Pittsburghs Receiving Corps Lacks Depth

Zeck180

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Funny, our last few opponents thought the exact same thing (no depth at WR).

Run with that. :D

Funny the Falcons thought they'd walk all over us, oops! We won 48-21, Bears same thing, we took out their first two Qbs and forced mistakes. Benny isn't going pass all over the Pack like he did last year, that was last this is this year. The Pack still have one of the best turn over ratios in the league matter of fact for the 2010 season we're ranked first. And if Ben makes a mistake and throws an INT, A-Rod will make you pay for it with 7 points.

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zeck,
If you say so *shrug*. But this thread isn't about that. It's about the Steelers' supposed "lack of depth at WR".

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Zeck,
If you say so *shrug*. But this thread isn't about that. It's about the Steelers' supposed "lack of depth at WR".

Well, I look at it this way - Remember when ya all played that pathetic New England defense full of rookies, and Whines Hard was knocked out of the game, thereby ending his "Games with a reception" record? Remember how badly your offense struggled after that happened?

Sure, you got some other threats, but I recall in that game other receivers suddenly came down with severe PizzaPaddleitis after Ben's binky (Ward) was taken away.

if the Pack get up a score or so on you, Ben will be forcing throws to Ward. Predictable. :D

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speath,Saunders, Randel El and Brown are very good and used with frequency.

Spaeth is very good? Compared to what? The iinvisible man?

He had all of 9 receptions the entire season. Does he even have a reception in the postseason?

Randle El. A nice veteran presence but where has he been in the playoffs? Very good? No.

:chisux:

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I look at it this way - Remember when ya all played that pathetic New England defense full of rookies, and Whines Hard was knocked out of the game, thereby ending his "Games with a reception" record? Remember how badly your offense struggled after that happened?

Sure, you got some other threats, but I recall in that game other receivers suddenly came down with severe PizzaPaddleitis after Ben's binky (Ward) was taken away.

if the Pack get up a score or so on you, Ben will be forcing throws to Ward. Predictable. :D

Again, if you say so.
I would like to address your previous comment for a sec:
Funny the Falcons thought they'd walk all over us, oops!
I just wanna point out that I never claimed or implied that we would "walk all over you". I don't think you'll find any sane person who thinks your pass defense sucks.

TheSnowPlow

Driving Don Shula Crazy
Reaction score
Again, if you say so.
I would like to address your previous comment for a sec:

I just wanna point out that I never claimed or implied that we would "walk all over you". I don't think you'll find any sane person who thinks your pass defense sucks.

I think you must have me confused with someone else. I've never commented about the Falcons. Just for the record. :)

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
they are not as deep as our receiving corps, but Ward is very close to Driver is stile of play, Wallace is really good, really fast (not as good as Jennings, of course), Emanuel Sanders is a good slot receiver...

They have good receivers. I think we have a good matchup, with Woodson on Ward, Williams on Wallace and Shields on Sanders.

I think we have the better matchup every time.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Just for the record. The Steelers have no one to catch the ball right?

Steelers top 7 players with receptions

260 catches 3,525 yards 13.9 yards per catch, 1 TD every 13.7 catches.

Packers top 7 players with receptions

307 catches 3.97 yards 12.9 yards per catch, 1 TD every 11.8 catches.

Don't sell the Steelers receivers short.

T

TMC

I hope and pray that Tramon Williams matches up in man coverage with Mike Wallace. I hope he does it all day.

Wallace will chew him up. Tramon Williams cannot break 4.5 in the 40 going downhill with a tail wind.

Oddly enough, the Ravens doubled Wallace with a corner and a safety over the top. It forced the Steelers go go elsewhere. The results? Sanders had 4 catches for 54 yards and Brown had 3 for 75.

Not only do the Steelers have excellent starters, they have quality depth. They have a better tight end. They have a better running game. They have better balance.

If the Steelers choke the Packers pass game down, you are done. It's over. And, I have watched film on the Packers defense, the Steelers will come out in the bunch formation. If the Packers have 5 DBs on the field, they will run. If they are in the standard formation, they will throw. So, when the Steelers have Wallace, Ward, Sanders, Miller, and Mendenhall on the field, do you bring in Shields?

If you bring in the extra DB, Wallace will split out alone, they will bunch the TE and two WRs, Mendenhall will run. I have little doubt we have the best blocking TE and WRs in this game. If you stay in your base to counter the run, it places a linebacker on a TE and receiver. You play zone, they settle in the zones. You play man, they beat your LBs.

See, we could care less if Wallace gets 100 yards or Mendenhall runs for 80. It is all about winning. To win, you have to win the matchups.

GoSlash27

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Alright, then who's got Miller? Do you have the better matchup there???

Honestly, if I'm Dom Capers I'd be worried about Miller more than anyone else. He's not a deep threat, but he's awfully hard to cover, rarely drops a pass, and is good for sustaining drives.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I would think Capers will employ the same strategy as he used to shut down Brent Celek, Tony Gonzalez and Greg Olson.

None of them scored on the Packers or had more than 3 receptions.

Not too shabby imho.

Burgh Splat Lambert

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Ya think so? hmmmmm.

Burgh Splat Lambert

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spaeth is very good? Compared to what? The iinvisible man?

He had all of 9 receptions the entire season. Does he even have a reception in the postseason?

Randle El. A nice veteran presence but where has he been in the playoffs? Very good? No.

Spaeth doesn't play often, but is very sure handed and Randle El ads a nice dimension to the offense.

JJP41

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Spaeth doesn't play often, but is very sure handed and Randle El ads a nice dimension to the offense.

I understand the impact Brown and Sanders could have, but considering the fact that Sparth has basically been a non factor all season and neither he or Randle El have a reception in the post season, I don't see how they could be tagged as being "very good."

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bishop did a number on Gonzales and Celek, who are better pass catchers than Miller.

Sorry, not worried about our guys covering. We had HUGE problems with covering the middle of the field last year, and also with covering bunch formations.

Those aren't problems anymore.

This is gonna sound really cocky, but I'm worried about only 2 things in this game: Stopping Mendenhall, but mainly protecting Aaron Rodgers.

Those are the areas where your team clearly have the advantage (though we've been MUCH better at containing the run, we've had fits containing scrambling QBs early on, but it's been corrected). If we're able to suceed in those areas, IMHO we win the game.

Steeler Tim

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Steelers do have depth at WR but it is a very young group. Let me just say that I think the Packers and the Jets have the best secondaries in the league this year.

We played the Jets twice and never had big problems throwing against them. One big difference between the Pack and the Jets is that the Jets don't have Clay Mathews. However, towards the end of the season Ben has developed quite a repoire with Sanders. Another thing the Pack might want to watch out for is there are rumors swirling around the Steeler facilities that Antonio Brown is faster than Mike Wallace. That might be worth watching. Ben does not hesitate to throw to any of our receivers. He has tremendous faith in the rookies and they have come through for him during the year.

As I've said before ... it should be a great game with a lot of great matchups.

:happy0005:

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Steelers do have depth at WR but it is a very young group. Let me just say that I think the Packers and the Jets have the best secondaries in the league this year.

We played the Jets twice and never had big problems throwing against them. One big difference between the Pack and the Jets is that the Jets don't have Clay Mathews. However, towards the end of the season Ben has developed quite a repoire with Sanders. Another thing the Pack might want to watch out for is there are rumors swirling around the Steeler facilities that Antonio Brown is faster than Mike Wallace. That might be worth watching. Ben does not hesitate to throw to any of our receivers. He has tremendous faith in the rookies and they have come through for him during the year.

As I've said before ... it should be a great game with a lot of great matchups.

:happy0005:
I think you nailed it on the head. The Jets' pass rush is severely lacking, maybe since Chris Jenkins went down. Against the Patriots, Brady had all day to throw, but his receivers were covered.

Against Ben, he improvises so much, that the secondary simply can't cover forever. If the rush doesn't get home consistantly, Ben wins. Heck, even if it do, he sometimes wins anyway.

The pass rush, and the nickel corner. The Jets don't have 3 great corners, they have 2. They don't have a great safety. And they don't have a player like Woodson, who can do multiple things.

When we played you last year, we had no interior pass rush, as only Cullen Jenkins was capable (Raji was too raw). We had only one great corner, as Harris was injuried, and Tramon was only a good corner.

Sam Shields is in the same level as Tramon was last year, Tramon is playing almost as well as Revis, if not as well, and Woodson, though a step down from last year, is Woodson. Plus we got Collins.

Also, a big improvement is Bishop. I have no idea why, but the coaching staff thought that Brandon Chillar was a great cover LB. He was AWFUL. He got hurt, Barnett got hurt, and they were forced to use Bishop as the primarily cover ILB. It has worked great. And Hawk is playing MUCH better now.

Raji is a dominant force now, Cullen Jenkins is playing as well as he's ever had, Matthews is a much better player than last year...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't see those games, so I can't comment on Bishop. It will be interesting to see how Bishop does against Miller. Miller doesn't get the accolades that other pass catching TEs get because he is an excellent blocker and often stays in to add extra protection. However, when he does break off his blocks, he's extremely reliable at catching the ball and big enough to fight for extra yards. I would put him up against any of the top TEs in the league. Don't let his stats fool you. If he was in a different offense like NE or IND, he would regularly have 70+ catches (like he had last year).
From watching him, I would never put him in the same realm as Gonzo, Finley, Witten, Davis, Gates, Clark... in terms of pass catching, and not because of numbers or scheme, but due to physical tools. He's not as fast and as big as them, his hands are really good but he's not a spetacular catcher like those guys.

I do think he's a great throwback TE, and a much better blocker than all of them (though Witten is close IMHO), which is perfect for the system you run.