Packers To Retire Favre's No. 4 In 2008

Status
Not open for further replies.

Packers_Fan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
A piece of news that's no surprise to Packers fans or anyone around the NFL, Green Bay Packers President and CEO Mark Murphy confirmed on Wednesday that the team will retire quarterback Brett Favre's jersey number, 4, sometime during the upcoming season.

"I would say it was a no-brainer," Murphy said, speaking to a small group of reporters in the Lambeau Field Atrium late Wednesday. "Obviously what Brett's done for the Packers and for the league as a whole, it was a pretty easy decision to retire his number.

"I really don't have details worked out. Once we get the schedule, we'll take a look at it and figure out the best way to honor him."

The NFL schedule is expected to be released sometime in early April, but Murphy did not put a timetable on when the number retirement ceremony would be announced.

Murphy said he spoke to Favre briefly a short time after the legendary quarterback held his retirement press conference on March 6, and Favre was on board with the idea of retiring the number this season. Murphy said a date would be chosen that fits the Packers' schedule as well as the Favres'.

"I think he's looking forward to it, and it will be a great day for the Packers," Murphy said.

When Favre's number is retired, he will become the sixth player in team history to receive the honor, joining Don Hutson (14), Tony Canadeo (3), Bart Starr (15), Ray Nitschke (66) and Reggie White (92).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest posts