Packers vs Rams: Preseason Game #2 Thread

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
Desided to make this thread as why not. Hopefully Rodgers plays for a series or two and no one gets hurt.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Tolzien will replace Rodgers so I think he'll get a shot with mostly the first string O. Not sure how I feel about Nelson playing - it may be smarter to hold him out another week since there are other WRs to evaluate.

JBlood

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm becoming a believer in the offensive line. Tretter looks undersized, but seems to hold his own. It's encouraging.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That line better stay healthy because Sherrod looked like *** today. Awful protection from him.....newhouse awful.

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense looked unstoppable. Hope the lack of pass rush is not showing everything we have because Bradford had all day.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
• I was very encouraged by Tretter. I zeroed in on him for the first two series with the starters and I thought he did very well. Even when he got pushed back a bit he got between the DL and the QB or RB. He got pushed back by Sims on the long pass to Quarless and on the second drive near the goal line he got out quick on the LBs but they were already flowing toward the run by Starks to the right, he really didn't have a chance at a block. BTW, I don't think he's undersized. He, EDS, and Wells are all between 302 and 308 (listed weight) and Tretter is a couple inches taller and more athletic. As he gains experience and in years to come more strength, the Packers interior OL could be as good as it's been in a while. In the pregame show, McCarren showed a couple of plays from the Titan's game where Tretter finished blocks by putting the DL on the turf.

• I, like all other Packers fans I'm sure, was deeply disappointed in Sherrod. Holy crap that was bad. If he doesn't turn it around in a big hurry the Packers backup LT is going to be Bulaga and I don't like that idea.

• Rodgers was generally getting the ball out very quickly and I liked the reliance on Lacy for dump off passes on the first drive.

• I was very happy to see Janis replicate his "one big play" per practice with one in the game.

• I was hoping to see the other Rodgers catch a pass, but I don't believe he was the target on even one (almost was on the TD to Cobb).

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I thought Richard caught a TD that was of course called back by one of the 5000 hands to the face calls.
No that was Jordy who caught the TD and a hands to the face call was against Bakhtiari. Later White caught a TD from Tolzien which was reversed because of another hands to the face called on Linsley. I know they said they were going to emphasize pass interference - both offensive and defensive - but they really went after hands to the face.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Our run D impressed me earlier today against the Rams. The Rams OLine isnt a slouch at all and we slammed the door on their first team. I hope that this continues.

Also, Rodgers looked sharp and Peppers made a nice play or two.

I like our chances this year if we stay healthy guys.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Offense looked unstoppable. Hope the lack of pass rush is not showing everything we have because Bradford had all day.

Has Clay Matthews ever even registered a sack in the pre-season? For established vets pre-season is at most a place to work on stuff and at worst a nuisance. I recall that in the 2010 preseason that our pass rush also looked non existent.

easyk83

Cheesehead
Reaction score
• I was very encouraged by Tretter. I zeroed in on him for the first two series with the starters and I thought he did very well. Even when he got pushed back a bit he got between the DL and the QB or RB. He got pushed back by Sims on the long pass to Quarless and on the second drive near the goal line he got out quick on the LBs but they were already flowing toward the run by Starks to the right, he really didn't have a chance at a block. BTW, I don't think he's undersized. He, EDS, and Wells are all between 302 and 308 (listed weight) and Tretter is a couple inches taller and more athletic. As he gains experience and in years to come more strength, the Packers interior OL could be as good as it's been in a while. In the pregame show, McCarren showed a couple of plays from the Titan's game where Tretter finished blocks by putting the DL on the turf.

• I, like all other Packers fans I'm sure, was deeply disappointed in Sherrod. Holy crap that was bad. If he doesn't turn it around in a big hurry the Packers backup LT is going to be Bulaga and I don't like that idea.

• Rodgers was generally getting the ball out very quickly and I liked the reliance on Lacy for dump off passes on the first drive.

• I was very happy to see Janis replicate his "one big play" per practice with one in the game.

• I was hoping to see the other Rodgers catch a pass, but I don't believe he was the target on even one (almost was on the TD to Cobb).

I was none too pleased with Sherrod, but it's not surprising that he had a rough outing. 2 years out of football and then playing on that fast track, it was probably too much of an adjustment for him to make at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if he bounces back in PS games 3 and 4. Besides let's not forget Bulaga's performance in Seattle not too long ago.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score
Our run D impressed me earlier today against the Rams. The Rams OLine isnt a slouch at all and we slammed the door on their first team. I hope that this continues.

Also, Rodgers looked sharp and Peppers made a nice play or two.

I like our chances this year if we stay healthy guys.

Merged with the sticky thread on the game

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Has Clay Matthews ever even registered a sack in the pre-season? For established vets pre-season is at most a place to work on stuff and at worst a nuisance. I recall that in the 2010 preseason that our pass rush also looked non existent.

I'm pretty sure he didn't play in the 2010 preseason.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I was none too pleased with Sherrod, but it's not surprising that he had a rough outing. 2 years out of football and then playing on that fast track, it was probably too much of an adjustment for him to make at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if he bounces back in PS games 3 and 4. Besides let's not forget Bulaga's performance in Seattle not too long ago.
I agree roster decisions shouldn’t be based upon one preseason game but I was surprised by Sherrod’s play because: 1. He was healthy for the entire off season; 2. He played well against the Titans; and 3. It wasn’t just that he played poorly, he was really bad on at least three plays. Yes, the Titan’s DL isn’t as good as the Rams’ and yes the “slow track” helped the OL pass block against the Titans. But a LT who gets beat as quickly as Sherrod did in allowing three sacks (one at RT) is going to get Rodgers killed. Poor Tolzien got hammered twice in the back and once in the chest early in his first series – two of those were Sherrod’s fault and one was Adams – perhaps the #4 OT. Imagine if that were Rodgers.

I’m certainly not calling for Sherrod to get cut, but I’ll stick by my “If he doesn't turn it around in a big hurry…” comment. The good news of course is how well the first team OL played against a good DL and if they all stay healthy all season this is moot. Unfortunately…

Oski

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yup. The first team oline was great and has been great this preseason. Unfortunately it's virtually impossible for the entire starting oline to remain healthy the entire season.

OP
OP
Zartan

Zartan

Cans.wav
Staff member
Reaction score
No that was Jordy who caught the TD and a hands to the face call was against Bakhtiari. Later White caught a TD from Tolzien which was reversed because of another hands to the face called on Linsley. I know they said they were going to emphasize pass interference - both offensive and defensive - but they really went after hands to the face.

Lets not forget the INT from Chris Banjo got called back by Hands to The Face...

H

HardRightEdge

He got beat twice early, I think by #97 Sims both times, then settled in. He had a penalty later, but all-in-all looked OK after the rough start.

Members online

Latest posts