Peter King on Aaron Rodgers

Vince_Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
"He's with a coach that doesn't force things down his throat"?

Interesting quote.

Could he possibly be referring to Sherman and Rossley?

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That echoed something that Favre told me late last season. "Aaron's a great kid, and he's ready to play,'' Favre said. "I don't know if I would have said that a year ago. But the way the other guys [on offense] look at him is just different now. They believe he can win. He's won 'em over.''

that is a very interesting quote....

OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That echoed something that Favre told me late last season. "Aaron's a great kid, and he's ready to play,'' Favre said. "I don't know if I would have said that a year ago. But the way the other guys [on offense] look at him is just different now. They believe he can win. He's won 'em over.''

Yes, that's the quote that really stood out for me in this article. It would've been even more interesting if it had come out when King first got it. Maybe he withheld the quote because he didn't want to cause a stir. It does make me feel better about Rodgers, knowing that Favre said that about him.

To answer Vince_Favre's question, I don't think Peter King was referring to Sherman and Rossley with that quote. He's a national journalist, so he probably is not looking at things in such specific terms. He's just complimenting McCarthy.

Fan4Life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince_Favre said:

Interesting quote.

Yes, it does. Sherman's system left little room for the QB to change the play at the LOS (ie, audible out of plays that he could see weren't going to work.) The QB was there primarily to deliver the ball. MMs schemes give the QB more options to change the play; he actually runs the offense.

King and Favre go waaaay back. PK knew that toward the end, BF was so frustrated with TRs offense that he was ready to retire. Of course TT fired Sherman and hired MM, who begged Favre to come back for another year. BF really enjoyed working with MM. Who knows how far they could have gone, had they gotten together earlier in BFs career. They almost got the the SB, with a less-than-dominating defense and very young offense, for cripes sake.

Cal2GreenBay

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Vince_Favre said:

Interesting quote.

Yes, it does. Sherman's system left little room for the QB to change the play at the LOS (ie, audible out of plays that he could see weren't going to work.) The QB was there primarily to deliver the ball. MMs schemes give the QB more options to change the play; he actually runs the offense.

King and Favre go waaaay back. PK knew that toward the end, BF was so frustrated with TRs offense that he was ready to retire. Of course TT fired Sherman and hired MM, who begged Favre to come back for another year. BF really enjoyed working with MM. Who knows how far they could have gone, had they gotten together earlier in BFs career. They almost got the the SB, with a less-than-dominating defense and very young offense, for cripes sake.

Less than dominating defense and young offense...sounds Familiar right now...hehe

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
OP
OP
G

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zombieslayer said:
Cal2GreenBay said:
Less than dominating defense and young offense...sounds Familiar right now...hehe

We had the #6 D last year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

According to NFL.com, we had the 11th rated Defense. I was never quite sure what the # 6 defense stat was about. Maybe points against or something? But definitely not overall.

11th in yards allowed, 6th in points allowed. I am one of those who thinks points allowed is a more important statistic, because the outcomes of games are based on points. Yards are also important because they contribute to field position for the offense as well as time of possession. You can look at it either way.

The Packer defense was not "dominating" last year, but neither was anybody else's. I would say that it was one of the better defenses in the league.

I've never quite bought into the theory that Favre almost retired because he hated Sherman and Rossley's offense so much. Favre had a lot of good years in that offense. During the Sherman era, the defense was always the main problem.

DoddPower

Nick Perry is watching you, NFL QB's!
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
Zombieslayer said:
Cal2GreenBay said:

We had the #6 D last year.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categoryst...OTAL_YARDS_GAME_AVG&d-447263-o=1&d-447263-n=1

According to NFL.com, we had the 11th rated Defense. I was never quite sure what the # 6 defense stat was about. Maybe points against or something? But definitely not overall.

11th in yards allowed, 6th in points allowed. I am one of those who thinks points allowed is a more important statistic, because the outcomes of games are based on points. Yards are also important because they contribute to field position for the offense as well as time of possession. You can look at it either way.

The Packer defense was not "dominating" last year, but neither was anybody else's. I would say that it was one of the better defenses in the league.

I've never quite bought into the theory that Favre almost retired because he hated Sherman and Rossley's offense so much. Favre had a lot of good years in that offense. During the Sherman era, the defense was always the main problem.

Fair enough. But we were tied with Seattle for the 6th spot in that category.

I love our defense but I can't help but feel it's a bit over-rated. What do you mean no defense was dominating?? The Giants defense was really dominating for a good part of the season and especially in the playoff's when it mattered the most. That's exactly why they won as well.

The defense still needs some improvement and several key players are getting up there in age. I'm not worried though, i'm sure Thompson will take care of everything.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Again old old post.

But rodgers just said almost same thing about love

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts