Potential Upsets This Weekend I Need Opinions On

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Just heard an interesting stat on the Dan Patrick Show. Historically Dallas has won 73% of their games after their bye weeks. On top of that, Dez Bryant and Miles Austin will both be healthy, NE's defence is atrociously bad and I think Dallas is due for a "statement game". I think I'm going Dallas this week.

Good stuff.

Go Romo. Make that statement. I mean when you think about Romo he has to play well for a few weeks now right? The big meltdown again is not due this soon.

Rob Ryan is throwing the kitchen sink at Brady I read. I fully expect to see a sink on the field Sunday.

Do not let me down Cowboys. Ruffle up some Patsie feathers.

And Niners for the love of God end this Lions Cinderella train for a week, I beg you. Harbaugh do your thing.

Also taking Buffalo on the road, why not? Buffalo is good. Let's turn it over again Eli. Bills lead the league in getting turnovers I think.

Will take the Falcons to win but this one is tough. Panthers can have issues stopping the run. And Falcons losing two at home in a row......hmmm. Take Atlanta right now.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Yeah if someone told me the Pats win by only scoring 20 I might have changed my mind!!!!!

But, they came close to losing. Damnit Cowboys.....can't finish games and tease you a lot. I give up on the NFC East. When I want a team in that division to win they lose. When I want one to lose they win.

Lions? Yeah is it too early to think about Atlanta beating them? ;)

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
Romo sucks lol Dallas is never going to be serious under him.

Good WR set, great TE, alright RB's, and then a bad quarterback to give a good young head coach a bad name.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I figured we might get a week of good Romo. I think his last meltdown is still fresh in his mind though. 13 points. Against the Pats D.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
idk if I would place all the blame on Romo for this game, Garrett took the ball out of his hands when they could have "stepped on the jugular" and tried running the ball. If there is one thing you can't do with the Pats....it's let up on the gas because Brady will try and beat you to the very end

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Looking ahead to next weekend the only juicy/realistic upset pick as of now would be Atlanta over Detroit. (them again?)

Sure, we will hear all week that the Lions will be pissed and take it out on the Falcons. They won't lose two in a row and especially at home. (what are they the Pats now?)

Not sure if there is any big injury news right now for either team but Matt Ryan will be in a dome, he functions indoors.

Matt Ryan will be the best QB the Lions have played yet. And this is by far not the best QB the Falcons have played yet.

Thoughts?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
This one could go either way. You might pick the Falcons and take a chance at winning some money. Or you could wager on how many times Schwartz fist pumps on the sideline during the game....

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Right now, leaning towards Atlanta. I think Turner can run on them quite well and Ryan might have a nice game. Have not decided on a pick yet for the game however.And the Falcons can stop the run pretty decently right? Sounds like another game were Stafford will have to win it for them.

Any other decent upsets this weekend on the horizon?

Oh and btw. Don't be shocked if my Colts pull off a shocking win before this year is over. The law of averages will start to favor us eventually to win a game. We are better then our record. We nearly beat the Bucs and Steelers.In fact, so far Painter has been pretty decent.

Pick the Saints this weekend but mostly because they are coming off a loss. It's a tough environment to play in.

I have this crazy hunch the Colts might scare NE in December. We know them well, we have too many veterans who do. Even when Brady was out their team nearly beat us in 2008.

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Right now, leaning towards Atlanta. I think Turner can run on them quite well and Ryan might have a nice game. Have not decided on a pick yet for the game however.And the Falcons can stop the run pretty decently right? Sounds like another game were Stafford will have to win it for them.

Any other decent upsets this weekend on the horizon?

Oh and btw. Don't be shocked if my Colts pull off a shocking win before this year is over. The law of averages will start to favor us eventually to win a game. We are better then our record. We nearly beat the Bucs and Steelers.In fact, so far Painter has been pretty decent.

Pick the Saints this weekend but mostly because they are coming off a loss. It's a tough environment to play in.

I have this crazy hunch the Colts might scare NE in December. We know them well, we have too many veterans who do. Even when Brady was out their team nearly beat us in 2008.

You've got some real interesting posts in a couple of threads here. You sure you're not a Packers fan???

You might be right on Atlanta. I can hope. The Lions' weakness is against the run up the middle. A couple of different backs have demonstrated that. It's the natural downfall of the "wide 9". The Colts over NE would be the upset of the year, but if you go with that one, don't put too much money on it. I'd like to think you won't be broke for Christmas.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
You've got some real interesting posts in a couple of threads here. You sure you're not a Packers fan???

You might be right on Atlanta. I can hope. The Lions' weakness is against the run up the middle. A couple of different backs have demonstrated that. It's the natural downfall of the "wide 9". The Colts over NE would be the upset of the year, but if you go with that one, don't put too much money on it. I'd like to think you won't be broke for Christmas.

Have yet to make up my mind officially on the game. I think Atlanta has some good matchups in this game though. Hard to see the Lions maybe dropping two in a row at home but they are hardly unbeatble. The Falcons can run on them and stop the run decently themselves. Matt Ryan is also pretty decent indoors.

I am ticked off the Cowboys lost the Pats game. The game was there for them to take IMO and it's on their offense.

As for the Colts, I have yet to pick us to win a game this year. Just never liked the matchups. Week 1, thats tough even with Peyton on the road in Houston. They creamed us last year week 1. Week 2, even with Peyton we have historically struggled with the Browns. That is one trend I have stuck with all these years. Week 3, we matchup well with the Steelers this year. Our defensive speed and especially at DE was going to give them trouble. Week 4, Bucs....well this one I was torn on. I thought we might have gotten beaten by more. I was not impressed by the Bucs. Then we had the Chiefs. With Manning last year we struggled to beat them at home. We just got through with Cincy, did not like the matchup. Thats an underrated D. Cincy is pretty underrated.

The team made a huge mistake going with Collins. Not sure what the deal there was. He is a horrible fit for our offense and takes too long to release the ball. With Painter possibly starting the first two games he might have been warmed up more and ready and we possibly beat Steelers/Bucs.

This weekend in NO we are 14 point underdogs. Yes I know Brees is great but that might be a bit high depending on how the Saints D plays. It's indoors and our D will be fast. Problem is we are missing possibly a few more key players like Addai and a few on both lines. I do think we might be able to exploit the Saints D though. They are coming off a loss though sadly, but to the Bucs? Thats a big alarm for me with the Saints.

Not sure who I like as a true upset this week yet. Falcons over Lions seems like the sexiest so far and most realistic. If my Colts upset a quality team it won't be predicted ahead of time. The odds will increase though with every game that eventually we will win a few. I would be beyond shocked if we finished 0-16.

Interesting the Colts play several SB/playoff hopeful contenders this season; Pats/Saints/Ravens/Falcons/Titans/Texans. I get a good sense of who I think is for real or who isn't after we play them. :) The pressure is on everyone not to lose to the Manning less Colts. It's embarrassing to do so it seems.

No don't worry, I won't be losing money. I am not silly enough to bet a lot on a team like the Colts this year. I don't really bet much money anyway unless it's a big game (usually playoffs) and I feel strongly about a team.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I'm feeling really strong on the Atlanta/Detroit game. I still feel Atlanta poses one of the best teams to defeat the Packers. They really eat up the clock with running Turner and that is a weakness for the Lions. That will keep Detroit's offense off the field. Their defensive backs aren't HOF material but they do have a good D front. They are not as strong as the 49ers defensively but they are well ahead of them offensively.
Other good games without knowing the spread are Washington/Carolina, San Diego/Jets, Chicago/TB and Tenn/Houston.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Not sure yet about Lions/Falcons. I will flip a coin Friday. Last week I flipped a coin twice and got the Niners and Cowboys winning. Guess it worked for one team.

I do think the Falcons can win though.

Call me crazy (I don't drink or do drugs) but I am getting this funny optimistic feeling about the Colts/Saints game? I had the same feeling heading into the Steelers SNF game. The Saints are just waaaaay too favored to me. They might kill us but I am not convinced they will. I am starting to lose faith in the Saints, we'll see how for real they are Sunday night in a game they are supposed to roll in. We have shown up in prime time this year.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
All right, put me down for Falcons over Lions this weekend. Why not?

It's the best/realistic upset I can find. If I am wrong no biggie.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
All right, put me down for Falcons over Lions this weekend. Why not?

It's the best/realistic upset I can find. If I am wrong no biggie.
You have 'nads Jules. I don't know the spread on the Colts/Saints game so I can't comment. But when the spread gets way out there you have to take a look at it. After all, the winning teams kinda take their foot off the gas and the losing team has nothing to lose by not putting it all out there.
Personally I think the Saints are really good but they don't have any real rivalry stuff to want to pour it on the Colts and no matter what anybody anywhere has to say...
This is professional football, even the average teams are really darned good football players.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
You have 'nads Jules. I don't know the spread on the Colts/Saints game so I can't comment. But when the spread gets way out there you have to take a look at it. After all, the winning teams kinda take their foot off the gas and the losing team has nothing to lose by not putting it all out there.
Personally I think the Saints are really good but they don't have any real rivalry stuff to want to pour it on the Colts and no matter what anybody anywhere has to say...
This is professional football, even the average teams are really darned good football players.

I have not really liked the way Detroit has looked the last 3 games. I feel they should have another loss right now too and it should have been against the Cowboys if someone could teach them how to hold onto a 24 point freaking lead.... I feel this may be a risk more then last week since the Lions just lost and it's in Detroit. But if the Falcons fan run the ball on them like the 49ers did they can win the game. Not sure if I trust the Falcons D though as much as the Niners D. I trust the Falcons O more then the Niners O though. And hey, isn't Matt Ryan decent indoors unless it's against the Packers? I am not sure the Falcons o line can hold up well enough but then again I was unsure if the Niners o line could as well and they proved me wrong. Speaking of o lines, the Cowboys o line held up decently as well against the Lions. Are the Lions really as fierce as we think on defense at times?

We'll see. Falcons also seem to alternate the year so far by winning and losing but not sure thats a trend I believe that much in.

As for the Colts/Saints, I am not picking the huge upset but am hoping for it. ;) Colts have played hard in prime time this year. Both the Saints/Colts though based on injury reports so far appear a bit banged up. I suppose the playing field would be more even if Brees could sit this one out though. :)

I know you guys will remember this but in 1997 the year before we drafted Manning an 0-10 Colts team upset the defending SB Champion Packers in a high scoring game.

Like I said, sometime this season I do believe we may beat a quality opponent. Upsets happen and we still have talent. We don't have good luck though thats for sure. (no pun intended by the luck comment)

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Okay, I was feeling the wrong AFC South team for an upset this weekend. Ugh.

Anyone have any guesses for an upset this week?

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I got 3 "potential" upsets I am flirting with for this weekend. I would love some opinions. I have yet to make up my mind yet on these games. I am feeling upset happy again......

1) Bucs vs. Saints-Can the Saints get swept by the Bucs? The Bucs are coming off a bye and might seem to have the Saints number lately. Blount will also be back. But, this is in NO and it is tough to imagine Brees won't do his best to win this game at home. Saints really need this game though, after this week they go to Atlanta.

2) Bears at Eagles-Still don't know what to think about these teams. I picked the Eagles to beat the overrated Cowboys coming off their bye. The Bears are also coming off their bye and their D has given Vick trouble in the past but is this years Bears D good enough? They have the style of D to limit big plays from Vick and keep some mobility in check.
Not sure if I trust the Bears offense though but they should be able to run on Philly. The Bears did beat the Eagles last year too.

3) Giants at Patriots-Don't look now but Brady enters this game with a passer rating of 104.4. Sure, but Eli Manning is at 102.1 and has only has turned it over 5 times this season compared to Brady's 8 interceptions. Thats right, Eli has been solid.
Can Eli come into Foxboro and hand the Pats their first home loss in the regular season since 08 and torch a very poor Patriots secondary?
Giants have been streak busters before and have been with NE.
Sure, the Pats don't lose back to back games often and should win this one but the Giants pose match up problems with their passing game and a defense that leads the league in sacks.

Thoughts?

Croak

Vincit qui patitur
Reaction score
Go with the Bears. I think they are better than people suspect and I suspect the Eagles are worse than people think.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Actually, The Bears have won three of their last four games against the Eagles and their last four against Vick.

Hmmmm.......

BTW if anyone else has another upset or one they are picking please do share.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I think the Bears will beat the Eagles, then all their loud mouth rude fans can take that "dream team to the Super Bowl" BS and shut up for good. They win ONE GAME and everyone is on their bandwagon. The Saints are still a bigger threat offensively than them.

cheesehurdler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I got 3 "potential" upsets I am flirting with for this weekend. I would love some opinions. I have yet to make up my mind yet on these games. I am feeling upset happy again......

1) Bucs vs. Saints-Can the Saints get swept by the Bucs? The Bucs are coming off a bye and might seem to have the Saints number lately. Blount will also be back. But, this is in NO and it is tough to imagine Brees won't do his best to win this game at home. Saints really need this game though, after this week they go to Atlanta.

I would pick the Saints. They're an almost entirely different team at home (3-0 so far at home), and they'll try their damnedest to distance themselves from the rest of the NFC south.

2) Bears at Eagles-Still don't know what to think about these teams. I picked the Eagles to beat the overrated Cowboys coming off their bye. The Bears are also coming off their bye and their D has given Vick trouble in the past but is this years Bears D good enough? They have the style of D to limit big plays from Vick and keep some mobility in check.
Not sure if I trust the Bears offense though but they should be able to run on Philly. The Bears did beat the Eagles last year too.

The Bears' chances against the Eagles depends on Matt Forte's financial situation. If they're going to pay him a small sum of money, he's going to play his butt off for his paycheck, and vice-versa if they give him a large sum of money. Who knows? He might even be holding out at one point in the season. As for the defense, I believe Vick is 1-4 against the Bears D, and I don't expect his luck to get any better. Sadly, the Bears will most likely win.

3) Giants at Patriots-Don't look now but Brady enters this game with a passer rating of 104.4. Sure, but Eli Manning is at 102.1 and has only has turned it over 5 times this season compared to Brady's 8 interceptions. Thats right, Eli has been solid.
Can Eli come into Foxboro and hand the Pats their first home loss in the regular season since 08 and torch a very poor Patriots secondary?
Giants have been streak busters before and have been with NE.
Sure, the Pats don't lose back to back games often and should win this one but the Giants pose match up problems with their passing game and a defense that leads the league in sacks.

Thoughts?

Now, that is a game to watch. It's really hard to make an accurate pick for this game. The Pats have a dynamic offense, but also one of the worst secondaries I've ever seen. The Giants are like the less extreme version of the Pats, with a good offense, but a damaged secondary with 7 DBs out due to injury. I would just watch it for the excitement factor.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Miami over KC or San Diego over the Pack. Those would be my two upset picks.

Packers off a bye in San Diego with half of GB there? Can't do it. And the Packers have too many matchups I like. I don't think they will get enough pressure on Rodgers (they have not gotten a good pass rush this year) and on offense Rivers is too much a wildcard to right now. If the Packers can limit the Chargers run game I like their D in this game. And I despite SD so I won't even consider this one. ;)

Miami? I would like it though to help the Colts suck for Luck. But, Chiefs are a tad underrated IMO and playing hard right now. Also, Haley won't shave until the team loses. Facial hair=wins.

Not feeling these two.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I would pick the Saints. They're an almost entirely different team at home (3-0 so far at home), and they'll try their damnedest to distance themselves from the rest of the NFC south.

The Bears' chances against the Eagles depends on Matt Forte's financial situation. If they're going to pay him a small sum of money, he's going to play his butt off for his paycheck, and vice-versa if they give him a large sum of money. Who knows? He might even be holding out at one point in the season. As for the defense, I believe Vick is 1-4 against the Bears D, and I don't expect his luck to get any better. Sadly, the Bears will most likely win.

Now, that is a game to watch. It's really hard to make an accurate pick for this game. The Pats have a dynamic offense, but also one of the worst secondaries I've ever seen. The Giants are like the less extreme version of the Pats, with a good offense, but a damaged secondary with 7 DBs out due to injury. I would just watch it for the excitement factor.

I am going to go with the Saints. They have to save face after the epic fail against the Rams at home.

I don't know what to think about Forte. I don't think I know enough about that either.I am not sure what I should expect from the Bears passing game either from week to week. I am going to take the Bears though.I am not seeing much love for the Bears chances of winning. I think the media is all over Philly.

As for Giants/Pats? Sheesh. I will sleep on this one. I mean I should pick NE. But, I picked the Giants to beat the Pats in the SB. I also think I want a Manning to beat NE once this year. :)I'll see how I feel on Giants/Pats tomorrow. It's tough to imagine the Pats losing back to back though. I just like some of the matchups the Giants have.

Pretty much no "experts" have been picking NE or Philly to lose.

Members online

Latest posts