Packers Will Wait Before Retiring #4

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ready whenever it happens. I'm over it. The way I felt about him from 2008-2010 isn't the way I feel about him now, and it certainly doesn't change the way I felt about him from 1994-2007. My first sports hero. Maybe my only sports hero. All his ******** aside, I loved him and I'm ready to love him again.

Pack15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't blame him for wanting to play. However, how he has handled himself after retirement makes me dislike him. He wasn't in Dallas to cheer on his former team in the superbowl, not to mention he didn't even congratulate Rodgers on the victor. All he said was Rodgers should have won it sooner! It's like he wants to forget about being a Packer. How can we honor a man that doesn't even want to come back to Green Bay? Not cool.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Although he obviously belongs in the Packers HOF and the Pro Football HOF, I don’t think Favre’s number should be retired by the Packers because he betrayed the team. The Packers have retired the numbers of Don Hutson, Tony Canadeo, Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke, and Reggie White. IMO Favre does not belong in that group. Excluding coaches Lambeau and Lombardi, the Packers have 19 players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, that’s the highest honor he has coming to him IMO.

I won’t repeat them here since I detailed the reasons I feel this way here: http://www.packerforum.com/threads/retiring-favres-4.22286/page-3#post-301963 BTW, the thread this post appeared in is titled, “Retiring Favre’s #4”.

D

Dan115

Although he obviously belongs in the Packers HOF and the Pro Football HOF, I don’t think Favre’s number should be retired by the Packers because he betrayed the team. The Packers have retired the numbers of Don Hutson, Tony Canadeo, Bart Starr, Ray Nitschke, and Reggie White. IMO Favre does not belong in that group. Excluding coaches Lambeau and Lombardi, the Packers have 19 players in the Pro Football Hall of Fame, that’s the highest honor he has coming to him IMO.

I won’t repeat them here since I detailed the reasons I feel this way here: http://www.packerforum.com/threads/retiring-favres-4.22286/page-3#post-301963 BTW, the thread this post appeared in is titled, “Retiring Favre’s #4”.

I understand your feeling however I am sure The Packers will retire his # someday. IMO it will be when Favre is ready.

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I don't blame him for wanting to play. However, how he has handled himself after retirement makes me dislike him. He wasn't in Dallas to cheer on his former team in the superbowl, not to mention he didn't even congratulate Rodgers on the victor.

In all fairness, he was still technically a Viking at the time.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
He wasn't in Dallas to cheer on his former team in the superbowl, not to mention he didn't even congratulate Rodgers on the victor. .

So you know for a fact Brett didnt call Rodgers? How about Driver? or MM?

Would you be surprised to know he did?

Pack15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So you know for a fact Brett didnt call Rodgers? How about Driver? or MM?

Would you be surprised to know he did?

Rodger said it himself that he hasn't talked to Favre since he left, and that Favre never congratulated him. Watch the E:60 special on Rodgers. If Favre had congratulated Rodgers that would have been respectable and I honestly wouldn't dislike him so much right now. The fact that he hasn't contact Rodgers with a congrats really just shows that he is selfish.

The thing I'm really getting at is that if/when we retire Favre’s number, if Favre hasn't had any contact with the Packer organization since he left town, that would be very sad. Sure he has the stats to warrant his number being retired, but to me there's more to it than that, especially when it comes to being a Packer.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Rodger said it himself that he hasn't talked to Favre since he left, and that Favre never congratulated him. Watch the E:60 special on Rodgers. If Favre had congratulated Rodgers that would have been respectable and I honestly wouldn't dislike him so much right now. The fact that he hasn't contact Rodgers with a congrats really just shows that he is selfish.

The thing I'm really getting at is that if/when we retire Favre’s number, if Favre hasn't had any contact with the Packer organization since he left town, that would be very sad. Sure he has the stats to warrant his number being retired, but to me there's more to it than that, especially when it comes to being a Packer.

So if Favre did reach out to him, but Rodgers never returned the call, technically Rodgers could say he hasnt talked to Favre..Right?

Pack15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So if Favre did reach out to him, but Rodgers never returned the call, technically Rodgers could say he hasnt talked to Favre..Right?

Technically sure. But Rodgers is an honest man, and he would still be lying even if "technically" it was the truth. Here is a link to a shortened version of the E:60 interview with Rodgers.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with Packers management on this one; I think his number should be retired.
Despite how he acted and what he did at the end of his Packers tenure, what he contributed to the franchise outweighs that. In addition, it's important to keep in mind that this a business. It would be in the team's best interest economically to "welcome" him back at some point in the future.
It shouldn't be anytime soon, I agree with that part of the decision also. It would be darkly comical for Favre to be met with a chorus of boos (and some empty beer cups, maybe) as he's trotted out for that ceremony.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i think being met with silence would be even better...with 1 or 2 people clapping.

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have to agree with Packers management on this one; I think his number should be retired.
Despite how he acted and what he did at the end of his Packers tenure, what he contributed to the franchise outweighs that. In addition, it's important to keep in mind that this a business. It would be in the team's best interest economically to "welcome" him back at some point in the future.
It shouldn't be anytime soon, I agree with that part of the decision also. It would be darkly comical for Favre to be met with a chorus of boos (and some empty beer cups, maybe) as he's trotted out for that ceremony.

Oddly enough Bretts retirement will coincide with "Free Battery Day" sponsored by Rayovac

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Oddly enough Bretts retirement will coincide with "Free Battery Day" sponsored by Rayovac
If it were the Eagles and not the Packers, Favre would have to come out to the field in something like the Popemobile.

Rocky11

Superbowl bound Pack
Reaction score
OMG. I don't understand how BF can stir up so much emotion. This is sports, not life. Before I was banned on his web site I would read through the posts and have to laugh at how much those people loved him. I got into trouble for telling people to get it together and realize what they are investing their emotions in. I am a loyal Packer fan and have been since I was a kid. The fact is that if he didn't come to the Packers there is a good chance that we would be just as bad of a team as we were before he came. He brought something special to Green Bay. You can't deny it. Yes it was an ugly divorce but there are always two sides to every story. Bottom line? It would be plain wrong if he didn't get his number retired. If he holds it up because "the time is not right" for him then shame on him. If Green Bay don't do it shame on them.

Reaction score
OMG. I don't understand how BF can stir up so much emotion. This is sports, not life. Before I was banned on his web site I would read through the posts and have to laugh at how much those people loved him. I got into trouble for telling people to get it together and realize what they are investing their emotions in. I am a loyal Packer fan and have been since I was a kid. The fact is that if he didn't come to the Packers there is a good chance that we would be just as bad of a team as we were before he came. He brought something special to Green Bay. You can't deny it. Yes it was an ugly divorce but there are always two sides to every story. Bottom line? It would be plain wrong if he didn't get his number retired. If he holds it up because "the time is not right" for him then shame on him. If Green Bay don't do it shame on them.

Brunell/Hasselback/Rodgers/Flynn are some of the QBs we've developed since 1992... Plus Holmgren's coaching staff & Ron Wolf's scouting staff would've built a winning TEAM regardless... Favre became a special player, but Single Handedly made the team special? I think that honor belongs to Reggie White.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The fact is that if he didn't come to the Packers there is a good chance that we would be just as bad of a team as we were before he came. He brought something special to Green Bay. You can't deny it. Yes it was an ugly divorce but there are always two sides to every story. Bottom line? It would be plain wrong if he didn't get his number retired. If he holds it up because "the time is not right" for him then shame on him. If Green Bay don't do it shame on them.
The fact is the sentence you begin with “The fact is…” is pure opinion and speculation and contains no facts whatever. IMO there was almost no chance the Packers would have been as bad as they were in the “dark ages” after:

1) Harlan’s ascension to Packers' president and most importantly his decision to hand the power over all football operations to one man. As I've posted before, IMO he fixed the structure of the organization with that one move.

2) Wolf’s arrival and his acumen at evaluating and acquiring talent and his determination to change the “country club” atmosphere and legacy of losing he said he found while evaluating Infante’s last team in Green Bay.

3) The arrival of the hottest head-coaching candidate in Holmgren who was a terrific offensive coordinator and leader and who put together a “Who’s who” of assistant coaches. He also specialized in developing QBs.

It can be argued the acquisition of Reggie White was more important to the championship than Favre. The Packers had capable backups to Favre, but without Reggie, how many other UFAs would have come to Green Bay and who would have so ably handled the task of being the focus of every offense they faced and still produced as he did?

Some forget that Holmgren and his staff came very close to replacing Favre with Mark Brunell. IMO the Packers would have been a playoff team with Brunell at the helm and he certainly could have QB’d a title-winning team. The fact is we’ll never know but thinking one player was the difference between what Wolf initiated in Green Bay and the mediocrity that preceded it, is just silly in my opinion.

BTW, yes I realize they’ll retire #4; I just don’t believe they should. IMO it is a contradiction to have a traitor in the Ring of Honor.

Edit: Beat me to it, GeeDogWarrior.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
He'll be enshrined in the GBP HOF and the NFL HOF and in doing so, his name will appear on the ring of honor as it should, but, I wouldn't support his name being in the north endzone. It'll probably happen and frankly, my life will be unaffected by it so, hey... whatever.

slaughter25

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm ready whenever it happens. I'm over it. The way I felt about him from 2008-2010 isn't the way I feel about him now, and it certainly doesn't change the way I felt about him from 1994-2007. My first sports hero. Maybe my only sports hero. All his ******** aside, I loved him and I'm ready to love him again.

That sums it up for me too, and I think the same can be said for a lot of people who were young packer fans in the early 90's. I lived and died with Favre as a packer. Was crushed when he was a Jet and HATED him when he double crossed to the other side of the Mississippi. But now he is just some guy mowing his grass and living life, and I can finally let go the last few bitter memories of him in other jerseys.

OP
OP
gwh11

gwh11

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The fact is the sentence you begin with “The fact is…” is pure opinion and speculation and contains no facts whatever. IMO there was almost no chance the Packers would have been as bad as they were in the “dark ages” after:

1) Harlan’s ascension to Packers' president and most importantly his decision to hand the power over all football operations to one man. As I've posted before, IMO he fixed the structure of the organization with that one move.

2) Wolf’s arrival and his acumen at evaluating and acquiring talent and his determination to change the “country club” atmosphere and legacy of losing he said he found while evaluating Infante’s last team in Green Bay.

3) The arrival of the hottest head-coaching candidate in Holmgren who was a terrific offensive coordinator and leader and who put together a “Who’s who” of assistant coaches. He also specialized in developing QBs.

It can be argued the acquisition of Reggie White was more important to the championship than Favre. The Packers had capable backups to Favre, but without Reggie, how many other UFAs would have come to Green Bay and who would have so ably handled the task of being the focus of every offense they faced and still produced as he did?

Some forget that Holmgren and his staff came very close to replacing Favre with Mark Brunell. IMO the Packers would have been a playoff team with Brunell at the helm and he certainly could have QB’d a title-winning team. The fact is we’ll never know but thinking one player was the difference between what Wolf initiated in Green Bay and the mediocrity that preceded it, is just silly in my opinion.

BTW, yes I realize they’ll retire #4; I just don’t believe they should. IMO it is a contradiction to have a traitor in the Ring of Honor.

Edit: Beat me to it, GeeDogWarrior.
I think it's worth noting that Reggie White repeatedly stressed that one of the important factors that led him to signing with Green Bay was the presence of Favre. Would he have signed with a Favre-less Packers?

GreenBlood

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
It would be darkly comical for Favre to be met with a chorus of boos (and some empty beer cups, maybe) as he's trotted out for that ceremony.

I disagree. It would be a sad reflection on Packer fans as a whole as being immature, vindictive, petty and unforgiving. There's something to be said for being the better man, even as a fanbase.

D

Dan115

He'll be enshrined in the GBP HOF and the NFL HOF and in doing so, his name will appear on the ring of honor as it should, but, I wouldn't support his name being in the north endzone. It'll probably happen and frankly, my life will be unaffected by it so, hey... whatever.

I think he will be enshrined in the NFL HOF before the Packer HOF. I think that will be a first.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts