1. Welcome to Green Bay Packers NFL Football Forum & Community!
    Packer Forum is one of the largest online communities for the Green Bay Packers.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member! Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Picture from my deer stand

Discussion in 'The Atrium' started by AmishMafia, Nov 23, 2013.

1. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 52 / -4
    Unfortunately, my yearly hunting trip to Wisconsin had to be cancelled. I had a prolonged legal battle involving my daughter. Actually hearings wrapped up on Thursday, but it was too late to get tickets.

Anyhow, I am really missing family, hunting, and just the outdoors.

If you are hunting right now, or will later, or . . . Post a picture of the view from you deer stand. Don't have to be deer in view. Let's see where you hunt! (Pics of big bucks hanging or family shots also accepted)

BTW: After nearly 8 years of legal battles and enough money I could have just bought 160 acres :-( - I am finally victorious 100%.
  2. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +925 / 16 / -9
    Well, congrats on that on A.M. obviously, you are outside of Wisconsin because if you have testicles, you'll never win in Family Court here. That's from a banker's perspective, I've never gone through it. No hunting pictures...I'm putting up outdoor Xmas lights in 20-degree temps and 20 mph winds....yeah...it's wonderful. I started putting out the lights last weekend in 50-degree temps with 30 mph winds and rain ... got a couple of low voltage shocks and waited for better weather...and this is what I get.

Anyway, no one is really out hunting...hell, half didn't even bring their guns, and if they did, the guns are leaning in the corner of the hunting shack because the owners are at ti**ies bars getting drunk and parting with LOTS of $1 bills. :)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. longtimefan

longtimefan Super Moderator Staff Member Super Moderator

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    I used to hunt for 20+ years outside of Greenbay on a private farm..Funny thing?? Our own @The Drew 's wife knows the farmer that owns the land I hunted on..

I started hunting there in 78 and stopped going hunting there in 2000...Many good times....My dad, one brother, brother in law and his son and my godfather..

Biggest was aan 11 pointer that took off after I shot it and went where my dad was..Deer hid in tall grass and my dad just started shooting near it...Knocked off 4 tines..But I was proud to let my dad believe he shot the deer..Was his only deer in 35 years of hunting..When my dad was nearing the end of his life, he let me have the mount and said he knew I really shot it, but he knew I let him think it to make him happy.

The LAST year there on last day as I am walking to another part of the farmers land I saw the farmers oldest walking back home..I asked to use his stand and he said of course and told me where it was..45mins later I am in his stand and shooting my last deer there..

Was a 6 pointer and it really pissed that boy off. :)

I was okay not going anymore as my dad stopped going, my brother went on his own property (and didnt ask me to go) but with my dad not going, I didnt feel right going anymore..

I did go one more time about 6 years ago on the last day with my nephew on a private campground, and got a spiker..

But now with my dad passed, it is something I always think off and get little sad..But at same time it wasnt the deer, it was being with family and letting everything left behind for a bit...We would go up on Fri set up our trailer on the farmers land and then take his entire family out for a fish fry..

Those memories will NEVER be lostg
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  4. Smokeychedder

Smokeychedder Tailgaiter

Ratings:
    +276 / 16 / -7
    Packer Fan Since:
  5. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
  6. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +925 / 16 / -9
    I'm with you, LT. Even though I do not hunt and will spare you my usual snarky comments about whether or not it's a sport ;) , I used to go up with my brother-in-laws ( 5 very fun guys ), brother and later on, nephews ... and be "the cook" which was kinda funny at the very baseline of it all ... 3-4 days of a "chili dump" was the reality of it all. Not so much anymore....

My brother's 'tree stand' is fully enclosed with electricity, a very large TV and antenna .... hahaha... carpeted... he's pretty proud of what he created, but it's kind of like going to Lambeau and watching the game from behind the glass. What a puss he's become. :) My father would agree if were still living. :)
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Poppa San

Poppa San Pray daily and take the plunge for Eli Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +857 / 29 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    Sorry to be late on this but I was up hunting until yesterday and its taking time to catch up.
    Really cold for the hunt this year. The wind was the worst it's been in recent memory. Blowing hard every day until today. Low temps in the single digits, highs mid 20's for the weekend. I was out the whole weekend in my or my brother's stands or walking the corn or woods. Hardest parts were the corn is still standing because we've had a wet month and the corn is too wet to harvest, high moisture content makes it too costly to dry down for storage. Also many fields are bogs at the moment. The cold showed up late last week and on top of the wet made the swamps perilous in that the ice was just not quite thick enough to walk on. My 13 year old lost his boot in the swamp and after getting it out had a 2/3 mile walk back to camp in 15deg weather with a wet foot.
    I hunt the ancestral family farm just south of Shawano. 200 acres of low farm land and cedar swamps. We abut 600 acres of farmed public land on one side and the other 3 sides are surrounded by continuation of the cedar swamp. Probably 1500 acres of swamp, all posted private. Different camp this year in that the owner is under going chemo so we stayed low key in her house. My dad, a brother, and a son decided to hunt elsewhere this year so our numbers were down. Our party took a few. I missed on the big buck though by holding out for a better shot that didn't appear.
  8. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,165 / 16 / -7
    I went to the store today to buy the ingredients for my homemade pork burgers. I`ve never hunted, although I shot a friend with an air rifle by accident once. Does that count ? :)
  9. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +925 / 16 / -9
    It counts Bill. Up here, we don't pay much attention to what you describe but we keep count of the number F.I.B.'s that mistake cattle and horses for deer. I, like you, do my best hunting at the Supermarket. I prefer going to the meat market in the Wobbly Sow (that's the "Piggly Wiggly" to the unlearned in the vernacular of Northeastern and North central Wisconsin).

Now Bill, what you have described in the pork burgers is close to heaven... however, add a beef patty to that pork patty, a couple slices of bacon and whatever condiments you like and you have all the makings of burger intended for a man. A burger that you can just save yourself a ton of time by having it surgically implanted in your arteries versus eating it. :)
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,165 / 16 / -7
    I`m just in the middle of making a batch of spicy "man" apple chutney to store for the next time I make these pork burgers. I`ve use a good measure of Apple brandy in it, and feel a bit light headed with the smells in my kitchen. Its a good job that "She who must be obeyed !" is working today.....lol
    Enjoy you thanksgiving Weeds ;)
  11. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
  12. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +925 / 16 / -9
    Whatdayamean?? She was just in here telling me to get off the computer....???....!!!!
  13. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Bill's wife
  14. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +925 / 16 / -9
    It would almost seem that way since all wives ... all ladies for that matter ... are sisters.
  15. Poppa San

Poppa San Pray daily and take the plunge for Eli Staff Member Moderator

Ratings:
    +857 / 29 / -2
    Packer Fan Since:
    Don't you be lumping mistresses in with missusses.
  16. weeds

weeds Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +925 / 16 / -9
    I didn't Poppa ... ;) I think it was you that made that connection. Still and the same, I'm proud of you for doing so.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. AmishMafia

AmishMafia There's cheese under that hat

Ratings:
    +1,509 / 52 / -4
    Counts only if your friend was named 'Buck'.
  18. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,165 / 16 / -7
    it sounded like "Buck"
  19. longtimefan

Ratings:
    +2,544 / 76 / -14
    Packer Fan Since:
    Your friend's name is

truck
    yuk
    pluck
    luck
    duck
    ???
  20. buggybill2003

buggybill2003 Cheesehead

Ratings:
    +1,165 / 16 / -7
    Yes. Pluck Campion is a very good friend of mine ;)