Possible surprise cuts this year?

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You certainly listed some surprises. Neal and House played well last year (albeit both battling injuries) but due to their youth and affordable contracts I just can't see them being cut.
That's why this is surprise, right? House has been kinda up and down this year in camp. I think Williams, Shields, Hayward, Hyde, and Bush are all ahead of him at this point (Bush for his special teams prowess). That puts House, Nixon and Smith on the bubble. I can certainly see them keeping either Smith or Nixon over him, which is why I put him as a possible surprise.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd be very surprised to see Neal, House or Worthy cut. Worthy has too much upside to let him go after his rookie season. House played well last year and Neal has shown enough flashes. Unless they really want to keep Starks or Kuhn, I can't see Green being cut: Lacy, Harris, Franklin, Green at RB.

None are real surprises, but I would be a bit surprised to see any of these guys on the final 53:

Kuhn
Quarless
DJ Williams
Starks

Would Franklin be too much of a surpise? We've cut 4th round picks before and he really hasn't done much yet. I think he needs to show something in the final two games or it's not out of the question. At this point I put his chances of making the team at about 65%. He's certainly not the lock one would assume him to be. As a RB, Pease has impressed me more. He looks a lot like Marshawn Lynch at times.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
That's why this is surprise, right? House has been kinda up and down this year in camp. I think Williams, Shields, Hayward, Hyde, and Bush are all ahead of him at this point (Bush for his special teams prowess). That puts House, Nixon and Smith on the bubble. I can certainly see them keeping either Smith or Nixon over him, which is why I put him as a possible surprise.
I can't. At all. House has had more "up" than either of them. His only hiccup was the ARI game, he's been solid in practice.

For the "Cheap contract Neal" quote, he's only cheap for 1 more year.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why are we so obsessed with recreating Woodson? I don't see Hyde's game comparing at all.
I don't want to re-create him. I just saw in him the ability to do the dirty work on the line if needed, ability to tackle like a man, be around the ball. He didn't seem like a typcial corner but more of a hybrid corner/safety. I like that...especially when the packers have had issues with tackling, covering tight ends and running backs in no mans land. What I miss about Woodson was that from a defensive back position he could legitimately rush the passer and blow up a run. I think Hyde is the kind of player that can do that as well. Bush has tried to be that guy when he is in and he sucks at it.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'd say Kuhn, but we can't replace him on ST which to our FO, when combined with his blocking on 3rd down, means chances are we can't get rid of him. Bush OTOH is going to have to fight to stay on. Wilson, Green possible trades. Sherrod or Pickett might wind up cut. Quarless and DJ Williams on the bubble. Tramon is almost completely safe right now. Starks is out, I can't bring myself to justify giving him a roster spot. Jolly still has a chance of being dropped. Barclay and Newhouse may end up expendable next year. Lattimore may wind up a not so surprising cut.
If Jolly gets cut and continues to play the way he has lately through the remainder - then I say we have to start taking a look at the coach and GM.

lambeaulambo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush doesn't get cut. He's one of the very best gunners in the NFL, period and he's a serviceable backup on defense when needed. You have to have a few guys like that. My surprise cut possibilities:

Kuhn (I guess it won't actually be that surprising, sounds like it)
Neal
Starks
Green
Worthy
House
Neal? Worthy? Not a chance.

12theTruth

Neal is a 2nd round pick. Considering Ted Thompson's history I just don't see him cut. He had the suspension and some games missed to injury. It is curious that they would move Neal to LB considering they had Perry returning this year.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
If Jolly gets cut and continues to play the way he has lately through the remainder - then I say we have to start taking a look at the coach and GM.
Age, upside, and contract length are big factors. Can't say I'd blame the FO for picking youth in Wilson Daniels Boyd or Neal, upside with Raji. and ability with Pickett. For Jolly to stay, one of those guys goes, and Neal and Wilson are the only guy's I'd possibly be willing to expend. Jolly's next contract might come cheap though, and "straight cash homie."

People are always looking to blame the coaches and GM. Even if all they did was make a solid football decision.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It is curious that they would move Neal to LB considering they had Perry returning this year.

I figured it was because OLB didn't have much depth after Matthews and Perry while DL with the return of Jolly and addition of Jones had lots of it. With Neal being a good pass rusher and having a build that could be molded into an OLB the staff told him that is the direction they wanted him to go, but HRE keeps telling me otherwise. Now I really don't know what to make of it.

12theTruth

Age, upside, and contract length are big factors. Can't say I'd blame the FO for picking youth in Wilson Daniels Boyd or Neal, upside with Raji. and ability with Pickett. For Jolly to stay, one of those guys goes, and Neal and Wilson are the only guy's I'd possibly be willing to expend. Jolly's next contract might come cheap though, and "straight cash homie."

People are always looking to blame the coaches and GM. Even if all they did was make a solid football decision.

Jolly > Pickett Younger, cheaper salary, more movement, creates more havoc. So yes I'd be concerned about the coach and GM if they cut Jolly despite the production and skill set he still provides.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Jolly > Pickett Younger, cheaper salary, more movement, creates more havoc. So yes I'd be concerned about the coach and GM if they cut Jolly despite the production and skill set he still provides.
Really? Pickett is arguably our best run defender, and currently our starting NT. Has Jolly ever played NT? Can't remember off the top of my head. Pickett is clearly the better player IMO, But I really like Jolly as an eventual replacement, and I wouldn be surprised if we released Pickett to keep Jolly for the very reasons you listed. I could also see it going the other way, and would understand the reasoning. It'll be interesting to predict who's next contract would be higher.

12theTruth

Jolly was arguably the best lineman (4-3) DT during the 2009 season for the Packers Defense. This on a 2nd ranked unit in the NFL against the run. He has the size to play NT and once again is younger, creates more havoc, etc. Pickett is reliable sturdy and effective taking on double teams. If Jolly as I suspect has returned to form than he will clearly be more disruptive to the other teams offensive line than Pickett. This isn't meant as a disrespect to Pickett who has played his role admirably but more of a recognition what Jolly can bring to our line this season.

I think you'll see him get more snaps against the Seahawks 1's this week. The only question for Jolly in my mind now is not whether he gets cut or not is how many formations Capers gets him in on heading into the regular season. I hope they keep an extra D-lineman this year as I really like and respect Ryan Pickett as a man and Green Bay Packer. I'd hate to see him get cut for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jolly was arguably the best lineman (4-3) DT during the 2009 season for the Packers Defense. This on a 2nd ranked unit in the NFL against the run. He has the size to play NT and once again is younger, creates more havoc, etc. Pickett is reliable sturdy and effective taking on double teams. If Jolly as I suspect has returned to form than he will clearly be more disruptive to the other teams offensive line than Pickett. This isn't meant as a disrespect to Pickett who has played his role admirably but more of a recognition what Jolly can bring to our line this season.

I think you'll see him get more snaps against the Seahawks 1's this week. The only question for Jolly in my mind now is not whether he gets cut or not is how many formations Capers gets him in on heading into the regular season. I hope they keep an extra D-lineman this year as I really like and respect Ryan Pickett as a man and Green Bay Packer. I'd hate to see him get cut for sure.

Pretty sure in 2009 we had capers and were a 3-4 and did Jolly ever really play NT? I always thought it was mostly Pickett and Raji playing NT, I could be wrong though. The reason I would not suspect Jolly playing much NT this season or playing a lot in week 3 of the preseason for that matter is 1) we are deep at DL now and 2) as someone pointed out Jolly has not played in 3 years we do not want him pulling a 2011 Raji and playing more snaps at a high demanding position then he can handle early on in the season. This would compromise his effectiveness in the second half of the season when we need him. I would be happy if Jolly gradually builds into more playing time as he readjusts to recovering from high snap counts and playing against 1st team offenses in the NFL.

OP
OP
A

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't imagine they'd cut Jolly now. Wait the guy out for 3 years, stick with him through multiple arrests, prison, rehab, suspension, and then when he finally overcomes it all and has a fantastic camp, cut him? Just wouldn't make any sense.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The good news for Jolly is that he's played his way back into the NFL, barring injury. If we cut him then somebody else will immediately sign him to a veteran minimum contract.

I disagree that they'll save his legs in Week 3. He's not an established veteran. He's fighting for a spot on the roster and he's got to play with the legs of a young guy. If he makes the 53-man roster, that's the time to put him on a count. Right now the name of the game is "show your worth."

Luca

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Surprise cuts are usually due to cap space. The biggest cap savings would be (= not equal to cap hit):
- Pickett 6.5 million (we have many talented lineman, but Pickett is too important for this D, so won't happen)
- Williams 4.5 million (we have many talented corners, still Williams is a better outside corner than House, Hayward and Hyde, so I think he is safe)
- J. Jones 3.2 million (NO)
- Raji 2.8 million (NO)
- Kuhn 2.2 million (might happen, but someone needs to replace him. I don't see a replacement for his pass blocking duties, so I think he is safe)

Actually, I think we already made our "surprise" cuts with Bishop and Woodson. And I think Crosby will be cut, but you can hardly say that is a surprise.

Members online

Latest posts