrafted, i'd at least give him a workout.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The only Badger I would take today is Jack Ikegwuonu.

Lock down corners are the hardest thing to find in the NFL.

i hope the packers pass on ikegwuonu.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score

There must be another Tyler Donovan cause the one playing for Bucky is alot weaker passer than Stocco was and he could not get a sniff in the NFL.
Maybe he could be a holder for kicks or something.

PackerLegend

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Just finished watching Bucky in the Outback bowl and the

Its impossible with TT and he has proven that. The only pick that we really thought he might take was Hawk other then that there wasnt anybody.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Its impossible with TT and he has proven that. The only pick that we really thought he might take was Hawk other then that there wasnt anybody.

Good point. As much as we hope for certain guys, TT picks somehow slide past our collective radar, thus he "passes over" our favorite prospects, and thus we hate his picks :D

Maybe this year I'll have some unleavened bread and smear lamb's blood on my doorposts in preparation for the draft.....

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Our defensive scheme demands a lot from our DTs, that's why they get injured. Same thing happened with the Dolphins when they ran the scheme, but they didn't have the DT depth we have, and got in trouble every year late in the season going into the playoffs.

Very interesting note, Bertram. I have never heard that, but I'll take ur word for it. If there is a true correllation between our scheme and DT injuries, TT looks like an absolute Einsteinian mad genius for his Harrell pick.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pack_in_black said:

Good point. As much as we hope for certain guys, TT picks somehow slide past our collective radar, thus he "passes over" our favorite prospects, and thus we hate his picks :D

Maybe this year I'll have some unleavened bread and smear lamb's blood on my doorposts in preparation for the draft.....

Heh. I've spent too much time hating TT's picks and learning I was wrong and he was right. So now, whatever he does, I'm sure it will work out. I now just keep my mouth shut.

The thing is though, it still is fun predicting what he will do. That's why I did this thread.

I honestly do think though that we won't be so BPA, and we'll be a hybrid system, meaning that it will be BPA of certain positions. For example, we're NOT going to get another QB unless it's like 5th, 6th, or 7th round. We won't take a RB in the 1st 3 rounds. Our 1st or 2nd pick will be a CB. We may draft 2 CBs. Etc.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Predicting the '08 draft

I would say I agree, z, if this were any other NFL GM. TT has given the finger to so many of my projections and ideas of "needs" that I just can't predict what he'll do.

But you're right, it's a ton of fun to throw names out and look at scouting reports, etc.

I was thinking about the qb drafting thing the other day and thought, "you know, I wouldn't be surprised if 'ol TT took another QB with #1 this offseason." Kind of an "eff you" to the league and all the analysts, experts, et al. Would make ZERO sense to do it, but that's evidently why he usually drafts guys. And it works. :lol:

Bertram

Cheesehead
Reaction score

pack_in_black said:

Very interesting note, Bertram. I have never heard that, but I'll take ur word for it. If there is a true correllation between our scheme and DT injuries, TT looks like an absolute Einsteinian mad genius for his Harrell pick.

It's because we don't blitz very much, that puts a very big load on our DTs to cause disruption and bring the pressure and they will have no help from LBs and DBs, Dolphins had the same scheme as I mentioned and they suffered a lot of DT injuries likewise. However are deep at DT and that's why we will succeed where the Dolphins struggled.

Members online

Latest posts