Packers swagger

whoartthou

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'l agree with the fan bases...I'm from New Hampshire but have moved around enough to hate being in New England / New York strictly because of the fans. But disliking a guy because he lives a 'rock star' life seems silly to me. I can't say that if I was rich and ultra successful I wouldn't be out (pardon the language) banging models left and right and jet setting around the globe. He doesn't throw teammates under the bus, he is very PC when he speaks. Never really saying anything that is cocky or arrogant. People just look at him and say...I hate that guy and go from there.

As for the 49ers...the 80's and 90's are two different animals. ESPN really changed the media into a 24 hours nitpick everything always in your face sports. Many people never even watched the 49ers play accept on their big games (monday, Playoffs, etc). Now we all see everything. We get the highlights every day for a week straight. It's hard to compare those eras because it is hard to hate a team if you never even see them.

Which man would not? Seriously, if you are as good looking/succesful/rich as brady is, i am sure most men would do be doing some crazy doings (and brady is very humble of a dood).

Montana was hated by plenty...

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Enough Brady....

Back to the Pack swag and Aaron's swagaliciousness ;)

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
I just moved away from Bears territory in July. My friends back home still write "Rodgers sucks, the Packers suck" on facebook on a regular basis.
Good. Bear fans are supposed to "hate" on the Packers and their fans and Packers fans are supposed to reciprocate in kind. (I don't really mean "hate" as I save that emotion for those who kill innocent people. I'm talking about "sports hate" here.) The last thing I'd want is Bears or Vikings fans kissing up to the Packers - that would be worse than the ordinary band wagon jumper or fair weather fan.

What made winning the NFC Title in Chicago so great last year? To gain the respect of Bears fans? Hell no. On top of earning the trip to the Super Bowl, it was fantastic because we got to stick their nose in their pile of crap and rub it in. So my advice is to enjoy your friends hating on the Packers. The more they hate, the browner their noses and the wider your smile!

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
People didn't take too kindly to his title belt thing for a while, whining that he shouldn't do it because he hadn't won anything. Now that he's won the Super Bowl, it's a bitter pill for them to swallow.

But I think the thing that angers people the most about Rodgers is that he IS a humble guy. He never takes credit for wins in his interviews, always crediting the team. And he always accepts the blame, just like a true leader. People want him to be arrogant and cocky, and the fact that he isn't just drives them nuts. They take his humility for arrogance.

Eh well. Haters are gonna hate. Just the way it is.
Exactly. Too many idiots just see the move and think it's ******.

They don't know that it's an inside joke from the time he was on the scout team, because he's a big WWE fan.

Arrogance? Rodgers was asked why he was performing so well know, and what did he say? Because the receivers were making more plays, because the protection was greatly improved. He said that it was easy when he threw 20 yard completions that turn into 93 yard TDs.

Rodgers NEVER talks about himself in the 3rd person, NEVER compliments himself, is ALWAYS complimenting others. He does take A LOT of jabs against the media and some players, but that's not arrogance, that's vengeance. Rodgers is the most vindictive player I've known, he has the memory of an elephant. And he hates fake people.

But, like Jules said, it's not arrogance, it's swagger. After winning the SB it's evindent the increase in swagger, and every successful QB has it. A shy QB is a bad QB.

This postgame conference exemplifies what I'm saying. The incredible memory and the humbleness. Where's the so-called arrogance? And his receivers dropped a lot of balls, he was even asked about that, but he didn't blame them.

http://www.packers.com/media-center...xt-level/2faa0aa1-9810-4b10-8a8f-1027c797db14

Reaction score
First off.............Jules, I believe you are an official Packer's fan!
It's funny how people perceive players in a certain light. I think that Rodger's is down to earth, and yes, he does have a swagger, but he's earned it. Fans from opposing teams need something talk about, good or bad they need to spout off.
Whats really silly is how a Packer fan can not compliment or say how good Favre was. They will immediately be ridiculed with "Get over it, he left the Packers long ago" or "You guy's just can't get past that he doesn't play for you any more".
Oh well, on Monday I just want the headlines to read "Packers Pound Pathetic Ponder" Packers 47 Vikings 6.
And yes, I remain..................Trapped In Vikingville.

Bogart

Duke Mantee
Reaction score
I have heard it before, and it makes me laugh.

If anyone is arrogant it's the Jets. All they do is talk like they are the best team and they haven't won anything.

Green Bay is a team that walks it instead of talking it.

BTW Jules is what this board needed all along; a highly intelligent open minded individual that is the fan of another team lol

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
First off.............Jules, I believe you are an official Packer's fan!
It's funny how people perceive players in a certain light. I think that Rodger's is down to earth, and yes, he does have a swagger, but he's earned it. Fans from opposing teams need something talk about, good or bad they need to spout off.
Whats really silly is how a Packer fan can not compliment or say how good Favre was. They will immediately be ridiculed with "Get over it, he left the Packers long ago" or "You guy's just can't get past that he doesn't play for you any more".
Oh well, on Monday I just want the headlines to read "Packers Pound Pathetic Ponder" Packers 47 Vikings 6.
And yes, I remain..................Trapped In Vikingville.

I have always liked the Packers. A second team in a way to me I guess at times? I started to follow you guys more again in the last few seasons due to Rodgers, whom I adore. My heart belongs to the Colts but I admire/respect/very much like the Packers. Rodgers helps a lot though. :) He makes your team easy to root for.

Since we are not in contention I hope the Packers can repeat in our stadium. I was rooting for you guys last year too when the Colts got eliminated.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I have heard it before, and it makes me laugh.

If anyone is arrogant it's the Jets. All they do is talk like they are the best team and they haven't won anything.

Green Bay is a team that walks it instead of talking it.

BTW Jules is what this board needed all along; a highly intelligent open minded individual that is the fan of another team lol

Thank you, I appreciate it. I joined up here before the SB to wish you guys luck and to say you would win. I get bored talking to AFC fans. Just because the Colts are out does not mean I don't love watching the NFL.

You guys are all really friendly and knowledgeable too.

greenandgold

I'm Dirty Hairy Callahan
Reaction score
People often mistake confidence for arrogance. Rodgers is a confident guy with a chip on his shoulder. And who can blame him he was passed up in the draft by a lot of teams and even to this day people still deny that he's any good.

Especially Bears fans.

DevilDon

Inclement Weather Fan
Reaction score
I have always liked the Packers. A second team in a way to me I guess at times? I started to follow you guys more again in the last few seasons due to Rodgers, whom I adore. My heart belongs to the Colts but I admire/respect/very much like the Packers. Rodgers helps a lot though. :) He makes your team easy to root for.

Since we are not in contention I hope the Packers can repeat in our stadium. I was rooting for you guys last year too when the Colts got eliminated.
I know what you mean. I used to follow the Chargers when I lived out there in the AirCoryell days. I'm not a fan of the Colts but I can tell you that I'm a fan of the city. I've been there for races and conventions and Indianapolis is one fine place to visit. Great midwestern folks. If you've never visited I highly recommend it.
I think alot of the hate and anger at players is a media thing. Back in the day you watched Joe Montana play and the announcers would talk highly of him but that was it until next week. There was nowhere near the media attention this game has now. So when the Patriots win and it's all Patriots all the time on every web site or channel it just makes you sick to hear it. I imagine fans of other teams are tired of hearing about Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. It's actually nice that they are doing as well as they are because the media has nothing to talk about.
I still remember my first taste of monetary success, the company had a session on how to deal with family and friends' envy. People like success but they want it for themselves. No big surprise. Imagine the letdown 9ers fans will feel when they realize for the second time that Alex Smith isn't Aaron Rodgers... it's like getting kicked TWICE.
But here's the best question about people hating other team's athletes: Why does everbody like Peyton Manning?

Skarecrow

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Ok, this thread looks like the place for me to get this off my chest...

Rodgers only does the belt when HE RUNS IN FOR THE TD HIMSELF. One of the biggest pet peeves of mine is hearing other fans (in either real life or on other forums) complaining that Aaron does the belt for, I quote, "ever time they get a first down". And do they listen to you when you correct them? Of course not, because they "see him do it all the time". Of course when you simply say, "hey, all your favorite team has to do is stop him from running into the end zone and you won't see it". And then you are an arrogant Packer fan. Well, I might not be able to win but at lest my Packers can, and that is ok with me.

Murgen

MechaPackzilla
Reaction score
When your the SB champs.... everybody is out to get you. As far as I'm concerned, until they crown another SB champion other than you...you have a right to have some swagger/arrogance....whatever.

I was in pittsburgh this week and I have to say I was treated pretty well by the Steeler fans even after they found out I was a Packer fan. They only had good things to say about Rodgers.

Powarun

Big Bay Blues fan
Reaction score
When your the SB champs.... everybody is out to get you. As far as I'm concerned, until they crown another SB champion other than you...you have a right to have some swagger/arrogance....whatever.

I was in pittsburgh this week and I have to say I was treated pretty well by the Steeler fans even after they found out I was a Packer fan. They only had good things to say about Rodgers.
Just wait till those Steeler fans go online. OMG This Packer fan was in Steel City and was totally rubbing their win in our faces. Like we still have more Lombardi's though. Screw their championships, since we didn't get one they don't count.

I know not all are bad, but they left a horrible rancid taste in my mouth.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
I know what you mean. I used to follow the Chargers when I lived out there in the AirCoryell days. I'm not a fan of the Colts but I can tell you that I'm a fan of the city. I've been there for races and conventions and Indianapolis is one fine place to visit. Great midwestern folks. If you've never visited I highly recommend it.
I think alot of the hate and anger at players is a media thing. Back in the day you watched Joe Montana play and the announcers would talk highly of him but that was it until next week. There was nowhere near the media attention this game has now. So when the Patriots win and it's all Patriots all the time on every web site or channel it just makes you sick to hear it. I imagine fans of other teams are tired of hearing about Aaron Rodgers and the Packers. It's actually nice that they are doing as well as they are because the media has nothing to talk about.
I still remember my first taste of monetary success, the company had a session on how to deal with family and friends' envy. People like success but they want it for themselves. No big surprise. Imagine the letdown 9ers fans will feel when they realize for the second time that Alex Smith isn't Aaron Rodgers... it's like getting kicked TWICE.
But here's the best question about people hating other team's athletes: Why does everbody like Peyton Manning?

Yeah I am from Indiana.

As for why everyone likes Peyton are you sure about that? ;)I have seen people say they can't stand him as a person or think he has been overrated/overhyped. None of it bothers me though. I don't expect everyone to like him.

I think in his earlier years Peyton rubbed people more the wrong way. As he has gotten older and matured I feel he has become more likable and more rival fans started to respect him. He is funny and is honestly a total dork half the time. How can you not have loved him on SNL too? That skit with the kids was hilarious.

He is a good southern guy who married his college sweet heart. They had twins this offseason too.

He took most of the blame for last season as well with the picks and some of the games we had. Not sure what was wrong at times but I had a hunch he was hurting a bit. Picks at times are normal but some of the throws were just God awful for his standards...Word was his arm would at times go numb. In fact, I heard a rumor that in August of this year he could not even grip a football before his second surgery. I hope the best for him and hope he can come back. It's tough to watch the AFC South too, it's painfully beatable.

OP
OP
Jules

Jules

The Colts Fan
Reaction score
Ok, this thread looks like the place for me to get this off my chest...

Rodgers only does the belt when HE RUNS IN FOR THE TD HIMSELF. One of the biggest pet peeves of mine is hearing other fans (in either real life or on other forums) complaining that Aaron does the belt for, I quote, "ever time they get a first down". And do they listen to you when you correct them? Of course not, because they "see him do it all the time". Of course when you simply say, "hey, all your favorite team has to do is stop him from running into the end zone and you won't see it". And then you are an arrogant Packer fan. Well, I might not be able to win but at lest my Packers can, and that is ok with me.

True. I sometimes think people act like he does it all the time.

I think it's cute though. I see nothing wrong with having a little fun. I can say this, as SB champs I don't see a hangover so far. The team seems hungry enough to me. I think I read a comment from Rodgers in the offseason when he talked about every decade having that team and he wanted the Packers to be this decade's team.

WhiteHouseOn3

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Good. Bear fans are supposed to "hate" on the Packers and their fans and Packers fans are supposed to reciprocate in kind. (I don't really mean "hate" as I save that emotion for those who kill innocent people. I'm talking about "sports hate" here.) The last thing I'd want is Bears or Vikings fans kissing up to the Packers - that would be worse than the ordinary band wagon jumper or fair weather fan.

What made winning the NFC Title in Chicago so great last year? To gain the respect of Bears fans? Hell no. On top of earning the trip to the Super Bowl, it was fantastic because we got to stick their nose in their pile of crap and rub it in. So my advice is to enjoy your friends hating on the Packers. The more they hate, the browner their noses and the wider your smile!

True.. it's just the tire slashing I don't appreciate :p Trust me, it has been dead silent in the windy city since January 23. I LOVE wearing my jersey around town, us being undefeated at this point, and them sucking as usual, this has gotta be the WORST season to be a bears fan!!

fettpett

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm in disagreement with many on this board about Finely, I think the guy is extremely confident in his abilities and says as much, sometimes he says stuff that is just dumb, but that doesn't detract from who he is. Frankly I don't mind a bit of cockiness either, Finely's a Team guy, but he also wants to make plays and have the ball. Before all his crap in 2007 I would have said the same thing about Favre, who till that point was epitome of what I thought a Packer player should be, Team comes first, do everything to help the team win both on and off the field, while still being sure in himself and his abilities.

neilfii

Hall of Fame Fan
Reaction score
None of us is in the locker room or even with the team enough to really know or answer this debate about Finley. I think Finley is as skilled as any player in the league and I love his talent and his ability. However, and I know that it is cliche by now, but there is no "I" in team. "I" think we need to find a way to beat the double team. "I" think we need to get the ball into the hands of our playmaker. "I" think, "I" think, "I" think .... This is not TEAM first and this is not confidence or cockiness; this is selfishness. If anyone on the team has the right to say stuff like this it would be Driver, but he doesn't because he at least seems to be a truly "team first" player.
Perhaps it is not as bad in the locker room or in private, we really don't know, but his public comments on Twitter and otherwise are AT BEST a distraction. IMHO if he is truly a team first player he needs to keep (at least his public) mouth shut.

realcaliforniacheese

A-Rods Boss
Reaction score
Aw Screw em, Screw em all. This team is about as humble as it can be. It is truly a Team. Our most outspoken player is Finley and If you put him on a scale with the outspoken guys on other teams he's at the bottom.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
Here’s what McCarthy had to say about Finley in a jsonline article in March of this year:

"I love that kid, man," McCarthy said. "He's so competitive, and he loves to play football. He makes us a better football team. Not just because of his ability and his uniqueness, but also his competitive spirit. We missed him from a competitive standpoint. That guy loves to perform. Every day. In everything we do."

Finley also has been willing to speak his mind on a variety of subjects, including how it's best to utilize him. "See, Jermichael publicly and when he's in the building is not the same," said McCarthy. "His persona and some of the things he does with his messaging is not the guy that we work with. He's a team guy that wants the football and (will do) whatever it takes to win."

The last paragraph is the key IMO. I don’t know if Jermichael will get a new contract or not. But if he doesn’t I’ll bet the reasons will be money and cap space, pure and simple. I’m hoping the Packer-favorable deals Thompson did with Jones and Nelson make extending Finley more likely. The Packers have loaded up at the TE position but none of them create the matchup nightmare for defenses that Finley does with his combination of size, speed and hands. I think fewer than a handful do league-wide. And yes, in spite of his drops this season, we’ve read Silverstein, McGinn, and others write he has the best hands on the team and I believe it. In the four full games he played last season, he didn’t have a drop.

Where Finley needs work is being more assignment sure. Jason Wilde hosts “Tuesdays with Aaron” (a “must listen” for Packers fans IMO – here’s a link to the podcasts) and recently I heard Rodgers say the one thing that really bothers him are mental errors by his teammates. He said physical errors like drops are going to happen but there’s no excuse for not being completely prepared. (IMO one of Aaron’s great qualities is how much time he puts into preparation.) That’s why Aaron called Finley out this year, even after his 3 TD game vs. the Bears:

“I think the mental mistakes are the ones that I believe can be cured through preparation,” Rodgers said Wednesday. “And as gifted and talented as that boy is—and he’s an incredibly talented man, the big fellow—I think he needs to tighten it up a little bit with some of the mental mistakes.”

Having said that, Rodgers also acknowledged that Finley can score even on plays where he doesn’t quite get his assignment right. “You have to kind of understand, you’re dealing with an extremely gifted player,” Rodgers said. “So we’re talking about one or two plays. But I think he can be great, and I wouldn’t be saying that if I didn’t believe he could be one of the greatest tight ends to ever line it up.”

The last clause of the last sentence is extremely high praise from a QB who, if he continues to play as he has, will be one of the greatest to ever line up at his position. IMO we always have to be careful quoting coaches and teammates as they praise players on their teams. However the number of times Finley is targeted vs. other TEs is objective evidence of how the coaching staff and QB feel about him. And while we shouldn’t expect the HC or the QB to bash a player on the team, there’s no reason for them to be so ebullient in their praise if they didn’t believe it. That’s particularly true of the HC’s praise in Finley’s contract year.

thepackers1fan4

Pack attack 4 ever!
Reaction score
Rodgers isn't cocky let the man put on his belt he deserves it! as for Finley he is a bit cocky.
But hey everyone can be cocky or arrogant at times let them have there fun

Members online

Latest posts