1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Possible surprises from McCarthy, Capers

Discussion in 'Packer Fan Forum' started by FrankRizzo, Jan 11, 2013.

1. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 59 / -33
    Packer Fan Since:
    What un-scouted, unseen stuff can we throw at the Niners?

I got some ideas:

Defense:
    Throw some 4-3 or Okie at the Niners, see if they're rehearsed enough to know their blocking assignments on runs or pass protection.

Offense:
    Put Cobb at RB, but use him as a decoy the first 2, 3 times, faking tosses to him one way, and having Rodgers throw to the other side, with the safety leaning the wrong way.

Move Cobb in motion a few times, and give him a handoff going left..... and on the second one a drive or two later, have him throw the ball deep. He used to be a QB. Well, like this:

Also, with both Justin and now, apparently maybe, Aldon a bit injured, and always working on their stunts and pass rush, get Willis or Bowman out of the game with the personnel like last game, and/or motion a TE the other way to move him over, and then run a ton of plays right at the Smith brothers.

The Giants, with the shorter Ahmad Bradshaw, ran right thru the Niners defense, even before they had any nagging injuries.

We should be able to as well, with their defense 99% focusing on Rodgers in the crosshairs.
  2. GreenBlood

GreenBlood Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +652 / 39 / -2
    I think with Woodson healthy and our DL a bit banged up, you might see Capers knock the dust off the psycho package.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. ivo610

ivo610 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +3,522 / 86 / -26
    I don't think it need to be much trickery in the play calling.

Packers offense has the personnel to do what the pats did to them in the first half.

Blitzing kaep is important as well.
  4. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 59 / -33
    Packer Fan Since:
    First half or second half?

Do we have the OL play and quick trigger QB enough to do it without taking too many big sacks?
    Clearly we have the WR's to do it though, unless the track is slow, muddy, and the zebra's allow their DB's to mug, hold, accost, molest our WR's & Finley past that 5-yard mark.
  5. PackFanNChiTown

PackFanNChiTown Bear Fan's Bane

Ratings:
    +348 / 22 / -4
    Winning would be a neat trick, it would be nice to wipe the "Pack can't beat the Niners in SF" scorn off everyone's face.
  6. 7thFloorRA

7thFloorRA Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +649 / 42 / -2
    I hope Capers forgot to pack the prevent zone for the trip. We haven't seen any corner or safety blitz packages in a while. Maybe an onside kick call from MM but other than that I hope the bag of trick plays stays unused. They haven't worked in a while after getting some good ones early in the season.
  7. HyponGrey

HyponGrey Caseus Locutus Est

Ratings:
    +1,019 / 54 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    Good solid football, I like it!
  8. LZ13

LZ13 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86 / 6 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    I think we will see Cobb pass today - I would bet this is a gadget play they have been saving for a game like this. And it probably will get us 6 pts.
  9. Southpaw

Southpaw Endorphin Junkie

Ratings:
    +422 / 16 / -4
    Why would we want to whip out the bullsh1t and trickery now?

I'd like us to stop trying to work the ball deep down field all the time. We need to utilize the no huddle, stick to the short/timed passing routes to keep Rodgers off his back and to chew up the clock because it's not going to be easy for us to run the ball.

We need to play the most sound fundamental football on both sides today in order to win. Execute our assignments. If we do that we'll come away with a victory.

If we try to get cute, we're going to lose. It's really simple.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,019 / 54 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    We tried that already, I know, I try hard not to remember it too
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. FrankRizzo

FrankRizzo Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,608 / 59 / -33
    Packer Fan Since:

I think McCarthy may have been setting this one up for awhile.... because when Cobb lines up in the backfield, he almost always runs the ball, and he does well.

49ers have seen it.

So McCarthy does what Pittsburgh did here in the Super Bowl win, and safety Dashon Goldson is suckered up a bit as he's going for another ACL-hunting knee shot, leaves Jordy or even Jeremy Ross to fly past him for the Cobb-to-Ross TD pass.

Harbaugh is a good coach and with an extra week off to prepare, he will have some new stuff we've never seen.
    We need to do some stuff that confuses their All-Pro stacked defense too.

And good call on the Capers prevent defense.
    3rd downs, we need pressure on the young QB, but not where he can just run around it and scramble for 10, 20 yards. That's the problem blitzing these great running QBs.
    You actually WANT them to stay in the pocket and be PASSERS.
  12. PFanCan

PFanCan That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.

Ratings:
    +710 / 14 / -2
    I got an idea! How about we quickly hand the ball to Kuhn up the middle on short yardage plays! That ought a work!

;)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. HyponGrey

Ratings:
    +1,019 / 54 / -6
    Packer Fan Since:
    No they expect that, better do it on second and long to catch them by surprise! They'll NEVER see it coming!!!
    • Funny Funny x 2
  14. LZ13

LZ13 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +86 / 6 / -0
    Packer Fan Since:
    We did, I guess? Truthfully I don't remember, but that is cause it probably did not work. Still, I think we will see it (again) tonight.

And I think there is room for "trickery", used at the right time and in moderation. Remember the QB planned run in the NFC game in 2010? Not that "tricky" but still not something we typically don't do - and it played a big part in quieting the CHI crowd and giving us the momentum. I would not go so far as to want to see onside kicks in the first quarter - that is just plain old gambling.