Pittsburghs Receiving Corps Lacks Depth

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see those games, so I can't comment on Bishop. It will be interesting to see how Bishop does against Miller. Miller doesn't get the accolades that other pass catching TEs get because he is an excellent blocker and often stays in to add extra protection. However, when he does break off his blocks, he's extremely reliable at catching the ball and big enough to fight for extra yards. I would put him up against any of the top TEs in the league. Don't let his stats fool you. If he was in a different offense like NE or IND, he would regularly have 70+ catches (like he had last year).

Celek is extremely reliable and so is Gonzalez. I will give you the fact that Olsen is more of a receiving tight end rather than being an all around tight end. Gonzalez had 70 receptions this season and both Olsen and Celek were right there with Miller.

But none of the 3 had any success whatsoever against the Packers in the playoffs which says something about their ability to cover.

:chisux:

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
heres the dagger to pittsburgh saying they have a legit receiving corps

Heath miller with 77 total receiving yards 38.5 average a game
Some guy named sanders has 74 receiving yards 37 yards a game
Hines Ward has 39 receiving yards 19.5 average a game
Brown has 89 yards 44.5 yards a game
Mike Wallace has 26 yards 13 yards a game
That is A L L of the yards they got in 2 playoff games.
NFL Stats: by Player Category

Heres the Packers stats
Greg Jennings with 239 receiving yards averaging 79.7 yards a game
Donald Driver with 141 receiving yards averaging 47.0 yards a game
Jordy Nelson with 146 receiving yards averaging 48.7 yards a game
James Jones with 94 receiving yards averaging 31.3 yards a game

Burgh Splat Lambert

Cheesehead
Reaction score
heres the dagger to pittsburgh saying they have a legit receiving corps

Heath miller with 77 total receiving yards 38.5 average a game
Some guy named sanders has 74 receiving yards 37 yards a game
Hines Ward has 39 receiving yards 19.5 average a game
Brown has 89 yards 44.5 yards a game
Mike Wallace has 26 yards 13 yards a game
That is A L L of the yards they got in 2 playoff games.

Heres the Packers stats
Greg Jennings with 239 receiving yards averaging 79.7 yards a game
Donald Driver with 141 receiving yards averaging 47.0 yards a game
Jordy Nelson with 146 receiving yards averaging 48.7 yards a game
James Jones with 94 receiving yards averaging 31.3 yards a game
No one said the Steelers win pretty.

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Those numbers are skewed by the Jets game where we ran it down their throats (over 160 yards rushing) and Ben hardly threw a ball in the second half aside from the few key first down passes he completed.

I do believe the Pack have the edge in the receiving corp but I don't think it's as huge as many are making it out to be.

It's not like the Packers threw a lot over the 2nd half of the Bear game either

Wood Chipper

Fantasy Football Guru
Reaction score
Rodgers was 7-15 in the 2nd half of the Bears game. He threw exactly the same number of passes in the second half (15) as he did in the first half. Ben threw a total of 19 passes during the entire game against the Jets.

yep and that sounds like a choice the team made. noone said hey if you throw twenty passes or more im gonna **** u up

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Rodgers was 7-15 in the 2nd half of the Bears game. He threw exactly the same number of passes in the second half (15) as he did in the first half. Ben threw a total of 19 passes during the entire game against the Jets.

I should have clarified that....Not like the Packers did much more in the Second half than the Steelers did....

it's crazy scary how much these two teams look alike

T

TMC

I do not know if I would use playoff stats to give a whole picture. I mean, the three teams the Packers faced were much better against the run and weaker against the pass. The Bears were 9th overall, but 20th against the pass. The Falcons were 16th overall, but 22nd against the pass. The Eagles were 12th overall, but 14th against the pass. The Steelers faced the Ravens and Jets. Both of them fielded top 10 overall defenses (Jets-3rd, Ravens-10th). The Jets were 6th against the pass and the Ravens were 21st. But, the Ravens were a rivalry for us, you can throw stats out the window (like the Pack/Bears).

There are just too many variables to attempt to use a small sample size like the playoffs to prove this point. The Packers have a more seasoned group of wide receivers, there is little doubt there, but the Steelers have good starters, some vets in the mix behind them, and two explosive rookies. In addition, the Steelers have experience at runningback and we throw to them AND are better at tightend.

The Steelers are far from lacking depth at WR, it is just young.

Madtown Steeler

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The steelers depth at wr is amazing ! They have fresh legs that can flat out fly ......I love how people think this GREAT secondary is gods gift. Only the people in Chicago can say more than 2 of the bears wr names, Falcons only have 1, and the eagles have 1. We have 3 that will fly by you and then 1 that will take the middle by storm and get up smiling ! Randle el is a DQ nightmare. You keep thinking your secondary is a tank and will find a kink in that armour........count on it !

Members online

Latest posts