Possibilities for new coach

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I thought I'd start a thread (perhaps pin this) in which we can organize our ramblings on potential new coaches into one thread.

Of course there are no guarantees that Sherman will be gone, but for the sake of this discussion, let's say he is let go at the end of the year. Who would you like to see as the new Packer coach and why?

To me, there's only one candidate for this job: Pete Carroll. He'll likely be coming off his third straight national championship, his stud QB going to the pros, and ready for a second shot at the NFL. He didn't fare too well the first time, but neither did Belichick in Cleveland. I believe Carroll has the leadership skills to relate to younger players, which is what the Packers will need. He runs a wide open pro style offense, which can be adapted to the NFL game (heck, the Trojans would probably give some NFL teams a run for their money in a one-on-one matchup). He brings instant credibility with his recent resume.

I officially start the Pete Carroll for Packers Head Coach Bandwagon.

Let's hear your ideas!

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say that anyone calling for a new coach should be nominated. If Sherman is doing such a bad job then try taking a stab at it. ;)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
I say that anyone calling for a new coach should be nominated. If Sherman is doing such a bad job then try taking a stab at it. ;)

Only if I could be so lucky to have that oppurtunity.

Chamuko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Id rather gave Bates a chance I really like this guy !!Strong energethic, optimistic, as I have herad some of his former players say "I will play for this man anytime anywhere" That kind of leadership is the one we need right now !!!! IMHO

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
stole this from another forum

• Redskins defensive coordinator Gregg Williams: Once again Williams is bailing out the offensively challenged Washington Redskins. Williams had a chance in Buffalo and blew it, yet unlike so many others, he admits he was a totally different person with his first shot at coaching. This off-season, Williams met for about two hours with new 49ers head coach Mike Nolan and bared his soul as to how badly he messed up his opportunity, where he changed (for the worse) to impress his owner and how he became a different man from the coach that Ralph Wilson hired. The purpose was simply to teach Nolan where Williams went wrong so as not to make the same mistakes. He's back to being what he used to be and could go the same route as Bill Belichick, who made the most of his second head coaching stint.

• Eagles offensive coordinator Brad Childress: Childress is at the center of the Eagles' offense and while everyone believes it's all Andy Reid, Childress plays a major role in the Eagles' success. In an age when teams are looking for a no-nonsense kind of guy (i.e.: Nolan, John Fox, Jim Mora, Jr.) Childress has the toughness and demeanor of a Chicago cop. Plus, offensively he is the best option out there.

• Giants defensive coordinator Tim Lewis: The Giants defensive coordinator was a finalist for the Niners head coaching job last season as well as a final contestant for the Falcons job the year before. He is extremely cerebral and respected by other coaches around the NFL.

• Ravens offensive coordinator Jim Fassel: Much of his marketability will be based upon the fortunes of the Ravens' offense. If Fassel can get something, anything, out of the Ravens' QB position he'll be a very hot commodity. His name has already been rumored in Minnesota due to the New York ties of new owner Ziggy Wilf. Not sure I believe that one but it's an entertaining tale.

• Steelers line coach Russ Grimm: Grimm has had a couple of interviews already and if he can find an owner who is looking for an absolute no-B.S. type of guy who could make any blue-collar city fall in love with him, Grimm is their guy. He doesn't come across the same as others in an interview so any hiring would consist of an owner seeing his potential and the need for a guy like Grimm taking over his locker room and pulling the trigger. A place with a discipline problem or a locker room that hates each other would be wise to hire Grimm. He would end whatever problems they'd have quicker than Dr. Phil could.

• Cowboys offensive coordinator Sean Payton: Now that Payton is getting some love for calling the plays in Dallas, his stock should rise again. He turned down the Raiders gig two years ago, knowing that such a job could be a graveyard for any head coaching career (just ask Art Shell, Billy Callahan, well, you get the idea). If he can keep it up with Drew Bledsoe at QB and sans a bona fide No. 1 receiver, Payton will find his way back onto lists.

• Miami offensive coordinator Scott Linehan: Working for Nick Saban could hurt Linehan as he's off-limits to the media. Look at how long Romeo Crennel and Charlie Weis were held back by not being able to get people to know them better on a national level. However, he's a very likable guy with a strong offensive system and very organized. He'll hit that next level, if not this year, then within the next two or three.

• Titans defensive coordinator Jim Schwartz: He was mentioned on a bunch of the lists in my conversations. Schwartz comes across great when talking to him and has that young energy that so many owners are looking for in representing their team. If the Titans don't give up 44 points every week, he'll be in the running. He probably came in third last year for the Niners' gig.

• Jets defensive coordinator Donnie Henderson: One team executive went out of his way to mention he thought Henderson was intriguing as a potential replacement. You won't find a more intense cat in the NFL than this guy. However, his Jets defense, which has been fighting mad lately, must not implode in order for the second-year coordinator to get into the interview mix. My bet is that he gets AT LEAST two interviews this off-season. Whether or not he gets the gig is up to him.

• Chargers defensive coordinator Wade Phillips: Has already been given three chances but he has so much respect from NFL executives and does such a good job defensively in San Diego that he'll earn some consideration again. He was mentioned by two executives I spoke to regarding possible future openings.

• Chiefs defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham: Gun Cun left this list for a while but if he can get the enigmatic Chiefs defense to thrive like it did in Week 1, he could get back on the radar. He was NOT on any of the lists that I discussed earlier but I threw him on mine as Cunningham will get a lot of attention if the Chiefs are a juggernaut this season.

• Jets offensive coordinator Mike Heimerdinger: Has to have a lot of success in the biggest media market in the country to get into major consideration. He interviewed for the Niners' gig last year and is always on lists but a good showing in the Big Apple will propel him to the upper echelon of "gotta get that guy" type of candidate.

• Falcons offensive and defensive coordinators Gregg Knapp and Ed Donatell: The one thing I heard throughout last year's interview process from city to city was, "I'm looking for that next Jim Mora." Well, you can't do much better than looking at the guys who coach under him in Atlanta right now. Both are extremely easy to get along with and have weathered ups and downs in different cities. Both are dudes' dudes, neither having any politician in them whatsoever. Also, scheme-wise both are obviously very talented.

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I don't anticipate anything happening this year, the best choice is Charlie Weis, though I doubt Notre Dame would let him out.

Carroll proved he couldn't cut it at the NFL level once before.

Tim Lewis is a former Packer cornerback, but very soft-spoken.

I still think the ship will right itself and this talk is very silly.

It's TT's team now, folks, not Mike Sherman's.

PackMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks SlickVision on the list. Not one makes my heart race. "If" and that's a big "if" Sherman is replaced don't be suprised if Bates takes over. Remember the Fins beat the Pats under Bates last year. Now what about Off. and Def. coordinators? I don't think Sherman is going to go anywhere and if he is let go I think Brett retires. To old to start over again. Lets just hope they get it together and improve as the year goes.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackMan said:
Thanks SlickVision on the list. Not one makes my heart race. "If" and that's a big "if" Sherman is replaced don't be suprised if Bates takes over. Remember the Fins beat the Pats under Bates last year. Now what about Off. and Def. coordinators? I don't think Sherman is going to go anywhere and if he is let go I think Brett retires. To old to start over again. Lets just hope they get it together and improve as the year goes.

How old was Elway when Shanahan took over? Not being a smartace honestly curious.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Over the years..there have been many coaches who were available and were snapped up by other teams that are WAY better than Sherman...

1. Mooch
2. Gruden
3. Parcells
4. Lovey
5. Romeo
6. Marvin Lewis
7. Vermeil
8. John Fox
9. Nick Saban
10. Weiss

I could go on and on....and on.....

but the Pack is stuck with this *******...for now...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mooch is #1 on your list?!? The Lions have 5 #1s at their skill positions and they were just obliterated by the Bears and have not made the playoffs since Sanders was around, but he's who you want at HC?

Parcells? Wasn't he OUTCOACHED by MS when they lost 41-20 to the Packers last year? Didn't the Cowboys make the playoffs in '03 only to follow that up with a stellar 6-10 record under Parcell's watch. Didn't the Cowboys just biff a comfy 13 point lead w/ ~4min to go on Monday night?!?

Gruden? Didn't he follow up his SB performance with some wonderful 7-9 and 5-11 win seasons?!? Great consistency there!

MS, just like every other coach has flaws, and MS isn't the only coach to have let downs in the playoffs, or have play calling blunders, or seasons where his team may have underperformed. However, MS has done something that none of the coaches you listed has done...led his team to the playoffs for the past 4 seasons.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Also...if you insert a new coach, fine, maybe you find some gem that works magic, or you could find another Ray Rhodes who converted an 11-5 team that was a botched Jerry Rice fumble call away from the 2nd rd. of the playoffs into an 8-8 debacle. You could also wind up hiring another Dennis Erikson, Dom Capers, Steve Spurrier, etc....MS has provided consistency which is something few, if any other coaches in the NFL can say(and if you're going to say it's all because of Brett, then explain Ray Rhodes).

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
musscy..

calm down..you'll blow a gasket....

this list is in no particular order...

Mooch doesn't have a QB..that's what's been holding him back....

I doubt Sherman outcoached anybody..but he certainly didn't outcoach
Parcells..Cowboys had major problems at QB..but watch out now with Bledsoe...

Could add Herman Edwards and Tom Coughlin to the list...they're better than Sherman...

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MS didn't have a compotent QB show up in the MN, ATL, and ST. Louis playoff games, but I don't see you making any excuses for MS there. So why make excuses for Mooch because he doesn't have a QB?

What are your criteria for a good coach?!? Wins? How much you yell on a sideline? How trendy they are? What Sean Salisbury says? What justification do you have for saying all these ppl are better than MS?!?

PackMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SlickVision wrote -How old was Elway when Shanahan took over? Not being a smartace honestly curious.

The same doesn't matter to Brett since he has won a SuperBowl and 3 MVP's. He will not hang out during rebuilding years, he hates to lose too much and has nothing to prove. If we don't win at least 8 games this year Rodgers better be ready next year. I would hate to see him go because I can remember the 70's and 80's. I will enjoy every game this year the best way I can because we are seeing a legend play in what may be his last year. Even an ageing Brett Favre is better then any QB Green Bay has had since Bart Starr.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Football Decisions...

Anybody who knows anything about the game knows Sherman doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to football--from calling plays, to making adjustments, mapping out strategy, scouting tendencies, exploiting the other team's weaknesses, choice of coaches,not being predictable...MOTIVATION...etc..etc...

let's face it..the guy is horrible...awful..HE STINKS...
(and so does his mole in the booth..ROSSLEY)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmmm, OK pack66, so if John Fox is so great, and Sherman is all those things you say about him...how did the Packers beat Carolina on Monday night last year? Or if Belichek is so great...how did MS and co. beat the defending SB champs IN New England w/ an obliterated secondary in "02 (or whatever year that was)? I would think it would be the result of football decisions, but I guess I'm wrong.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
One word: Favre...

and a good offensive line..which they don't have anymore..amongst other things...

Good coaching can often make up for lack of player personnel...but good coaching is not to be found in GB...unfortunately....

You will see as the season unfolds...and the excuses mount...

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
hmmm, OK pack66, so if John Fox is so great, and Sherman is all those things you say about him...how did the Packers beat Carolina on Monday night last year? Or if Belichek is so great...how did MS and co. beat the defending SB champs IN New England w/ an obliterated secondary in "02 (or whatever year that was)? I would think it would be the result of football decisions, but I guess I'm wrong.

The bottom line is that the packers aren't beating anyone NOW, and that is MS foult..

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
PackMan said:
SlickVision said:
How old was Elway when Shanahan took over? Not being a smartace honestly curious.

The same doesn't matter to Brett since he has won a SuperBowl and 3 MVP's. He will not hang out during rebuilding years, he hates to lose too much and has nothing to prove. If we don't win at least 8 games this year Rodgers better be ready next year. I would hate to see him go because I can remember the 70's and 80's. I will enjoy every game this year the best way I can because we are seeing a legend play in what may be his last year. Even an ageing Brett Favre is better then any QB Green Bay has had since Bart Starr.

the same doesnt matter to brett? are you saying elway enjoyed losing?

Shanahan took over in 1994 Elway was 34.
If a new coach is here next season Brett will be 36.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
One word: Favre...

and a good offensive line..which they don't have anymore..amongst other things...

Good coaching can often make up for lack of player personnel...but good coaching is not to be found in GB...unfortunately....

You will see as the season unfolds...and the excuses mount...

Yet again...if the Packers win it is ALL, EXCLUSIVELY, and ENTIRELY because of Brett Favre, and MS et al were just along for the ride? However, if the Packers lose it is ALL, EXCLUSIVELY, and ENTIRELY MS' fault, and the players such as Brett are in NO way contributed to the losing effort...Brett throwing 6 picks IN NO WAY contributed to the losing effort in St. Louis?!?

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
yet Musscy...

your way is to blame it all on the players...coaching has nothing to do with anything...

the coaches are above reproach or blame..everything is FINE as far as the coaching of the GB Packers....

Rossley is MAGNIFICENT...
Sherman is MAGNIFICENT....

it's the spoiled, overpayed, rotten bum players that cannot carry out Sherman's genius and grand design..no?

(This is why I stated earlier that some people on this forum seem to feel that Sherman is on par with Lombardi...he is "non lo toccare".."UNTOUCHABLE"....geez)

(i kind of wish Favre would have retired three years ago...then you would see how bad Sherman sucks...you will see it this year..but, of course, you will blame it on Favre.....)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
Football Decisions...

Anybody who knows anything about the game knows Sherman doesn't know his *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to football--from calling plays, to making adjustments, mapping out strategy, scouting tendencies, exploiting the other team's weaknesses, choice of coaches,not being predictable...MOTIVATION...etc..etc...

let's face it..the guy is horrible...awful..HE STINKS...
(and so does his mole in the booth..ROSSLEY)

Simms highlighted the jump ball int between the cle db and Fergy. In it he showed how all of the wrs were covered, however, what Brett failed to see or exploit was William Henderson sitting alone along the right sideline w/ nobody w/in 10 yards of him. MS likely called the play, and it apparently worked, yet BRETT was the one that made the mistake, or failed to utilize his checkdowns. This is just ONE example, but how often could this be happening?!? We don't know because the cameras only show us where the ball is going...we can't see these other events that transpire.

What's my point...MS could call the most brilliant play ever phatomned, but if the 11 players on the field don't execute, it doesn't matter worth a damn...and the thing is, unless you or I know who's responsible for picking up the blitz, when Driver is supposed to cut off his route, when Whittacker needs to pull for the screen, etc. we'll never be able to know if an unsuccesful play should be blamed for a lack of execution or a poor coaching decision. In the case of the play I referenced, it's pretty obvious to me that it was a matter of execution. How can you blame MS in a situation like that?!? You just can't!

I'm not so much a MS apologist, more that I realize that nothing is as cut and dry as "Sherman can't game plan." If Bubba slips at the snap, thus can't pull to block for Green, or Driver is held up at the line, or Chatman doesn't turn around at the right time on a timing route...you and I likely would never know...but those are obvious examples of flaws in execution. However, I know you would simply attribute it to idiocy on MS part.

And you constantly say Sherman can't coach in a big game, or outcoach anyone, so I give examples of him beating some of the coaches you wish were Packers...Parcells, Fox, Belichek...but you do everything in your power to discredit him for those victories, but will stretch as far as you can to blame MS in a playoff loss. And no, it was not JUST Brett...in the Carolina game, the blitz and Ahman's running beat the Panthers...I believe the Packers beat the Pats 28-6, which would suggest that the defense had some role in the victory...they beat Dallas 41-20 so obviously some offenseive play calls were working...but I know you'll find away to divert all of the credit from MS et al.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
yet Musscy...

your way is to blame it all on the players...coaching has nothing to do with anything...

the coaches are above reproach or blame..everything is FINE as far as the coaching of the GB Packers....

Rossley is MAGNIFICENT...
Sherman is MAGNIFICENT....

it's the spoiled, overpayed, rotten bum players that cannot carry out Sherman's genius and grand design..no?

(This is why I stated earlier that some people on this forum seem to feel that Sherman is on par with Lombardi...he is "non lo toccare".."UNTOUCHABLE"....geez)

(i kind of wish Favre would have retired three years ago...then you would see how bad Sherman sucks...you will see it this year..but, of course, you will blame it on Favre.....)

If you read some of my previous posts, I admitted that MS, just like EVERY OTHER coach screws up. Want an example?!? Trying to score a TD w/ about 25 seconds to go was stupid...you need 2 scores...you have a gimmie in a longwell fg...then go for the onside, and with some luck you have time to move the ball down a bit more for a final hail marry. Or...why the hell weren't they in hurry up sooner? I even started a post about this.

Yes, MS screws up. However, EVERYONE does...your hero Parcells just biffed a 13 point lead AT HOME (heaven forbid) on Monday night...Belichek's well oiled, well disciplined machine was called for something like 14 penalties on Sunday...what the hell was that all about?

The thing I like about MS is that the teams have been consistent, even the Pats haven't been to as many consecutive playoffs as the Pack have under MS.

"Yeah musccy, well it's only because of Brett" Well then why did the team go 8-8 under Rhodes?!? He's been consistent...and the pack could try to swing for the fences w/ a new coach...maybe they could have even picked up Saban, but how do you know he won't turn into another Steve Spurrier?!? You don't...the grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts