Cheesehead
Reaction score
http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/apr05/314874.asp

Striking a safety match
Freeman could help fill hole
By TOM SILVERSTEIN
[email protected]
Posted: April 2, 2005
The Green Bay Packers have bided their time during the first month of free agency, taking an almost nonchalant attitude toward restocking a gaping hole in their defensive backfield.

However, next week they will make their first serious effort at replacing departed free safety Darren Sharper and Co. when they bring Miami Dolphins free agent Arturo Freeman to town. Drew Rosenhaus, the agent for the 28-year-old Freeman, said his client was expected in Green Bay late next week.

Freeman started 29 of 72 games under defensive coordinator Jim Bates, who in January turned down an offer to return to the Dolphins in the same capacity and instead accepted Packers coach Mike Sherman's offer to direct his defense.

Under Bates, the 6-foot-1, 210-pound Freeman started about twice as many games at strong safety as he did at free safety, and was the teams' top free safety the final seven games of the year after former Packer Antuan Edwards was released. Freeman, who started nine games in all, finished tied for the club lead with four interceptions.

Freeman would provide the Packers valuable insurance if they were unable to land a safety in the draft who could start immediately. Since free agency started, the Packers cut Sharper and Michael Hawthorne and allowed Bhawoh Jue to leave in free agency, leaving starter Mark Roman as the only safety left with any reasonable playing experience.

If the Packers can lure Freeman to Green Bay, they would have someone who could run Bates' system and make sure others were in tune with it. In his five years in the league, Freeman doesn't have playmaker-type numbers, totaling just five interceptions, 3

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Okay BOLD prediction here :)

he signs with pack
supplants roman
pack drafts thomas davis who takes over for sharper

pack = sb bound! heh heh <-- ok that part is wishful thinkin but id like to see the previous lines hold up

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
When I first saw the topic title I thought it was Antonio Freeman. :shock:

I don't think this would be a bad idea provided he doesn't cost too much.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
RG's right - money is still the primary issue with the Pack.
On top of that - tonite's homepage for the Packers shows they just re-signed Ben Steele, on the coattails of re-signing Najeh (Sofa) Davenport.... both of these moves are good signings and will keep the Packers up to challenging the Division all throughout the Season.

Is there any video clips of Arturo that a Fan could review from last season, anywhere? Two things here -
1)He also played Cornerback in his Senior year (that's a good thing to see on a Resume')
2)What's this, no one else appears to be chasin' the guy(???)

Is there an injury history to be worried about here?
Can someone post a link for historical stats on the guy?

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Thanks, RG - I'm right in the middle of rebuilding everything on the Home network right now and spare time is non-existent. I should have all five PCs and the new Server setup by this weekend - then I can get my web design box built. Looking for a laptop now...

I'll be back with more later...

LOREN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
that would be great, however lets get back to reality,

please name any decent free agent who has ever signed with gbay since reggie white

go ahead , ill wait

exactly, no one, unless they are willing to pay greatly over market price for this guy, there sno reason for him to break the streak

i have read countless time where this or that guy has been to gbay on a visit and signs shortly after with some other team

i am still convinced that gbay is in a money problem, why else would they let so many guys leave.

please dont recite--its salary cap problems, gbay and tennessee are the only two teams that are lame enough to get into salary cap trouble

no one else seems to be involved in a salary cap

i dont have fact one abpout the reason or the $$ figures, but seriously, why let all those guys just leave that could actualy help the team

wanna save some cash, but 94 and 97, who would notice they werent playing

loren

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Freeman Visits - from www.KFFL.com
Sat, 9 Apr 2005 09:06:44 -0700

Updating a previous report, Rob Demovsky, of PackersNews.com, reports the Green Bay Packers met with free agent S Arturo Freeman (Dolphins) Friday, April 8. However, there was no indication that his signing was imminent.

I hope a deal is struck cause this guy would be a great help in an unexperienced secondary.....meaning FS an SS.....also meaning Thomas and Roman....if Thomas is moved to safety.

Cheezy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well Slcik I heard it from a couple of sites.... most of them says Bates or i think Sherman wants to try Thomas out at safety. But they're just experimenting it.

rabidgopher04

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They should sign Freeman and trade Roman for a 5th or 6th rounder and move Thomas to safety. Then maybe with that late round draft pick they could get a decent db that would develop over a couple years.

LOREN

Cheesehead
Reaction score
rabidgopher04 said:
Someone who needs a backup

isnt there a number of guys of his quality avaible for free every year

either undrafted, or free agents, or waiver wire names

why do you think he was avaible when he signed with green bay

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts