Packers vs Ravens: Studs and Duds

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The truth of the matter is you had no idea how many snaps Kuhn had played this season and then waffled back and forth about what you meant. But you're not honest enough to admit it.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The truth of the matter is you had no idea how many snaps Kuhn had played this season and then waffled back and forth about what you meant.

I'll say this for the last time. Do try to follow along because what I am about to impart upon you is the crux of the matter. John Kuhn is the Packers' third down back in third and long situations. He calls out blitzes and helps pick them up. That's his job. It's what he does. (I could cite sources for you but I don't feel like wasting time on it. Google is your friend. See for yourself.) He did it against the 49ers. He did it against the Redskins until he got hurt. He did it when the coaching staff felt he was ready to get back to it against the Ravens. Obviously, any moron (well, most morons anyway) can understand that he cannot do that when he is injured.

But you're not honest enough to admit it.

Someone who misquotes and misrepresents as much as you have certainly doesn't need to be lecturing anyone else on the principal of honesty.

You go ahead and think whatever your little heart desires. You're going to anyway. Take a condescending tone with me and I'm going to respond in kind. Have a nice evening.

Last edited:

Oshkoshpackfan

YUT !!!
Reaction score

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I see no further reason to continue on here.
In addition to not being bright enough to understand, "He hasn't this season", you made the moronic comment that if Kuhn picks the ball up more often than not it would have resulted in a TD (because of his blinding speed, no doubt), and now you can’t even stick to what you post for 24 hours. It’s one thing to have a man crush on John Kuhn, it’s another to let it make you look so stupid.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
@ThxJackVainisi and @GoPGo lets get the debate back on track and stop with calling people fools or stupid.
Apologies. I have a tendency to respond in kind when someone starts tossing insults my way.

Oh and there is an ignore feature just in case anyone forgot. ;)
Yes, indeed, thank you Rob. Can you implement a timed ignore feature? I hate putting people permanently on ignore unless I have to but a 48 hour or 1 week ignore might be a good option to have.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Back on track:

I had the pleasure of watching a replay of the Packers win at Baltimore tonight and I paid special attention to John Kuhn’s plays from scrimmage. Here are the facts:

Kuhn’s first appearance in the game occurred with 1:52 left in 1st quarter. On 1st & 10 Kuhn ran for 2 yards. On 2nd & 8 Kuhn chipped a defender and went out for a pass. Kuhn didn’t appear again until the Packers last possession of the first half. Before Kuhn made an appearance from scrimmage the Packers had a 3rd and 16 with Kuhn on the sideline. In addition, he wasn't on the field for:
A 3rd and 7 from the Packers 22 yard line.
The series after the great goal-line stand for a 2nd and 10 and then a 3rd and 10 from the Packers 1 yard line.
The next series inside the Packers 20 yard line including a 2nd & 16 and a 3rd & 9.

He was on the field for 5 consecutive plays on the last series of the first half:
1st & 10 from Packers 49: Kuhn didn’t block & went into the pass pattern. (Nelson big completion to BAL 17 yard line.)
1st & 10: Kuhn didn’t block, he caught a pass for 1 yard gain.
2nd & 9: Kuhn tried to chip block but missed – not his fault the defender took an inside route against Bakhtiari. A holding penalty made it:
2nd & 19: Kuhn stayed in the back field and blocked.
3rd & 19: Kuhn stayed in the back field and blocked.

Second Half:
Kuhn didn’t play from scrimmage until the 4th series. Before then the Packers had 2nd & 8, 1st & 20, 2nd & 20, and a 3rd & 6.
On the fourth series on 2nd & 9 Kuhn didn’t block but caught a pass for 8 yards. That was his only play of the half from scrimmage. After that the Packers had a 2nd & 7, 2nd & 9, and a 3rd & 4 (Finley catch and run to the BAL 21).

He was on the field for 8 plays from scrimmage. He ran once. He went into the pass pattern without blocking three times (catching two passes for a combined 9 yards). He chip blocked once and attempted another and stayed in the backfield twice to block. He was on the field for ONE third down play.

He was not on the field on third down and 16, 7, 10, 9, 6, and 4 yards. He wasn’t on the field for second down and 10, 16, 8, 20, 7, and 9 and he wasn’t on the field for a first and 20.

Those are the facts. Although this is “only” a fan site, I hope the facts still matter.

Commentary: John Kuhn was not the Packers third down back in third and long situations against the Ravens as he only played once on third down. And he has not played that role this season. If Kuhn were Rodgers' protector on obvious passing plays IMO he would have been on the field when the Packers were backed up to their one-half yard line and then one yard line after that fantastic goal line stand. But he wasn't, he was on the sideline in spite of the fact that Rodgers threw twice from his end zone.

H

HardRightEdge

Neal missed three tackles and allowed completions on both passes to players he was covering (mind you, he was only in coverage on 5 plays). I would say that giving up completions on 40% of your coverage snaps is poor. His run defense was also poor.

Not trying to say the guy sucks, he's trying to go from hand in the dirt to standing up so there will be bad games and great games, this was one of the former.

Neal did look bad in coverage, I'll grant you that.

H

HardRightEdge

I think Masthay deserves a mention here. The 52 yard punt to a fair catch from the Packer's 1 yard line was a heck of kick. The 55 yard average on 6 kicks with 2 TBs (on 55 and 60 yard kicks) and 3 no-returns is a pretty good line.

This was important stuff in a field position game.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
No fan of Kuhn nor his big salary, but does anyone think that he's here to do something other than protect AR? His snap count, third down count, YPC all mean nothing. If we didn't go into the season with HUGE question marks on our Oline and only one viable QB on the roster and complete uncertainty about our RBs, he'd be golfing today.

H

HardRightEdge

No fan of Kuhn nor his big salary, but does anyone think that he's here to do something other than protect AR? His snap count, third down count, YPC all mean nothing. If we didn't go into the season with HUGE question marks on our Oline and only one viable QB on the roster and complete uncertainty about our RBs, he'd be golfing today.
Yeah, he's there to lead a young special teams groups, the fumble gaff notwithstanding, and to provide some continuity with the high roster turnover on a very young team.

As others have noted, the issue with Kuhn, as with some other players in recent years (Finley, Hawk) is what we get for what we pay. Kuhn is earning $2.25 million this year. Compare that to Vonta Leech signing with Baltimore for 2 years, $3.75 million this past July.

Kuhn will be a free agent after this season. We'll probably offer him a significantly cheaper contract in keeping with his diminished role. I suspect he'll be willing to stay as his value on the market will be minimal.

Bus Cook

You're never alone with a schizophrenic
Reaction score
Wilmette=>Fontana=>Lake Geneva=>Michigan ugh
Yeah, he's there to lead a young special teams groups, the fumble gaff notwithstanding, and to provide some continuity with the high roster turnover on a very young team.

As others have noted, the issue with Kuhn, as with some other players in recent years (Finley, Hawk) is what we get for what we pay. Kuhn is earning $2.25 million this year. Compare that to Vonta Leech signing with Baltimore for 2 years, $3.75 million this past July.

Kuhn will be a free agent after this season. We'll probably offer him a significantly cheaper contract in keeping with his diminished role. I suspect he'll be willing to stay as his value on the market will be minimal.
I wouldn't want Kuhn for $1 next year. Our RB situation looks good, at this point in time. Lacy can do everything Kuhn can do as a rusher. Our pass pro is looking better too. The line still is ***** but its getting better and Bulaga may give us his average 6 games per season. Also TT will probably draft his 58th and 59th olineman next draft, so I like our PP going forward (not yet, but going forward). Special teams is a place for developement so I don't really see Kuhn as doing anything but keeping other, younger players from getting on the field.
In short, Kuhn has no value at this point. Every rep he takes, is at the expense of someone else, who needs the reps in order to complete the point, that Kuhn is no longer needed.

If you had to find value, it would be that a bunch of drunk, white, folk, like to groan his name.

robdog

Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, indeed, thank you Rob. Can you implement a timed ignore feature? I hate putting people permanently on ignore unless I have to but a 48 hour or 1 week ignore might be a good option to have.

There is no timed ignore feature, but that is not a bad idea. I am going to bring that up to the XenForo community.

12theTruth

Neal did look bad in coverage, I'll grant you that.

Neal has looked uncomfortable in coverage since the preseason. Hopefully things will click for him fairly soon. I wish Capers flashed a few 4-2-5 or 4-3-4 looks while we are perilously thin at OLB. You'd think it'd be a consideration being as we are the 2nd ranked defense against the run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts