Please TED why are you destroying our team

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
40 yard dash for Jackson 4.35....Jennings 4.48

But Jennings had better 3 cone and shuttle times then Jackson.

On paper seems like Jennings has the better ablity to cut and run..Which will help him to get off line faster if being pressed..Which in turn should help him be a deep threat as well..

Or am I wrong in thinking this?

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why do we need a deepthreat when we aren't going to play many deep routes?

You have completely misunderstood the nature of the west coast offense.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

This is the kind of plays we will be playing, if we use receivers that doesn't run accurate routes the passes will more than often be picked off. Chad Jackson is not an accurate routerunner and doesn't fit in our system, Greg Jennings is a sharpe routerunner and fits in our system.

Also a west coast offense relies on the WR to pick up yards after the catch to make a big play, Jennings is good after the catch.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:

This is the kind of plays we will be playing, if we use receivers that doesn't run accurate routes the passes will more than often be picked off. Chad Jackson is not an accurate routerunner and doesn't fit in our system, Greg Jennings is a sharpe routerunner and fits in our system.

Also a west coast offense relies on the WR to pick up yards after the catch to make a big play, Jennings is good after the catch.

Gakk,
EVERYONE needs a deep threat to make the opposing defensive backs and safeties play the deep ball. THAT opens up the middle for the slants that go for the BIG gains.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Obi1 said:
Gakk,
EVERYONE needs a deep threat to make the opposing defensive backs and safeties play the deep ball. THAT opens up the middle for the slants that go for the BIG gains.

On paper seems like Jennings has the better ablity to cut and run..Which will help him to get off line faster if being pressed..Which in turn should help him be a deep threat as well..

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Exactly Packmast..i mean OB1..

You took the words right out of my mouth...

(That's what Terry Glenn was supposed to be for but SherRossley nearly got him killed running short, over the middle routes..which is not his thing...)

If you don't have a guy who can stretch the defense..they don't have to worry about the deep threat and can "cheat up" to cover the crossing routes...

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmm let's see, the Steelers won the Superbowl without any particular deep threat in the Randy Moss, Terrell Owens mould. The Patriots seem to do fine...

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
On a predraft television show done by a Las Vegas handicapper, he said that Jackson stutter steps prior to his cuts. Unless that is coached out of him it will negate any speed advantage as NFL corners know when the cut is coming.

Mel had Jennings #4 on his WR board.

In Green Bay he is likely the #5 receiver now until he can prove worthy to move up. With Boerigter and Gardner on 1 year deals he could become #2 next year.

Ferguson's days are numbered. The longest numbered is final cuts of 2007.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:
hmm let's see, the Steelers won the Superbowl without any particular deep threat in the Randy Moss, Terrell Owens mould. The Patriots seem to do fine...

So did the Packers of 96 & 97... Would you consider Freeman a deep threat? How about Rison?

They DID have Beebe but he wasn't used that much and his longest passply was a 85 yard catch and run where he caught the pass on a short slant and ran 80 yards Vs. the Vikings.

However, he, Rison and even Keith Jackson were used as deep pattern runners to open up the short passing game.

P@ck66

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
GakkofNorway said:

The Patriots had Branch..and Glenn who can fly..and Pittsburgh has Hines Ward..who has a knack for getting behind people...

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Jennings is almost as fast as Chad Jackson, but he makes better cuts and runs much more precise routes.

We don't need to spend such a high pick on a player that isn't going to play that much, and only is there to stretch the defense, what are you thinking?

This isn't the same crappy system Sherman ran, the system where Sherman got obsessed with speed and forgot all about the weather and fieldconditions...

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
P@ck66 said:
GakkofNorway said:

The Patriots had Branch..and Glenn who can fly..and Pittsburgh has Hines Ward..who has a knack for getting behind people...

GB still has Driver, Ferguson and Boerigter to stretch the field, and Jennings has plenty of experience scoring TDs. His best attribute is YAC, which is just what we need in the WCO!!

It's very likely that Jennings would have been one of the top WR prospects (or the top) had he gone to a big school. Instead he went to W MI and therefore didn't get the publicity that other WRs got. That doesn't mean he's not as good or better than Jackson.

GakkofNorway

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Exactly.

Also Chad Jackson sucks at running routes and wouldn't fit. Seems like many of you don't understand the importance of good routerunning in our system, it is everything. Greg Jennings is a good routerunner, Chad Jackson sucks at it.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Chad Jackson- 40 Speed: 4.42*

Greg Jennings- 40 Speed: 4.54*

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
In the end, I'm almost as happy with the Jennings pick as with us getting Hodge. I think Hodge is the steal of the draft, but I never though Jennings would have lasted that long either. The only knock in my mind is his size, but he's a similar size to Driver, who just happens to clearly be our best WR.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Fantasy~Freak*4*Life said:
longtimefan said:

On paper seems like Jennings has the better ability to cut and run..Which will help him to get off line faster if being pressed..Which in turn should help him be a deep threat as well..

mine is from the combine times listed on the NFL site

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9370926

1 Chad Jackson Florida 6-0 7/8 213 4.35

Greg Jennings Western Michigan 5-11 1/8 197 4.48

60-yard shuttle
Greg Jennings Western Michigan 11.15
Chad Jackson Florida 11.19

3 cone
Jennings Western Michigan 6.68
Chad Jackson Florida 6.73

that is why I keep saying maybe Jennings is better suited to get open if pressed at the line...On paper seems like he has some more cutting ability..

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
longtimefan said:

On paper seems like Jennings has the better ability to cut and run..Which will help him to get off line faster if being pressed..Which in turn should help him be a deep threat as well..

mine is from the combine times listed on the NFL site

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9370926

60-yard shuttle

3 cone

that is why I keep saying maybe Jennings is better suited to get open if pressed at the line...On paper seems like he has some more cutting ability..

Mine is from the NFL.com also:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/jackson_chad
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/jennings_greg

WinnipegPackFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like your Sig Freak Dude :

"The game of life is a lot like football. You tackle your problems, block your fears, and score your points when you get the opportunity."

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
longtimefan said:
Fantasy~Freak*4*Life":3b8gxlop][quote=longtimefan]40 yard dash for Jackson 4.35....Jennings 4.48 But Jennings had better 3 cone and shuttle times then Jackson. On paper seems like Jennings has the better ability to cut and run..Which will help him to get off line faster if being pressed..Which in turn should help him be a deep threat as well.. Or am I wrong in thinking this?[/quote] [color=red][b]Chad Jackson- 40 Speed: 4.42* Greg Jennings- 40 Speed: 4.54*[/b][/color] [/quote] mine is from the combine times listed on the NFL site [url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9370926 said:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9370926[/url]

60-yard shuttle

3 cone

Mine is from the NFL.com also:
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/jackson_chad
http://www.nfl.com/draft/profiles/2006/jennings_greg

[/quote:3b8gxlop]

Ok so we have different numbers, and??????

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you want measurables Jennings was faster in the 3 cone drill and the shuttle run where change of direction is required.

Don't get too caught up on measurables.

The Biletnikoff award given to the best college receiver went to Mike Hass of Oregon St. He was drafted by the Saints in the 6th round. He will be a suprise to many. He ran a 4.6 but can do many one handed circus type catches.

OP
OP
F
Reaction score
WinnipegPackFan said:
I like your Sig Freak Dude :

"The game of life is a lot like football. You tackle your problems, block your fears, and score your points when you get the opportunity."

Thanks bud,

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
longtimefan said:

Just like to add those were not their combine times. Both ran much faster 40's. that link you posted was estimates posted long before the Draft of guys taking part in the combine.

At the combine Jackson ran a 4.35 and Jennings running a 4.48... Jackson might be faster and more explosive but Jennings is more polished.

Members online

Latest posts