Poll - what would it take for us to win it all in '08?

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PackFanWithTwins said:
This team has the youth to be good, but I don't think we have the time to wait. Favre, Driver,Clifton, Tauscher, KGB, Woodson, Harris are getting up there in years. GB is going to have some player turn over coming from age and will have a hard time keeping up with just developing new young players.

We are in position to be in playoff contention for the future as is. But to jump to the next level we need FAs. OG would solidify the run game, a starter level CB that can split time with Woodson and Harris and also give us 3 starters to cover 3 wides and be the future replacement for one of them. Or a DE or LB. Either need to improve the pass rush to take pressure off the CB or improve coverage to give the DLine more rush time.

The defensive scheme can be a little more aggresive but I like the base package.

I also agree. Our defensive scheme needs to be less "vanilla". Through in some LB, CB, SS, FS blitzes when least expected...try different stunts on the D-line to confuse blocking, etc.

:twocents: :twocents: (<-- inflation).

Nice post..I agree

skibum55

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now, if he doesnt, I have the right to say, he sucks he should be fired and all that other crap right?

Only if this results in NOT taking it to the next level, ie, achieving SB!!

JK, :beersign:

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this team. I love their coaching and I lover their effort. I don't know that I've ever seen a team grow so quickly and improve so much and believe it or not with limited talent.

I think the keys to getting better are these:
1) If we stay with our present defensive package we have to get better play from our linebackers. I know people may not agree with this, but I think too many big plays happen against us because our linebacker don't fill the hole. I also think they're young enough that they can get better.
2) We need some quality corner backups that can build into starters.
Woodson and Harris' years are numbered. And of course if an injury happens there, we're screwed.
3) The top priority in the post season has to be to fix up the offensive guard spots. If we can find two starters, or one at the minimum, the run game in combination with the passing game might be unstoppable.
4) Favre must come back. As much as I believe in Aaron Rogers, when Favre plays like he did most of this season he just makes that team so so much better.
5) The last thing is the defensive schemes. Maybe it's just allowing the team to grow together, when the defensive line wore down we were just an average defense and you can't beat good teams with an average defense. That means you have to have a Spagnola type D coordinator who can think on his feet and can make the proper adjustments. I don't dislike Bob Sanders, but I think the problems on defense were as much his fault as it was the injuries. (just my opinion)

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I love this team. I love their coaching and I lover their effort. I don't know that I've ever seen a team grow so quickly and improve so much and believe it or not with limited talent.

1) If we stay with our present defensive package we have to get better play from our linebackers. I know people may not agree with this, but I think too many big plays happen against us because our linebacker don't fill the hole. I also think they're young enough that they can get better.
Woodson and Harris' years are numbered. And of course if an injury happens there, we're screwed.
3) The top priority in the post season has to be to fix up the offensive guard spots. If we can find two starters, or one at the minimum, the run game in combination with the passing game might be unstoppable.
4) Favre must come back. As much as I believe in Aaron Rogers, when Favre plays like he did most of this season he just makes that team so so much better.
5) The last thing is the defensive schemes. Maybe it's just allowing the team to grow together, when the defensive line wore down we were just an average defense and you can't beat good teams with an average defense. That means you have to have a Spagnola type D coordinator who can think on his feet and can make the proper adjustments. I don't dislike Bob Sanders, but I think the problems on defense were as much his fault as it was the injuries. (just my opinion)

Packed:

1) Did Hawk have a sophomore slump? He's young and with some improvement, he'd be absolutely sick back there. Poppinga looked like he was improving towards the end of the season. And Barnett had his best season ever and should compete for a Pro Bowl spot next year. We may already have the talent, maybe just another year together will do it?

2) Expect TT to draft 2 CBs. There was talk on the forum of moving Woodson to Safety. Imagine our starting safeties as Woodson and Bigby and our depth as Rouse and Collins. That sounds pretty solid to me. Harris had 2 bad games and unfortunately one was a Playoff game. He'll recover. He's a workout warrior with a chip on his shoulder. The trick is what to do on the other side. I'm sure TT & MM will be discussing this and hopefully they'll have a good solution for us in the offseason.

3) No argument here. Our OL is pretty good at protecting our QBs. I think one man who needs some credit is Edgar Bennett. He's taken rookies and first year RBs and turned them into pretty dang good blockers. Bennett doesn't want to see his old friend take hits. But yes, our Guards are our weakness on the OL and it showed against the Giants. Grant had nothing to work with. He was repeatedly getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. I'm no RB, but I imagine if you don't get that burst, you can't strut your stuff and Grant wasn't getting enough footsteps to get that burst.

4) He'll be back.

5) 2 things here:
a) a scheme "improvement" - you have to blitz when the front four can't hit the QB. You cannot give the top tier QBs time or else they'll kill you. Expect to play the top tier QBs again in the Playoffs.
b) Kampman wants to play every down, but MM can't let him. KGB should be alternating snaps on both Kampman's and Jenkins' side. Let's not let him play 94% of snaps again, even though he wants to. And we absolutely NEED Williams back. Give him a fat check. It will pay dividends later.

packerfan4ever

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think we need guys to open up the run more either college steps up or get rid of him d-line needs to step up a notch i think bigby will be great next year they will have to stop the run more with peterson and depending on their w.r our pass rush really needs to improve

evad04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe we'll necessarily blow our long term plans by making a splash in free agency. This team has the talent to go deep into the playoffs and compete for a championship right now, but there's no problem in bettering the chances.

It's not necessarily a "win now" mentality. There's plenty of youth that should keep the team strong for a decent stretch. But, our best shot to win it all might just be 2008 (Favre). I'd be happy with picking up an impact player on either side of the ball. The draft is still important, but if our starting roster is consistently filled with rookies, we'll always be the oldest team. At some point team's need to readjust how they develop. We've already got some of those pieces in place--now it's time to go get a top player.

Oh and BTW... Green Bay's short term success makes it a more attractive place for free agents--something we didn't have much of the last few years.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh and BTW... Green Bay's short term success makes it a more attractive place for free agents--something we didn't have much of the last few years.

This is something I overlooked. Yes, now nobody can say "well, I don't want to go to Green Bay because I want to get a Super Bowl ring." I could see us looking very attractive to someone who doesn't have a ring.

packedhouse01

Cheesehead
Reaction score
packedhouse01 said:

Packed:

1) Did Hawk have a sophomore slump? He's young and with some improvement, he'd be absolutely sick back there. Poppinga looked like he was improving towards the end of the season. And Barnett had his best season ever and should compete for a Pro Bowl spot next year. We may already have the talent, maybe just another year together will do it?

2) Expect TT to draft 2 CBs. There was talk on the forum of moving Woodson to Safety. Imagine our starting safeties as Woodson and Bigby and our depth as Rouse and Collins. That sounds pretty solid to me. Harris had 2 bad games and unfortunately one was a Playoff game. He'll recover. He's a workout warrior with a chip on his shoulder. The trick is what to do on the other side. I'm sure TT & MM will be discussing this and hopefully they'll have a good solution for us in the offseason.

3) No argument here. Our OL is pretty good at protecting our QBs. I think one man who needs some credit is Edgar Bennett. He's taken rookies and first year RBs and turned them into pretty dang good blockers. Bennett doesn't want to see his old friend take hits. But yes, our Guards are our weakness on the OL and it showed against the Giants. Grant had nothing to work with. He was repeatedly getting hit at or behind the line of scrimmage. I'm no RB, but I imagine if you don't get that burst, you can't strut your stuff and Grant wasn't getting enough footsteps to get that burst.

4) He'll be back.

5) 2 things here:
a) a scheme "improvement" - you have to blitz when the front four can't hit the QB. You cannot give the top tier QBs time or else they'll kill you. Expect to play the top tier QBs again in the Playoffs.
b) Kampman wants to play every down, but MM can't let him. KGB should be alternating snaps on both Kampman's and Jenkins' side. Let's not let him play 94% of snaps again, even though he wants to. And we absolutely NEED Williams back. Give him a fat check. It will pay dividends later.

I was disappointed in Hawk's season. I expect a #5 pick to be a play maker and be dominant. He wasn't the impact player I thought he could be. Now maybe it's the schemes we use, I don't know. I love Edgar Bennet and what he has done with the running game, but that game cannot get better with this line. I don't think these guards are going to be marginally better. I hadn't heard that about moving Woodson to safety. If we do that, we better have an awesome corner to replace him because you saw what happened when it was just Harris. I think Woody should have made the pro bowl not Harris. I also agree on Kampman, but you have to have someone who can play as well out there. I just think the defense needs a couple of players and bit of tinkering.

Great comments though. You've thought this out well.

favre2driver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Raider Pride said:
My Opinion. Take the best and leave the rest.

What the Packers need is already within. It is not a rookie. It is not a F/A.

I am not worried about next years offense. Not worried about it if Brett is there, or if Aaron is the starter. I have confidence in them both.

I think what this team needs to take it to the next level is this......

It is for someone on this Defense, one player, to step up and be a leader. Lead by example, and take the "D" to a new level by being the single most inspirational leader by example on and off the field of play.

I think, now with his NFL experience and growth. I think that with his work ethic, and his ability. A.J. Hawk can take it to that level with the right coaching and off season.

The Packers 2007-2008 Defense did not have that one leader that stood out. That is something that every Championship Team Has.

R.P.
Well Said. I agree Look at all the famous teams. 85 bears had singletary and dent. 86 giants had lawrence taylor. 76 Steelers had Joe Green. 62 Packers had Nischthke(Spell Check) 2000 ravens had lewis. 08 packers had hawk, so...

Timmons

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am torn on this issue.

I see a veteran team like NE pay a lot for guys to send them over the top and then fall short.

Then I see a team like NY with a mix and youth and veterans win it all. (DUE TO 90% TO COACHING IMO!)

Don't get me wrong, there is a part of me that cream his pants to see the Packers sign Asante Samuel, Lance Briggs, and or Randy Moss come to a team with a lot of key guys in the twilight of their careers (Favre, Driver, Clifton, KGB, Tauscher, Harris).

Then my libido slows down, and I think about what has gotten GB so close to the Superbowl.

1. Drafting well.
2. Keeping key guys.
3. Developing from within.
4. Signing under-the-radar not over-hyped FA's.

I don't know the best path for GB.

1. Go for it All and spend your money on big names.

2. Stick with what we've got going.

I think the answer lies somewhere between 1. and 2.

Ditto.

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as we don't trade Shawn Marion for Shaquille O'Neal, I think we'll be just fine.

Reaction score
longtimefan said:
BryanAschenbrenner said:
You know what, I am going to make a ridiculous and bold prediction.

I predict TT will see that our base structure is extremely sound and will be far more involved in FA than we all expect/have come to be used to.

I know that this has a slim chance of happening, but I am going to throw that out there.

I predict that this was TT's plan. To get strength through the draft to provide a strong base, and once the base was set, push us over the edge through free agency.

I don't think this will happen/is happening but I can hope.

I feel the EXACT same way

but unlike you I think he will do it!

Now, if he doesnt, I have the right to say, he sucks he should be fired and all that other crap right?

If you didn't this wouldn't be packerforum.com haha.

LOL!

To be honest though, I agree with you that Ted is going to make more of a splash than people are expecting.

I used to think he'd get a G, but now I'm not so sure. I'm thinking some LB with pass rush ability/decent in coverage too like Suggs. Of course that assumes Suggs doesn't get the franchise tag slapped on him (which he probably will).

But I'm expecting things to be interesting this off-season.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldnt someone expect TT to make a splash in free agency? The truth really is that TT doesnt hate free agency. He just doesnt fall for hype, and doesnt listen to whatever ESPN says... like the 10 thousand people on this site who think they are smarter than our current managment. Ryan Pickett, Charles Woodson. In fact one could argue that he uses free agency better than most every NFL franchise.

Two Free agents. Two great results. Quality over quantity.

BRING ON PACMAN JONES! GREAT cornerback. young. cheap now. and no strip clubs in green bay for him to shoot up. its a perfect fit for both teams. we need another above solid CB and he needs to get out of the nightlife troubles and settle down and concentrate on football. What better place to concentrate on football than Green Bay.

OP
OP
Zombieslayer

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why wouldnt someone expect TT to make a splash in free agency? The truth really is that TT doesnt hate free agency. He just doesnt fall for hype, and doesnt listen to whatever ESPN says... like the 10 thousand people on this site who think they are smarter than our current managment. Ryan Pickett, Charles Woodson. In fact one could argue that he uses free agency better than most every NFL franchise.

Two Free agents. Two great results. Quality over quantity.

BRING ON PACMAN JONES! GREAT cornerback. young. cheap now. and no strip clubs in green bay for him to shoot up. its a perfect fit for both teams. we need another above solid CB and he needs to get out of the nightlife troubles and settle down and concentrate on football. What better place to concentrate on football than Green Bay.

TT will pick up one really good FA. That's my prediction.

Like you said, he does do Free Agency. He just doesn't do all the bells and whistles that the other teams do. No hype, just results.

chibiabos

Cheesehead
Reaction score
:pop:Vote defensive smash-mouth player, perhaps 2. Definitely need a safety with better hands then Collins and a pass rusher with some big time mean! Beyond that a guard that can adequately run block.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
As long as we don't trade Shawn Marion for Shaquille O'Neal, I think we'll be just fine.

BWAHAHAHAA!! Genius.

I voted build from within. It's gotten us to a championship game where we lost in OT to the eventual World Champs. That's not bad.

pack_in_black

Cheesehead
Reaction score
And the 08 Giants had....Eli Manning?

I'd say Strahan was the big leader of that Championship defense, and should've won the MVP for the game.

EDIT: Or Umenyiora, or anyone on that DL. They were the only reason the Giants won, not Eli "the adequate" Manning...

But just like last year, Dom Rhodes was the MVP for Indy, but Peyton had to get his trophy case filled...

/bitterness

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts