Packers Waive Joey Thomas

Ryan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah I wonder what that's all about. We need all the players we can get, make him move over to WR :) Probably some internal problems so they just decided to move on.

DeusNova

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He was awful for two years.

It also gives Hawkins some more playing time.

retiredgrampa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thompson may be sending a VERY LOUD message to the rest of the Packers, i.e. show some life or we'll declare you officially dead in Packerland. Sherman would never have done it. He would keep hoping that Joey would somehow, at some time, turn it around. TT will keep it interesting for a long time to come.

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If you can't beat out Carroll there is little hope for you.

Sherman has stated his being offended by lack of hustle by Thomas on more than a few occaisions.

This is not a roster move but a cleansing of the attitude. There is likely a rule infraction involved as there is no explanation given.

This move also lowers the numbers given in my GM Story Part I and increases the % of dead cap in 2006 (Part III) posts of yesterday.

He is not vested so he is not paid for the remainder of the year. The move decreases this year's cap room by about $8500 (very small) and next years by $180K.

The salary cap is always a moving target.

dhpackr

Cheesehead
Reaction score
is it me or is it becoming clearer and cleare that TT is taking control of this team and getting rid of sherman's exess bagage. IMHO, this will be sherman's last season as packer head coach. :lol:

digsthepack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thomas came out with a reputation as a hothead, sufficient to warrant a number of teams to take him off their draft board. This is a "message" type move and a ridding of a bad attitude. It is clear to me that TT will take no **** and mince no words as he re-tools this team and rids it of bad attitudes, non-performers and soft players. TT is a guy who went undrafted and had a decent 10 year career in the pros.....you do that with tenacity, focus and toughness. It is my inclination to believe we will see a lot more football players, such as Nick Collins, and a lot fewer athletes who happen to play football. Watch this team change from marshmallow soft to tough as nails in the next few years.

Message received, Ahmad Carroll?

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I read in the packersnews article that Thomas was steamed after being pulled after he fell down in the CINCY game...

Maybe he ran his mouth a little too much...

Does come as a shock to see him cut, at this point.

Yeah, I would like to see a little more from Hawkins though.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
i dont know if i like this move.

Thomas is better than Carroll (by default)! I like hawkins getting more time, but as long as carroll is out there, nothing is fixed yet. This does nothing except make the fight for #2 go from Carroll vs Thomas to Carroll vs Hawkins.

NDPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This move reminds me of Chris Akins when he got into it on the sidelines with Sherman and was out the next day...Thomas' mouth must have written a check that his body can't cash and TT told him to hit the road. I wish it would have worked out for Thomas because he will be alright in this league eventually.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
tromadz said:
i dont know if i like this move.

Thomas is better than Carroll (by default)! I like hawkins getting more time, but as long as carroll is out there, nothing is fixed yet. This does nothing except make the fight for #2 go from Carroll vs Thomas to Carroll vs Hawkins.

No. Carroll is by far better than Thomas and that is coming from someone who wanted to see Carrolls head on a post in favor of Thomas. I wanted thomas, I got him and he did WORSE! As hard as that is to imagine, he did. Not even Hawkins did better. The top two best CB we have are Harris and Carroll, suck it up and accept it and HOPE he gets ... good.

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I said the other week how I haven't seen a players stock rise and fall as much this season as Joey Thomas, but I didn't expect him to get cut this year.

One thing that sticks out in my mind, is after the Cleveland game Sherman said it was very telling when Thomas didn't chase down the receiver very ******* one of those 80 yard touchdown passes the defense gave up. I remember at the time being impressed with how fast Collins was, because Collins just shot by Thomas trying to chase down the receiver, but Sherman took it as Thomas loafing. I don't know if that was the start of Thomas' downfall, but I do remember Sherman being upset with Thomas' effort on that play.

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
WOW! Got home late and just heard. Sounds like it was his mouth and poor hustle and attitude.

I thought this guy was going to step it up this season.

TT is sending a message as stated by another poster.

ChuckSTG

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I wonder if this will lead to us drafting a CB in the early round this coming spring.

yourout

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The 2004 Draft is not looking to hot right now. I know its still early but I will be shocked if there is a pro bowler in the group.

Pack14

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pretty interesting news. I didn't see that coming. Hopefully sends a message. Shape up or your out of titletown.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why is it that all you guys assume that TT is sending a message....and that TT is cleaning house.....or TT is cleaning up Sherman's mess? It was Sherman's idea to cut him. It was Sherman that is sending the message. TT isn't even in town. Sherman called him and told him what he wanted to do and TT gave him the go ahead to do it.

In your rush to judgement and desire to run down Sherman....at least get your facts straight before burying the guy....otherwise you look like fools.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
MajicMan said:
I read in the packersnews article that Thomas was steamed after being pulled after he fell down in the CINCY game...

Maybe he ran his mouth a little too much...

Does come as a shock to see him cut, at this point.

Yeah, I would like to see a little more from Hawkins though.

It was on 96.5FM / Milwaukee - this morning, as I hit town... Apparently, Joey ran his mouth about Sherman in the Press - there's supposed to be a specific article (?? - Journal) -- where he made some out-of-line comment.. if he did, he deserves to be let go from any job..

He was mouthing how unhappy he was? Fine.... here's the door, pal....

ArizonaPackerFan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If any of the Packer players were thinking of loafing the rest of the season because of their losing record, I hope the cutting of Thomas wakes them up to the fact that they better still be giving 100% effort.

I've actually been pleased with their effort the last few games, but I keep wondering if there will ever come a point where some players start tanking it because they don't see much hope for the season. I seen some Cardinals teams do that over the years, and it's not pretty when it happens. Hopefully it won't happen to the Packers.

paxvogel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
thomas was getting worse while Carroll is getting better. Carroll has never given any indication he is a troublemaker while Thomas has. So hard to predict, look at the disaster Pacman Jones has been in Atlanta. Shannon Sharpe had nothing good to say about him on the NFL channel.