Packers vs Rams: Previews & Predictions

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/story/2007/12/13/15254/673

Preview: Green Bay at St. Louis

It's bad times in St. Louis where the injuries have been devastating, the Scott Linehan watch is on, and the loses are piling up. The Packers are favored by 10. St. Louis doesn't do anything well, but their best unit is their pass defense which did a solid job last week against Cincinnati.

Teams FO Ranking NFL Ranking
Packers Rushing Offense 9 23
St. Louis Rushing Defense 26 21

RB Ryan Grant can run the ball and St. Louis is terrible at stopping the run.

St. Louis Rushing Offense 32 25
Packers Rushing Defense 5 12

The Packers run defense just keeps getting better, it shut down Oakland's good run offense last week, and St. Louis is awful running the ball. They haven't gotten any better since RB Steven Jackson returned from his injuries either because he's padded his stats with some big runs while struggling most of the time. He's also lost 4 fumbles on 184 carries.

Packers Passing Offense 5 2
St. Louis Passing Defense 23 17

St. Louis needs their pass defense to shut down one of the best pass offenses in the league and force some big turnovers. Good luck.

St. Louis Passing Offense 26 18
Packers Passing Defense 19 15

The Packers pass defense keeps slipping as the season goes on. Only CB Charles Woodson has been solid this season while everyone else has struggled at some point (or multiple points). It will be hard to tell whether the defense is getting any better during the last two games, at Chicago and vs. Detroit, because the cold weather should limit the pass offenses, so this is the last chance to see if the Packers can't get something figured out before the playoffs. St. Louis' pass offense isn't any good, but they are better if QB Marc Bulger can play on Sunday.

Teams FO Ranking
Packers Special Teams 10
St. Louis Special Teams 29

St. Louis special teams are really bad. The Packers special teams have been making big plays all season long and contributed two TDs in the win last week against Oakland.

St. Louis View of Packers:Greener pastures

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sp...40C651E4A960073E862573B0001A5B29?OpenDocument

A proven star like quarterback Brett Favre (left) does not intimidate head coach Mike McCarthy, who has pushed Favre to improve.

Packers wide receiver Greg Jennings (center) missed two games with a hamstring injury. He recovered in time to have a breakout season, with 11 touchdown catches in 11 games.

Linebacker A.J. Hawk was the team's first-round pick in 2006, but he already has developed into a solid all-around starter.

Ryan Grant came to Green Bay as a sixth-round pick. Seven games ago, he became the Packers' primary running back, averaging 102.4 yards a game.

So how has Green Bay catapulted itself out of mediocrity and into the NFC elite? "I commend their coaching staff for a great job of coaching, No. 1," Linehan said. "Obviously, the players have got to play well. They've played pretty mistake-free offensively, and they've got a great receiving corps — guys that do a lot with the ball after the catch. "And they're starting to run the football. Ryan Grant comes out of nowhere. ... Their defense is very, very solid. Their front four, front seven, is playing great. They've got maybe the best corner tandem in the league." Those are some of the highlights to the Packers' resurgence. So is the revived play of quarterback Brett Favre. "Luck is a big part of this game," Favre told Packers reporters Wednesday. "You lose one guy, if it's the right guy, it can be devastating. ... Even though coaches aren't going to say it, there really are a few guys that are not replaceable."

nathaniel

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why I picked GB by only a field goal. Must be the secret pessimist that still lives inside me from time to time. Haha!

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know why I picked GB by only a field goal. Must be the secret pessimist that still lives inside me from time to time. Haha!

HMMMMM! I FEEL THE SAME AMERICAN WAY.

:USA: :yeah: :agree: :wink: :wink: :rotflmao: :rotflmao:

http://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/packers-need-to-focus/

Packers Need To Focus

Obviously, it’s thrilling that the Packers are going back to the playoffs. The last time a playoff game was played in Lambeau, a Vikings team that everyone expected the Packers to beat, and whom the Packers had swept during the regular season, came into Green Bay and thumped the Packers. Not to mention the fact that McCarthy, while having guided the team superbly this season, has exactly zero playoff games on his resume as head coach, while Jon Gruden and Monte Kiffin have been to the Super Bowl- and won it. Are the Packers the better team? Clearly, which is why they need to focus on the Rams and not get caught up in ridiculous speculation about the playoffs.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/scou...der.espn.go.com/nfl/scouting?gameId=271216014

Rams must score early and control the clock with Jackson

This is a matchup of two teams on the opposite ends of the spectrum. Green Bay has exceeded all expectations in what most thought would be Brett Favre's final year while St. Louis has not come close to what most expected of it. Favre plays each play like it could be his last one and no one wants to miss what could be their final chance to see him play, although he keeps surprising all of us who want to try and predict when he will hang up his cleats. After a very disappointing first half of the season, the Rams have started to show us glimpses of what could have been and what could be in the future once they become healthy again. This could be a high-scoring game that promises to provide lots of big, explosive plays by both teams.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=695637

FIVE THINGS TO WATCH

1.ACTION JACKSON: Green Bay has seen some tremendous running backs this year, most notably Minnesota's Adrian Peterson, San Diego's LaDainian Tomlinson and Philadelphia's Brian Westbrook. St. Louis' Steven Jackson ranks right with that group. Jackson has only run for 719 yards after leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage last year (2,234). But Jackson's offensive line is a mess and he missed four games with a groin injury. Jackson is big, powerful and fast and can give any defense fits.

2. ONE GIANT MESS: The offensive line that St. Louis believed it would go to war with never materialized. In fact, the Rams have different starters than they projected at all five positions due to injury and ineffectiveness. The biggest loss, by far, was Pro Bowl left tackle Orlando Pace, who suffered a torn triceps in the season opener and was lost for the season. The revamped group has struggled in all facets and is a big reason St. Louis' once high-powered attack is averaging just 15.3 points per game.

NOTE: KAMPMAN, KGB, WILLIAMS & JENKINS SHOULD HAVE FIELD DAY!

3. TAKING A BEATING: Rams quarterbacks have been sacked 40 times, the fourth-highest total in the NFL. Starter Marc Bulger has sat out the last two weeks with concussions and backup Gus Frerotte recently suffered a partial tear of his right labrum. That left street free agent Brock Berlin at the helm last week in Cincinnati.

NOTE: LIMELIGHT PLAYING THE PACK BRINGS BULGER BACK!

4. SILENT SUPERSTAR: Rams wideout Torry Holt, nicknamed 'Big Game,' had more receiving yards during his first eight years than anyone in NFL history (10,675). But Holt has never gotten the headlines of a Randy Moss or Terrell Owens. That's too bad, because Holt is not only an amazing talent, but a solid citizen, too. He's having another outstanding season (80-1,034-6) and figures to give Packers cornerback Al Harris trouble all game.

5.EASY TARGETS? St. Louis ranks a mediocre 18th against the pass and cornerback Tye Hill - the Rams' best cover man - recently went on injured reserve (hand). Brett Favre & Co. should find the passing game to their liking.

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers will cover the point spread. I haven't checked the spread yet, but my bet will be in soon.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
ZOMBIESLAYER BONUS: POINT SPREAD

Packers will cover the point spread. I haven't checked the spread yet, but my bet will be in soon.

http://packergeeks.wordpress.com/2007/12/13/week-15-spread-picks-2/

GB @ STL (+9.5)–Tough one. If Bulger plays, which it seems he might, this could be a more difficult game than Packer fans might think. Bulger still throws to Bruce, Holt, McMichael and has Jackson running behind him. This is an important game to show that the Pack is really dominant.

PHILLY @ DAL (-10.5)–Romo, still reveling in his newfound celebrity, was apparently spotted having a romantic dinner for two in Hollywood with Betty White – “we’re just friends, but we’ll see where it goes,” Romo said optimistically.

:pop: :pop: 8) 8)

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: ZOMBIESLAYER BONUS: POINT SPREAD

Zombieslayer said:

http://packergeeks.wordpress.com/2007/12/13/week-15-spread-picks-2/

GB @ STL (+9.5)–Tough one. If Bulger plays, which it seems he might, this could be a more difficult game than Packer fans might think. Bulger still throws to Bruce, Holt, McMichael and has Jackson running behind him. This is an important game to show that the Pack is really dominant.

PHILLY @ DAL (-10.5)–Romo, still reveling in his newfound celebrity, was apparently spotted having a romantic dinner for two in Hollywood with Betty White – “we’re just friends, but we’ll see where it goes,” Romo said optimistically.

:pop: :pop: 8) 8)

Thanks Tophat. I somehow missed the very first sentence in your first post that said 10 points. :oops:

cheesey

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Re: ZOMBIESLAYER BONUS: POINT SPREAD

I can't see the Packers NOT dominating this game.
Besides, by the sound of it, there will be more Packer fans there then Ram fans!

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
FOX VIEW

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7554634?CMP=OTC-K9B140813162&ATT=5

Packers at Rams: The Packers reached the soft, flaky crust of their schedule at just the right time. The team looked vulnerable against the Cowboys, and Brett Favre clearly wasn't 100 percent, but the Raiders' porous run defense and bumbling special teams allowed the Packers to coast to a division-clinching win. This week, they face a Rams team hopeful that Marc Bulger can return from a concussion and free them from the Brock Berlin-Gus Frerotte merry-go-round. The Packers will win, all but assuring a first-round playoff bye.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Favre and Co. are in position to earn the No. 2 seed in the NFC.

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SPORTING NEWS VIEW

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=262617

Packers Keys For Success

1. Feed Ryan Grant. A primary goal for Green Bay in these last three games is to establish the run. With Brett Favre's injuries and the possibility of bad weather, the Packers should use Sunday's game to sharpen their ground game. Grant had a career-high 156 yards rushing last week and has four 100-yard games in the last seven weeks. Grant and Vernand Morency ran the ball 36 times against Oakland last week, and Favre threw only 23 times. The Rams have struggled to stop the run. Defensive coordinator Jim Haslett must take a lot of chances with run blitzes and as a result the Rams could get burned.

2. Pressure the quarterback on every pass play. The Rams either will start a young, inexperienced quarterback who wasn't even drafted (Brock Berlin) or a banged-up veteran (Marc Bulger or Gus Frerotte) behind a shaky offensive line. No matter, the Rams' quarterback will be fragile and/or tentative Sunday. If the Packers control the clock and get a two-score lead, the Rams will have to pass to catch up. The Packers' Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila and Aaron Kampman have combined for 20 1/2 sacks, the most by any defensive end duo in the NFL. The Packers' pass rush poses challenges for any offensive line, so the Rams' transitional unit could have major problems in pass protection.

3. Contain Steven Jackson. Jackson is running hard and has rushed for at least 90 yards in each of the Rams' last four games. He likes to run between the tackles and then break to the outside, where he can beat most defensive backs to the edge. Look for the Packers to bring eight defenders into the box on first and second down, when the Rams want to run Jackson to set up play-action passes. With the Rams' fragile QB situation, the Packers certainly want to force the Rams into passing situations. Jackson will be the Rams' best weapon as a runner and receiver against linebacker coverage. By stopping Jackson, the Packers will create a steady stream of three-and-out drives. The key will be to dominate the lines of scrimmage.

4. Throw deep [keep them honest]. The Packers primarily want to run on Sunday, but they still have an elite passing attack. Favre loves to throw the deep ball. The Rams will play safeties O.J. Atogwe and Corey Chavous in a two-deep shell to keep Jennings and Donald Driver in front of them. The Packers also will drive Lee up the middle seam to freeze the safeties.

5. Contain TE McMichael, especially on seam routes. McMichael is a big, fast tight end who was known for his pass-catching ability in Miami. He knows how to put his big body between the ball and the defender. Safeties Atari Bigby and Nick Collins will focus first first on stopping Jackson. McMichael can be a threat in the vertical seam and help keep the safeties from overloading the box. With Torry Holt and Bruce drawing man-to-man coverage from the cornerbacks, McMichael could blow by linebackers Brady Poppinga and Nick Barnett and force a safety to cover him.

Prediction: Packers 28 Rams 10.

RamsInfiniti

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, alot of arrogance on this board. Read into those numbers all you want, but here's some far more important things for you to consider:

1. St. Louis' "terrible rushing defense" has not allowed a 100 yard rusher in 14 consecutive weeks.
2. Since Week 4, opponents are completing 58% of their passes, for 6.02 YPA, and 68.5 QB rating against St. Louis.
3. Tye Hill is NOT our best cover guy. Fakhir Brown, who has 4 INT and 15 passes defensed, in 9 games is.
4. Bulger is playing in this game.
5. Starting running backs average 70.5 yards and 3.4 YPC against the Rams. Change of pace backs, which you don't have, cause the most damage.

And I hate to say, but if you put 8 or 9 in the box to contain Jackson, you better get edge pressure on Bulger, or you'll be falling behind in a hurry.

Good luck!

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
call it arrogance if you want. you came to packer's message board when the team is 11-2. we're happy as hell. what did you expect?

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
PFW VIEW: GOOD!

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PF...2.15+-+Green+Bay+at+St.+Louis.htm?tab=preview

Overview: With Brett Favre throwing two TD passes and CB Will Blackmon scoring two special-teams TDs, the Packers bounced back from their Week 13 loss in Dallas with a lopsided rout of the Raiders. The Rams failed to get the job done on the road in Cincinnati with third-string QB Brock Berlin forced into emergency starting duty in place of the injured Marc Bulger (concussion).

When the Packers have the ball: Green Bay’s offense has become more balanced lately with RB Ryan Grant complementing the Packers’ lively passing attack. Favre might be tempted to let it all hang out after directing a 445-yard attack vs. the Raiders, but he will be better off taking what the Rams’ defense gives him underneath and letting Grant do his thing against a Rams run defense that surrendered 192 yards rushing to the Bengals.

When the Rams have the ball: Keep close tabs on Bulger, a late scratch last week who has now missed the Rams’ past two games. The Packers’ defense must keep tabs on Rams RB Steven Jackson, who has rushed for at least 90 yards in his last four games. The Rams’ patchwork O-line, which has allowed only one sack the past two games, will be hard-pressed to keep it up vs. Green Bay’s potent pass rush.

Matchup to watch: Green Bay’s multiple-WR sets, featuring Greg Jennings, Donald Driver and James Jones, among others, could pose a real problem for the Rams’ undermanned secondary, particularly on the corners.

Key injuries: For the Packers, check the status of TE Bubba Franks (knee) QB Aaron Rodgers (hamstring), and OT Chad Clifton (shoulder). For the Rams, check the status of QBs Bulger and Gus Frerotte (shoulder), C Brett Romberg (ankle), OT Rob Petitti (concussion) and CB Eric Bassey (knee).

NOTE: SPOILERS ARE SUCH HEADACHES!

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, alot of arrogance on this board. Read into those numbers all you want, but here's some far more important things for you to consider:

1. St. Louis' "terrible rushing defense" has not allowed a 100 yard rusher in 14 consecutive weeks.
2. Since Week 4, opponents are completing 58% of their passes, for 6.02 YPA, and 68.5 QB rating against St. Louis.
3. Tye Hill is NOT our best cover guy. Fakhir Brown, who has 4 INT and 15 passes defensed, in 9 games is.
5. Starting running backs average 70.5 yards and 3.4 YPC against the Rams. Change of pace backs, which you don't have, cause the most damage.

And I hate to say, but if you put 8 or 9 in the box to contain Jackson, you better get edge pressure on Bulger, or you'll be falling behind in a hurry.

Good luck!

Rams - Your RB is good, but your OL doesn't seem to open the holes for him. Thus, you have the 25th ranked rushing O. Your team is pretty bad at scoring points, and your D gives up a lot of points. I'm not saying this to be condescending, I'm looking at it from a gambler's perspective. That's why I'm putting my money on the Packers to cover the spread.

Now, as any gambler knows, anything can happen. You have 2 extremely talented WRs who are late in their careers and still have some juice left in them. Will your OL hold up long enough for Bulger to get the passes off to them? If so, you could score some serious points. From a gambler's perspective, it's not that likely.

Bulger is a very talented QB. Again, no offense, but he'd do much better behind an OL that isn't getting him killed. He's been sacked a lot, and I feel bad for the guy. If he had time, he could hurt us. But I doubt he will have time.

Good luck to your team. I hope there are no injuries on either side.

Obi1

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Good luck!

I hate to say it but if you DON't put 8 players in to block, WHOEVER the Rams QB may be will be buried every play.

As to Bulger, he could and probably will put up some points on offense. How will Bulger stop the Brett Favere led offense? Oh that's right, he CAN'T!

As to arrogance, YOU seem jealous.

Good luck to you guys, though I personally think that this is a closer game than what most people think but last few times I thought that, Packers blew them out 34-0 and 38-7. So I will go wayyyyy out on a limb and say Packers 41, Yams 20.

Oh... Wait a minute! This game is being played in St Louis? The RAMS might just take a page out of the Cowboys strategy! They COULD pay off the referees... GThen it coould go either way.

wils0646

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I really don't understand your point here. It doesn't matter if one person gets 100 yards rushing. If the team against yours rushes for over 100 yards, it's the same thing as one guy doing it. There aren't style points for holding one guy to less than 100. Your team still gives up 115.7 yds/game at a 4.3 yd/carry clip. Not good, sorry. Definitely not as bad as Oakland though.

Week 1:
D. Foster 17/94
D. Williams 15/62
Not a good game for your rush D, even if you held Foster under 100.

Week 3: (This one really proves my point)
E. Graham 8/75
M. Pittman 7/56
C. Williams 12/46
Tampa Bay had 27 carries for 177 at a 6.6 yd/car clip with the 3 main guys. Very bad game for your rush D.

Week 4: (Another one)
J. Jones 13/52
M. Barber 8/50
T. Thompson 8/47
Dallas had 29 carries for 149 at a 5.14 yd/car clip with the 3 main RBs. Another bad game for your rush D.

Week 8:
J. Lewis 17/61
J. Harrison 5/32
J. Wright 4/19
The Browns had 26 carries for 112 yards at a 4.3 yd/car clip with the 3 main guys. A decent game, but still not that good.

My main point is that it doesn't matter if you hold a guy under 100 yards. It's much better if you hold the entire team to less than 100. Plus, many of those teams took out their main RB because they were ahead by so much. So if that counts as "holding" the RB under 100, I guess you may call it that.

I see you guys had a few good games against bad rushing teams. However, the Packers are not really that bad anymore. We are actually one of the top teams the last 7-8 weeks with our running game.

I don't expect Ryan Grant to go for 150 like last week, but I do expect our team to easily get 100 on the ground. Unless Favre is on fire and we keep passing a ton, there's no way your team should stop our running attack. Just my opinion, but there are stats to back it up.

Also, we're not really arrogant...we're just confident and excited the way our young team is playing.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
RamsInfiniti said:

I really don't understand your point here. It doesn't matter if one person gets 100 yards rushing. If the team against yours rushes for over 100 yards, it's the same thing as one guy doing it. There aren't style points for holding one guy to less than 100. Your team still gives up 115.7 yds/game at a 4.3 yd/carry clip. Not good, sorry. Definitely not as bad as Oakland though.

Week 1:
D. Foster 17/94
D. Williams 15/62
Not a good game for your rush D, even if you held Foster under 100.

Week 3: (This one really proves my point)
E. Graham 8/75
M. Pittman 7/56
C. Williams 12/46
Tampa Bay had 27 carries for 177 at a 6.6 yd/car clip with the 3 main guys. Very bad game for your rush D.

Week 4: (Another one)
J. Jones 13/52
M. Barber 8/50
T. Thompson 8/47
Dallas had 29 carries for 149 at a 5.14 yd/car clip with the 3 main RBs. Another bad game for your rush D.

Week 8:
J. Lewis 17/61
J. Harrison 5/32
J. Wright 4/19
The Browns had 26 carries for 112 yards at a 4.3 yd/car clip with the 3 main guys. A decent game, but still not that good.

My main point is that it doesn't matter if you hold a guy under 100 yards. It's much better if you hold the entire team to less than 100. Plus, many of those teams took out their main RB because they were ahead by so much. So if that counts as "holding" the RB under 100, I guess you may call it that.

I see you guys had a few good games against bad rushing teams. However, the Packers are not really that bad anymore. We are actually one of the top teams the last 7-8 weeks with our running game.

I don't expect Ryan Grant to go for 150 like last week, but I do expect our team to easily get 100 on the ground. Unless Favre is on fire and we keep passing a ton, there's no way your team should stop our running attack. Just my opinion, but there are stats to back it up.

Also, we're not really arrogant...we're just confident and excited the way our young team is playing.

EXCELLENT usage of FACTS

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
We have heard we can't run the ball!!

Well as Wil said, we have one of the BEST running games in the last month and a half..

We heard it with Minny, they didnt allow a 100 yard rushers, what happened? only 119 yards

Even tho we lost in Dallas...... Grant was 6 yards form getting 100 yards and at the time Dallas hadnt allowed a 100 yards "rusher" all season..

The Rams D is 5th in Rushing tds given up with 13, the Packers? 31st with only 4 rushing tds given up

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Good luck!

If the Pack put 8 or 9 in the box, do you HONESTLY think Bulger is going to light up the D with your Wr and our secondary?

not to mention, have you seen Kampman, Williams or Jenkins and KGB play?

Kampman has 11 sacks, KGB has 9 and a half. thats good for the 9th and 11th spots in the league

I think that we will get plenty of pressure up front....

Zombieslayer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We have heard we can't run the ball!!

This year:
We've also heard Favre can't throw deep.

We've also heard we can't win in Denver.

We've also heard we can't win in KC.

I kind of like hearing we can't do things.

Since69

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The Rams o-line is a sieve - and it's been decimated by injury. Kampman and KGB will be picking pieces of Bulger out of their facemasks by halftime.

Packers rock, 38-13

OP
OP
T

TOPHAT

Cheesehead
Reaction score
SPORTS NETWORK VIEW

http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.aspx?c=sportsnetwork&page=nfl/scores/live/pv2343.htm

OVERALL ANALYSIS

McCarthy has done an outstanding job with the Packers in 2007, but there is still a lot of work left to do. The same holds true for Favre in his quest to go out on top of the NFL. So far, so good for Favre, who has been getting much-needed help from receivers Jennings and Driver. The NFC North-champion Packers are favored in this matchup and may start out sluggish before getting into gear. Grant will again try to keep the defense honest with his game- breaking ability. Even though St. Louis has a few weapons of its own in Jackson and Holt, it won't be enough to slow down a highly-determined Packers team in the hunt for homefield advantage and a first-round bye. Favre is due for another 300-yard, three-touchdown performance, and the Rams are the perfect bait for that.

Sports Network Predicted Outcome: Packers 33, Rams 16

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts