Packers Uniforms and Ron Wolf

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Just found this interesting blog about the history of the Packers' uniforms and how Ron Wolf almost decided to change them in 1993. Personally I wish the Pack would go back to the Blue and Gold uniforms the Pack wore in the 30's and 40's to show how important the pre-Lombardi days were. Just my opinion though. Ron Wolf's 1993 idea is weird to see.

The Wearing Of the Green (and Gold): The Uniform Change That Wasn't

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I had heard that before...

The current Packers' colors are already a tradition.

I'm all for doing one game a year with the blue uniform. I like it a lot.

But the Green and Gold should never change. Add straps or remove straps. That's it. But do not change the uniform.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I realize you weren't here for it, but we've done this topic before, I think. I remember being appalled once in the past by Ron Wolf's proposed atrocity.

I would never change their current uniforms. Ever. They're class all the way.

Those literally gold helmet jerseys look like Notre Dame's alternate green jerseys. Like, exactly like them.

Tecmo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I didn't like the proposed uniform, but if you take their current uniform and just change the yellow to metallic gold, leave stripes and everything, I think that would look great.

Can't change it now though. If you win championships in separate eras with 1 uniform design, you cannot mess with it.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
If it ain't broke don't fix it. And right now it ain't broke.
Besides, isn't the green for Green Bay?
If it was Blue Bay then I could see changing it.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
The Packers were nicknamed the Baby Blues in their infancy. I really think for one game a year the blue and gold uniforms would be an appropriate homage to the rich history of the greatest professional sports franchise in the world.

nelanator

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Pro football was hardly even relevant in the pre-Lombardi days. It's only relevant to the teams that won championships way back then so that they have something to grasp at to hang their hat on. It wasn't until the 50's and television that people really cared about pro football.

And there is no reason to change the Packers uniforms. I don't care for the color scheme but it is one of those simple designs that works well enough that you don't ever really have to change it. And once it has been around long enough you just can't change it out of tradition. Off the top of my head there are only six uniforms in pro sports that I can think of that you can say that about - the Packers, the Raiders, the Yankees, the St. Louis Cardinals, the Celtics and the Montreal Canadiens.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Pro football was hardly even relevant in the pre-Lombardi days. It's only relevant to the teams that won championships way back then so that they have something to grasp at to hang their hat on. It wasn't until the 50's and television that people really cared about pro football.

And there is no reason to change the Packers uniforms. I don't care for the color scheme but it is one of those simple designs that works well enough that you don't ever really have to change it. And once it has been around long enough you just can't change it out of tradition. Off the top of my head there are only six uniforms in pro sports that I can think of that you can say that about - the Packers, the Raiders, the Yankees, the St. Louis Cardinals, the Celtics and the Montreal Canadiens.

Are you claiming that George Halas, Curly Lambeau, Don Hudson, and other NFL legends are irrelevant? Don Hudson still holds several NFL receiving records. Would you claim that baseball was irrelevant before Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig? Just because something happened before you were born doesn't make it irrelevant. The Packers are the greatest franchise in the history of this league. Claiming that the men that made the Packers and the NFL what it is today in its formative years are irrelevant is not fair.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
On second thought, I support your blue and gold unis idea for one game a year, as a tribute. Bring some legends back, put a commemorative patch on the uni, tribute at halftime, it could be cool. No more than that, though.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
I support the notion of one game played with throwback uniforms, preferably a Thanksgiving game, or Halloween game. The Packers are one of the oldest teams in the NFL and it wouldn't be bad to celebrate their history at least one game a year. Plus the NFL has been pushing alternative uniforms for marketing reasons, and I prefer the blue and gold uniforms to the yellow alts that they tried to sell.

As for the current uniforms and changing them, only the yellow to a yellow gold, like actually gold, not brass like the saints, or the pale gold of the 49'rs. Though with the new jersey materials being used they may have to do something about the stripes.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
On second thought, I support your blue and gold unis idea for one game a year, as a tribute. Bring some legends back, put a commemorative patch on the uni, tribute at halftime, it could be cool. No more than that, though.

It would be perfect for Holiday games. Thanksgiving, Christmas Eve....

I also really liked the throwback uniforms from the Lombardi era they wore on Thanksgiving in '03.

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
As do I. That looks pretty badass.

If they want to change permanently to that, I would support it. It's a small change and it keeps the basics of the uniform the same, but it still looks cool. A few years ago the Colts went from blue facemasks back to gray and I think it's a big improvement.

Tim S.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I say if they would change anything ....I say maybe the pants have an alternate pair, White with three stripes down the sides. Green-Yellow-Green.

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It could be worse.
We could have been stuck with the powder blue and white of the Titans.
Or the Tootsie Roll look of the Browns.
Or the purple with the wierd font for numbers of the Ravens.
Or pewter pants like the Cowboys.
I'll stick with the green/yellow.

And the Cards?
The red and white is nice but it looks terrible with the red on top and the rest white for their away uniforms.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I actually like the Browns uniforms. In the same way I like Penn State's uniforms. Straight class.

These are the worst of the worst:

Forget Favre

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I actually like the Browns uniforms. In the same way I like Penn State's uniforms. Straight class.

These are the worst of the worst:
I think the Browns could put something on the helmet. Like a CB.
Of course then everyone will start calling them the "Charlie Browns of the NFL" who will never win anything.

I agree with ya there on the Seahawks green. I wasn't aware of that.
Excuse me while I go wash out my eyes now.

OP
OP
AllouezPackerFan

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
Those seahawks uniforms are horrible. The Seahawks, Buccaneers, Falcons, Panthers, Jaguars, and Titans are by far the ugliest in the league.

I really want the Pack to go back to the gray facemasks, and the stripes down the side of the pants.

Does anyone remember the throwbacks they wore on thanksgiving in '01? I think it was '01. The all yellow helmets with no logo, gray facemask, all white jersey, and canvas colored pants. They were interesting.....

I really would love to see some sort of throw back uniform for one game every year.

Clay's Jock Strap

TRK's Hero
Reaction score
Just found this interesting blog about the history of the Packers' uniforms and how Ron Wolf almost decided to change them in 1993. Personally I wish the Pack would go back to the Blue and Gold uniforms the Pack wore in the 30's and 40's to show how important the pre-Lombardi days were. Just my opinion though. Ron Wolf's 1993 idea is weird to see.

The Wearing Of the Green (and Gold): The Uniform Change That Wasn't

I remember when RW floated the idea of going to a Notre Dame look (different shade of green and metallic gold). Glad he didn't - Our unis are perfect.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts