Potential Software Upgrade (completely new platform)

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am throwing this out to the community and wanted to get some feedback. This site has been on vBulletin for a number of years and it has served us well. However, it has become increasingly obvious that in order for this site to continue to thrive and do well, we need to keep up with technology. Unfortunately, vBulletin is not the answer.

A couple other sites within our network have been upgrade to a completely new platform, XenForo. (http://xenforo.com/) This is a neat little platform with awesome bells and whistles that are geared to make a community thrive in the right way. If you visit the above link, you will see the number of features it has to offer for its users.

However, every cool thing comes with some drawbacks. Here are the list of features that will cease to exist if/when we switch:

- Arcade
- Packer Shop
- Albums (for a little while)
- Credits
- vbShout (possible to bring back though)

If a majority of members can live without the above then moving to XenForo is the right choice. It does offer a number great features that will really improve the overall "awesome" of this site. Here is a short list:

- Facebook Connect
- Built in Like System
- Sleek/Innovative Design
- Lots of Web 2.0 Capabilities
- Lots of Awesome Javascript Effects
- Built for Speed
- Built for the Future of Communities...

Anyways, post your thoughts here and let me know what you all think.

Thanks.

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just one of many interesting features they currently have. Also, they are going to be releasing version 1.1 of their software in about a month or so and it is going to release even more usable features within the forum.

OP
OP
robdog

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah that would defeat the whole purpose. But from what I have seen, it appears to work better and more efficient. So you should see your overall experience improve as you use the site.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think it's a good move. It looks to me like the gains would outweigh the losses (gut wrenching pang for the arcade). Overall it's what's best for the community as a whole and it's future. It may require some getting used to the new format and interface but I think it may be worth it in the end. Go to it, Robdog, fearless leader! :)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm kidding on the new computer guys! But I sure hope I'm still able to operate after all the changes... Not the most technologically knowledgeable guy around...

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
More bells and whistles usually slow down the connect speed. I'm maxed out speed-wise at just over satellite speed. IOW I cannot watch streaming video while someone else is doing online gaming or Netflix without both suffering. Will that be a problem? I never did much in the arcade. Credits and shop I never understood. All of that I really won't miss.

GreenBayGal

Cheese Goddess
Reaction score
Change sucks, technology speaking. It seems like every upgrade comes with headaches, well at least until all the bugs get worked out. GBG votes to keep up with the new technology even though it will require some learning. As much as I dislike the afore said "L" word, being in the now usually is best.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts