Packers vs Browns Studs and Duds

Shawnsta3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always enjoy these so I thought I'd make one myself.

Studs:
Jarrett Boykin-Stepped up big today and turned out 103 yards and a touchdown

Eddie Lacy- Had 102 total yards today and looked very strong.

Sam Shields- Shut Josh Gordon down to one catch for seven yards.

The LB Unit- Hawk & Lattimore combined for 24 tackles and Palmer and Mulumba both looked well.

Chris Banjo

Duds:
Don Barclay- Struggled with a costly penalty

The Whole Special Teams Unit- Even Tim Masthay struggled..

Last edited:

Poppa San

* Team Owner *
Staff member
Reaction score
Finley started out in beast mode.
Boykin, Shields, and the LBs were all studs.

Agree with the ST duds.
Equipment mgr -- too much slipping around. Like they didn't have deep enough cleats on.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I really don't care for Boykin, but he really played well today. Great to see it!
I don't understand why you wouldn't "care for" Boykin.
He's overcome big odds to even make the team... worked hard, stayed durable.... and made plays when given a chance.
He's now our #2 and just a Jordy Nelson hamstring away from being our #1 primary WR.

Our special teams is PATHETIC. DISGUSTING.
SOFT.

ARPackFan

Knock it off with them negative waves
Reaction score
Boykin showed up to play. Hopefully this is a glimpse of things to come and a one week thing. Finley was having a solid game until the head shot took him out. Defense as a whole played a good game but there are still WTF moments with open receivers.

Jordyruns

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Quarless deserves a dud with all the penalties, didn't see him do anything special for us blocking either.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well other parts of the team are experiencing injuries and didn't play that bad.
MM specifically predicted what would happen today. He said that the injuries would have the most impact on special teams and he was right.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It seems as if every time Finley starts off with a great season, he gets a huge injury (beginning of 2010 and now)
So far this year is turning out just like 2010 except we're winning more games. Injuries allowing our depth players to get valuable experience and veterans being fresh for the playoffs. If this season continues on like 2010 did, I'll be fine with that.

12theTruth

STUDS:

Boykin - bodes well for future hookups with Mr. Rodgers when the missing talent returns
Lacy - tougher sledding today. Browns really stiffened up after the 1st quarter. Over 100 total yards and 1 TD :)
Finley - offense is at a whole other dimension with him in there. Huge gap to the #2 TE
House - Playing with good discipline. INT and key breakup in 4th quarter. We'll see how he performs against a more prolific offense in the future.
Lattimore - the whole LB unit played well but I think Lattimore really shined.

DUDS:

Crosby- that is two consecutive weeks with misses and the weather hasn't even turned yet.
Stonebrenner - Are you kidding me?
OT's - many penalties and especially after the first quarter were bested by their counterparts on the Browns D-line
Tramon Williams - a body slam is going to elicit a penalty flag each and every time.
Coverage Units - Because of the big returns and lack of disciplined play. Even Johnny Jolly lost his head there for a moment.
Special teams coach- Or whoever is responsible for having Masthay kick off. I think its starting to effect his performance as a punter. He had more than one poor punt today. It fine to have Masthay back there kicking off but if his primary responbility of punting starts to become affected then its time to make a switch back.

We're fortunate to have played an inept QB as in Weeden today. Game was much closer than final score.

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Special teams coach- Or whoever is responsible for having Masthay kick off. I think its starting to effect his performance as a punter. He had more than one poor punt today. It fine to have Masthay back there kicking off but if his primary responbility of punting starts to become affected then its time to make a switch back.

I disagree. Masthay has been fine handling both duties thus far. In fact, this is the first game this season that he should even be considered as a dud. Don't forget that punt to the 1yard line today that was called back because of Quarless' dud penalty

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
STUDS:
Crosby- that is two consecutive weeks with misses and the weather hasn't even turned yet.
Tramon Williams - a body slam is going to elicit a penalty flag each and every time.

I have to take issue with these two. Crosby missed it about 2 feet short in a strong headwind that was gusty. That same wind is why Masthay had a short 40 yard punt (roughly) and why Cundiff was able to nearly kick it out of the endzone on a kickoff that same quarter. The weather WAS bad. Wet ball in gusty, unpredictable winds = poor kicking conditions.

As for Williams, from his angle how the hell could he have seen it was dropped? Watch the replay. He has a right to assume the ball was caught. The tackle wouldn't have been a penalty if he had. It shouldn't have been called. Jeff Tripplette is consistently the worst referee in the NFL and has been for years. Why we can't get a decent officiating crew this year is beyond me.

Last edited:

PFanCan

That's MISTER Cheesehead, to you.
Reaction score
Duds

Cleveland Browns. I mean, I would be very disappointed if I was a fan of that team. They couldn't stick with GB, despite GB being without its #1or #2 WR, starting LT, RT, TE ,3 of 4 LBs and Safety and starting how many rookies and UDFAs (including a couple who were just added in the past few days)...?!?!? Yeah, we have Rodgers. That's huge. But, geez, really?

Packer fans... Rejoice. Our favorite team can compete even with third stringers out there. The only downside lately as a fan is having to learn so many new names and numbers. Palmer who? Mulumba what? :)

12theTruth

I disagree. Masthay has been fine handling both duties thus far. In fact, this is the first game this season that he should even be considered as a dud. Don't forget that punt to the 1yard line today that was called back because of Quarless' dud penalty

Yes he has thus far. But maybe fatigue is setting in as tonight he was not his usually self on a whole. Maybe it is just an off game but if a trend develops than its something the coaches will have to at least look at.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Duds

Cleveland Browns. I mean, I would be very disappointed if I was a fan of that team. They couldn't stick with GB, despite GB being without its #1or #2 WR, starting LT, RT, TE ,3 of 4 LBs and Safety and starting how many rookies and UDFAs (including a couple who were just added in the past few days)...?!?!? Yeah, we have Rodgers. That's huge. But, geez, really?

Packer fans... Rejoice. Our favorite team can compete even with third stringers out there.
I agree except I'm not sure why you consider Nelson to be the 3rd best WR on our roster. I tend to think that Nelson and Cobb equally excellent in different ways, tied for #1 and Jones is a close #3.

GoPGo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yes he has thus far. But maybe fatigue is setting in as tonight he was not his usually self on a whole. Maybe it is just an off game but if a trend develops than its something the coaches will have to at least look at.
Tough kicking conditions. Plain and simple. BTW, he did have the 65 yard punt to the 1 yard line that was called back. Not his fault.

Latest posts