Practice Squad Rule Changes

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That's kind of a big deal on Tolzien. It gives them the option to keep Flynn and still keep Tolzien in the system without having to keep 3 QB's.

D

Deleted member 6794

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well this settles the whole QB discussion in my book if Tolzien can indeed be placed on the PS. Of course, if a team lost its starter they could still sign Tolzien away like any other PS player.

I like the move from 8-10. It essentially allows each team to stash an extra player from each position away in case of emergency.

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tolzien would be picked up off waivers by the Niners as soon as we try to place him on the practice squad.

They traded for Gabbert to be their backup. What reason do we have other than pure speculation to think they would clear a spot on their 53 after it's already set just to make room for Tolzien to be their 3rd string QB again?

If they do, good for him. Great if he makes it to the PS, but not going to lose sleep over losing Tolzien.

D

Deleted member 6794

They traded for Gabbert to be their backup. What reason do we have other than pure speculation to think they would clear a spot on their 53 after it's already set just to make room for Tolzien to be their 3rd string QB again?

If they do, good for him. Great if he makes it to the PS, but not going to lose sleep over losing Tolzien.

Gabbert has been a major disappointment during the preseason with the Niners and they're looking to add another backup.

BTW the way I understand the rulesTolzien wouldn't be practice squad eligible.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I like the change too. I expect we'll see more "stealing" from practice squads. But as far as I can tell, players on the PS still have the choice whether or not to go to the team that wants them. And the "original" team can pay them more to stay on the PS.

I wish the league would increase the number of actives on game day, so for example, the Packers could have an OC, OG, and OT ready in case of injuries. Since I'm wishing I wish the Packers had adequate backups at all three spots.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

Gabbert has been a major disappointment during the preseason with the Niners and they're looking to add another backup.

BTW the way I understand the rules Tolzien wouldn't be practice squad eligible.

I believe you may be right about Tolzien's non-eligibity. While I don't think Tolzien has had 32 games of active roster service, it's my understanding he spent much if not all of his 2 years in SF on the PS. If memory serves, he was on the Packer's PS for 6+ games (per the new rules) last season, which would indicate he's exhausted his 3 years of PS eligibility.

While it may be a moot point, I'm not sure SF would want him back despite their kind words in the past regarding his work ethic and knowledge. After all, they did let him go after 2+ years of investment. I don't know if CLE is in need of a #3; they tried to sign him off the Packer PS last year however the Packers offered him a raise and he elected to stay as a PS player.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
I like the change too. I expect we'll see more "stealing" from practice squads. But as far as I can tell, players on the PS still have the choice whether or not to go to the team that wants them. And the "original" team can pay them more to stay on the PS.

I wish the league would increase the number of actives on game day, so for example, the Packers could have an OC, OG, and OT ready in case of injuries. Since I'm wishing I wish the Packers had adequate backups at all three spots.
your right. PS players are free agents and can be signed by any team at any time, like the week before you play them. PS players need to be protected and be exclusive to the team for that year. They need to have rules in place that say once you activate a PS player he can't go back on the PS during that season in order to prevent the PS from becoming a taxi squad.

OP
OP
H

HardRightEdge

ligibil
Tolzien is in his 4th year.
The way I read these new rules for the 2 veteran spots, a guy could be on an active roster for 31 games and on PS for the other 17 and still be PS eligible in his 4th. year.

As I subsequently stated, it does not appear that Tolzien would be PS eligible, but my reading of these rules indicates a 4th. year does not necessarily disqualify a guy.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts