Packers vs Seahawks: Previews & Predictions

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080108/PKR07/801080561/1989&located=FLASH

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=334102

http://www.packersnews.com/includes...r/2008/01/practice-notes-spitz-practices.html

Scout, coach predict Packers to grab win

Based on multiple online oddsmakers, the Seattle Seahawks are anywhere from a 7½- to 8½-point underdogs to the Green Bay Packers for Saturday's NFC divisional playoff game at Lambeau Field. The Packers' greatest edge in this game is their reward for finishing with the second-best record in the NFC: a first-round playoff bye and home-field advantage. "I'd pick Green Bay. They're most rested. Their corners can match up very well," said an assistant coach for a Seattle rival in the NFC West. "(The Seahawks) are not a team that does a great job running the ball. Defensively, they'll give (the Packers) more than they've had rushing the passer, probably. "But in the big picture, I think (the Packers) will win the game. That bye is a nice deal. You're sparing your emotion while they're burning theirs up. I just think (the Packers) will win the game."

One scout and one assistant coach from rival teams in the NFC West agreed to assess the matchup with the Packers, and both predicted a close game, though both also predicted the Packers will win. "(The Seahawks) are a pretty good team when they're throwing the ball," the scout said. "But they can't run. The receiving corps is pretty talented — their playmaker is (Deion) Branch. The guy you have to be careful you don't forget about is this D.J. Hackett kid. He's a big kid that's pretty damn good in the red zone. They have no tight end. O-line as a whole is average to a little above average."

Passing offense

The Seahawks finished the season ranked eighth in the 32-team NFL in passing yards. Quarterback Matt Hasselbeck ranked eighth in the NFL in passer rating (91.5 points, 27 touchdown passes, 12 interceptions in 16 starts). They have no Pro Bowl-type receiver but have good talent from No. 1 through 4, with Branch (49 receptions), Hackett (32 catches), Bobby Engram (94 catches) and Nate Burleson (nine touchdowns). Engram is the No. 3 receiver, so when Seattle goes to three- or four-receiver sets, starting cornerback Charles Woodson will move to the slot and cover him, while the Packers' No. 3 cornerback (Jarrett Bush, Tramon Williams or Will Blackmon) will be on the outside covering Hackett.

"Seattle's going to play a lot of three-receiver sets, and if you get pressure on that quarterback, he'll throw interceptions," the scout said. "Give him time, he'll pick you apart, and it's not down-the-field stuff, it's underneath stuff. I'd think if they go two receivers, (Green Bay) will play man and get after them pretty good. If they go three and four receivers, which they'll do to get (the Packers) out of being aggressive on defense, they'll have a chance."

Rushing offense

The Seahawks' run game, which was among the NFL's best when Shaun Alexander rushed for 1,880 yards in 2005, has fallen off the map, so Hasselbeck doesn't have the threat of a run game to slow the pass rush. Alexander gained only 716 yards and averaged 3.5 yards a carry this year. His backup, Maurice Morris, has been the better back (628 yards, 4.5 yards a carry).

Defensive line/linebackers

On defense, Seattle is small and fast in the front seven, where their top playmakers are defensive end Patrick Kerney (14½ sacks, Pro Bowl starter), middle linebacker Lofa Tatupu (109 tackles, Pro Bowl starter) and outside linebacker Julian Peterson (10 sacks). The scout said Tatupu is comparable to but not better than the Packers' Nick Barnett. Defensive coordinator John Marshall moves Peterson around to allow him to rush the passer from various positions, sometimes with his hand down at right defensive end, other times to shoot a gap near Kerney, who at left defensive end will be matched against Packers right tackle Mark Tauscher.

Secondary

Seattle's secondary is its weak link. It has one good cornerback in Marcus Trufant, the No. 11 pick overall in the 2003 draft who returned an interception 78 yards for a touchdown against Washington. He had seven interceptions in the regular season. The other starting cornerback is wispy Kelly Jennings (5-foot-11, 180), a first-round pick last year who isn't physical. Their nickel back usually is rookie Josh Wilson, a second-round pick who's only 5-9. Safeties Brian Russell and Deon Grant, both signed last offseason, are good tacklers but lack speed. Seattle's biggest problem will be matching up with the Packers' multiple-receiver sets, including when coach Mike McCarthy deploys five wide receivers and an empty backfield. "I think the (Packers) will win it," the scout said. "But they'll have to play pretty well."

Seahawks Keys For Success

1. Throw over the middle. The Packers' coverage is strong on the perimeter. And with quarterback Matt Hasselbeck struggling in the Seahawks' win last week over the Redskins, look for coach Mike Holmgren to call for more high-percentage throws and more passes to slot receiver Bobby Engram on quick slants and crossing routes to test the linebackers in deep coverage and to test Green Bay's overaggressive safeties. With Hasselbeck spreading the ball to as many as eight receivers, Green Bay could struggle to account for everyone.

2. Attack Brett Favre. The Seahawks ranked fourth in the NFL with 45 sacks. Nearly two-thirds of Seattle's sacks come from defensive linemen. With Favre spreading the ball around in the passing game, Seattle needs the athletic linebackers in coverage. That means it'll be up to defensive end Patrick Kerney and linemates to collapse the pocket and make Favre throw quickly and off his back foot. [DREAM ON]

3. Disguise pre-snap alignments. Seahawks linebackers Lofa Tatupu, Julian Peterson and Leroy Hill are all fast and athletic and can play in any situation on the field -- against the run, in coverage or as a blitzer. They will show certain alignments when Favre approaches the line and then adjust at the snap. All three linebackers drop quickly into coverage and could force Favre to hold the ball until the pass rush arrives or force an ill-advised throw into coverage. Favre will be smarter with the ball than Washington's Collins was last week, and Favre has the ability to check down quickly or get rid of the ball safely.

Packers Keys For Success

1. Maintain balance. The emergence of running back Ryan Grant in the second half of the season created a lot of opportunities for the offense. By running Grant effectively early in the game, Green Bay will set up play-action passes to allow Favre to attack the Seahawks downfield and underneath. A more effective passing attack will open up running lanes for later in the game.

2. Throw outside. Seattle has cornerbacks Marcus Trufant and Kelly Jennings play man-to-man often, relying on the pass rush to reach the quarterback and limit their exposure in coverage. The Packers, however, have some fast receivers in Greg Jennings, Donald Driver and James Jones who can get open downfield. Expect Favre to challenge the man-to-man coverage when he feels he can beat the pass rush. Favre will put the ball up and let his receivers run under it.

3. Pressure Hasselbeck without blitzing. With running back Shaun Alexander struggling mightily, the Seahawks have gone to a pass-oriented attack. Hasselbeck will spread the ball around and take what the defense gives, throwing to the open man. Green Bay has two good cornerbacks in Al Harris and Charles Woodson but will need the nickel backs and linebackers to help contain all the Seahawks' weapons and limit Hasselbeck's passing windows. Therefore, the Packers need defensive ends Aaron Kampman and Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila to pressure Hasselbeck and force him to make quick throws. If he has time in the pocket to survey the field, even against seven men in coverage, he will find the open man. Full matchup

Practice notes: Spitz practices

Guard Jason Spitz was back on the practice field and taking most or all of his normal work this morning. "He's doing better," coach Mike McCarthy said after practice. "We have an injury report that we'll file (Wednesday), but I think we'll be very healthy for the game, including Jason."

Fullback John Kuhn (bruise) and linebacker Tracy White also returned to action, but cornerback Will Blackmon (foot) did not. The team didn't feel Blackmon was ready to test Monday, so he will test Wednesday, McCarthy said.

Quick hits

* TE Franks (knee) and WR Robinson (knee) left practice after the jog-through, presumably to get treatment.

* CB Woodson (toe) appeared to be a full participant.

* RB Jackson was absent because of illness & is expected to practice Wednesday.

:USA: :eek:mg: :eek:mg: :yeah: :eek:mg: :eek:mg: :USA:

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers vs Seahawks: Previews

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2008/1/6/25724/07601

REVIEWING SEAHAWKS VS REDSKINS GAME & STRATEGIES

Overall this game showed that Seattle has a one dimensional offense and Favre should have success passing against their defense if his pass protection is solid. The Packers have to put pressure on Hasselbeck, or maybe the cold weather will shut him down, and then they can shut down their offense. The Packers are much better at running the football than Washington and the Packers' five receiver sets should be a problem for Seattle.

8) 8)

MarkAshton

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Small sample size but Packer fans seem pretty confident. I remember Carolina Panther fans being pretty confident against the Seahawks a couple of years back too. Oops. One big difference. Carolina played in Seattle.

PappyVanWinkle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Small sample size but Packer fans seem pretty confident. I remember Carolina Panther fans being pretty confident against the Seahawks a couple of years back too. Oops. One big difference. Carolina played in Seattle.

Come on man, put it out there.
Seattle 34, Green Bay 28.

Pack93z

You retired too? .... Not me. I'm in my prime
Reaction score

Honest question.. how in the world do you see the Hawks scoring 34 points? Must be banking on defensive scores or special teams having an amazing day.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score

We're all homers here. But we were right 13 times out of 16 so far. ;)

PappyVanWinkle

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PappyVanWinkle said:

Honest question.. how in the world do you see the Hawks scoring 34 points? Must be banking on defensive scores or special teams having an amazing day.

Yeah, one of those, it's really the only way I see us winning.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So I'm supposed to predict something?

Both Ds fold. Packers win a shootout - 41-31.

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PappyVanWinkle said:

Most overlooked stat going in is these I believe are 2 of the 3 best scoring defenses in the NFC. Both are tied for 2nd behind Tampa Bay.

I think your looking at a 20 to 17 type of deal here.

favre2driver

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Seattle will get some pressure on Favre, maybe 2-3 sacks. He will throw a pick or two, but will also throw a couple touchdowns. We also must be effective running the ball. We should alot of 4-5 receiver sets and try to get favorable matchups.

Packers 27 Seahwaks 20

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I see a VERY close game for the first half then a Packer adjustment puts them over the top in the second half...

Packers 27 Seahawks 21

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Preview: Seattle at Green Bay

http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2008/1/10/21425/3022

Preview: Seattle at Green Bay

What stands out for me is their similarities. Both offenses rely primarily on the pass while both defenses are very good against the run and can struggle against the pass. Also, both special teams units are about equal. Bad weather will hurt both teams equally since they both rely more on the passing game than the running game. Still there remain some differences. Despite the poor overall NFL ranking, the Packers can run the football, and I'm sure Mike McCarthy will want to run the football. I'm sure Mike Holmgren wants to run the football just enough to keep the defense honest and sell the play action, but isn't relying on it. The other big difference are the injuries. QB Matt Hasselbeck is banged up with a number of injuries and although he'll play they must have some effect on him. Also, DE Patrick Kerney missed practice on Wednesday with a bad knee so he's not at 100% either. The Packers have some injuries too, but not to players as significant as Hasselbeck and Kerney.

With the home field advantage, a better running game, and players in better health, there is a lot to be excited about on Saturday. The Packers will win but don't expect RB Ryan Grant to carry them to victory by himself.

I keep waiting for Grant to struggle and it hasn't happened yet, although he was knocked out of the last game against Detroit with an injury Mike McCarthy didn't consider serious. He's a tall, Chris Brown/Dorsey Levens/Adrian Peterson-type runner, but those guys usually have trouble with fumbles while he is only credited with one fumble on the season. Where Grant excels is on cutbacks. He's got great vision. The Packers have used the zone blocking scheme for the last two seasons under McCarthy and Grant runs like a Denver-style running back (one cut and go) should. Seattle's run defense reminds me of Chicago's. That's not a knock, both teams had top five run defenses according to Football Outsiders. Bottom line disclaimer: I don't expect Grant will make the difference on Saturday. He will play a part and Seattle's linebackers might bite ******* play action, but I expect the winner will be the team that throws the ball better and has fewer turnovers.

However not everyone agrees with me, and I've been wrong plenty this season: I disagree. I think Grant is the difference in the game. He's the only individual rusher to get over 100 yards against the Vikings. Only LT had a better second half of the season. Every coach on every level of football knows the best way to play defense is to keep the opposing offense on the bench. That's done by rushing the ball. The Packer's zone blocking scheme is extreemly effective against fast, agressive defenses (which describes the Hawks to a T). The GBP will pass to open up the run, but the running game will be the difference here.

Whatever works to bring a playoff victory.

BCheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PappyVanWinkle said:

Good offenses score points. Its jus what they do. I'm not going to go that high, but its not THAT far out of reach.

Seahawks 27
Pack 26

This will be a back and fourth game. Teams will exchange leads 3 times.

BCheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Preview: Seattle at Green Bay

players in better health,

Where did you pick that up??? You are misinformed. Deion Branch is the only key player having a problem and he is a go. Alot of players are a little hurt at this point but Mr. Green Gloves is a go.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: Preview: Seattle at Green Bay

TOPHAT said:
players in better health,

Where did you pick that up??? You are misinformed. Deion Branch is the only key player having a problem and he is a go. Alot of players are a little hurt at this point but Mr. Green Gloves is a go.

You are quoting Brandon's comments in his preview game article who feels that the Packers are healthier. FYI.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Johnnie Gray's strategy

http://www.railbirdcentral.com/2008/01/plan-for-peterson.html#links

The plan for Peterson [active LBs]

Today on Sports Line, a sports talk radio show heard on 107.5 WDUZ fm in Green Bay, hosts Chris Havel and former Packer Johnnie Gray were discussing about how the Packers are going to game plan for Seattle Seahawks Pro Bowl linebacker Julian Peterson. Havel brought up the question, how are the Packers going to account for Peterson who can line up just about anywhere on the field and play with amazing quickness and intensity? Gray's answer was that the Packers will try to line up in their "Big Five" formation with five wide receivers. That, in turn, will force the Seahawks to line up in a dime formation or risk leaving Peterson on the field in a pass coverage situation. Expect the Packers to get a lot out of the Big Five on Saturday. They'll, no doubt, be relying on their running game as well, but this isn't going to be a repeat of the Chicago Bears game. It's goint to be cold, but it isn't going to be as windy. The Packers are going to pass and pass and pass on the Seahawks. In fact, the current issue of the Sporting News tabbed Packers receiver and return man Koren Robinson as one of the playoffs' under-the-radar performers.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers vs Seahawks Preview

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7653044

Holmgren is 1-3 in Lambeau homecoming games, and this is the strongest Packers team he has dealt with since the day he resigned. To make matters worse, the Seahawks don't look ready to pull off many road upsets. Don't let Saturday's 35-14 win against the Redskins fool you. The Seahawks crawled out to a 13-0 lead, but gave up two touchdowns early in the fourth quarter and needed a late comeback to win. They were fortunate to face an injury-riddled team with a 36-year-old scarecrow at quarterback, a sack of flour at right tackle, and a backup defensive end playing tight end. The Seahawks offense allowed the Redskins to hang around, and their secondary made some big mistakes when the pass rush wasn't harassing Todd Collins. The Seahawks must play better on both sides of the ball on Sunday, but the offense in particular must step up. Hasselbeck (nursing a hip injury) cannot afford to keep overthrowing open receivers. Alexander can't treat every tackler like an impenetrable block of granite. Expect an atypically low-scoring game. Patrick Kerney and Julian Peterson won't have the same success against Favre as they did against Collins, but they'll get some pressure and force some vintage Favre miscues. Hasselbeck may find some open receivers, but he'll face constant pressure from the Packers' front seven, and Alexander's indifferent running style will leave the team in lots of third-and-long situations. Saturday's highs are supposed to be in the low 20s — both in points and degrees Fahrenheit. Take the Packers, the better team with better balance, better health, and the home field advantage. They won't need Harris heroics or Hasselbeck histronics to advance to the NFC championship game.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers vs Seahawks Preview

http://packergeeks.wordpress.com/2008/01/09/packers-seahawks/

Packers - Seahawks

Overall, I do not think this will be a very close game. It may be a decent game in the first half, but I think McCarthy’s better team will make the better halftime adjustments and handle the Seahawks. Seattle also is 3-5 on the road this year and away from the 12th man, they play differently. I do foresee Ryan Grant being a significant counter to the rush-happy Seattle defense, limiting the effectiveness of Kerney and Julian Peterson. I’m guessing a fair number of run plays will be called in the first half as well as screens and play action. This will also open up the passing game for Favre which will leave Seattle’s defense guessing. Koren Robinson, Donald Lee and James Jones will have a big games and the special teams on both teams will factor into this game significantly. The Packers need to keep an eye on Patrick Kerney (obviously), but also on Nate Burleson. He is a firey competitor who can burn us on punt/kickoff returns but also as a receiver. My guess is Hasselback will throw at least one pick and the Packers pass rush will awaken and cause a fumble or two. While Packer fans may be concerned re Favre forcing throws too, I think he’ll manage his game well and I don’t think he’ll end up with more than one pick. Shaun Alexander will continue to be mediocre but smile and act like he’s a superstar and Hasselback will continue to be jealous of his brother having a hot wife. Packers 34 - Seattle 16.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts