Packers the mystery team

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Now that the season has begun and the roster is set for now, it's a good time to look at the "real" Green Bay Packers.

Beginning with the playoff loss, Favre's retirement, the draft, limited free agency, mini-camps, Favre almost returns, injuries in training camp, Monday night was the first time you saw what the 2008 team will play like.

When I watch, I keep expecting one of Forrest Gregg's or LIndy Infante's teams, but they keep playing like one of Holmgren or Lombardi's teams. I don't know in my lifetime(fan since 1960) that I've experienced a team that on paper looks mediocre, but continually plays over it's collective head.

McGinn and the other beat writers keep saying how good these players are, and yet they are very close to being the youngest team in the league again. They barely missed a beat after playing a game for the first time in nearly two decades with a new QB. The offensive line is hurt, moved around, yet dominates the most feared D-line in the league.

The defense is hurt, moved around, and yet allows little damage from one of the most feared running backs in the league.

The special teams, long an afterthought and mostly useless, proved to be the winning edge.

I can't get a grip on this team. They should stink, yet they play so well....together. I think that is the key.

My theory is the changes happened to create a cohesive team approach. I've done a complete 180 on Ted Thompson, who upon reflection, has done a remarkable job to put together a team that will be competitive for many years. McCarthy is a bit bland, but has produced a tough squad, who will slug it out with anyone, but isn't 'macho tough and blatantly stupid' like Oakland.

The Packers have a brutal schedule, but with all the speed bumps, seem to be running along just fine. I've never seen a team like the one last year and this in all of my 48 years as a fan.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
I think they are a blue collar work your tail off team. Coach Mac has them playing that underdog /no respect role ...there young and want to prove that there not just a one year wonder. Most folks think that the Favre fiasco hurt the team. I say they are out to prove that it was more then just Favre last year. They are motivated and goal driven.....pretty good recipe for success.

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's a little "deja vu" all over again. Last season the Packers' "miracle year" started with an "ugly" upset win at Lambeau over the Eagles. With the defense and special teams playing the decisive role.
Now we get another "ugly" win in an opener over an opponent that's been highly rated - though probably overrated - in most of the preseason prognistications. Again, the defense and special teams are decisive.
Last year the offense caught up in the second week at New York and developed into one of the league's best. Perhaps we see a more impressive offensive show in Detroit this week.
As long as injuries don't intrude enough to change the fundamental complexion & character of this team, they repeat as NFC North champions with at least 10 wins, maybe 11.

wizard 87

Old Enough To Know Better
Reaction score
Packerlifer said:
It's a little "deja vu" all over again. Last season the Packers' "miracle year" started with an "ugly" upset win at Lambeau over the Eagles. With the defense and special teams playing the decisive role.
Now we get another "ugly" win in an opener over an opponent that's been highly rated - though probably overrated - in most of the preseason prognostications. Again, the defense and special teams are decisive.
Last year the offense caught up in the second week at New York and developed into one of the league's best. Perhaps we see a more impressive offensive show in Detroit this week.
As long as injuries don't intrude enough to change the fundamental complexion & character of this team, they repeat as NFC North champions with at least 10 wins, maybe 11.
Very well stated.... this team has a very special character too it. I believe your win total is correct and that they may pull a few upsets along the way....watch the Dallas game close ;)

Packerlifer

Cheesehead
Reaction score
It's interesting you should mention the Dallas game in Week 3. Last year, after surprising with the wins over the Eagles at home and the Giants on the road, the Packers returned to Lambeau to knock off San Diego, which beforehand looked like an opponent they'd have no chance against.
Dallas is "everybody's pick" in the NFC this season but the history of the Pack beating them in Green Bay is there.
A lot in that game may relate to how the Cowboys do on MOnday night vs. the Eagles at home. If Dallas wins that one they may be liable to an upset on a short week following. If they lose, though, they'll come into Lambeau mad and determined not to lose again.

starr15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
the first game isnt always the best week to tell the character of a team forr 2 reasons
1. teh refs are eager
2.the teams are eager and sometimes over excited which leads to a problematic team(sometimes)

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts