Pats running up the score.

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is everyones take on how NE is going for 4th and 2 at the end of a blowout to score a touchdown instead of just taking the FG?

My Opinion: They are actually giving the other team a chance to stop them, instead of piling on the 3 points. I am not a NE fan, but I dont hate them either. I dont mind the piling on. These are paid professionals. If the other team cant stop them, then stick it to 'em. If it was my 6 year olds flag football team, that is another story. Also, isn't one of the tie breakers for playoffs points scored? Unless the wheels fall off, that wont come into play, but there is still a slight chance that it will. If I was a Buffalo fan at last weeks game, I wouldn't want to watch Brady and Moss's backups for the second half. If my team cant stop them, then I want to watch some good football, which is what NE is playing.

I guess that I like to see what NE is doing, because if they keep it up, it will be history. Now, if I was a NE fan, I might think differently. All it will take is one injury during a blow out, and Beli**** will be a goat.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
I originally thought it was being disrespectful, but last night I heard something that changed my mind.

Which is more disrespectful?

Team scoring as many points as possible, or players on a team looking for their pay check knowing they couldnt do their jobs?

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see it as showboating in some cases. I don't mind if they do it, but i see it as a "reason" for some guy down the line to maybe take a cheap shot at Brady or one of their other "stars". If you try to embarrass the other team (which is what i see it as) you better be expecting someone to take offense to it, and maybe do something to retaliate. Just so you know, I'm NOT condoning that type of action, but it wouldn't surprise me if it happened.
I DO understand they have to keep playing till the game is over, but there IS such a thing as sportsmanship. Now, their coach is a cheating worthless piece of crap. I have NO respect for him. So i would expect nothing less then unsportsmanlike conduct from him.
He SHOULD have been banned from the NFL for life for the video taping scandal. NOT just some stupid slap on the hands. "Naughty naughty Billy........(wink wink)"
All their games up to that point in the season (when they were caught) should have been given to their opponents as wins, and the coach gone forever. Just my opinion of course.

IronMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't have a problem with it at all. What are they supposed to do? Try NOT to score? If the defense cant stop them then thats their problem. Like 4th said, going for it on 4th down, they are giving the other team a chance to get the ball back. I dislike Belichick more than anyone. But this isnt pee wee football. You get paid to play 60 minutes, not 45.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't think running up the score should be an issue in professional sports. College, high school, and lower is a different story.

Also, when the Patriots have gone for it on fourth down, the times I can remember were not goal line situations. So by getting a first down they could continue to run down the clock, which is more valuable than three points when a team is up by four or five touchdowns, plus there's no risk of a field goal being blocked and run back for a TD.

And if some of them WERE goal line situations...so what. If they fail to make it, the other team is having to throw the ball out of its own end zone, instead of a kickoff that could potentially be returned well beyond the 20 yard line and maybe even much farther than that. It's sound strategy, as far as I'm concerned.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like i said........i don't care one bit if they do it..........they just should expect someone down the line to take offense to it.
Sooner or later it will backfire on them. In some way or another.

OP
OP

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Like i said........i don't care one bit if they do it..........they just should expect someone down the line to take offense to it.

It would have to be a Divisional opponent that gets 'revenge' on them, because they are the only ones that would play the Pats twice. The other 10 games on the schedule are teams that only play them once in this year.

You could be right about it, but in this day, I think that the majority of players take their paycheck and don't care all that much about what happens on the field. I always look at the teams as the clock runs out, shaking hands. I am not sure how the O and D lines can battle each other for 4 quarters and then shake hands.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
cheesey said:

It would have to be a Divisional opponent that gets 'revenge' on them, because they are the only ones that would play the Pats twice. The other 10 games on the schedule are teams that only play them once in this year.

You could be right about it, but in this day, I think that the majority of players take their paycheck and don't care all that much about what happens on the field. I always look at the teams as the clock runs out, shaking hands. I am not sure how the O and D lines can battle each other for 4 quarters and then shake hands.
Yeah..........thats true. I think some don't really seem to care. The money is it. I think other teams might take their "revenge" even though they don't play them a second time. If I was playing them next week, and i was a dirty player (like that guy on the Lions that cheap shotted Kampy) i could see a try to cripple Brady BEFORE he gets a chance to run it up on us.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My take is Belichick is a ****head.

The "if you don't like us scoring, stop us" line is cute and all, but when it's obvious a defense can't stop you no matter what, and you're up 45, what are they supposed to do? What are you ASKING them to do, Bill? Cheap shot Brady? Facemask Moss so bad he has to have neck surgery? Think it through, *******. Karma is a *****. You and your team will pay for it sooner or later.

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always look at the teams as the clock runs out, shaking hands. I am not sure how the O and D lines can battle each other for 4 quarters and then shake hands.

I think it's great that they shake hands after the game. It's called good sportsmanship.

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score

The only way it's going to backfire on them is if their D can't stop another team's O. I'm no big fan but I tend to think they'd take it with every degree of humility.

OP
OP

4thand26

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Greg C. said:
I always look at the teams as the clock runs out, shaking hands. I am not sure how the O and D lines can battle each other for 4 quarters and then shake hands.

I think it's great that they shake hands after the game. It's called good sportsmanship.

Oh.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What is everyones take on how NE is going for 4th and 2 at the end of a blowout to score a touchdown instead of just taking the FG?

My Opinion: They are actually giving the other team a chance to stop them, instead of piling on the 3 points. I am not a NE fan, but I dont hate them either. I dont mind the piling on. These are paid professionals. If the other team cant stop them, then stick it to 'em. If it was my 6 year olds flag football team, that is another story. Also, isn't one of the tie breakers for playoffs points scored? Unless the wheels fall off, that wont come into play, but there is still a slight chance that it will. If I was a Buffalo fan at last weeks game, I wouldn't want to watch Brady and Moss's backups for the second half. If my team cant stop them, then I want to watch some good football, which is what NE is playing.

I guess that I like to see what NE is doing, because if they keep it up, it will be history. Now, if I was a NE fan, I might think differently. All it will take is one injury during a blow out, and Beli**** will be a goat.

My opinion - when you're up by 21 points in the 4th quarter, you take out players you can't afford to lose. Imagine this - Pats up by 21 with 2 minutes left. They go for a 4th down. Very next play, their LT misses his block and the DE blindsides Brady and breaks his leg. It wasn't even intentional either, the DE was just doing his job.

So, now where do you go if your the Pats?

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
My opinion - when you're up by 21 points in the 4th quarter, you take out players you can't afford to lose. Imagine this - Pats up by 21 with 2 minutes left. They go for a 4th down. Very next play, their LT misses his block and the DE blindsides Brady and breaks his leg. It wasn't even intentional either, the DE was just doing his job.

So, now where do you go if your the Pats?

You sit in joy as Billy Boy goes off because the other guys stopped them for the season... I think it is a classless unsportsman like move to go for it on fourth down... professional sports or not, it is a display of unsportsmanship that kids especially see during the game.

I truly hope someone takes that Humble pie and force feeds it down Billy Boys throat.

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad to see that others in this thread see what i was getting at. The chance of Brady getting hurt because of their coach's ego problem get higher each week. One of these days, "karma", or whatever you want to call it, will catch up to them.
I really don't care if they run it up 100 points on every team. The only way we will face them is the SB. If that happens, THEN I'll worry about it.

Members online

Latest posts