OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
COMPARABLE PACKER NATION POLL

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22530996/

Comparable Packer nation poll {bigger sample, 1600 votes, size}:

Who will win the Seahawks-Packers playoff game?

Green Bay 66%

Seattle 34%

Note: Borishly amazingly, [normal to hype media ratings] the Seapukes are getting a lot of national media sports press, especially about Q Hasselback's immortal words followed by writeups about "maybe this time" that they got a chance to beat the rested Packers at home. :rotflmao: :rotflmao: "Walrus" Holmgren and the Seapukes are coming into town throwing around nostalgic comments while they hope to win badly against St. Favre and the Pack. Sickening, isn't it? It's gonna be a great day for football on a cold winter's day at Lambeau.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
Preview thread...

A another take...

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL+Zone/Game+Previews/2007/week19.htm

Seattle at Green Bay - Jan. 12, 2008 at 4:30 p.m.

At a glance: This matchup pits some familiar foes, as Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren and QB Matt Hasselbeck used to call Green Bay home. The Packers have won three of the past four meetings, including an overtime shootout in the 2003 playoffs.

Overview: The Packers were one of the pleasant surprises of the 2007 season, entering the playoffs fresh off a 13-3 regular season that saw them rank second in the league offensively and 11th defensively.

With Brett Favre at the helm, the Packers are very tough to beat at Lambeau, having won nine of their last 10 home games, but it’s worth noting they have come out on the losing end of two of their last three playoff games at home.

The emergence of RB Ryan Grant has created some much-needed offensive balance to go with a stellar bounce-back season for Favre.

The Seahawks, champions of the NFC West, didn’t panic last week when the Redskins took a 14-13 lead in the fourth quarter of their wild-card matchup. That composure, and some questionable decisions by Redskins QB Todd Collins, led to a flurry of points late, as the Seahawks cruised to a 35-14 win.

This showdown in Green Bay will mean a little more to Seahawks head coach Mike Holmgren and QB Matt Hasselbeck, as both used to be employed in Green Bay. Hasselbeck will surely hear some kidding this week, as he is remembered for having made the claim (which was picked up on the referee’s microphone) that the Seahawks were going to score upon winning the coin flip at the start of overtime when these two teams met in the wild-card round on Jan. 4, 2004. On Seattle’s first drive, Hasselbeck threw an interception that was returned for a touchdown by CB Al Harris, thus sealing the Seahawks’ fate in a 33-27 loss.

When the Seahawks have the ball: The Seahawks, especially if the weather is rough in northeastern Wisconsin, will be pressed to find some semblance of a running game. Everyone knows Hasselbeck and crew can move the ball through the air, but keeping a good, young Packers defense honest will be key. The Seahawks’ two best rushing performances of 2007 came in the final two regular-season games. The versatile Maurice Morris, who provided a spark off the bench when Shaun Alexander was sidelined from Weeks 10-12, rushed for 273 yards and two touchdowns on 62 carries in those three games, but he curiously was given only four carries in the win over Washington last week. Alexander remains the No. 1 option, but Morris’ shiftiness could give Green Bay trouble.

If Deion Branch returns from a calf injury, Seattle will have its top four wideouts — an impressive group that includes Bobby Engram, D.J. Hackett and Nate Burleson — available and healthy for one of the few times all season. Their presence allows the Seahawks to spread the field and use a lot of personnel groupings in operating their no-huddle attack. Green Bay’s secondary is led by the physical, veteran CB tandem of Charles Woodson and Harris, but there is a significant drop-off with depth beyond them and at safety.

MLB Nick Barnett and WLB A.J. Hawk had solid years and track the ball well, but SLB Brady Poppinga can be a liability in coverage against tight ends and backs. DE Aaron Kampman and DT Ryan Pickett lead a deep defensive line for the Packers.

When the Packers have the ball: With the way he has bounced back from consecutive subpar seasons, Favre has gotten a lot of praise in throwing for 4,155 yards and 28 TD passes. And the way he has shed his gunslinger approach and done a better job of taking what defenses give him is perhaps the most impressive part of his resurgence. That’s not to say he doesn’t remain a dangerous downfield passer, however, as there is plenty of big-play potential with a receiving corps that has gone from raw and inconsistent to polished and explosive in a year’s time.

Although Pro Bowler Donald Driver remains Favre’s favorite target, especially on third down, it has been speedy WR Greg Jennings who has emerged as a major force in just his second year. He averaged 17.4 yards per catch in ’07 and hauled in 12 touchdowns. TE Donald Lee also came on as a legitimate threat in the passing game. He has soft hands and runs well for his size.

Grant had to wait for DeShawn Wynn, Brandon Jackson and Vernand Morency to fail at the RB position before he got his first serious opportunity in Week Eight, and he never looked back, rushing for 956 yards in 10 starts. Grant is an excellent downhill runner whose one-cut-and-go style is an ideal fit for the Packers’ zone-blocking scheme. He keeps his legs moving on contact and has the speed to go the distance if he gets a crease.

Veteran OTs Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher are solid, but OLG Jason Spitz is nursing a quad injury and is questionable for this game. The OG spots were already considered a weak link, and now Green Bay could be forced to reshuffle the deck a bit up front.

The Seahawks lost their top two defensive tackles (Marcus Tubbs and Chuck Darby) to injury in 2007, but they have survived against the run, thanks to the play of Rocky Bernard and rookie Brandon Mebane, who have done a good job of holding the point of attack to free up a playmaking LB corps.

Expect the Packers to keep an extra blocker in against Seahawks DE Patrick Kerney, who, along with versatile OLB Julian Peterson, was credited with four QB hurries against the Redskins.

With better safety play in Seattle, CB Marcus Trufant has been given more freedom to make plays on the ball this season, and Jordan Babineaux is an underrated nickel corner.

Tylaa

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, I look at this game and I am very confident we will win. The only scary thing was I was very confident we would win in Dalas and we ended up losing. So, I guess this is a little different but I think we can pull it out!

Score: Packers 31, Seahawks: 20

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Packers vs Seahawks Preview

http://packergeeks.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/packers-seahawks/

Packers - Seahawks

Overall, I do not think this will be a very close game. It may be a decent game in the first half, but I think McCarthy’s better team will make the better halftime adjustments and handle the Seahawks. Seattle also is 3-5 on the road this year and away from the 12th man, they play differently. I do foresee Ryan Grant being a significant counter to the rush-happy Seattle defense, limiting the effectiveness of Kerney and Julian Peterson. I’m guessing a fair number of run plays will be called in the first half as well as screens and play action. This will also open up the passing game for Favre which will leave Seattle’s defense guessing. Koren Robinson, Donald Lee and James Jones will have a big games and the special teams on both teams will factor into this game significantly. The Packers need to keep an eye on Patrick Kerney (obviously), but also on Nate Burleson. He is a firey competitor who can burn us on punt/kickoff returns but also as a receiver. My guess is Hasselback will throw at least one pick and the Packers pass rush will awaken and cause a fumble or two. While Packer fans may be concerned re Favre forcing throws too, I think he’ll manage his game well and I don’t think he’ll end up with more than one pick. Shaun Alexander will continue to be mediocre but smile and act like he’s a superstar and Hasselback will continue to be jealous of his brother having a hot wife. Packers 34 - Seattle 16.

Oh man. I soooo much want to see us doing screens again. That's one thing I missed about having Ahman Green was he was a beast in a screen. used to drive opposing Ds crazy.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22532118/

Playoff analysis, predictions from Mike Celizic

Packers

This one’s all about the old man and the football, quarterback Brett Favre, gunning for one more glorious run through the postseason. He was the second most prolific passer behind Tom Brady this season, and as he goes, so goes the Pack. Ryan Grant is a breakaway threat at running back, and averaged 5.1 yards a carry once Green Bay settled on him as a starter. Donald Driver led the team with 82 receptions, but Greg Jennings is the deep threat and the big scorer with 12 TDs and an average of 17.4 yards per catch. The offensive line did an extraordinary job protecting Favre this year, giving up just 19 sacks; against the sack-happy Seahawks, they’ll be tested to their limit. The defense is led by veteran corner Charles Woodson, outside linebacker A.J. Hawk and middle linebacker Nick Barnett. Strong safety Atari Bigby led the secondary with five interceptions.

The Seahawks win if

Seattle made life miserable for Washington quarterback Todd Collins, forcing him out of the pocket and smothering his receivers. Getting to Favre won’t be as easy, but they have to put him on his back. Favre can also become reckless if he’s playing from behind, so it’s vital for the Seahawks to carry a lead into the second half — preferably a two-touchdown lead. If Hasselbeck can get through the day with no turnovers and the pass rush can punish Favre, they could win.

The Packers win if

No sacks almost certainly equals victory. Green Bay knows that, and that’s going to be their goal — to keep Favre’s uniform clean. If they give him time, no secondary alive can stop him and the Packers will win.

The Seahawks lose if

They got past the Redskins with a minimal rushing attack, and Washington easily won the time-of-possession battle in the wild-card round. That can’t happen again, because Green Bay can finish the drives that Washington couldn’t. If Alexander is ineffective, it will be more pressure on the passing game than Hasselbeck can stand and Seattle will go home.

The Packers lose if

It gets back to pass protection. If Favre gets sacked three or four times and gets pressured frequently, it will mean the offensive line has lost the battle. If they also give up a big play on special teams, they’ll be toast.

Prediction

Favre is the big storyline. The sidebar is coach Mike Holmgren facing his old team, a team he took to its last Super Bowl win. Holmgren has done well in the regular season, but outside of a trip to the Super Bowl two years ago, his postseasons have not gone well in Seattle. He’s up against a better team here, one with a charismatic quarterback having one of his best-ever seasons. The game’s in Green Bay, in weather the Seahawks aren’t used to. They were great against the Redskins, but Favre isn’t going to go as meekly as Collins. The Packers should win this one, blowing it open in the second half. Packers 37, Seahawks 17.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Had a little fun with a picture I swiped on the net.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=335084

"If the Seahawks can't mount a pass rush, Brett Favre will slice-and-dice their defense. Green Bay uses a lot of four- and five-receiver sets, which will be challenging for Seattle's back seven." Green Bay 27, Seattle 20

http://cbs.sportsline.com/nfl/postseason/matchups/divisional/SEA-GB

"I don't think [Seattle's] offense will be able to keep up with the Packers. Green Bay will get their points." Green Bay wins

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/dr_z/01/07/playoffs/index.html

"[Matt Hasselbeck] seems like a nice sort of bloke, and he's had lots of good moments on the field. I just have a feeling, as I've written before, that he doesn't raise the level of his game commensurate with the stakes involved." Green Bay 31, Seattle 24

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22532118/

"[The Seahawks] were great against the Redskins, but [Brett] Favre isn’t going to go as meekly as [Todd] Collins. The Packers should win this one, blowing it open in the second half. Green Bay 37, Seattle 17

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2008-01-08-seahawks-packers-preview_N.htm

"The Packers are 7-1 at home and should have plenty of energy at Lambeau Field after their bye week. That, combined with an offense that is even more potent with the emergence of RB Ryan Grant, is too much for a Seahawks team that simply doesn't travel well." Green Bay 27, Seattle 24

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/04/SP4PU8UVL.DTL

"The Packers and Brett Favre worked hard to earn home-field advantage. With Ryan Grant adding punch to the ground game, they're a complete team." Green Bay wins

http://2008playoffs.nytimes.com/matchup/SEA_GB

"The Seahawks' defense features four Pro Bowl starters, but that same defense allowed 44 points to Atlanta and has played only three playoff teams this season. " Green Bay by 3

:USA: :eek:mg: :USA: :yeah: :agree: :eek:mg: :USA:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Green_Bay_Packers said:
Sorry i forget to say Thanks Tophat yet again for all the work you have done

THANKS...AS A FRENCH AMERICAN I AM PLEASED BY THE INTERNATIONAL AUDIENCE FOR THE PACKER NATION. IT'S BEEN A GREAT YEAR...MAY IT'S NOT "ALL GOOD THINGS...." BUT "MAYBE IN THE END...TIME WILL STAND STILL FOREVER FOREVER...."

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/346967_hmatch11.html?source=rss

Playoff Preview: Packers-Seahawks matchups: The P-I's Farnsworth analyzes the matchups and Hall of Fame Q Moon casts his vote.

QUARTERBACK

Each quarterback has carried the offensive load for his team. But as well as Matt Hasselbeck has played for the Seahawks, Brett Favre has played even better. Favre had seven 300-yard passing performances in the first 11 games, and the Packers went 10-1. After coach Mike Holmgren decided to return to his passing roots at midseason, Hasselbeck threw 15 touchdown passes and five interceptions as the Seahawks won six of their final eight games. Favre, however, has not been at his best in recent elimination games -- throwing 16 interceptions and 11 touchdowns as the Packers have gone 2-5 in the playoffs since their last Super Bowl appearance in 1997.

P-I: PACKERS MOON: PACKERS

RUNNING BACKS

Neither team is running the ball at a playoff level, despite the fact that the Packers' Ryan Grant had the third-most rushing yards in the league over the second half of the season. He's at his best when running the stretch, especially when he cuts back. But the Seahawks defense has the speed to run him down. The Seahawks will continue to alternate Shaun Alexander and Maurice Morris, with Alexander getting 36 carries and Morris 32 in the past three games. The Seahawks' season high for rushing yardage is 167 (in the regular-season finale against the Falcons). They averaged 153.6 yards in 2005.

P-I: PACKERS MOON: SEAHAWKS

RECEIVERS

Both teams like to spread the field with four-receiver sets, and the Packers will even go with five. But the Seahawks have had starters Deion Branch and D.J. Hackett on the field together for only 2 1/2 games. The Packers, meanwhile, got an 82-catch season from Donald Driver, and Greg Jennings averaged 17.4 yards on 53 receptions and scored 12 touchdowns. Favre will throw the ball up and let his receivers go get it. The Seahawks passing game relies more on tempo and rhythm -- not to mention Bobby Engram (94 receptions) and Nate Burleson (nine touchdown catches), who have filled in for Branch and Hackett. Packers tight end Donald Lee caught 48 passes and scored six TDs, while the Seahawks' duo of Marcus Pollard and Will Heller combined to catch 41 passes and score five times.

OFFENSIVE LINE

The best player on each line is the left tackle -- Walter Jones for the Seahawks and Chad Clifton for the Packers. The right tackles -- Sean Locklear and Mark Tauscher -- are solid. The middles are a different story. For the Seahawks, center Chris Spencer and guards Rob Sims and Chris Gray have had their moments -- good, and bad. It's been a similar situation for the Packers, with guards Daryn Colledge and Jason Spitz struggling with undersized center Scott Wells. Each line has done a better job in pass protection than in run blocking. Each line will be tested by the outside speed of the other team's pass rushers, and need to handle any blitzes that come up the middle.

P-I: EVEN MOON: PACKERS

DEFENSIVE LINE

If Patrick Kerney has another effort in him like the one he turned in against the Redskins, the Packers -- and especially Tauscher -- are in for one relentless afternoon. Kerney's speed and pursuit off the left side, not to mention his conference-leading 14 1/2 sacks, will force the Packers to give Tauscher help, which in turn will help the Seahawks' other linemen. The Packers also are capable of turning up the heat, especially in the nickel where Aaron Kampman (12 sacks) and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila (9 1/2) come off the edges and end Cullen Jenkins moves inside with tackle Corey Williams (7).

P-I: SEAHAWKS MOON: SEAHAWKS

LINEBACKERS

While leading tackler Lofa Tatupu has been a rock in the middle for the Seahawks, Julian Peterson (9 1/2 sacks, four forced fumbles) and Leroy Hill (three forced fumbles, 13 tackles against the Redskins) have been the playmakers on the outside. Is there a better trio in the league? Packers coach Mike McCarthy opts for his: middleman Nick Barnett (165 tackles), A.J. Hawk (129) and Brady Poppinga (70). Each unit will have to come up big, clogging the running lanes, dropping into coverage when the Packers go to their empty backfield set and the Seahawks their four-wide receiver look and also helping to pressuring Favre and Hasselbeck.

SECONDARY

The Seahawks will be staring at a Pro Bowl quarterback after facing backups in their past seven games -- with mixed results. But this unit is playing with confidence, and aggressively -- especially Pro Bowl cornerback Marcus Trufant (eight interceptions, 85 tackles). The improved pass rush has helped, and so have the free-agent additions of safeties Deon Grant and Brian Russell. The Seahawks will be tested when the Packers go to their five-wide spread formation, because it will require rookie Josh Wilson and nickel back Jordan Babineaux to matchup with bigger/faster receivers. The Packers will counter with a physical foursome that depends on press coverage from cornerbacks Al Harris and Charles Woodson to disrupt the timing of opposing passing games. Woodson slides inside in the nickel and is replaced on the left side by Jarrett Bush, who has been exposed at times. Free safety Nick Collins has good speed, while strong safety Atari Bigby showed his blitzing ability in the Packers' preseason game against the Seahawks.

SPECIAL TEAMS

Each team has a potentially explosive returner -- the Seahawks' Burleson (six punt returns of 25-plus yards, a 91-yard kickoff return) and the Packers' Koren Robinson (23.8-yard average on kickoff returns). Each has a solid kicker -- the Seahawks' Josh Brown (127 points) and Packers' rookie Mason Crosby (141 points). Packers punter Jon Ryan has better averages (44.4 yards, 37.6 net) than the Seahawks' Ryan Plackemeier (40.0, a league-low 34.3 net), but Plackemeier was tied for fourth in the league in punts downed inside the 20-yard line (30). The coverage units for both teams rank among the top 10 in the league in average punt and kickoff returns allowed.

P-I: EVEN MOON: SEAHAWKS

COACHING

The Packers' McCarthy got some coach-of-the-year votes, after leading the youngest team in the league to a 13-3 record. But they have yet to name a street in Green Bay after him -- as they did with Mike Holmgren after he coached the Packers to a victory in Super Bowl XXXI. Holmgren returns to the scene of his prime with a Seahawks team that has won four consecutive division titles and is in the postseason for the fifth time in as many years. He also has a staff that has 333 games of playoff experience, while McCarthy is making his postseason debut as a head coach. Whether Holmgren can work his sideline magic at Lambeau against his former team will be critical in the Seahawks pulling off the upset or having their season end a game shy of the NFC Championship Game again.

INTANGIBLES

Two words: Lambeau Field. Two more words: Brett Favre. Plus, over the past two seasons, the Packers are 3-1 at Lambeau when the temperature has been 40 degrees or colder -- with the wins coming by an average score of 27-9. The forecast for Saturday? Twenty-six degrees for the late afternoon kickoff.

P-I: PACKERS MOON: PACKERS

FINAL SCORE: P-I: PACKERS, 24-21 MOON: SEAHAWKS, 27-24

:USA: :eek:mg: :eek:mg: :USA:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FAN VS FAN

PACKERS " SENSE OF HUMOR" FAN VS. SEAPUKES FAN:

Seapukes fan reaction to predicted Packers victory:

Not a chance for the Packers this weekend. There are many reasons why they will lose.
1. Favre is the #1 reason. He is to old to handle the speed of the Seahawks Defense. Kerney will manhandle Favre and he will need extra pads on his butt because this is where he will be most of the day.
2. The lack of experience on the Packers defense and Offense during the post season
3.Packers coach has very little exp. and will feel the pressure this weekend big time.
4. The Seahawks are a much better team, with the core of a championship calibar QB in Hasselbeck.
**** luck Packers, you had a good run, but it will end Sat..

Packers fan amusing response:

1. You're right Favre had a hell of a time handling defenses all year, I mean come on, he only won 13 games, 2 of which are teams still in the hunt, what a bum. And the 15 sack beating he took all season, ouch
2. Youth sucks, gimme a bunch of guys on the down side of their careers over a promising young team any day.
3. McCarthy is totally gonna freak out and try to drown himself in the frigid waters of Green Bay over the immense pressure of his first playoff game RIP
4. Yes, records indicate that Seattle 11-6 is indeed a better football team than the Packers 13-3. I wish the Pack had a championship calibar (caliber) QB like Hasselbeck, imagine what coulda been......
Yes, Good luck Packers....against the Giants/Cowboys next week

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.kirotv.com/nfl085/15023806/detail.html

NFL Preview - Seattle (11-6) At Green Bay (13-3)

Green Bay will be seeking its first playoff victory since January 4, 2004, when the Pack edged the Seahawks at Lambeau Field in an 33-27 overtime thriller during the NFC's opening round. Cornerback Al Harris provided the winning points with a 52-yard interception return of Seattle's Matt Hasselbeck for a touchdown.

WHEN THE PACKERS HAVE THE BALL

The Packers' personnel and offensive philosophy is a lot like Seattle's, as the team boasts a talented contingent of receivers that should be getting plenty of work from the ageless Favre (4155 yards, 28 TD, 15 INT) on Saturday. The remarkably reliable Donald Driver (82 receptions, 1048 yards, 2 TD) delivered a fourth straight year with more than 80 catches and 1,000 yards, while the dynamic Greg Jennings (53 receptions) scored 12 touchdowns and averaged 17.4 yards per grab in a breakout sophomore season. Rookie James Jones (47 receptions, 2 TD) also made quite an impact as the No. 3 receiver, while tight end Donald Lee (48 receptions, 6 TD) emerged as one of Favre's favorite targets in the red zone. Favre curtailed his trademark gunslinger mentality this year, and that wiser approach has resulted in a drastic reduction in turnovers for the NFL's second-ranked passing attack (270.9 ypg).

Favre's turnaround season has been aided by terrific protection from a line that yielded just 19 sacks, an impressive number considering how much the Packers throw the ball. However, the front wall will face quite a challenge this week from a Seattle defense that got to the quarterback 45 times during the regular season and consistently harassed Washington's Collins last Saturday. The one-on-one matchups between Seahawk ends Patrick Kerney (62 tackles, 14.5 sacks) and Darryl Tapp (49 tackles, 7 sacks) and Green Bay's bookend tackle tandem of Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher will be ones to watch, as those battles will go a long way in determining the success of both teams. The Packers still have to deal with pass-rushing linebacker Julian Peterson (74 tackles, 9.5 sacks, 2 INT), as well as a ballhawking secondary headed by Pro Bowl selection Trufant (85 tackles, 7 INT, 15 PD). Seattle yielded a league-low 15 touchdown passes and forced a healthy 34 turnovers entering the postseason.

The Seahawks also played the run extremely well in last week's victory, limiting Washington's Clinton Portis to a mere 52 rushing yards on 20 carries. Strongside linebacker LeRoy Hill (81 tackles, 3 sacks) led the charge with 13 tackles, including 11 solo stops, and is part of a top-notch trio headlined by three-time Pro Bowler Lofa Tatupu (109 tackles, 4 INT, 1 sack) in the middle. Tatupu finished with 12 tackles against the Redskins. For the year Seattle ranked 12th overall in rushing defense (102.8 ypg).

Green Bay was only 21st in the NFL in rushing yards (99.8 ypg), but its once- dormant ground game went from a weakness to a strength when McCarthy inserted Ryan Grant (956 rushing yards, 8 TD, 30 receptions) as the primary ball- carrier at midseason. The former practice squad player had five 100-yard outings over the final 10 games and averaged 5.1 yards per rush on the year. Grant also displayed plenty of game-breaking ability, as four of his eight touchdown runs were for 27 yards or more.

OVERALL ANALYSIS

In a game that features the most prolific quarterback in the history of the sport as well as plenty of well-established talent on each side, it's ironic that the x-factor is Grant, an undrafted player out of college who began this season as Green Bay's fourth-string halfback. Both teams have signal-callers with a wealth of big-game experience and moxie, excellent skill and depth at the receiver positions, and sturdy defenses that are very good at pressuring the passer. But the Packers do have one potential clear advantage, provided they're able to get the running game churning out yards like it did during the second half of the season. Conversely, if the Seahawks can shut down Grant, there's no reason to think they can't win this game. Forget about Seattle's dubious history on the road -- the team came within a whisker of winning its last two playoff tests away from home and went toe-to-toe with quality clubs like Cleveland and Philadelphia as the visitor earlier this year. Still, the Packers are a little bit stronger along both lines of scrimmage and should run the ball well enough to keep Seattle's opportunistic defense honest. Therefore, give the home team a slight edge in what should be a hard-fought and entertaining contest.

Sports Network Predicted Outcome: Packers 28, Seahawks 22

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://blogs.jsonline.com/packers/archive/2008/01/11/it-s-on-it-s-so-on.aspx

It's on. It's so on.

Governor Jim Doyle just laid the political smackdown on whoever leads the great state of Washington. (Apparently, judging from this press release, it's Chris Gregoire.) Doyle has "upped the ante" by agreeing to include some "freshly caught Lake Michigan Coho Salmon" -- in addition to the already agreed upon Wisconsin bratwurst -- if the Seahawks beat the Packers. "It seems a little fishy that Governor Gregoire would want to send cheese to the greatest cheese makers in the world, but we will happily accept her gift after the Packers victory," Governor Doyle said. "Wisconsinites don't have a lot of occasion to eat canned cheese from the West Coast." At this time, Gregoire is only offering a measly pittance of Cougar Gold cheese, produced by the Washington State University Creamery, if the Packers beat the Seahawks. It may be too late to get in on this, but the two governors will shake on the wager at 2:15 p.m. at Lambeau Field before the game. I hear there's going to be some serious trash talking. Doyle ain't no punk!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers 37
Seattle 20

I like Seattle, have a lot of respect of course for Mike Holmgren, and of course for one of the Penn State greats in Bobby Engram...here's my synopsis.

1. Seattle's pass rush is key, they went after Todd Collins last week, but Tauscher/Clifton will be more effective in blocking than Washington's scrap heap acquisitions were last week.
1a. Ryan Grant running the ball will provide enough balance to keep Seattle's defense at bay
2. Seattle very easily could've lost to a Washington team which made it to the playoffs on heart and heart only.
3. Washington didn't get after Hasselbeck that well, I expect the Packers to do differently
4. It's not in Seattle

MarkAshton

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Johnnie Gray's strategy

http://www.railbirdcentral.com/2008/01/plan-for-peterson.html#links

The plan for Peterson [active LBs]

Today on Sports Line, a sports talk radio show heard on 107.5 WDUZ fm in Green Bay, hosts Chris Havel and former Packer Johnnie Gray were discussing about how the Packers are going to game plan for Seattle Seahawks Pro Bowl linebacker Julian Peterson. Havel brought up the question, how are the Packers going to account for Peterson who can line up just about anywhere on the field and play with amazing quickness and intensity? Gray's answer was that the Packers will try to line up in their "Big Five" formation with five wide receivers. That, in turn, will force the Seahawks to line up in a dime formation or risk leaving Peterson on the field in a pass coverage situation. Expect the Packers to get a lot out of the Big Five on Saturday. They'll, no doubt, be relying on their running game as well, but this isn't going to be a repeat of the Chicago Bears game. It's goint to be cold, but it isn't going to be as windy. The Packers are going to pass and pass and pass on the Seahawks. In fact, the current issue of the Sporting News tabbed Packers receiver and return man Koren Robinson as one of the playoffs' under-the-radar performers.

I think going to the "big five" receiverse will bite them if they do it more than a few times? Reason, Patrick Kearney will not be double-teamed which means he's going to get to Favre. Favre's fast at releasing the ball (I'm told) but he can't alaways find an open receiver and Kearney is fast. If the Pack use five receivers more than handful of times I predict Favre will get sacked 2-3 times and knocked down lots more.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SATURDAY: UPDATES

www.packersnews.com/in...ndex.shtml

Today's Injury Report: Blackmon questionable; others probable:

Probable

LB Nick Barnett (hamstring)
WR Greg Jennings (groin)
WR Koren Robinson (knee)
DT Corey Williams (hamstring)
CB Charles Woodson (toe/knee)

Questionable: CB Will Blackmon (foot)

Translation: "We're healthy as hell and ready to go...."

http://www.packersnews.com

Packersnews.com Poll [6600 votes]:

90.6 % Packers win by 10 or more/close one

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080112/PKR01/80111204/1989/frontpage

3 keys to today's playoff game

Mark Tauscher vs. Patrick Kerney

The Packers’ ability to protect quarterback Brett Favre will be critical to today’s outcome, and it all starts with blocking left defensive end Kerney, who finished second in the NFL in sacks with 14½. He dominated last week against Washington, but that was facing an undrafted rookie right tackle. This week, he’s up against a tested and accomplished veteran in Tauscher, who despite playing with a bad ankle the second half of this season has been solid in pass protection. The less the Packers have to help Tauscher, the more they can devote to blocking Julian Peterson (9½ sacks) and Darryl Tapp (seven sacks) or sending all five eligible receivers into pass routes. Tauscher-Kerney definitely is a matchup to watch.

Lofa Tatupu vs. Ryan Grant

Seattle has a solid run defense and stopped Washington’s run game by holding halfback Clinton Portis to only 52 yards on 20 carries, and Washington ranked 12th in the NFL in rushing offense, so the Packers won’t run the ball down the Seahawks’ throats. However, with their spread passing game, they might be able to run some against the Seahawks’ defensive passing personnel. Tatupu, who will start in the Pro Bowl, never leaves the field, so he’ll carry a heavy load in Seattle’s run defense, especially when the Packers and Seahawks have their passing personnel on the field. Grant had 67 yards on only six carries for the Packers against Detroit in the regular-season finale, so he appears healthy and ready. But if the Seahawks shut him down, that will turn the game into two one-dimensional offenses.

Packers secondary vs. Deion Branch, D.J. Hackett, Bobby Engram and Nate Burleson

The Seahawks will have their top four receivers for one of the few times this season, so the Packers’ secondary will face its biggest challenge probably since Dallas. Branch is their best big-play threat and, though just returning from injury, could draw Harris on most downs if the Packers continue with their plan of matching him against the opponent’s best receiver. Engram led the team with 94 catches and works mostly from the slot, so the Packers might be inclined to match Charles Woodson against him as much as possible, including in multiple-receiver sets. Still, that leaves Hackett, who’s a starter, and Burleson for the Packers’ nickel and dime backs, who will come from the group of Tramon Williams, Jarrett Bush, Frank Walker and perhaps Will Blackmon, if he’s healthy enough to play. Seattle coach Mike Holmgren presumably will attack the younger backup cornerbacks, so how well they hold up regardless of who they’re covering will go a long way toward determining who wins this game.

:USA: :eek:mg: :yeah: :agree: :stpat: :eek:mg: :USA:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PREVIEW & PIC OF THOUSAND WORDS: "ITS ABOUT TIME!"

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=706212

Preview: Green Bay Packers vs. Seattle Seahawks

FIVE THINGS TO WATCH

TOUGH TEST: On many passing downs, Seattle defensive coaches John Marshall and Jim Mora will employ a 3-3 defense with three linemen and LB Julian Peterson roving behind them. "When you go to three or four wide receivers and they substitute their nickel package, they probably have the most all-encompassing nickel package of any team in the league," said an offensive line coach for a recent Seahawks' opponent. "When it's three down and Peterson is walking around, they can create some mismatches and issues. They cause some mental gymnastics for the guys up front." Minnesota is one of the teams that has played a 3-3 against Green Bay.

PROBE INSIDE: The Seahawks lost LG Steve Hutchinson to Minnesota in March 2006. Then C Robbie Tobeck retired after the '06 season. The Seahawks aren't nearly as good now with Rob Sims and Chris Spencer, and RG Chris Gray probably should have retired. "The reason they keep talking about Shaun Alexander is those people can't move people off the ball," one personnel man said. "It's not Shaun Alexander. Those guys can't sustain what they do. Green Bay definitely can disrupt it. Sims and Gray are similar in a lot of ways. They both give you a good one shot and they both can play in very small areas. But you get them outside those small areas and they struggle."

OUTSIDE JOUSTS: Two of the best matchups will pit Seattle DE Patrick Kerney against RT Mark Tauscher and Seattle RT Sean Locklear against DE Aaron Kampman. "Kerney is probably a little lighter on his feet than Kampman," one scout said. "Kampman plays the run better than Kerney. Locklear is as talented as he wants to be." Said another scout: "What those ends do is almost identical. They're smart technicians who work to the end of the play. Locklear wants you to get into his body, then he wants to just beat you up. He doesn't measure up with what Kampman does in any way, shape or form. Kampman's movement is not what he likes." As for Tauscher against Kerney, an opposing assistant said: "For all the sacks Kerney has, he's no Dwight Freeney. Trust me. They'll be able to block him. He gets a lot of his sacks through hustle."

STRIKE DEEP: The Seahawks are more than satisfied with the performance of new safeties Deon Grant and Brian Russell. "Russell is one of the reasons why (Marcus) Trufant and (Kelly) Jennings have played as well as they have," one scout said. "He's not a blazer by any means, but there's something to be said for making sure everybody else is where they're supposed to be." However, another scout and an assistant said both safeties were vulnerable deep. "Grant is hitting more now, but the mistakes he makes are still the same," the scout said. "Letting guys get behind him. Guessing a little bit. Getting himself out of position. Russell is the son of a coach. He is smart. Slow and smart. But things get on top of him fast. It's not him taking chances. He just doesn't react real quick."

TALENT GALORE: Connoisseurs of linebacker play will see two exceptional players in the middle, an outstanding strong-side player in Peterson and an interesting pairing on the weak side with Leroy Hill and A.J. Hawk. "You could say that Hill makes more plays," one scout said. "I think there's more hype with Hawk, and he certainly has all the physical tools. But Leroy can just fly. He's their most underrated player. Everybody looks at (Lofa) Tatupu and Julian and forgets about Hill. Hawk is more a student of the game and has better natural strength. Leroy is just a hard worker and a good athlete."

VIEWS OF THE GAME

SILVERSTEIN: Playing on the road will negate some of Seattle's pass-rush advantage, and the less-than-100% condition of receivers Deion Branch and D.J. Hackett will make it hard for the Seahawks to muster enough to beat a team coming off a bye week. Packers 27, Seahawks 16.

BEDARD: As long as the Packers get off to a good start to settle the nerves of their young players, they should roll against a Seahawks team that played the league's easiest schedule and has won just one road playoff game in franchise history. Packers 35, Seahawks 17.

HUNT: Another overtime in the playoffs would not be out of the question for these sister franchises. But if it again comes down to Brett Favre or Matt Hasselbeck making game-deciding plays, take No. 4 at home. Packers 26, Seahawks 20.

NICKEL: Patrick Kerney really walks the walk, doesn't he? On TV the other night with the black stuff smeared under his eyes he looked like an extra from the movie "Gladiator." But if that's what scares you most about Seattle - and not the running back or receivers - then that's not enough. Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck is one of the greatest guys to come through the Green Bay franchise in the last 15 years, but even he can't do everything. It would take the perfect scheme and execution for Seattle to pull this off, and while that could happen, it's not likely. Packers 24, Seahawks 14.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

CalifPacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Packer fans,

I am ready to rock. Got a seasoned Tri-Tip, sausages, shrooms, beer, smoke, and a few pals showing up for the playoff-game.

Found my old High school jersey which happens to look exactly like the 60's Green Bay uniform. I played in the early 70's as a back up LCB. Hey, don't laugh too much, I can still fit into it!!

Green Bay 31
Seattle 13

PackinSteel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Grant = 120+ yds 1TD
Kampman 2 sacks
KGB 1 sack
Jennings 2 TDs, 1 over 50 yds
Lee + Jones top receiving tandem
Driver critical 3rd down catch
Favre 3 TDs 350+ yds 1 INT