Packers sign Tavaress King?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He reminds me of Hines Ward...shaved head and from Georgia and kinda looks the same body wise. He kinda looks a little like tupac.

Sunshine885500

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Again there is a reason why Elway likes King. His game is much like Rod Smith! Almost like a reincarnation (Physical, Not Drafted in comparison to a 5th Round pick, & a Hard Worker). Football lovers watch all and enjoy!

Rod Smith Highlights:

You must be logged in to see this image or video!

Though I don't like the words in this video it is the sign of the times today:

Tavaress King Highlights:

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Tavaress King Highlights:

Looks good, a lot of GREAT passes I noticed... is that Aaron Murray at QB for most of them?
He's gonna be a 1st round pick next year.

I just want guys who can learn the routes and run at least some plays properly.
It takes a lot of time to get the playbook down and in sync with the QB.
At least Boykin and Jeremy Ross had all last year plus this year, training camp.
I would expect Rodgers would rather have them here and now than anyone from the outside who doesn't know this playbook.

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Bedtime Update on Packers WR search:

FROM TWITTER Mike Klis ‏@MikeKlis 8h

-Talked to Tavarres King, who's on Broncos practice squad. GB has offered 53-man roster opportunity. But Broncos would like to keep him,

-As of now Broncos don't have 53-man roster spot available.

-As of now WR Tavarres King is still a Bronco. Packers want him on 53 but Broncos trying to keep him. May not know til tomorrow.

-Tavarres King is rookie from Georgia, Broncos' 5th round pick. He was surprise cut but he cleared waivers and made it to PS.

-Practice squad salary is $5,700/week -- $96,900 for 17-week season. But teams can pay PS players more if it helps keep them.

-Broncos' practice squader Tavarres King on Packers 53-man offer: “I’d like to stay here. But we’re talking about a spot on the 53. It’s a business. We’re still trying to sort it all out. We probably won’t know until (Tuesday) morning.’’

Remember when someone tried to sign away Boykin or Gurley off our practice squads (Diondre Borel? Where he at now?) and the Packers bumped their practice squad pays and they chose to stay?

That's what it sounds like is going on in Denver. And the brother wants to say there, doesn't want to come to the village Green Bay.
We'll see....

Our new 2 WR's have to play though, NOW. Not sit and learn.
I would hope and expect we bring 2 guys in TODAY who can play this week.

Less talent or whatever, they have to know what the hell is going on. Right away.

Who does that leave?

Tyrone Walker?
Jeremy Ross?
Brett Swain?
Tori Gurley?
Shaky Smithson?
Donald Driver?
Bill Schroeder?
Andre Rison?

longtimefan

Staff member
Reaction score

FrankRizzo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
This guy barely knows the Broncos playbook after studying it since April.
He wouldn't help us for months. We need help now.

Like it or not, we have to bring in someone now who knows our playbook.
You can't have guys running wrong routes.

H

HardRightEdge

This guy barely knows the Broncos playbook after studying it since April.
He wouldn't help us for months. We need help now.

Like it or not, we have to bring in someone now who knows our playbook.
You can't have guys running wrong routes.

It's not just the playbook. QB/receiver chemistry is frequently commented on in passing as a factor, but generally given short shrift.

First, receivers in the NFL run a lot of option routes. The days of "run 10 yards and cut out" are a thing of the past. They have to read the defense as the QB does...they have to be on the same page.

Second, the QB needs to know his receivers strengths, weaknesses and peculiarities. For example, Nelson's speed is early and late, with a glide in the middle. Jones is mediocre off the line, has unremarkable long speed, but he gets separation deep on the strength of a powerful 2nd. and 3rd. gear. Cobb is deadly in space, not so reliable in tight coverage. This stuff matters...a lot...with timing in a game where the margin for error is quite small.

Third, the best receivers know their opponents. If a guy sees the DB set up for the inside and he's seen the guy has not-so-quick hips on tape, the outside option route will look promising...to him and his QB...if they are both well prepared and just plain football-smart. This is what preparation and game planning is about; finding weaknesses to prey on. About once every couple of years a rookie receiver comes along who is so physically gifted he can go out thinking, "I'll do what I do, he can do what he does, and I'll win" without having polished his game (Moss, Green). That's rare indeed.

Add it all up and it should be no secret why WRs typically don't hit their stride until the 3rd. year, even the first round picks.

A guy like King might get a few snaps without being the primary on any of them if Jones can't go, but realistically a signing like this is just filling an emergency backup role in case somebody else gets hurt. Without Jones, look for a heavy dose of Nelson/Boykin/Finley in the 3-wide. 2-wide might be somebody's offense, but it's not ours.

El Guapo

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Hard to disagree with anything you said HRE, but those option routes only develop once those players are getting into their second but mostly third and fourth years. Those rookies are still running defined routes until they learn the nuances. You can plug someone onto the field with the same stick-in-the-dirt mentality of yesteryear as long as Nelson, Finley, and Boykin are running the main routes.

H

HardRightEdge

Hard to disagree with anything you said HRE, but those option routes only develop once those players are getting into their second but mostly third and fourth years. Those rookies are still running defined routes until they learn the nuances. You can plug someone onto the field with the same stick-in-the-dirt mentality of yesteryear as long as Nelson, Finley, and Boykin are running the main routes.

I don't disagree with that. Even Nelson going into last season was having more options built into his route tree.

I guess I should have put a finer point on it with an "exclusively" thrown in. You're not running exclusively "ten up then to the post" fixed routes unless you're a bit player, highly situational, a decoy and/or low in the progression. You can't be a #1, #2 or #3 on a team that runs mostly 3 wide without some developed route skills.

So, a King-type player is a problem as a #3.

7thFloorRA

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Obviously I would love to have both of them playing every game but this could still be a blessing in disguise. Now instead of having maybe 200 plays, 20 formations and 6 packages to pick from maybe they will have a heightened focus on fewer, more specific bread and butter plays/formations. I think having too big of a playbook can be a detriment. It just adds so much more variability.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts