Post-game thread: Packers beat Lions

Reaction score
Packers win 34-13, with some interesting things going on during the game.

First though, the injuries:
CB Will Blackmon - foot injury (again)
G Junius Coston - left calf injury
G Jason Spitz - quad injury
RB Ryan Grant - shoulder stinger
QB Brett Favre - his ego, when he fell after his jacket got caught in his feet as he tried to run to congratulate Nall after Nall threw his TD

Secondly, a few interesting things from the game:
- A ton of blitzing this week, it seemed as if we blitzed on every play. would've liked to see a few more sacks as a result, but at least we got pressure on Kitna.

- Nick Collins played SS while Rouse played FS, but then when Bigby replaced Collins at S, Collins took over the nickel back duties. Possible experiment to see if Collins is the answer to our nickel back problems this season?

- B-JACK!!! Ran tough, made defenders miss, easily the best game of his short career thus far.

- Jon Ryan sure bounced back nicely, didn't he? It was great hearing the fans cheer when the Packers got a punt off. Funny stuff.

Packers are now off next week, here is the practice schedule:

Monday: Players off
Tuesday: Players off
Wednesday: Players off
Thursday: Players off
Friday: Practice
Saturday: Practice
Sunday: Players off
Monday: Players off
Tuesday: TBD

(Source: JSOnline)

gopackgo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good to see Jackson doing well, and Koren getting his first Lambeau Leap. I know it's the Lions, and they had nothing to play for, but our backups played great. Let's hope we can heal up!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
all about da packers said:
- A ton of blitzing this week, it seemed as if we blitzed on every play. would've liked to see a few more sacks as a result, but at least we got pressure on Kitna.

- Nick Collins played SS while Rouse played FS, but then when Bigby replaced Collins at S, Collins took over the nickel back duties. Possible experiment to see if Collins is the answer to our nickel back problems this season?

AADP - 2 things I wanted to comment on - the blitzing and the S position.

The blitzing - I'm sure MM is aware that if we want to win the SB, we're simply going to have to get to Romo and Brady. If we don't get pressure on either of them, we're in trouble. So he's been experimenting with blitzing two of the past 3 weeks (not the Bears game).

As for S - MM's aware that if we have a weakness on D, it's our S and 3rd CB position. So he's experimenting here, seeing what works best.

I got to give MM credit. The guy's been absolutely excellent at working with what he's given, and trying out different things until he gets the best possible results. I'd love to see the guy get Coach of the Year.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A lot of fans wanted McCarthy to go all-out to win this game, but he played it smart and still came away with an easy victory. If Nall wasn't so rusty and the defensive backs hadn't dropped a couple interceptions, it would've been even more lopsided.

Several players got big confidence boosts today: Jon Ryan, Brandon Jackson, Koren Robinson, Ruvell Martin, Bubba Franks, and maybe you could also throw in Allen Barbre and Tony Moll. Desmond Bishop played most of the game at MLB but didn't make many plays.

I hope Ryan Grant is okay.

Isn't it weird that our mostly patchwork lineup made the Lions starters look bad?

Jon Kitna was terrible today, but the announcers spent most of the game praising him, as usual. I don't think he's any better than Harrington. He's just more well-liked.

The announcers also love Rod Marinelli, but I have yet to see any signs of him being an above average coach, not that it's easy to look good with Matt Millen's players.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very happy to see B. Jack have a huge game...his 46 yarder was an excellent run, and he was finally showing some of the elusiveness that I saw in tapes of him at Nebraska

Good for Koren and Bubba...I'm happy to see them continue to step up.

Negatives: Nall stunk up the joint, and I would have liked to see James Jones involved a little more, but this was possibly a product of Nall's crappy perfromance.

Also, how the heck did Rouse miss that easy pick along the goal line...geez!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Very happy to see B. Jack have a huge game...his 46 yarder was an excellent run, and he was finally showing some of the elusiveness that I saw in tapes of him at Nebraska

Good for Koren and Bubba...I'm happy to see them continue to step up.

Negatives: Nall stunk up the joint, and I would have liked to see James Jones involved a little more, but this was possibly a product of Nall's crappy perfromance.

Also, how the heck did Rouse miss that easy pick along the goal line...geez!

I'd give Nall some slack because he's learning a completely different offense than the team he played for in '04. Actually, for the short prep time, he didn't do too badly.

It's like expecting someone to have a lead on an assignment after only working there for three weeks. Our O is more complex than most Os in the NFL.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
nice to see bb franks in again.
I agree! I was thrilled to see big Bubba in action again! Think about it........him and Lee in a 2 TE set, we could have some "surprises" for teams in the playoffs! Things they don't expect!

Plus, with Nall........he is still learning the offense. Had Rodgers been healthy, Nall wouldn't have been on the field yesterday.
So to go in like that and play ok is pretty good considering the circumstances.
Hopefully we won't need either back up QB in the playoffs.........unless it's for mop up when we get a big lead!

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree! I was thrilled to see big Bubba in action again! Think about it........him and Lee in a 2 TE set, we could have some "surprises" for teams in the playoffs! Things they don't expect!
Brett and the offense thrived when having two quality tight ends going at the same time (chmura, jackson) so I'm happy to see Bubba with a little bit of spring in his step back.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
arrowgargantuan said:
any highlight videos uploaded yet?

There are several vids at www.nfl.com/video and go to Teams -> Green Bay

thanks bud.

i always like the home made ones that Slick and trom used to make, even if they pick ***** background music.

And let's not forget Zero. He's made some really cool ones too.

arrowgargantuan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
arrowgargantuan said:
Zombieslayer said:
arrowgargantuan said:

thanks bud.

i always like the home made ones that Slick and trom used to make, even if they pick ***** background music.

Slick=Zero :wink:

p.s. he loves it when people call him Slick.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
arrowgargantuan said:
Zombieslayer said:
arrowgargantuan said:

thanks bud.

Slick=Zero :wink:

p.s. he loves it when people call him Slick.

Oh. Did not know that.
Ok, I'll call him Slick instead of Zero then.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll probably make my return to video making with the playoff games. Can't resist forcing myself to watch packers playoff football over and over and over again in the editing process!

Members online

Latest posts