Packers trade up - Clay Matthews

pack4life

Cheesehead
Reaction score
From sports illustrated:

The Packers trade with New England in order to get back up into the first round and get an outside linebacker to play opposite Aaron Kampman in Dom Capers' new 3-4 defense. The addition of Matthews and B.J. Raji gives the Pack two projected starters to inject into a defense that took a significant step back in 2008. Packers GM Ted Thompson gave up a lot with three picks in rounds two and three, but it will be worth it if Matthews continues the meteoric progression of his career, which started as a walk-on at USC.

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
I love it. We got our NT and our outside linebacker today. I couldn't have asked for a better day one. I know that I wasn't the only one tempted to be rooting for us to take Crabtree, but in hindsight i'm glad we didn't. In the past i've been critical of TT's first round picks, this year though, I give him an A+. Absolutely fantastic draft this year.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
How many of you where here the last time the Packers played 3-4 ??? Same BS we had great backers and one great D-lineman.

I don't like giving up that much and go on record saying it will haunt us.

FrozenTundra1979

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'll go on record saying this was a great draft day move. So we lost a 3rd rounder and dropped a 3rd to a 5th. lets looks at what we missed during 73-109 when we picked T.J. Lang and truthfully tell me that we aren't better off getting Matthews for any combination of these 2 guys:

OT Robert Brewster - Ball State
OLB DeAndrew Levy - Wisconsin
OT Kraig Urbik - Wisconsin
DT Roy Miller - Texas
DL Corvey Irvin - Georgia
OLB Tyrone McKenzie - South Florida
DT Dorrell Scott - Clemson
DT Henry Melton - Texas

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
How many of you where here the last time the Packers played 3-4 ??? Same BS we had great backers and one great D-lineman.

I think TT wanted to sleep in for the early part of Day 2. I like the Raji pick & Matthews may surprise us. I wouldn't pencil Matthews as starter (as the quoted SI article stated) just yet. Popp & Chillar, not to mention Hunter & Thompson are all competing for that spot.

Maybe this is insurance in case Kampman is trade bait. I mean, TT traded up into the 1st round. Now I know ANYTHING can happen.

Dizzle498

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I have seen Clay Matthews play several times at USC, he is an athletic freak. He will be a better backer than Cushing who went before him. He has great instincts, he has been around football his whole life, and he was a consistent standout at USC where it is not so easy to do that. I love this pick, even if it cost us a little bit.

Reaction score
the scout on packers . com says clay has the frame to get up to 280, 290 but they are not going to do that's how they can add weight maybe up to upper 250s maybe 260 so he can do better against o linemen

SpartaChris

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I love when people resurrect old threads, because you find gems like this! LOL!

Members online

Latest posts