Peter King's take on all of this

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
warhawk said:
Arod and all the fans need to put their big boy shoes on because looking outside in the plain truth is no matter how it's served up having Brett back with Rodgers behind him is a better deal for us than Rodgers/Brohm. Period.

Exactly.. having both on the roster makes us a stronger team overall.. regardless who starts.. sounds like a bunch of childern.. I didn't get to start so I should throw a fit.. grow a set, man up and play ball.

Lets coddle them a little more at this point.. rumors have floated around about Rodgers fragile ego before.. maybe they are true. And Favre..for someone that was tired.. he sure brings more attention to himself.

The very thing that I hate about sports is poor sportsmanship, and if either of these guys (Rodgers or Favre) play the pity card.. the amount of respect I had for either gets reduced instantly.

I know, like that is a big deal overall, but in my sons eyes and how he is learning to play sports, it most certainly is.

I agree that from a personell standpoint it makes us the deeper better team. but from a leadership and locker room side, does it really make us better? from a scheme standpoint, does it make us better?

I would say that it complicates both things more than it helps. but you cannot argue that with both qb's we are a more dangerous team on paper.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:
trippster said:
Who's to say Cheesy is intellegent with his 125 IQ? :shock:
Huh???
I thought my comments made perfect sense.
In reality, what happens with Favre is not in his control anymore. He took away that control when he retired. Now it's up to the Packers mgmt whether or not they let him play here, or send him away.
I'm totally torn on all of this.
The main reason being..........will the entire team rally around Favre if he comes back, or will they shun him because of his waffleing. Not just this off season, but the past 2 also. Yes, he deserved time to decide. And he did decide. Yes, from what we hear through the "grapevine" he has an "itch". But just how serious IS that itch?
None of us really KNOWS the answers to ANY of the questions posed. We just have opinions based totally on the small tidbits we hear. So who really KNOWS what the REAL truth is? Only Favre, and the Packers mgmt.
I'm surely not gonna start a war with my Packer "family" on here, based on nothing more then a bunch of rumors that NONE of us know are even true.
If the Packers welcome Favre back, i will cheer for him. If not, then i will cheer on Rodgers, or whoever is our QB.
All this mess could have been avoided had Favre said he was coming back all along. Even if he felt he wasn't, he could have more easily changed his mind during camp, and it would have been more accepted. Like "The man wanted to play, but realized he couldn't any more". That would have gone over easier, and no one would have got hurt.
Oh well......just my humble opinions.

Pooter!?
Just injecting off balance humor. not too many people have it on this thread. So I thought you could help me out.

Hey, let;s go get one of those ice cream dishes at Curly's!
Ha ha!!!! :D
Got ya Trippster!!!! :lol:
ALL of your humor is "off balance"!!!
I have tried to figure out how to inject humor into all of this mess.....but everyone is SOOO *****, i was kind of afraid. I would have to be NUTS to try that. It would be kind of ballsy. :wink:

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pack93z said:
warhawk said:
Arod and all the fans need to put their big boy shoes on because looking outside in the plain truth is no matter how it's served up having Brett back with Rodgers behind him is a better deal for us than Rodgers/Brohm. Period.

Exactly.. having both on the roster makes us a stronger team overall.. regardless who starts.. sounds like a bunch of childern.. I didn't get to start so I should throw a fit.. grow a set, man up and play ball.

Lets coddle them a little more at this point.. rumors have floated around about Rodgers fragile ego before.. maybe they are true. And Favre..for someone that was tired.. he sure brings more attention to himself.

The very thing that I hate about sports is poor sportsmanship, and if either of these guys (Rodgers or Favre) play the pity card.. the amount of respect I had for either gets reduced instantly.

I know, like that is a big deal overall, but in my sons eyes and how he is learning to play sports, it most certainly is.

I agree that from a personell standpoint it makes us the deeper better team. but from a leadership and locker room side, does it really make us better? from a scheme standpoint, does it make us better?

I would say that it complicates both things more than it helps. but you cannot argue that with both qb's we are a more dangerous team on paper.

True dat (your last statement).

Now, keep in mind this is just a rumor, but this link is saying that a lot of players will welcome Favre back:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/...lt=Aja9DBbHmpeiYpQ1vEiTsFKG2bYF?urn=nfl,92673

As for a scheme standpoint, hard to say.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That article is not great. not a single quote or reference to back up its claims. and the whole thing was based on a rumor from PFT...... i mean im not buying it... although i do think its common sense that some Packers would love to have him back. BUT what current Packer in their right mind would say they didn't want Brett Favre back. they all know what he means to the fans of the area and crossing him would be a death sentence.

(which by the way is also a huge factor in the QB competition everyone is calling for. If you think anyone is getting a fair shot at Favre, your wrong)

Listen I love Brett Favre. but in the comments section of that article someone put this and it deserves repeating.

Favre's last 10 years...

- 6 playoff appearances, never winning more than one playoff game in one year
- 3 wins
- 6 loses
- 16 TD's (playoffs)
- 18 INT's (playoffs)

We all have no idea of what Rodgers is capable of in the playoffs, but we do have a great idea of what Favre is capable of. If he returns its a Super Bowl or bust situation... are we sure he can do it? judging on the past ten years.... maybe not. maybe the unknown is better than the known... maybe not.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That article is not great. not a single quote or reference to back up its claims. and the whole thing was based on a rumor from PFT...... i mean im not buying it... although i do think its common sense that some Packers would love to have him back. BUT what current Packer in their right mind would say they didn't want Brett Favre back. they all know what he means to the fans of the area and crossing him would be a death sentence.

(which by the way is also a huge factor in the QB competition everyone is calling for. If you think anyone is getting a fair shot at Favre, your wrong)

Listen I love Brett Favre. but in the comments section of that article someone put this and it deserves repeating.

Favre's last 10 years...

- 3 wins
- 6 loses
- 16 TD's (playoffs)
- 18 INT's (playoffs)

We all have no idea of what Rodgers is capable of in the playoffs, but we do have a great idea of what Favre is capable of. If he returns its a Super Bowl or bust situation... are we sure he can do it? judging on the past ten years.... maybe not. maybe the unknown is better than the known... maybe not.

Yes, but take another thing into consideration - we plain sucked in the Playoffs with Sherman as Coach, especially when he became GM and had no depth whatsoever. Those final years were painful to watch in the Playoffs.

Now, with MM as Coach, we were 1-1 and one FG away, in overtime no less, from the SB.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packnic said:

Favre's last 10 years...

- 3 wins
- 6 loses
- 16 TD's (playoffs)
- 18 INT's (playoffs)

Yes, but take another thing into consideration - we plain sucked in the Playoffs with Sherman as Coach, especially when he became GM and had no depth whatsoever. Those final years were painful to watch in the Playoffs.

Now, with MM as Coach, we were 1-1 and one FG away, in overtime no less, from the SB.

thats a good point... but maybe that means that MM is more of a catalyst for what went right last year rather than Favre...

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thats a good point... but maybe that means that MM is more of a catalyst for what went right last year rather than Favre...

Credit goes all around. MM's system is excellent. He was making some really good offensive adjustments and Favre was spending every extra hour in the film room and it showed when he got onto the field and knew exactly what the D was going to throw at him.

I've been a Packer fan since '76 and I'm already sold on MM. He may be the best Coach we've had, and yes, that's including Holmgren. Don't be surprised if we end up with a ring or 2 under MM.

But to say MM gets more credit than Favre or vice versa is a tough call. Keep in mind, Favre before Grant just how good Favre was with the worst rushing O in the NFL. But then it was MM making the decisions too. Can we just give credit to both without saying one was more important than the other?

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I mean, best Coach since Lombardi, but that was before I was born so I'm not counting Vince.

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
de_real_deal said:
This is a win now league. Favre gives us the best option to win now. How does this hurt the team? how does giving rodgers another year to prepare hurt his progress? we are going to lose 3+ games in rodgers first year due to his inexperience alone. lets put that off as long as we can. we're not talking about kurt warner or vinny testaverde here. were talking about a hall of famer who had one of his best seasons last year who got us to within one pass of the superbowl and who was an mvp candidate. Not to mention, he is a hero to many.

Yes, he changes his mind too often. Like me, he's a libra, what do you expect. They are the most indecisive people out there. The most dissapointing thing about him retiring in March was that there was no who's to say Brett beats out Aaron this year in training camp?farewell tour like most of the other greats had. He needs a farewell tour and then it is finished and A-Rod can take over.

Its really ridiculous to see some people on here act like Favre is doing unspeakable damage to the franchise by coming back. It does not effect our salary cap at all. We're way under the cap and do not need the money this year any way, probably not next either. Also, what better way to spend our cap money than on a HOF QB who knows our offense?

Everyone is so concerned about A-Rod's feelings. Who cares. What has he earned? What does he deserve? Other than telling his "fans" to "shut up and get on board"(which favre has never done), what had A-Rod done? He hasnt played a full game without getting injured or winning a game. Yes, he played well vs a Cowboys team that was killing the packers and had set themselves on cruise control, had not gameplanned for A-Rod or expected to see him. This performance is a huge reason people are so willing to put Favre out to pasture and move one with A-Rod. You people are dreaming. 90% chance A-rod will lead us to a 6-10 or 7-9 season at best and will struggle mightily as all first year qb's do.

Ben Rothlisberger went 10-1 early in his first year...and that was with a lesser team..

The diff here is that McCarthy and Thompson see what they have in their successor Rodgers. T.T wants Aaron as his centerpiece for his stamp on the packers.. He wants HIS team. Rightfully so. He's the GM.

Brett is from the old regime and just continues to win.

So that's the rough part.

You think Aaron waiting ANOTHER year won't hurt his development?

And who's to say Brett beats out Aaron this year in training camp?
By ALL reports..Aaron's the commander of the team now. He's really
stepped up and everyone's raving about it.

His passes are crisp/accurate and his command of the offense is there.

I say BRING BRETT ON board...

and SEE him NOT win his job back. You guys are thinking he's going to
get it back solely on last year.

Each year is a new year guys. And as you all said it's a "WIN NOW" league.

Aaron Rodgers this year is not Aaron Rodgers of the Dallas game or before.

This is the Aaron Rodgers that I see, that Ted. Thompson sees and that Mike McCarthy has seen. This is also the Rodgers that Brett has NOT seen yet.

It's not good ole "I'll wait behind you forever and I'm your fan" Aaron anymore.

The young lion is staking his claim..and I welcome the old "champion" come try and come back and take it.

Make it an OPEN competition...

Let's see where the chips fall...

Who's to say Brett beats out Aaron this year in training camp? Yes, Aaron has played well in PRACTICE. Everyone is really raving about their non contact drills. Grow up. Thats no reason to start him over an MVP runner up from last year. The guy is on the cover of Madden. He is a first ballot HOFer. He's a fkn legend. Are you kidding me? Stop watching replays of old CAL games late at night. There were 2 quarterbacks better than Favre last year. Are you saying that after 59 passes A-Rod is a top 3 QB in the NFL? I thought not. Try again

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
johnny_blood said:
Brett "rolled out of bed" last year and outplayed everyone except Brady.

I don't care if Rodgers and McCarthy are sharing a bunk bed at Lambeau, this argument about offseason prowess isn't going to convince anyone but CAL2GREENBAY.

That was good. Give us a curtain call please :)

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Cal2GreenBay said:
johnny_blood said:
Brett "rolled out of bed" last year and outplayed everyone except Brady.

I don't care if Rodgers and McCarthy are sharing a bunk bed at Lambeau, this argument about offseason prowess isn't going to convince anyone but Aaron's dad.

He didn't roll out of bed last year.
Brett was DRAGGED out of bed wondering if he's gonna play or not...
Wondering if he's gonna have the 'motivation' etc..
and had to be ego stroked and coaxed into it...

AND he had to prepare like crazy w/core training etc...

So he had to bust his *** to keep his SPOT.

He outplayed everyone but Brady???

He outplayed both Mannings? umm...okay..

BRETT hasn't done squat like last year to keep himself in tip top shape.
So while Aaron's been RUNNING THE TEAM...Brett's been loafing around.

All I'm saying is that Brett's gonna have to TAKE the job from Aaron this time around. He's no longer keeping the seat warm.

And just because Brett played well last year doesn't mean he his head and shoulders better this year.

ALSO this "Aaron hasn't played a down yet" is not true. He played
in a regular season game. Phillip Rivers didn't play a DOWN for 2 years
and they still believed he should start.

It's not infallible for the Packers brass to have seen ENOUGH in Aaron to want him be the GUY from now on.

It's Natural. The old lion is not going to give up his spot easily and the young lion is not going to let him have it w/out a fight now.

Also Aaron's Dad's name is ED RODGERS...

not Cal2GreenBay..(my name's Mike)...
and last name's not Rodgers...

One, I didn't know you had a security camera inside the Favre's residence and you know that Favre hasn't done "squat". How do you know he hasn't been working out like any other season?

Two, you honestly believe that Favre wasn't one of the best QB's in the league last year? 4000 yards, 28 TD's? Your reply makes it sound like you don't evne think Favre was that impressive last year.

Three, Rodgers hasn't started a game, relax. "He had to bust his *** to keep his SPOT". HOW do you know that? Based on WHAT? I never read a single thing last year saying that Favre and Rodgers were competing and Rodgers evne had a CHANCE to take the job of Favre.

Your comments are not even supported by links or some kind of source. Your clearly related to Rodgers some how or roomed with him in college or something.

Like some people's comments that they see the potential is Rodgers, etc. Fine, everyone has an opinion. But to talk down to Favre based on no actual support, uncalled for.

cURTAIN CALL PLS

de_real_deal

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Who is to say that favre coming back would be detrimental to the team?
Who is to say that if favre comes back, Rodgers is gone?
Who is to say that if Rodgers leaves, anyone wants him? they didn't in the draft.
Who's to say the Packers want him back but are not sure how to handle it so at the moment..."no comment", is the way to go?
Who's to say thay are trying to ink Rodgers to a long term deal with the provision that he will sit the next year or two, again?

Who is to say that if you believe the best for the Packers (right or wrong) is to have favre at the helm, makes you a favre-firster?

Who's to say Cheesy is intellegent with his 125 IQ? :shock:

Has a never ever starting QB ever beat out a 17 year veteran coming off a year like Favre?

And Cal2, please stop with the "Have you seen him in practice?" routine. As Mr. Pickles would so elequently reply, "Embarrassing!"

I am a Packers firster. That being said, I think TT and MM KNOW that Favre brings the best chance to "win now". However, I feel they are looking long term and are willing to give up on success (SB) this year for hopefully, a very good long term.

That is the dilemma they face.

I salute you sir

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts