Perhaps a more suiting heir to Favre?

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Don't get me wrong, I like Aaron Rodgers and hope he pans out. But, this kid Sam Keller from Arizona State is starting to make a name for himself. Check out this quote:

In regards to his Sun Bowl performance last season:
In the course of throwing for 365 yards and four touchdowns against Oregon State, Keller took a couple of big licks from the Beavers. Once, he waved off a referee coming to his aid. Another time, as he dusted himself off, he had a message for the defender.

"He said, 'I want you to hit me again,'" Hagan [ASU RB] recalled.

"My style is to have a little swagger," Keller said. "First and foremost, I value being humble. I wouldn't say I am cocky."

Remind you of anyone?

Edit: absolutely no disrespect to Favre, if it were up to me he'd never retire.

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't mean to be so immature, but whoever wrote that article, needs to be a little more mindful of the words they choose (note the first sentence). 8)

Anywho, yes, I'm intrigued by that attitude, but Rodgers has a bit of a swagger as well (although he also has some catching up to do).

OP
OP
L

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
musccy said:
I don't mean to be so immature, but whoever wrote that article, needs to be a little more mindful of the words they choose (note the first sentence). 8)
LOL, that's awesome! I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. He probably wouldn't have argued if he was the one "handing out the punishment" ;)

musccy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
musccy said:
LOL, that's awesome! I didn't even notice that until you mentioned it. He probably wouldn't have argued if he was the one "handing out the punishment" ;)

hahaha...

It would appear they have a pretty good d...so I guess you've got to give a couple of thumbs up to the beavers

PackerChick

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
Don't get me wrong, I like Aaron Rodgers and hope he pans out. But, this kid Sam Keller from Arizona State is starting to make a name for himself. Check out this quote:

In regards to his Sun Bowl performance last season:
In the course of throwing for 365 yards and four touchdowns against Oregon State, Keller took a couple of big licks from the Beavers. Once, he waved off a referee coming to his aid. Another time, as he dusted himself off, he had a message for the defender.

"He said, 'I want you to hit me again,'" Hagan [ASU RB] recalled.

"My style is to have a little swagger," Keller said. "First and foremost, I value being humble. I wouldn't say I am cocky."

Remind you of anyone?

Edit: absolutely no disrespect to Favre, if it were up to me he'd never retire.

This kid sounds good.

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
he is good. I go to Arizona State University so i've had the pleasure of watching him this year as well as in the Sun Bowl last year. I think he has good mechanics and he's not scared to step into the pocket, deliver the pass and take the hit if needed. The game this week vs USC will be a real test for him. I believe he's only a Junior this year but don't quote me on it.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LL...intriguing but I'll show my bias and throw another name out there...Brady Quinn from ND. Charlie Weiss will make this kid ready for the NFL and a millionaire in two years. He is a junior now. Has the size, arm strength and is tough as nails.

Core

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I agree that hopefully Rogers will become just half the man Favre is. However, I just dont see it coming and now we'r stuck with Rogers. My only hope is that Favre will take a few more seasons and that we will draft a new qb and get rid of rogers. I know its not going to happen, but you got to have hope, right?

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What's with all this animosity toward Rodgers?? He hasn't really worked into showing us anything yet and some are ready to write him off??

Rodgers has skills, talent and size to be a good QB. He looked tenative in preseason just like any other rookie QB. Heck, in Favre's first couple of years he basically focused on getting the ball to Sharpe and rarely looked at the 2nd option.

All I'm saying is that we've invested a #1 pick in a good QB prospect. Now it's time to sit back and watch him develop behind Favre. When Favre hangs 'em up, then we'll see if Rodgers has what it takes. He does have a reputation for high completion percentage, big results and few turnovers. Maybe having a QB who doesn't throw 3 INTs/game won't be a bad thing...

Core

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For me its all about leadership, abilities and the toughness we have grown used to. Rogers may have the abilities of a great qb, but nothing i've seen or heard from him have shown any of the other qualities. I'll take a cocky, strong armed, tough qb over Rogers any day. Even if it means he'll make some bad throws along the way

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
What's with all this animosity toward Rodgers?? He hasn't really worked into showing us anything yet and some are ready to write him off??

and to think we are called the 'greatest fans' ... makes u wonder about the rest of the fan base huh

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bobby Roberts said:
All I'm saying is that we've invested a #1 pick in a good QB prospect. Now it's time to sit back and watch him develop behind Favre. When Favre hangs 'em up, then we'll see if Rodgers has what it takes.

thank you very much Bobby...and I just highlited your quote so everyone gets a gander at it in case they missed it first time by, because you're right on, i dont want to hear anymore QB of the future talk for a while...

OP
OP
L

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Speaking of missing things the first time by, reread the very first line of my original post. It says "Don't get me wrong, I like Aaron Rodgers and hope he pans out."

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
Speaking of missing things the first time by, reread the very first line of my original post. It says "Don't get me wrong, I like Aaron Rodgers and hope he pans out."

but who knows when he will get a chance to pan out, maybe #4 will be back next year

OP
OP
L

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
And people said Jake Plummer was Favre-like too when he first came into the league...
Nah, they compared him to Montana. I'm not saying Sam Keller is Favre-like, or saying he's "the next Favre". I'm merely saying that I like his attitude and his grit reminds me of Favre a little bit.

Cheesehog

Cheesehead
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
rabidgopher04 said:
And people said Jake Plummer was Favre-like too when he first came into the league...
Nah, they compared him to Montana. I'm not saying Sam Keller is Favre-like, or saying he's "the next Favre". I'm merely saying that I like his attitude and his grit reminds me of Favre a little bit.
This reminds me of a few years ago at the Chicago Bears Training camp.
I was standing at the entrance to the practice feild right outside the locker rooms. Rex (Wrecks)Grossman was late signing with the team and his first venture out to the feild, I welcomed him to the NFL and asked to ask him a question. Unbeknown to him, the first fan he meets is a Packers fan.(I was ingognito, no Packer clothes on) Maybe I jinxed his career!

Any way it goes like this:

ME: "Is their any quarterback currently playing in the NFL that most represents you style of play?"

Rex Glassman(cocky): "Nah, I would say that I have my own style
ME: A lot of the scouts compared compared you to Brett Favre before the draft."

Train Rex:" Yeah....well if I compared myself to anybody it might as well be him"

ME: (Rex not knowing I'm a Packers fan) "Well you got got some pretty big shoes to fill son!"

Hex Grossman: (gives me a sneering bad look, puts his helmet on and runs out to practice looking back once)

ME: (Laughing):lol:

So much for pre draft comparisions

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Keller threw like 4 interceptions that game, maybe a little too much favre like...lol

tought game against USC tho, i still like Keller a lot

OP
OP
L

LambeauLeaper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
What does 'heir' mean then because I am now confused.

Well, there are 3 main definitions to the noun "heir', this being the closest to the context we are speaking of:

A person who succeeds or is in line to succeed to a hereditary rank, title, or office.

When I entitled this thread "Perhaps a more suiting heir to Favre?" I simply meant THE GUY THAT PLAYS QUARTERBACK FOR THE GREEN BAY PACKERS AFTER BRETT RETIRES. Jesus, people - it was a hypothetical and only meant to say "Hey, this Sam Keller kid is intriguing. Nothing more, nothing less.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I've noticed negative feelings toward Rodgers on other forums, too. I still haven't figured out why there are so many. For some, I guess, it's because they feel NO ONE could EVER replace Favre. Maybe. Yet Rodgers was highly thought of before the draft...it was reported that in the final analysis the reason the 49ers took Smith instead was because he is 2" taller. THe 2 QBs were THAT close. Frankly, I was glad the Pack got the chance to pick Rodgers. When he is allowed to get his feet wet, he WILL make mistakes but I doubt he makes as many as Favre did early on...maybe some of us have forgotten. He WILL be good, IMHO.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
LambeauLeaper said:
Zero2Cool said:
What does 'heir' mean then because I am now confused.

Well, there are 3 main definitions to the noun "heir', this being the closest to the context we are speaking of:

A person who succeeds or is in line to succeed to a hereditary rank, title, or office.

When I entitled this thread "Perhaps a more suiting heir to Favre?" I simply meant THE GUY THAT PLAYS QUARTERBACK FOR THE GREEN BAY PACKERS AFTER BRETT RETIRES. Jesus, people - it was a hypothetical and only meant to say "Hey, this Sam Keller kid is intriguing. Nothing more, nothing less.

Hrmm, say what you mean next time?? [marq=right]:p [/marq]

Members online

Latest posts