Position Needs for 2012 Draft

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Observing how the team has played at the half way point of the season, I've seen some glaring weaknesses on defense, but there also can be help in the Offensive department.

First Round Draft Pick
Lets be real here. Our team is 8-0. Assuming we have a deep playoff run at the least, we can say that we'll have our first round draft pick anywhere from 26-32. With a pick that late, there is a chance that we trade the pick for an early second and third. But lets say we do use the pick up. Three positions I can see the Packers aiming at are:

1) OLB - Erik Walden has not been consistent. Clay Mathews has had a quiet year due to him being double teamed, and even triple teamed at times. We need an opposite side rush to complement Clay's big play ability. (*Notable players who might be there late in the 1st Round*- Courtney Upshaw/Alabam, Jarvis Jones/Georgia, Ronnell Lewis/Oklahoma, Kevin Red****/N. Carolina)

2) OL- I know we've gone with Bulaga and Sherrod in the last two years with our first round picks. But, Chad Clifton is pretty much done. But the most important thing to be noted here and I believe everyone can agree on this is, without proper protection for A-Rod, our beloved Packers won't go anywhere. WE MUST PROTECT AARON. I believe that this is the MOST important thing that the Packers must do in order for the Packers to continue their winning ways. All in all, drafting 3 O-linemen in the first round three years in a row would solidify our line for at least 10 years, assuming that none of them are busts of course. (*Notable Players who might be there late in the 1st Round*- Riley Reiff/Iowa, David DeCastro/Standford)

3) DE- Ryan Picket is an 11 year veteran who might be running out of fuel. Mike Neal's uncertainty still looms as he has been hurt. There has been talk about him coming back in the next few weeks, and depending on how he plays, me picking DE still might not change. Our pressure on opposing QB's hasn't been too existent. If we want to force QB's to make bad decisions, we need to get our pass rush back. (*Notable players who might be there late in the 1st Round*- Melvin Ingram/S. Carolina, Jared Crick/Nebraska)

This is my opinion on some of the positions that we need and that we might possibly draft in the first round. What do you guys think?

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally don't think drafting another offensive lineman in the first round would be smart. Wells, Bulaga, and Sitton are both really good and Lang has played well for the most part. I hate to draft another OT and give up on Sherrod so soon especially since he hasn't played much. I would say our needs are in this order 3-4 DE CB 3-4 OLB S depth and HB(Grants eventually replacement)

OP
OP
Packers80

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I personally don't think drafting another offensive lineman in the first round would be smart. Wells, Bulaga, and Sitton are both really good and Lang has played well for the most part. I hate to draft another OT and give up on Sherrod so soon especially since he hasn't played much. I would say our needs are in this order 3-4 DE CB 3-4 OLB S depth and HB(Grants eventually replacement)
I was thinking HB, but I'm not sure. But man, we cannot let anything happen to Aaron.. we need the best line we can get. Without him, we'll be an average team.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I was thinking HB, but I'm not sure. But man, we cannot let anything happen to Aaron.. we need the best line we can get. Without him, we'll be an average team.
I'm not really against drafting an offensive lineman in the draft I just think going for other needs in the 1st and 2nd such as 3-4 de and olb or corner would serve better for the team.

OP
OP
Packers80

Packers80

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm not really against drafting an offensive lineman in the draft I just think going for other needs in the 1st and 2nd such as 3-4 de and olb or corner would serve better for the team.
And I agree with you, I mean I put OLB and DE as our needs, BUT don't rule out the possibility of another O-linemen.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TT should draft BPA at any position of need... we all know what those positions are. But I wish he would have the cajones to trade up and pick the pass rushing, playmaking OLB that he and staff like(unless the one they like drops). I know its not his MO but do we still need 10 plus draft picks every year now?! I guess I'm arguing for quality over quantity. I state this because I trust TT and staffs' judge of talent for trading up for that special player that they like. Only if they had the courage to do it. It worked out pretty well with CMIII.

Big E

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with OLB and DE as possible 1st round picks, but I don't agree with OL at least for the first round. We need to add some depth on the O-line, but not via a first round pick. We might have to look for a safety, too. Who knows if Nick Collins is going to be able to return from his injury? Let me add a name onto the DE radar: Devon Still from Penn State. I was watching the Penn State-Nebraska game this weekend and he was an absolute beast. I'd have to watch more Penn State games to see if he's consistent though.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree with OLB and DE as possible 1st round picks, but I don't agree with OL at least for the first round. We need to add some depth on the O-line, but not via a first round pick. We might have to look for a safety, too. Who knows if Nick Collins is going to be able to return from his injury? Let me add a name onto the DE radar: Devon Still from Penn State. I was watching the Penn State-Nebraska game this weekend and he was an absolute beast. I'd have to watch more Penn State games to see if he's consistent though.
I like him and Billy Winn for a 3-4 de. Upshaw or Ronnell Lewis could be good at olb as well. All of those players could be BPA at our pick.

tstej

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Lol true but Upshaw and Lewis both fit the mold Ted sees in 3-4 olb. Winn is a little under the radar as well. I guess we won't know until draft day

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Yes, I agree, OLB and DE to me are the #1 and #2 priorities in the coming draft.

After watching the game tonight(awesome...BTW) and all of the pressure the Vikings put on Rodgers a G or C might be wise to select if a really good one that fits the zone blocking scheme is there at our pick. Like eveyone knows a healthy Rodgers means everything to this team.

IMO- Collins is most likely done as a professional football player with the injury he sustained, so yes, safety will obviously have to be addressed.

Still has the physical measureables to be a really good DL and I think he has the motor and instincts. That wouldnt be a bad pick at all. Courtney Upshaw OLB seems like a special player to me and might be a good pick too.

SEWICHEESE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The way Ted works, none of those will be taken lol
I know what your saying about TT. But I think a lot of draftnicks had TT picking Sherrod last year and when he did it certainly was no suprise to me. IMO- that was a BPA pick at a position of need and probably not a "pure" BPA pick.

packersfan152

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I know its really early to talk about this, but I'm always bored at work looking at mock drafts. where do you think we head this April...

Safety to replace Collins if he is out for ever
OLB to take over for Walden, I think he hit his ceiling last year against the bears
DE/DT to beef up the line cause Neal keeps getting hurt and Pickett is old
CB to have someone step in behind Woodson

c33j44y

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think I can agree with this, although I definitely see where you're coming from. Aaron is an example of how amazing happens in the right place at the right time. However, the Packers have too many players on offense that would provide for the team's production if for some reason Aaron went down.

With that being said, I'm on the Matt Flynn bandwagon because I've seen what he can do for this team when they are in need of an answer. His brief stint in the Vikings game shows he can throw the ball as well as many other quarterbacks. Any improvement to the O-line that would avoid this predicament would be for the best, though. I totally agree Aaron's health is a top priority.

bhuggins

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most important needs in order.... Defensive End, Inside Linebacker, Running Back and for added depth, D-Back. Offense should be the least of our concerns. The pass rush has been well below average and the linebackers (outside of Matthews) have been inconsistent and unable to stay healthy.

As for running backs, that position definitely needs an upgrade. Grant has lost his magic and Starks is not consistent enough. The Offensive line can always use some added depth but I think they can pick up some quality linemen in the lower rounds.

c33j44y

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Most important needs in order.... Defensive End, Inside Linebacker, Running Back and for added depth, D-Back. Offense should be the least of our concerns. The pass rush has been well below average and the linebackers (outside of Matthews) have been inconsistent and unable to stay healthy.

As for running backs, that position definitely needs an upgrade. Grant has lost his magic and Starks is not consistent enough. The Offensive line can always use some added depth but I think they can pick up some quality linemen in the lower rounds.
I like how Brandon Saine looked .. I wouldn't be so jumpy to draft a new running back. The defensive depth could use a bit more shimmer though.

Reaction score
I agree with ever one in the need for DE there are a few i like i.e. Billy Wynn and a few others that will be available in the first round. There is a 3-4 OLB I LOVE. He is a monster and I watch every game he plays. His name is Chase Thomas. I'm a stanford fan and I love me some Chase Thomas. Look the kid up. He started as a DE and played good but was switched to OLB and has been getting better and better. He killed Notre Dame all game last night. Ive seen him play coverage and pass rush. He plays in a pro style Defense and could flourish in a Capers scheme. He could clean up with defenses so worried about Claymaker and eventually we could have our own OLB tandem like the Steelers have Harrison and Woodley. Because he is at Stanford and not named Luck no one pays attention lol Check him out.

Members online

Latest posts