Playoffs? We should know within the month.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are the Packers this year a playoff caliber team? And would they do anything respectable if they did return to postseason this year? The honest answer is we don't know. There's reason to hope and equally reason to doubt.

But we could have a clearer idea when this next stretch on the schedule is complete. The Packers haven't beaten any one with a winning record yet and they'll have 2, quite possibly 3, upcoming with a road game against down, but still unpredictable and dangerous Tampa Bay, over the next four.

At least the good teams coming up are coming to Lambeau. If the Packers are going to reestablish that once vaunted home field advantage this will be the time to do it.

The game this Sunday is essentially for the division this season. The Packers are down only 1 game in the loss column to MInnesota but a season sweep by the Vikings would, for all practical intents and purposes, doom Green Bay for the NFC NOrth.

They can stay in the wild card race longer but will have to beat Dallas & San Fran. to secure their position in that one.

The Packers will need to be at least 7-3 after this stretch, heading in to the Thanksgiving Day game at Detroit, to have a serious chance at making the playoffs this year.

10-6 is likely the minimum for making the playoffs this season and in the final month there's not many games that look especially favorable for the Pack so they will need to take care of business now.

Last year the Packers were 5-5 by the 10th week when they unraveled with all the late, close losses that took them out. If they're below 7-3 at the same point this season a 9-7 or .500 record at the finish may be all we can realistically hope for. But that won't be good enough to continue in January.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we beat the Vikings I can see us reaching the playoffs its not that bad a schedule after the dallas game, We have beaten the Cards before and the Steelers will provide us a game to see where we are in comparison with other play off teams, just my opinon people.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are the Packers this year a playoff caliber team? And would they do anything respectable if they did return to postseason this year? The honest answer is we don't know. There's reason to hope and equally reason to doubt.

But we could have a clearer idea when this next stretch on the schedule is complete. The Packers haven't beaten any one with a winning record yet and they'll have 2, quite possibly 3, upcoming with a road game against down, but still unpredictable and dangerous Tampa Bay, over the next four.

At least the good teams coming up are coming to Lambeau. If the Packers are going to reestablish that once vaunted home field advantage this will be the time to do it.

The game this Sunday is essentially for the division this season. The Packers are down only 1 game in the loss column to MInnesota but a season sweep by the Vikings would, for all practical intents and purposes, doom Green Bay for the NFC NOrth.

They can stay in the wild card race longer but will have to beat Dallas & San Fran. to secure their position in that one.

The Packers will need to be at least 7-3 after this stretch, heading in to the Thanksgiving Day game at Detroit, to have a serious chance at making the playoffs this year.

10-6 is likely the minimum for making the playoffs this season and in the final month there's not many games that look especially favorable for the Pack so they will need to take care of business now.

Last year the Packers were 5-5 by the 10th week when they unraveled with all the late, close losses that took them out. If they're below 7-3 at the same point this season a 9-7 or .500 record at the finish may be all we can realistically hope for. But that won't be good enough to continue in January.
I totally understand what you're saying, that we haven't beaten anyone yet, but this isn't college football. A win is a win, and if we're lucky to have a easy schedulle, we'll take advantage of that.

And more than that, how did Arizona fare last year against good teams? Remember the Giants in 2007?

It doesn't really matter how you played in the regular season. The playoffs are a very different atmosphere, and a lot of times teams that didn't play very well in the regular season end up going deep, and teams that were a regular season Juggernaut end up losing early. San Diego is a fine example of that.

realoatesman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Currently going to college in Minnesota, but origi
The Pack just need to keep rolling. If the D can hold teams to under 21 points, the line plays like they did on Sunday, and the penalties stop; then there's no doubt in my mind that we will make the playoffs, and hopefully make a run at the SB. Oh and no more injuries to the secondary. We are very vulnerable at safety if either of our starters go down.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I totally understand what you're saying, that we haven't beaten anyone yet, but this isn't college football. A win is a win, and if we're lucky to have a easy schedulle, we'll take advantage of that.

And more than that, how did Arizona fare last year against good teams? Remember the Giants in 2007?

It doesn't really matter how you played in the regular season. The playoffs are a very different atmosphere, and a lot of times teams that didn't play very well in the regular season end up going deep, and teams that were a regular season Juggernaut end up losing early. San Diego is a fine example of that.
Minny hasn't played anybody yet either according to posters on here. Baltimore, Pittsburg, Dallas, Arizona, San fran, Seahawks ,Minnesota and Chicago will all be worthy foes of the packers so little early to talk playoffs. Your last 5 games will decide your fate IMO. That is a tough stretch you have there.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If we beat the Vikings I can see us reaching the playoffs its not that bad a schedule after the dallas game, We have beaten the Cards before and the Steelers will provide us a game to see where we are in comparison with other play off teams, just my opinon people.
baltimore? I think you have brutal last third of the schedule. those last 5 games are all winnable or loseable if you ask me.Sunday is huge for the pack. If you lose you gift wrap the North and will have to battle it out for a wild card spot. If the pack wins I think you could battle it out for the North so those last 5 games are huge. Minnesota has 3 of those tough games you have remaining out of the way but we still have the Bengals to play. Chicago is toast this year so it looks the pack and Vikings for the North so sunday is a must win for the packers IMO

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Green Bay has a somewhat easier schedule than Minnesota. Here are Green Bay's final games and current opponents' ranks against the run and pass(respectively): **Note Green Bay opponents WEAK pass defense

vs Vikings 10 19
at Buccaneers 29 13
vs Cowboys 16 21
vs 49ers 6 20
at Lions 19 28
vs Ravens 8 21
at Bears 18 16
at Steelers 2 15
vs Seahawks 13 16
at Cardinals 1 28

Green Bay's opponents average 12.2 against the run and 19.7 against the pass.

Minnsota's remaining opponents and ranks against run and pass(respectively):

at Packers 12 4
vs Lions 19 28
vs Seahawks 13 16
vs Bears 18 16
at Cardinals 1 28
vs Bengals 5 27
at Panthers 26 1
at Bears 18 16
vs Giants 15 2

Minnesota's opponents average 14.11 against the run and 15.33 against the pass.

I believe if Minnesota wins on Sunday, there can be little argument that Minnesota is not the best team in the division. If Green Bay wins on Sunday, there can be little argument that Green Bay has not closed the gap considerably over the past few weeks and one could then make a reasonable argument that since Minnesota has a tougher remaining schedule, that Green Bay could be considered the front runner to win the division. It might be quite telling the extent to which victories against common opponents matter when it's all said and done.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green Bay has a somewhat easier schedule than Minnesota. Here are Green Bay's final games and current opponents' ranks against the run and pass(respectively): **Note Green Bay opponents WEAK pass defense

vs Vikings 10 19
at Buccaneers 29 13
vs Cowboys 16 21
vs 49ers 6 20
at Lions 19 28
vs Ravens 8 21
at Bears 18 16
at Steelers 2 15
vs Seahawks 13 16
at Cardinals 1 28

Green Bay's opponents average 12.2 against the run and 19.7 against the pass.

Minnsota's remaining opponents and ranks against run and pass(respectively):

at Packers 12 4
vs Lions 19 28
vs Seahawks 13 16
vs Bears 18 16
at Cardinals 1 28
vs Bengals 5 27
at Panthers 26 1
at Bears 18 16
vs Giants 15 2

Minnesota's opponents average 14.11 against the run and 15.33 against the pass.

I believe if Minnesota wins on Sunday, there can be little argument that Minnesota is not the best team in the division. If Green Bay wins on Sunday, there can be little argument that Green Bay has not closed the gap considerably over the past few weeks and one could then make a reasonable argument that since Minnesota has a tougher remaining schedule, that Green Bay could be considered the front runner to win the division. It might be quite telling the extent to which victories against common opponents matter when it's all said and done.
ok hilda you crack me up with your rubbish. Come out of the closet already and put on your cheesehat. Green Bay has 10 games left(9 for minny) So your saying that GB would be a front runner with a win on sunday? really, sorry until GB can prove to all they can beat top teams they will not be front runners. Maybe in your mind but really who have they beat? I know you want to be everybodys favorite on here but i would take minnesotas remaining schedule over the packers. For one they have one more game to play than the vikings. This is the only site I have seen that has even listed GB as a playoff team but you think a win at home over a team they lost to already gives them the upper hand? WOW you must be drunk.

Hauschild

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ok hilda you crack me up with your rubbish. Come out of the closet already and put on your cheesehat. Green Bay has 10 games left(9 for minny) So your saying that GB would be a front runner with a win on sunday? really, sorry until GB can prove to all they can beat top teams they will not be front runners. Maybe in your mind but really who have they beat? I know you want to be everybodys favorite on here but i would take minnesotas remaining schedule over the packers. For one they have one more game to play than the vikings. This is the only site I have seen that has even listed GB as a playoff team but you think a win at home over a team they lost to already gives them the upper hand? WOW you must be drunk.

Amazing how you can blindly disregard facts?!?!?:shock:

Again, we'll see where everything stands once the dust has settled. A Minnesota win, and that confirms what we are already suspecting - that Minnesota is simply a better team. A Green Bay win, and the Cheeseheads have won a significant battle that bodes well for them in the ultimate war.

Common opponents - keep that in mind as the season progresses.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Amazing how you can blindly disregard facts?!?!?:shock:

Again, we'll see where everything stands once the dust has settled. A Minnesota win, and that confirms what we are already suspecting - that Minnesota is simply a better team. A Green Bay win, and the Cheeseheads have won a significant battle that bodes well for them in the ultimate war.

Common opponents - keep that in mind as the season progresses.
what facts? Minnesota can wrap up the North with a win because I don't see Chicago being in the mix. If Green bay wins then it will get interesting but I would hardly give the Pack the upperhand. With a loss the Vikes still will own a half game lead so talk to me after they play the ravens,49'ers and Steelers.

Green_Bay_Packers

Cheesehead
Reaction score
baltimore? I think you have brutal last third of the schedule. those last 5 games are all winnable or loseable if you ask me.Sunday is huge for the pack. If you lose you gift wrap the North and will have to battle it out for a wild card spot. If the pack wins I think you could battle it out for the North so those last 5 games are huge. Minnesota has 3 of those tough games you have remaining out of the way but we still have the Bengals to play. Chicago is toast this year so it looks the pack and Vikings for the North so sunday is a must win for the packers IMO

Yeah Baltimore we could win that, lets not lie the Ravens havent been the same as last year so you never now, I honestly think we could win that game.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah Baltimore we could win that, lets not lie the Ravens havent been the same as last year so you never now, I honestly think we could win that game.
I am not saying you won't but Baltimore was in the AFC championship last year so I don't think a team coming off a 6-10 year should overlook anybody. Sorry but what happened to the Pack to make you think they have arrived? You keep talking about all this wins that are a shoo-in and I guess I am baffled by that. The penaltys are still there and really its not like you have played anybody thus far.Cincy looks pretty good but that was not a win for you but really at 4-2 and your already mapping out your plan for the playoffs?If the pack losses this week they will be back at 4-3 so I think it is a must win for the Pack because there is alot of mediocre teams in the NFL with Minnesota apart of that list. We will see but I want to see alot more out of the pack and Vikings before I call them contenders

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Are YOU drunk? You know for a fact that if GB wins against minny on sunday, the media will proclaim GB as number 1 in the north. THATS A FACT AND YOU KNOW IT. They will report that the vikes are unraveling due to 2 straight losses. Hell they are saying that now after one loss "whats wrong with brett and the vikings" They will say GB has won 3 straight and state how few points that GB's D has allowed over the last three games. Dont kid yourself, sundays game is huge and to some, it will determine the true number 1 in the NFC North.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Are YOU drunk? You know for a fact that if GB wins against minny on sunday, the media will proclaim GB as number 1 in the north. THATS A FACT AND YOU KNOW IT. They will report that the vikes are unraveling due to 2 straight losses. Hell they are saying that now after one loss "whats wrong with brett and the vikings" They will say GB has won 3 straight and state how few points that GB's D has allowed over the last three games. Dont kid yourself, sundays game is huge and to some, it will determine the true number 1 in the NFC North.
a win at home againxt a div. foe and you think all the sudden the packers are a contender? Whew I hardly think that is the case, Minnesota will still lead the north with a loss. Everbody in America saw that we outplayed Piittsburg so i doubt your right.. You are worried about who's no 1 at week 8? Some of you guys crack me up. That what you guys are hopeing what people say because if the Vikings win the North and make some noise the the packers will be the laughing stock of the NFL. So I can't wait:happy0005:In case you haven't noticed Minnesota doesn't get alot of talk because of who said that the lockeroom was divided on Favre and all that when he signed.The only "some " you are talking about are packer fans. 16 games decide the north and not a game at week 8. The Vikings will win sunday IMO so keep talking skippy as I remind you about your loss all next week!:jester:

A12ROD903

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You quoted my post. The least you could do is read it. I said the media. I didnt say that IMO GB will be number 1 . I SAID THE MEDIA. Please read it again. THE MEDIA will proclaim GB to be number 1 SKIPPY.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You quoted my post. The least you could do is read it. I said the media. I didnt say that IMO GB will be number 1 . I SAID THE MEDIA. Please read it again. THE MEDIA will proclaim GB to be number 1 SKIPPY.
Some will go with that but some said favre was going to be a problem in the lockeroom and he hasn't been so. We will see. Minnesota will still be in the picture of the North with a loss and will still be ahead in the standings. If the packers lose that might be your season.:happy0005:

DILLIGAFF

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am a huge Packer fan and I don't know if we are a contender.

I can say the vikings are contenders, after beating the Ravens and going into Pit. where the Steelers where in a must win game and playing them well. The ref made a bad call (on the lineman) on the vikings touch down, 2 plays later BF fumbles and Steelers run it back for 6. Thats a 14 point turn around. Who knows how that game would have ended.

This next game will tell everyone where these two teams are at. It will be like a playoff game. I was at the Monday Night game and the viking fans said it was louder and more pregame stuff than last years playoff game.

Even with a win, the Packers have a harder schedule with their remaining games than vikings. The vikings have one less game to play and a bye week.

The Pack is one injury away in the secondary from being in trouble. Harris, Woodson, Collins, Bigby. On offense its over if A-rod goes down, and if we loose Driver or Greg J..

With that said it is one game at a time, But a loss against the vikings puts the vikings firmly in the lead for the division and the Pack playing for a wild-card.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Some will go with that but some said favre was going to be a problem in the lockeroom and he hasn't been so. We will see. Minnesota will still be in the picture of the North with a loss and will still be ahead in the standings. If the packers lose that might be your season.

As YOU said, season is 16 games not 8

So while it APPEARS the Vikings are the front runner, nothing is for certain..

Recall 2003?

Minnesota 6-0 going into week 8, lost to the Giants,6-1 then went to GB and lost to be 6-2 then lost 2 more in a row..

Then the famous NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO catch in Arizona

Again I am not saying that GB is going to win, nor am I saying GB will go into the playoffs..Just showing you what looks to be a dominate team can and HAS tanked in 2nd half of the season.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I am a huge Packer fan and I don't know if we are a contender.

I can say the vikings are contenders, after beating the Ravens and going into Pit. where the Steelers where in a must win game and playing them well. The ref made a bad call (on the lineman) on the vikings touch down, 2 plays later BF fumbles and Steelers run it back for 6. Thats a 14 point turn around. Who knows how that game would have ended.

This next game will tell everyone where these two teams are at. It will be like a playoff game. I was at the Monday Night game and the viking fans said it was louder and more pregame stuff than last years playoff game.

Even with a win, the Packers have a harder schedule with their remaining games than vikings. The vikings have one less game to play and a bye week.

The Pack is one injury away in the secondary from being in trouble. Harris, Woodson, Collins, Bigby. On offense its over if A-rod goes down, and if we loose Driver or Greg J..

With that said it is one game at a time, But a loss against the vikings puts the vikings firmly in the lead for the division and the Pack playing for a wild-card.

The tripping no tripping call..Brett and the Vikings still had the ball on the 20 with 1st down....and on 3rd down is when he fumbled..They had a 2nd chance to get a TD and they failed..

The what if game works both ways...

What if AP goes down, or Brett goes down for them, they still the runner?

What if Donald Lee catches that ball in Minny?? Wow a TIE game..

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
what part of the Vikings-packers 1 did you not see the Vikings shut the offense down? The game would of played and could of if the game was closer than 16 down with 3 minutes to go. I doubt Brett would not thrown a pass in the 4th qtr if it was a 7 pt lead. You guys made a nice comeback to make it look closer than it actually was. Fact is you have to win sunday and go on the road to tampa and win there while the Vikings are getting healthy for the packers to be tied for first. Lot of ifs in my mind.

Skol guy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didnt see any of it, Sky Sports didnt show the game.
their and your loss as it was the most watched cable show ever! These packerbackers on here keep saying how we only lost by 7 but really it was a beatdown in everybody elses mind other than Packer fans. Brett was hitting at 81% comp. rate through the first 3 qtrs so I doubt the packers defense had that problem figured out.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts