Play Bigby at OLB

Mko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don should move Bigby to the right side OLB. He has the body to play it and would be great against the run, rushing the passer and dropping into coverage. It would be no different than when they used to move him down into the box as the 8th defender. Charlie Peprah is playing well so no need to take him out. If we could find one more play maker to go with Clay and Woodson our D will be a nightmare for people to prepare for and I think Bigby could be the guy.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think you just had an epiphany. That's a really good idea!

Should we risk making such a move against the Viking though? Or wait until later?

PackerFanLV

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Uhhh I think in some packages yea like a psyco package or something like that, but not in a base defence he's to small he would get ran the hell over.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thing is, he doesn't. He's 5'11 and 213.
Clay Matthews is 6'3 255, Brad Jones, who's considered light, is 6'3 242, and Frank Zombo is 6'3 254.

Bigby is too small and too light to play any LB position, let alone OLB in the 3-4... Bad idea.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh no! I didn't know Mr BIGS was that small. He looks much bigger.... Well it was a nice thought... He'd have to bulk up in mass, but not much you can do about being 5'11, he's only an inch taller than me, LOL!!!! He'd get steam rolled by O-Line men. Poor Mr BIGS!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oh no! I didn't know Mr BIGS was that small. He looks much bigger.... Well it was a nice thought... He'd have to bulk up in mass, but not much you can do about being 5'11, he's only an inch taller than me, LOL!!!! He'd get steam rolled by O-Line men. Poor Mr BIGS!
He has the intensity and phisicality.

But his frame is just too small. He can never bulk up that much.

Lofa Tatupu is 5'11, but he's a 4-3 MLB. Those can be smaller, with 2 big DTs in front of them. 3-4 OLBs don't have that luxury... They have to engage in blocks almost every time.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don should move Bigby to the right side OLB. He has the body to play it and would be great against the run, rushing the passer and dropping into coverage. It would be no different than when they used to move him down into the box as the 8th defender. Charlie Peprah is playing well so no need to take him out. If we could find one more play maker to go with Clay and Woodson our D will be a nightmare for people to prepare for and I think Bigby could be the guy.

No way, they have some good OLB's in Chillar, CM3, BJ, and Zombo... Putting Bigby there would just make him get hurt again and he wouldn't be able to shed blockers, too small. Packers need his presence in the secondary or depth. They are fine at LB, and I think they are still one of the more talented groups (which is attributed solely to Matthews but still.)

NelsonsLongCatch

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Carolina Panthers did this with Thomas Davis. Davis was a player the Packers were targeting a few drafts ago in the first round. Davis was a BIG safety. He has been an above-average linebacker for years now.

OP
OP
M

Mko

Cheesehead
Reaction score
No way, they have some good OLB's in Chillar, CM3, BJ, and Zombo... Putting Bigby there would just make him get hurt again and he wouldn't be able to shed blockers, too small. Packers need his presence in the secondary or depth. They are fine at LB, and I think they are still one of the more talented groups (which is attributed solely to Matthews but still.)

We have one great OLB in Clay...Chillar is good in coverage...Brad is done for the year....Zombo may be a good LB one day but not this year.

First I must say I didn't realize he was that light. His height doesn't mean as much but being that light does. My concern with our D is Clay is guaranteed to be doubled or tripled every play the rest of the year. Now Clay is great and will still get a sack or two a game but we have to have some production out of the other OLB and so far we have not.

Bigby is a play maker and has a nose for the ball. Also if you remember back in 2007 & 2008 we would bring Bigby up as the 8th man in the box to stop the run and he did a good job doing that.

Just saying with Clay taking and extra blocker or two on every play someone else needs to step up to take advantage of the mismatch in numbers he creates.

Members online

Latest posts