Playoff situation, simplified

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
First of all, I'm gonna consider that we win both the NYG and CHI games. If we don't, no matter what, we don't make in.

Now, considering that we lose to the Patriots, these are the scenarios:

To win the division, it would take for the Bears to lose against the Vikings. Even if the Bears lose against the Jets, if they win against the Vikings, the division is theirs, due to division record.

Now, for the wildcard spot, it's simple:

TB holds the tiebreaker over everybody. So if they go 10-6, they're in.

We're the second tiebreaker winner, if we lose to the Pats, and everybody but Tampa goes 10-6.

NO needs to go 0-3 to go 10-6, so they're basically in.

--------

Bottom line, even considering we win against the Giants and Bears, if we lose to the Pats we need either:

For the Bears to lose to MN.
Or TB to go 1-2. They play the Lions at home, Seattle at home, and NO at NO.
Or NO to go 0-3. They do play BAL at BAL, ATL at ATL, and TB at NO.

I end this with... SKOL VIKINGS!!!!!!

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
Thanks for the analysis.

It looks pretty bleak, especially since we're facing a tough Pats team next week in their house. We're gonna need a lot of faith to see this through. Making the playoffs seems like a far enough reach right now, much less winning the SB.

Incubes12

Bay Harbor Butcher?
Reaction score
I also hate how I have to root for the Cowboys tonight, just because I don't want to see the Eagles in the playoffs (if we make it that is).

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Packer fans dont want to root for a diff team if it helps the PAck get into the playoffs?

Texpackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We appreciate the analysis but I think the bottom line is we need to win the final 2 games. If we don't, we will need some help from the other teams.

I have a little less faith in making the playoffs but still believe that we can beat the Giants and Bears since they are at Lambeau field.

JCpackers04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packer fans dont want to root for a diff team if it helps the PAck get into the playoffs?

Its not that...I will definitely be rooting for the Vikings. What i meant by i dont like having to root for them, is that i think that team is a complete mess and i dont have any faith in them being able to help us.

JoshuaRHuffman

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hmmm so TB has the tiebreaker on us, also?

Oooh.... yeah, that CHI and MIN game is going to be huge. Luckily for CHI, MIN is on a short week.

They just need to focus on NE now. Maybe they were looking ahead to that game and they'll be more prepared for them. We'll see.

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree, the most plausible is that Vikes beat Chicago. Besides, I won't have as much of a problem rooting for the Vikes if TJ starts, in fact since it helps us rather than hurt us, I can't help but wish that he would show Favre up in a big way. Another thing is that if Rodgers has to be out a game, I would rather have it be the NE game since that is the one we have the least chance of winning. We will beat the Giants & Chicago.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score

I understand that it helps the Pack but rooting for the Vikings goes against everything I hold sacred. Plus I don't like to give them credit for any of the hard work the Pack has done to be in a position to be thinking playoffs.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I understand that it helps the Pack but rooting for the Vikings goes against everything I hold sacred. Plus I don't like to give them credit for any of the hard work the Pack has done to be in a position to be thinking playoffs.

I know what you mean, after my last post saying that I would be cheering for the Vikes I had to go wash my hands and mouth out with soap.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pathetic offense today starting with Quarless fumbling away the opening scoring chance, and Jennings backsetting a perfect touchdown pass into an interception.
Those were the 14 early points that this gameplan called for in order to have the routine blowout that this important divisional & conference game should have been.

And I'm sick of the White Wall and have been for 5 years.
Tauscher out, Bulaga in.
Colledge out, Spitz in.
Spitz out, TJ Lang in....... it never ends, and always, our OL is a finesses OL.

tmlfan3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TB holds the tiebreaker over everybody. So if they go 10-6, they're in.

hmmm... I ran the ESPN playoff simulator shown and selected winners by power ranking. Shows the pack going 2-1 (loss to NE obviously) and the bucs going 2-1 (loss to NO only). We both finish 10-6 but we get in as the sixth seed... so I'm not sure if TB does have the tiebreaker. Of course I'm at work so don't have time to look into this.

PackfanDE

Cheesehead
Reaction score
hmmm... I ran the ESPN playoff simulator shown and selected winners by power ranking. Shows the pack going 2-1 (loss to NE obviously) and the bucs going 2-1 (loss to NO only). We both finish 10-6 but we get in as the sixth seed... so I'm not sure if TB does have the tiebreaker. Of course I'm at work so don't have time to look into this.

It TB, NYG, and GB all finish 10-6, we would win the tie-breaker. Not sure what the tie-breaker would be, but we would win it (according to the ESPN Playoff Machine)

OP
OP
PackersRS

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, you're right.

They base it on Strenght of Victory. All the results, if they go like that, will decide that our schedule was thougher.

Wow. Things got much more complicated. This I cannot simulate.

Damn, and here I thought I had some plausible scenario. Everything I posted is wrong then. We'll only know possible clinching scenarios in the last week...

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew it! You all LUUUUUV the Vikes...you love, love, love them. Go ahead, cheer for them tonight...it feels goooood.

LOL! I'd almost rather run my eyes through with red hot pokers but it just goes to show you what I'm willing to do for my team! I have to keep telling myself do it for the Packers, do it for the Packers.

Good luck to you guys. I hope you keep Jackson on as QB and develop him as I see a franchise QB in him, instead of looking for the next Favre and a bunch of dreams that will only come crashing down on your heads.

2411t

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LOL! What's funny about this is that we still control our destiny! LOL! With that said... SKOL VIKINGS!

bozo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I knew it! You all LUUUUUV the Vikes...you love, love, love them. Go ahead, cheer for them tonight...it feels goooood.
OMG...ya thats it we secretly LOVE the Vikes ***** ****!

I'm rootin for the Yikes, because it will help MY team!

Tomorrow I will revert back...I hope your team is IN the stadium when the roof collapses the next time LOL!

Members online

Latest posts