Packers-Vikings

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I always thought Culpepper was a middle of the road qb who owed his greatness to having Moss in his prime. However, I never imagined his downfall would be so fast and hard.

fanindaup

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Figures, everyone is willing to complain and laugh about he Vikings not picking Rodgers in the 2005 draft but no one is willing to explain why they should have.

Oh wait, that's right, they had Culpepper. After all, so many teams would draft a QB in the first round after their QB put up the 3 best QB rating ever(at that time), the previous year, was only 28 years old and was in the second year of a 10 year contract. Yeah, let's draft Rodgers in the first round. Makes perfect sense. Done with this.
Raptor this is an example of why I think you're a little touchy when it comes to talking Vikings here. Several people have responded to your requests for a reason the Vikings should or could have drafted Rodgers. First, there is a perception among the rest of us that Culpepper was not an elite QB. In my mind at least he was a product of the pieces around him. He enjoyed playing behind a stout OL, had guys like Robert Smith toting the rock and had the most dominating WR in the game at the time. His stats look great, but I never bought into the idea Culpepper was behind the success. He rode on Moss' coat tails. Believe it or not i always felt that way, and i know a lot of people who agreed with me at that time. Now, several people have tried to explain that position but you keep repeating about who the Packers are drafting to replace Rodgers. That is comparing Rodgers, who most people speak of in terms of perhaps the best in football, to Culpepper, who despite a statistically good year in 2005 I don't remember anyone comparing him to Manning, Favre or Marino. Also, there is something to drafting the best player on the board regardless of position. Even while Favre was on his run, the Packers drafted and developed several QBs who went on to have success elsewhere, such as Brunell, Detmer, Hasselbeck and Brooks. The Packers in fact have attempted to develop some QBs in Rodgers' time but so far the only one they hit on was Flynn. Now, in your defense, it's easy for us to take our shots at the Vikings because we all know how it worked out, just like the Packers taking Mandarich over Sanders. However you did come off as overly defensive on the subject.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I never intended this thread to be a retro look at the Vikings, but here is my impression:

Culpepper was an above average quarterback. He could accurately pass in the pocket but was also a good running threat because of his size and speed. Like every good QB, he had good players around him that helped elevate his play. Certainly Moss was a big part of that, but so was Denny Green's west coast offense. One only has to look at the cess pool of washed up has-beens that played the position under Green to actually see the genius of Denny's offense. Anybody with a marginal arm could excel.

However, the Vikings were doomed by their 1996 and 1997 drafts - similar to our Mike Sherman drafts. They got Moss and Birk out of the 1998 draft and then Culpepper and Kleinsasser in 1999. 2000 was a marginal draft with 2001 sucking again. Green was not good with the draft or public/fan relations and was fired. Chris Carter also left and Korey Stringer died. Through all of this turmoil the Minnesota fans were rewarded with Mike Tice, who was a colossal failure who should get no credit for Culpepper's monster 2004 season.

Culpepper was good in 2000, sucked in 2001, and maybe could blame his poor 2002 season on either his '01 knee injury or the Madden curse. 2003 was pretty good and 2004 was outstanding, followed by a bad 2005 punctuated by his career ending knee destruction. I read on the wikipedia that Brad Childress was quoted as saying that Culpepper and Terrell Owens were the two most self-centered and greedy players that he ever dealt with, always talking about money and contracts and not football and the team.

Culpepper would have continued to be a pretty good QB had the Panthers not torn his knee apart. I wouldn't have drafted another QB at that point either. I would have been working on the defense.

Culpepper was not an elite QB and he probably wasn't the best guy in the locker room, but he was a good NFL quarterback.

12theTruth

Josh Freeman defeated the Packers in his very first NFL start with the Buccaneers. He is slated to start next Sunday night against the Packers. Can he do it again with the Vikings?

This will be a dogfight especially if Finley and the Jones's are still out next week. I wouldn't think that Freeman has had enough time in the Vikings system yet to be an effective performer.

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1- I hate the Vikings more than any team.
#2- I don't like Greg Jennings.
#3- I'm glad they play the Monday night game, give em one less day of prep & recovery
#4- I don't like this game being the Sunday night game as it gives the home crowd and team a little extra buzz.
#5- Finley will be out. So will James Jones again. And Cobb. Missing Finley will be tough, even though I know he has had a lot of haterz in here.
#6- Our conventional run defense has been great this year, but Adrian Peterson is the benchmark. If we can contain him, I can't see them scoring much with no Percy Harvin. We could bury & embarrass them, or they could rise to the occasion, Jared Allen & Everson Griffin could harass Rodgers into some problems... and not enough receivers could lead to some ugliness.
I'd like to bury them like we did to them and to Dallas in 2010.

Passepartout

October Outstanding
Reaction score
Greg Jennings has worn out his welcome with the Packers over his comments! Agree with you in #2!

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think Jones plays, but Finley 100% out. I like that teams have to respect our run game now but i saw something i've never seen in the Rodgers era...teams stack the box and play man to man against our wr's:eek:. I really hope that either Bostic, Quarless, or Stoneburner emerges as a threat at tightend cus i anticiapte Finley missing a significant amount of time.

I'm glad Boykins had a good game and hopefully he emerges as a productive player kinda like James Jones when he first came on the scene. That would really help our offense, i just have no clue who the slot guy is if JJ plays this week? We are going to have to find other methods to manufacture points and i hope to see more Franklin on offense and some splash plays in the return game. Miles White had a catch but other then that he was really a non factor...I honestly would still like to see us make a move to bring in another wr.

Einstein McFly

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It sure would be nice to have Jones back, as our usual advantage on turf seems to be up in the air. Still, this game will be won or lost with our big ugly guys at the line of scrimmage. If we can stop AP we should win, just like almost every other team this year has. If TT and MM and the rest think this game isn't a real threat, we should use it to see what we have with Bostick and Stoneburner and White and the rest of our new guys before we make a rash decision and spend draft picks to get a vet.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It should be a good game. AP is nowhere near the pace that he wanted. The O-line hasn't blocked for him and now Khalil is out, at least for tonight. Freeman could be the difference maker but it's hard to imagine him picking up the offense in two weeks.

Their defense is not what it used to be either, and now their stud Harrison Smith is on IR.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure some will be annoyed at this but Peterson's nickname has always been AD, not AP. It's short for All-Day which his dad gave him because he was hyper as a kid. Pretty sure the AP thing just started from some reporter/fan that misheard AD and assumed it was his initials.

VolvoD

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm sure some will be annoyed at this but Peterson's nickname has always been AD, not AP. It's short for All-Day which his dad gave him because he was hyper as a kid. Pretty sure the AP thing just started from some reporter/fan that misheard AD and assumed it was his initials.

we don't care.

OP
OP
El Guapo

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last time that I checked the math his initials were AP. So he has two monikers. There's no rulebook limiting you to one.

On that note, I really don't like hearing Larry and Wayne calling our quarterback A-Rod. I prefer to keep that one reserved for the D-bag, cheater in pinstripes.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Boy, I am so freakin glad that you cleared this up for me.
I kept thinking that Adrian Peterson was at the A & P All Day!
And I was always like, "Is he now working there as a stock boy? Or does he really go grocery shopping all day? Why would he do that and what is he buying?"
But thanx to you, now I know.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The last time that I checked the math his initials were AP. So he has two monikers. There's no rulebook limiting you to one.

On that note, I really don't like hearing Larry and Wayne calling our quarterback A-Rod. I prefer to keep that one reserved for the D-bag, cheater in pinstripes.
I'm calling him Air-Run.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
#1- I hate the Vikings more than any team.
#2- I don't like Greg Jennings.
#3- I'm glad they play the Monday night game, give em one less day of prep & recovery
#4- I don't like this game being the Sunday night game as it gives the home crowd and team a little extra buzz.
I'd like to bury them like we did to them and to Dallas in 2010.

I agree with these and if I may, I'd like to add in my 2¢ to #4:
Ahem: I don't like it being a Sunday night game because that means that we get Chris Collinsworthless and Al (Whiny-voiced) Michaels as the sportscasters.
If only it was Mon. so that we could have the love of Gruden (He loves everyone but when it's your team, then it matters.) or the NFL Thursday night with Brad Nessler, who IMO, has the best football broadcasting voice right now.
I could listen to him reading from a phone book for hours.

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
I am going to be my usual oddball self and say I still support Jennings. I think his comments are taken out of context and fueled by a rivalry.

That said, I'm very much looking forward to the Packers stomping the Vikings!!! Go get 'em Pack!!!!!

weeds

Fiber deprived old guy.
Reaction score
"Packers Suck" -- he wrote that on a Viking helmet after he autographed it. Seems that the rivalry IS the 'context', but that's just me.

Now, if he had gone Desmond Bishop's way, I could have supported him and even rooted for him. His way was just plain petulant.

Kitten

Feline Cheesehead
Reaction score
"Packers Suck" -- he wrote that on a Viking helmet after he autographed it. Seems that the rivalry IS the 'context', but that's just me.

Now, if he had gone Desmond Bishop's way, I could have supported him and even rooted for him. His way was just plain petulant.

Well if he said that then game on lets get 'em!!!

Members online

Latest posts