Packers-Vikings

RockyRaccoon

Day Tripper
Reaction score
I actually find what he's doing to be more offensive than the things Favre did after leaving the Packers.
I can't believe anyone would feel any different. Jennings has gone out of his way to attack the Rodgers and the Packers. This isn't even close. I don't blame a guy for taking a different job for more money, but it shows a serious lack of class to take shots at your former QB and team without instigation.

As for the helmet, who cares? A fan asked him to sign it that way, so he did. Big deal. That's a hell of a lot different from taking shots through the media.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Did you know in 2005 the Vikings had the opportunity to draft Aaron Rodgers not once but twice.
But instead opted for two studs in Troy Williamson and Erasmus James.
Hindsight being 20/20 of course. Oops:p
Did you know that in 2005 the Vikings thought they had their QB of the future on the team? Daunte Culpepper. Who knew he would be injured and turn into an idiot. It would be like the Packers taking a QB in the first round with one of the first 15 picks to back up Rodgers. Why hasn't that happened? Did you know that many people (talking heads) thought that Troy Williamson was going to be the next Randy Moss? Who knew he had hands made of stone? 50% of all 1st round draft picks are not worth the position they are drafted in. Only problem is, no one knows who is in the 50% that are not going to be busts until several years down the road.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Did you know that in 2005 the Vikings thought they had their QB of the future on the team? Daunte Culpepper. Who knew he would be injured and turn into an idiot. It would be like the Packers taking a QB in the first round with one of the first 15 picks to back up Rodgers. Why hasn't that happened? Did you know that many people (talking heads) thought that Troy Williamson was going to be the next Randy Moss? Who knew he had hands made of stone? 50% of all 1st round draft picks are not worth the position they are drafted in. Only problem is, no one knows who is in the 50% that are not going to be busts until several years down the road.
I think the Vikings were the only people drinking that Daunte Culpepper Kool-Aid in terms of thinking of him as a guy to build a franchise around.

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

Well since your team still hasnt done to much since then, (needed a Packer to get some where near greatness, he wanted to go there, they didnt pick him)

my guess is the front office really sucked?

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think the Vikings were the only people drinking that Daunte Culpepper Kool-Aid in terms of thinking of him as a guy to build a franchise around.
Well, except........
You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Fleeced: Vikings pawn-off Culpepper to Miami for second-round pick
By Len Pasquarelli and John Clayton | ESPN.com -Updated: March 15, 2006, 2:36 PM ET

The Dolphins decided to stop waiting for Chargers quarterback Drew Brees to lower his contract demands and opted to give the Vikings a second-round choice to acquire quarterback Daunte Culpepper.

Brees then agreed to a six-year, $60 million deal with the New Orleans Saints on Tuesday. The deal includes a $10 million signing bonus.

Miami coach Nick Saban revisited the trade talks with the Vikings on Monday, after Dolphins officials determined that the contract demands of Brees were more than they wanted to invest.

Culpepper passed his physical for the Dolphins and Miami scheduled a Wednesday afternoon news conference to introduce their new starting quarterback.

Culpepper had been talking to the Dolphins for the past week, expressing his desire to be with the Dolphins along with showing a willingness to rework his contract to fit into the Dolphins salary cap. Contract talks between the Dolphins and Brees have been stalled because the Saints had more money and more guarantees on the table from the Saints.

Vikings coach Brad Childress said recently Culpepper is on schedule in his rehab from surgery in which he tore three knee ligaments after having a trainer fly to Florida to meet with Culpepper. The recovery time from such major surgery is 12 months, but Culpepper has told the Dolphins that he's ahead of schedule and may be able to play before September.

Brees is coming off January surgery to repair a torn labrum and also a partially torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder. The Dolphins spent much of Monday putting Brees, who is currently rehabilitating the shoulder in Birmingham, Ala., under renowned orthopedist Dr. James Andrews, through a lengthy battery of tests. It is not known how much the results of those tests entered into the decision to pursue Culpepper instead.

Miami released last year's starter, Gus Frerotte, on Tuesday. He would have cost the team $4.38 million against the salary cap this year.

Frerotte went 9-6 as a starter in his only year with Miami, and threw a career-high 18 touchdown passes. The 12-year veteran has played for six NFL teams.

Upset by Culpepper's public attempts to force a divorce, Minnesota determined last week to trade the unhappy quarterback and ratcheted up their dialogue with possible suitors. The situation, however, was so awkwardly handled by both Culpepper and the Vikings that trade talks dragged on, interested franchises came and went, and Minnesota eventually found itself with few options.

Daunte Culpepper Quarterback Minnesota Vikings

2005 SEASON STATISTICS
Att Comp Yds TD Int Rat
216 139 1395 6 12 72.0

In an e-mail last week, the fourth he has sent to Twin Cities and national reporters since last month, Culpepper wrote: "Now that I have confirmed that the Vikings have been seeking to trade me, I have asked for permission to speak to the interested teams. The Vikings have denied my request. If a trade does not happen, then I am asking the Vikings to terminate my contract as soon as possible."

Minnesota was scheduled to pay Culpepper a $6 million roster bonus on March 20 as part of a contract enhancement new owner Zygi Wilf added to the quarterback's existing deal last summer. It remains to be seen how the Dolphins deal with that obligation. Miami almost certainly will want to readjust the contract as part of the trade.

But the contract, which runs through 2013 and pays a base salary of $2 million for this year, was just one of the several elements that complicated the trade negotiations with several teams.

Culpepper, 29, continues to rehabilitate his right knee and, while he is said to have made substantial progress in his recovery, the injury was a severe one. Culpepper tore three ligaments in the knee in an Oct. 30 game at Carolina and has been rehabilitating in the Orlando, Fla., area. First-year Vikings head coach Brad Childress would have preferred that Culpepper continue his rehabilitation at the team's facility.

It was not immediately known if the Dolphins did any preliminary examination of Culpepper's knee.

In addition, Culpepper still faces misdemeanor charges related to the so-called "Love Boat" scandal of last September, an incident allegedly involving some Vikings teammates. And, finally, Culpepper split during this offseason with longtime agent Mason Ashe, and has been representing himself. He may need to hire representation to help him deal with the Dolphins in any contract restructuring.

Culpepper's base salaries for the seasons after this one rise dramatically, to $5.5 million in 2007 and $6 million each for 2008-2009.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That 2005 Vikings draft was ALL TIME HORRIBLE. I love it.

It's worse than us taking Vonnie Holliday over Randy Moss in 1998.
It's almost as bad, but not as bad, as us taking another interior lineman in 1989 instead of who I wanted, future HOF OLB Derrick Thomas, or future HOF Barry Sanders, who would have been the best pick.

Then there's the 2011 Draft for the Vikings.

#12 overall, Minnesota: QB Christian Ponder, Florida St.
#35 overall, Cincinnati: QB Andy Dalton, TCU
#36 overall, San Francisco: QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada

(Dammit, we took Derek Sherrod at #32..... could have become a great bookend LT for a decade....)

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2005 Dolphins were starting Gus Frerotte. I'd agree with the thinking that Culpepper, when healthy, was a better QB than Frerotte. I don't think they made the trade thinking that he was "the answer" at QB. But I'm not an NFl exec, nor was I part of the brain trust that pursued that trade. 05 - 08 seasons I wasn't really following that closely because of my military service so my knowledge of those years and player performances are limited.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I can't and don't blame Jennings for feeling the way he feels. I believe, firmly, that emotions are what they are. You feel how you feel. It's instinctual. But part of being a professional is not letting emotion get in the way of good judgment. He continues to make himself look like a chump and make the Vikings look like chumps for signing him. Greg, take it from me, when you're rejected rule #1 is don't give them the satisfaction of knowing how bad it hurts. Put on your bigboy pants, shut your mouth, and stop reinforcing how good of a decision it was to dump your ***. You're making this entirely too easy!!

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Well since your team still hasnt done to much since then, (needed a Packer to get some where near greatness, he wanted to go there, they didnt pick him)

my guess is the front office really sucked?
Well, that "triangle of Authority" stuff was more like the "Triangle of stupidity". Childress had way to much power as coach.

Culpepper at the beginning of 2005 was considered to be a top QB. In 2003/04 he put up real good numbers. His QB rating for 2004 was 110.9, surpassed only by Payton Manning's 121.1. So, if your 28 year old QB is coming off a year with a 110.9 rating, throwing 39 TD's to 11 Int's, drafting a QB in the first round to replace him is not on top of you list.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
2005 Dolphins were starting Gus Frerotte. I'd agree with the thinking that Culpepper, when healthy, was a better QB than Frerotte. I don't think they made the trade thinking that he was "the answer" at QB.
Yes they did..... they were turning over their QB to either Drew Brees, whom San Diego was letting go in favor of the youngster Rivers, or else Culpepper.

They didn't want to give Brees that much coming off a shoulder injury, although coach Nick Saban claims he wanted Brees badly, not Culepper. Some say that move from management is what soured him from the NFL.

I grew up in Minnesota and moved away in the end of the 2005 summer. Some of my buddies have some connections to the Vikings and 2 of them always told me Culpepper was a fraud, a terrible person and teammate, and an overrated player who had the greatest show on turf around him, but would always struggle against a good defense. These guys madew a lot of money betting against him when facing a good defense.

Anyway, that's not to absolve the Vikings of anything as I love their 2005 Draft! Gives me chills still to this day because we and they are still reaping the ramifications of that Draft. I just wish we still had Nick Collins dammit.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Yes they did..... they were turning over their QB to either Drew Brees, whom San Diego was letting go in favor of the youngster Rivers, or else Culpepper.

They didn't want to give Brees that much coming off a shoulder injury, although coach Nick Saban claims he wanted Brees badly, not Culepper. Some say that move from management is what soured him from the NFL.

I grew up in Minnesota and moved away in the end of the 2005 summer. Some of my buddies have some connections to the Vikings and 2 of them always told me Culpepper was a fraud, a terrible person and teammate, and an overrated player who had the greatest show on turf around him, but would always struggle against a good defense. These guys madew a lot of money betting against him when facing a good defense.

Anyway, that's not to absolve the Vikings of anything as I love their 2005 Draft! Gives me chills still to this day because we and they are still reaping the ramifications of that Draft. I just wish we still had Nick Collins dammit.

What ramifications are the Vikings suffering from? The fact that they didn't draft Rodgers? Give me a freaking break. If that's the case, I should see the Packer use their first round draft pick in 2014 on a QB to replace Rodgers.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What ramifications are the Vikings suffering from? The fact that they didn't draft Rodgers? Give me a freaking break. If that's the case, I should see the Packer use their first round draft pick in 2014 on a QB to replace Rodgers.
2nd round QB to replace Wallace.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What ramifications are the Vikings suffering from?
Are you kidding me?
Suffering?

Let's see, Ponder, Rosenfels, Tarvarris (another great QB reach draft pick), Favre, who else have you tried to patch in there since Rodgers was drafted?

Those are ramifications. Settle on one QB for awhile.... it's always patchwork there.... a guy for a year or two, then another, another, another, another.....

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the suffering. I enjoy keeping the Lombardi Trophy count at a perfect goose-egg there.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Are you kidding me?
Suffering?

Let's see, Ponder, Rosenfels, Tarvarris (another great QB reach draft pick), Favre, who else have you tried to patch in there since Rodgers was drafted?

Those are ramifications. Settle on one QB for awhile.... it's always patchwork there.... a guy for a year or two, then another, another, another, another.....

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the suffering. I enjoy keeping the Lombardi Trophy count at a perfect goose-egg there.
Tell me, why would a team use a first round pick on a QB when there QB just finished the best season of his career? Answer that question.

Then, please enlighten me as to why the Vikings should have done it in 2005 yet you don't hold the Packers to the same standard of drafting QB's. So tell me, who will the Packer's be drafting this year at QB in the first round? After all, shouldn't they be looking for Rodgers replacement like the Vikings were supposed to be doing in 2005. According to you.

Green Bay was in the right spot at the right time, picked a QB thinking that Favre was going to retire in the next few years, he was 35 at the time.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tell me, why would a team use a first round pick on a QB when there QB just finished the best season of his career? Answer that question.

Then, please enlighten me as to why the Vikings should have done it in 2005 yet you don't hold the Packers to the same standard of drafting QB's. So tell me, who will the Packer's be drafting this year at QB in the first round? After all, shouldn't they be looking for Rodgers replacement like the Vikings were supposed to be doing in 2005. According to you.

Green Bay was in the right spot at the right time, picked a QB thinking that Favre was going to retire in the next few years, he was 35 at the time.
You're completely ignoring the fact that the Vikings do not, and did not, have an elite level QB. Rodgers is 29, give it a few years and we'll draft his "heir apparent". Your contention is down right silly.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
You're completely ignoring the fact that the Vikings do not, and did not, have an elite level QB. Rodgers is 29, give it a few years and we'll draft his "heir apparent". Your contention is down right silly.
So tell me, why would the Vikings have drafted Rodgers in 2005 when Culpepper who was 28 at the time had just had the best year of his career, 39 tds, 11 interception, 4700+ yards and a 110.9 QB rating? Why would they have taken a QB in the first round.

My contention that the Packers should be drafting Rodgers replacement is silly? But the Vikings drafting Rodgers would have made perfect sense. Right?

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So tell me, why would the Vikings have drafted Rodgers in 2005 when Culpepper who was 28 at the time had just had the best year of his career, 39 tds, 11 interception, 4700+ yards and a 110.9 QB rating? Why would they have taken a QB in the first round.

My contention that the Packers should be drafting Rodgers replacement is silly? But the Vikings drafting Rodgers would have made perfect sense. Right?
Yes, Culpepper was a high level mid tier QB at best. Everyone was able to see that but the Vikings. There is an obvious difference between Culpepper and Rodgers to even try to compare the two is down right ridiculous.

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Yes, Culpepper was a high level mid tier QB at best. Everyone was able to see that but the Vikings. There is an obvious difference between Culpepper and Rodgers to even try to compare the two is down right ridiculous.
Not trying to compare them. And BTW, at the time, Rodgers was an unknown commodity. Remember 50% of 1st round QB's are busts.

Answer the question. Why would a team with a 28 year old QB that had 39 tds, 11 ints, 4,700+ yards and a 110.9 rating in 2004 draft a QB in the first round of the 2005 draft?

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not trying to compare them. And BTW, at the time, Rodgers was an unknown commodity. Remember 50% of 1st round QB's are busts.

Answer the question. Why would a team with a 28 year old QB that had 39 tds, 11 ints, 4,700+ yards and a 110.9 rating in 2004 draft a QB in the first round of the 2005 draft?
Because that QB was Daunte Culpepper. I have answered the question, you just don't like my answer. And you are trying to compare Rodgers and Culpepper. By saying that the Packers should be trying for a 1st round QB this draft completely ignores the difference in skill between the two as well as the situation the team is/ was in.

Last edited:

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Because that QB was Daunte Culpepper. I have answered the question, you just don't like my answer. And you are trying to compare Rodgers and Culpepper. By saying that the Packers should be trying for a 1st round QB this draft completely ignores the difference in skill between the two as well as the situation the team is/ was in.
I don't believe it, actually I do. No one in 2005 could have predicted the down turn of events for Culpepper. Yet you sit here 8 years later pretending that everyone knew he would not do well after the season he had, and that Rodgers was going to be the type of QB he is. So, tell me then, which QB in the 2015 class is going to be a HOF QB? And which QB that did well the last 3 years is going to fail this year or the next. Because it's obvious to me now that Packer fans and Packer management have some kind of sixth sense as to which QB's are going to be good and which QB's that have 110.9 ratings are going to fail.

NorthWestCheeseHead

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't believe it, actually I do. No one in 2005 could have predicted the down turn of events for Culpepper. Yet you sit here 8 years later pretending that everyone knew he would not do well after the season he had, and that Rodgers was going to be the type of QB he is. So, tell me then, which QB in the 2015 class is going to be a HOF QB? And which QB that did well the last 3 years is going to fail this year or the next. Because it's obvious to me now that Packer fans and Packer management have some kind of sixth sense as to which QB's are going to be good and which QB's that have 110.9 ratings are going to fail.
uhhhh, I always thought that about Daunte Culpepper, but if you want to contend that I only formed the opinion 8 years after the fact ... well I have no way to prove otherwise except with my words. As for future QB's, I really couldn't tell you as I don't watch college football. QB's on the down turn I'll throw out Brady and Eli as probably having bad years.

bozz_2006

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What did culpepper do other than stand behind that admittedly fantastic offensive line and heave it up to Moss, dump it underneath when moss was tripled? Bowled people over. Yeah, no reason to draft a replacement there as we know the shelf life has no expiration date for quarterbacks who rely on running over linebackers and heaving it as far as they can to one guy.

If i were Randy, I think i'd be knocking on Daunte's front door demanding half of his social security checks, because you know he's the one reason those checks are going to be that fat in the first place.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Favre was still better than Culpooper then, just old. Anyway, that would have been a stroke of genius by the Grape Apes to do that, nobody would have expected it. I love how they totally reached for a track guy with bad hands anyway.

I like this recent draft better though. Let's focus on the reach from Tallahassee, Mr Sam Steele!
Whoops.

2011 Draft for the Vikings.
#12 overall, Minnesota: QB Christian Ponder, Florida St.
#35 overall, Cincinnati: QB Andy Dalton, TCU
#36 overall, San Francisco: QB Colin Kaepernick, Nevada

Raptorman

Vikings fan since 1966.
Reaction score
Figures, everyone is willing to complain and laugh about he Vikings not picking Rodgers in the 2005 draft but no one is willing to explain why they should have.

Oh wait, that's right, they had Culpepper. After all, so many teams would draft a QB in the first round after their QB put up the 3 best QB rating ever(at that time), the previous year, was only 28 years old and was in the second year of a 10 year contract. Yeah, let's draft Rodgers in the first round. Makes perfect sense. Done with this.

Members online

Latest posts