Possible surprise cuts this year?

adambr2

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Occasionally you'll see that final roster not include a player who was presumably a lock for the roster.

Think we will have a player like that this year? I suppose Kuhn might fit into that category, but most consider him on the bubble already -- and I do think he'll make the team.

Newhouse was a guy that I thought might see his job in danger entirely, but with Bulaga's injury, he's at least a valuable backup with no one below him really emerging as a better option.

I'm going to throw one out there that would be a shocker -- Tramon Williams. It would be an immediate $4M cap hit, but with a cap savings otherwise of $8.5M this year and $9.5M next. More than that, the emergence of Shields and Hayward, and to a lesser extent Hyde and House, would make this possible, and let them develop another young corner on the roster vs. keeping an expensive vet who won't be here in 2 years anyway, and hasn't been healthy so far in camp.

That said, I think Tramon is safe for now. If Hayward were healthy and Shields had been given a long-term deal, then I think it might be a different story. Still, this may be something that falls under much more consideration next offseason, and I think Tramon will need to have a very nice year to play out the final year of his contract next year.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I'd say Kuhn, but we can't replace him on ST which to our FO, when combined with his blocking on 3rd down, means chances are we can't get rid of him. Bush OTOH is going to have to fight to stay on. Wilson, Green possible trades. Sherrod or Pickett might wind up cut. Quarless and DJ Williams on the bubble. Tramon is almost completely safe right now. Starks is out, I can't bring myself to justify giving him a roster spot. Jolly still has a chance of being dropped. Barclay and Newhouse may end up expendable next year. Lattimore may wind up a not so surprising cut.

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I'd say Kuhn, but we can't replace him on ST which to our FO, when combined with his blocking on 3rd down, means chances are we can't get rid of him. Bush OTOH is going to have to fight to stay on. Wilson, Green possible trades. Sherrod or Pickett might wind up cut. Quarless and DJ Williams on the bubble. Tramon is almost completely safe right now. Starks is out, I can't bring myself to justify giving him a roster spot. Jolly still has a chance of being dropped. Barclay and Newhouse may end up expendable next year. Lattimore may wind up a not so surprising cut.

I can agree with most of that...just hoping that Jolly keeps improving, we could use his size....and I hope starks is gone, he is a waste of a roster spot indeed.

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I feel 2 minimum maybe three of the following are gone: Alex Green, James Starks, John Kuhn and J. Franklin.....I feel Franklin is safe so I will say Starks and one of the others will be cut.

I feel Quarless very well may be towards the end...I do feel though if TT gets rid of Bush that could be the roster spot that saves Quarless.

***Graham Harrell...I know that this is the toughest one I have on my short list of potential cuts. This one depends very heavily on how ready the staff feels VY is for the season. Love him or hate him Vince has proven he can win and won't shrink in the spotlight. I feel the newer more mature Vince under Rodgers is exactly the kind of back up we need. The question is if the team believes Coleman is set to keep improving and is worth keeping on as the 3rd option....otherwise it'll be Coleman out and Harrell stays (anyone know their contract costs in comparison??).

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score
I feel 2 minimum maybe three of the following are gone: Alex Green, James Starks, John Kuhn and J. Franklin.....I feel Franklin is safe so I will say Starks and one of the others will be cut.

I feel Quarless very well may be towards the end...I do feel though if TT gets rid of Bush that could be the roster spot that saves Quarless.

***Graham Harrell...I know that this is the toughest one I have on my short list of potential cuts. This one depends very heavily on how ready the staff feels VY is for the season. Love him or hate him Vince has proven he can win and won't shrink in the spotlight. I feel the newer more mature Vince under Rodgers is exactly the kind of back up we need. The question is if the team believes Coleman is set to keep improving and is worth keeping on as the 3rd option....otherwise it'll be Coleman out and Harrell stays (anyone know their contract costs in comparison??).

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/graham-harrell/

Says $630,00 for Harrell for this year, so he really aint costing us much, but he can still hit the dirt road imo. he sucks, not a very servicable back up

tynimiller

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/graham-harrell/

Says $630,00 for Harrell for this year, so he really aint costing us much, but he can still hit the dirt road imo. he sucks, not a very servicable back up

So neither is costing us much....and with VY hopefully knocking some rust off I'd say let him go. Continue to let Coleman grow and be honest if Rodgers goes down for an extended time we'd be hardpressed to make a lot of noise anyways.

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
As the OP said, Kuhn is on the bubble along with Starks, Harrell, Green, Quarless, Moses, Bush. Cutting any or all of these would not raise much shock. Out of the blue surprise cut would be Hawk or Goode.

12theTruth

Who deserves to be cut Crosby

Who I would cut if it weren't for the big salary cap hit Tramon Williams Why? Great depth at CB position. Williams 30 and now constantly injured. Don't see him returning to form.

Mild surprises for cuts: Kuhn, Moses, Quarless

The only way Bush would get cut if we go heavy on another position such as the defensive line. Good possibility. Bush has very limited value as a defensive player.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush doesn't get cut. He's one of the very best gunners in the NFL, period and he's a serviceable backup on defense when needed. You have to have a few guys like that. My surprise cut possibilities:

Kuhn (I guess it won't actually be that surprising, sounds like it)
Neal
Starks
Green
Worthy
House

H

HardRightEdge

I don't see any starters from last year on the outs...maybe some ex-starters such as Alex Green, Starks, Wilson, Kuhn or Bush.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to trade some of those guys along with Neal. I would add Newhouse to this group had Bulaga not gotten injured and with Bahktiari proving himself, but as it stands now, Newhouse is our only option backing up LT.

Some might be surprised by some possible cuts of 2nd. and 3rd. year backup players...Moses and Lattimore come to mind.

Maybe the most surprising possibility would be McMillan. I say that because his name hasn't seemed to come up in any conversations, probably because we don't have many safeties in camp. But he's into year 2 and still looks confused in coverage. If they see Hyde as a safety/nickel CB swing man, he could be gone.

H

HardRightEdge

As the OP said, Kuhn is on the bubble along with Starks, Harrell, Green, Quarless, Moses, Bush. Cutting any or all of these would not raise much shock. Out of the blue surprise cut would be Hawk or Goode.

Yes, Quarless is another I would add to the list. Why would we cut Goode? There are not many long snappers hanging around, the guy doesn't blow snaps, and it's a little late to work up snapper/holder/kicker chemistry.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I don't see any starters from last year on the outs...maybe some ex-starters such as Alex Green, Starks, Wilson, Kuhn or Bush.

I wouldn't be surprised if they're trying to trade some of those guys along with Neal. I would add Newhouse to this group had Bulaga not gotten injured and with Bahktiari proving himself, but as it stands now, Newhouse is our only option backing up LT.

Some might be surprised by some possible cuts of 2nd. and 3rd. year backup players...Moses and Lattimore come to mind.

Maybe the most surprising possibility would be McMillan. I say that because his name hasn't seemed to come up in any conversations, probably because we don't have many safeties in camp
. But he's into year 2 and still looks confused in coverage. If they see Hyde as a safety/nickel CB swing man, he could be gone.
You don't hear Jennings' name either. McMillian still started in the Rams game and ended with more snaps than Jennings. Jennings started in practice, but McMillian got reps with the 1's too. Given the **** poor depth/state at Safety, McMillian certainly would be a surprising cut. I guess Peprah was a mild surprise though.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
Yes, Quarless is another I would add to the list. Why would we cut Goode? There are not many long snappers hanging around, the guy doesn't blow snaps, and it's a little late to work up snapper/holder/kicker chemistry.
We don't have another LS, EDS did it some last year, and Mulligan did some this year, but neither of those guys can do it full time. IMO that's a Madden move.

H

HardRightEdge

You don't hear Jennings' name either. McMillian still started in the Rams game and ended with more snaps than Jennings. Jennings started in practice, but McMillian got reps with the 1's too. Given the **** poor depth/state at Safety
McMillian certainly would be a surprising cut. I guess Peprah was a mild surprise though.

Jennings is the better cover man which is why I didn't mention him. I don't think they like Jennings all that much because he's not very physical, and that they would prefer McMillan if he could cut down on coverage mistakes...but that's not happening. Coverage is the first priority. I could see Hyde as a backup at safety. Bush should do something to earn his pay besides gunning, and he was listed at S in the depth chart last year.

And as we recall, Peprah got cut because of his coverage skills.

Yes, the "surprise" quotient here would derive from the lack depth at safety in camp. The position is starting to look like the post-Jenkins DE situation.

I would note starts and snaps don't necessarily mean anything in preseason.

Sometimes the guy on the bubble gets the snaps over a guy who is safe. It can be a situation of wanting more tape on a tough decision.

Sometimes they're trying to find out where a guy fits. Hyde led the team in snaps against the Rams with 50-something. I don't think it is because he's pegged as a starter (though it could be if Hayward can't go). They want to see what he can do in different situations...evaluate him in cover, nickel, and dime to see where he best fits, where he can back up this season.

HyponGrey

Caseus Locutus Est
Reaction score
I would note starts and snaps don't necessarily mean anything in preseason.

Sometimes the guy on the bubble gets the snaps over a guy who is safe. It can be a situation of wanting more tape on a tough decision.

Sometimes they're trying to find out where a guy fits. Hyde led the team in snaps against the Rams with 50-something. I don't think it is because he's pegged as a starter (though it could be if Hayward can't go). They want to see what he can do in different situations...evaluate him in cover, nickel, and dime to see where he best fits, where he can back up this season.
Hyde is in a unique situation with the injuries at his current position. From what I've seen, we really shouldn't put Hyde anywhere on the outside.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde is going to be a better version of the Woodson we saw in GB. Kind of in that 5th DB spot, on the line, blitzing, mixing it up, making plays.

I will be pissed if Bush gets cut to save Quarless a roster spot. Quarless is a waste of roster space. Cut the cord already TT. God's gift can be some other teams gift.

I think they are secretly hoping for a mild Franklin injury so they can IR him. He is not ready for the league. I would rather have Green as the 3rd back.

I meant the woodson post super bowl broken collarbone.

Last edited:

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bush doesn't get cut. He's one of the very best gunners in the NFL, period and he's a serviceable backup on defense when needed. You have to have a few guys like that. My surprise cut possibilities:

Neal
Starks
Green
Worthy
House
You certainly listed some surprises. Neal and House played well last year (albeit both battling injuries) but due to their youth and affordable contracts I just can't see them being cut.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hyde is going to be a better version of the Woodson we saw in GB. Kind of in that 5th DB spot, on the line, blitzing, mixing it up, making plays.

I have a hard time believing this, I will agree he will be better if you only look at the last couple years of Woodson in GB but overall I would be shocked if he turns out better than Woodson's overall tenure in GB.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Hyde will be "a better version of the Woodson we saw in GB"? No he won't be, particularly as the 5th DB. BTW, the Woodson we saw in Green Bay had more INTs, TDs, etc. than he had in Oakland. Woodson was defensive player of the year in2009 and IMO will be a HOFer. I like Hyde but expecting a HOF career out of him is way over the top (to put it mildly).

IMO the players best suited to play outside CB are Williams, Shields and House. Shields could be the best of the group but my guess is if Williams is healthy, they will want the security of having him outside as well. House has to continue his turnaround from the first preseason game.

ExpatPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Neal
Starks
Green
Worthy
House

I'd be very surprised to see Neal, House or Worthy cut. Worthy has too much upside to let him go after his rookie season. House played well last year and Neal has shown enough flashes. Unless they really want to keep Starks or Kuhn, I can't see Green being cut: Lacy, Harris, Franklin, Green at RB.

None are real surprises, but I would be a bit surprised to see any of these guys on the final 53:

Kuhn
Quarless
DJ Williams
Starks

Members online

Latest posts