Packers sign OG Tupe Peko

dannychau22

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Packers | Team signs Peko
Fri, 28 Jul 2006 14:58:41 -0700

The Green Bay Packers announced the signing of free agent OG Tupe Peko (Texans). Terms of the deal were not disclosed

Anyone know of this guy?

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Typical bargain basement, off the rack, signing by TT who probably won't produce.

TT is collecting quite a few of these types of "signings". Anyone remember Taco Wallace?

For the life of me, I can't understand why he doesn't go after legitimate talent like Jerry Porter.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Typical bargain basement, off the rack, signing by TT who probably won't produce.

TT is collecting quite a few of these types of "signings". Anyone remember Taco Wallace?

For the life of me, I can't understand why he doesn't go after legitimate talent like Jerry Porter.

He doesnt want to give up two 1st rd picks for a talent who is over priced for his production. Porter in six years has never caught more than 80 passes, racked up 1000 yards receiving or even scored double digit TD's in one season.

I'm not ripping on Porter, he has good stats, but not for someone who would cost you two 1st rd picks.

A solid backup and 3rd for him I could see happening.

TomAllen

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, i'm just concerned about our depth (or lack of depth) at the WR position.

Besides Driver, I just don't see another impact player, and that will lead to problems this year!

(Plus, the Texans had the worst line in the NFL the last few years, so how good could Tupe (Taco Wallace) Peko be if he couldn't crack into the line-up and the Houston Texans let him go?)

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
TomAllen said:
Well, i'm just concerned about our depth (or lack of depth) at the WR position.

Besides Driver, I just don't see another impact player, and that will lead to problems this year!

(Plus, the Texans had the worst line in the NFL the last few years, so how good could Tupe (Taco Wallace) Peko be if they let him go?)

I'm in the same boat with ya on that WR depth concern. I'm really pulling for our rookie Jennings and Gardner though with hopes of trading Ferguson for a pack of travel kleenex.

I'm not saying Peko will be a stud, but the point of taking players others drop for cheap is because you never know. I mean we did get Gado that way so its really not much of a loss it only brings competition.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Popcynical said:
He hasn't started since 2004, I believe. But even if he was a fairly decent guard, would we know his name anyways?

true. gotta like adding another man to the oline fight. dont wanna get STUCK with a guy like Klemm, wanna have options!

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
true. gotta like adding another man to the oline fight. dont wanna get STUCK with a guy like Klemm, wanna have options!

Give me a break...

The Texan's O-Line was (and possibly still is) the worst in the league. This guy didn't even start for them last year. Now can you please explain the logic as to why he should be considered better than Klemm? I am not going to say Klemm is quality or even close, but there is absolutely no reason I can see why you would automatically assume he is better than what we have... unless of course it is simply because TT signed him. :roll: We may not want to be "stuck" with a guy like Klemm, but I don't think being stuck with a benchwarmer of the Texan's O-line is any kind of improvement. Christ, at least Klemm started last year. :-?

Bottom line: If the Texans cut him, we don't need him.

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
So TT should spend the $$$ at WR instead of CB? Would you rather have Donald Driver and Eric Moulds or Al Harris and Charles Woodson. Frankly I'll take a good set of Corners any day. They're wasn't much out there at WR in the Draft or in Free Agency. Worse in years.. Lloyd was traded to Washington. Randel El was overpaid by Washington. Moulds is good but would only be a rent me like player and isn't the WR he once was. Only WR that I think worth a big contract this year was Terrell Owens. I would of went for him but his deal would have to be incentive base and do you want a player like TO on your team with a rookie Head Coach? Tough call.

You can't buy a championship, you have too build one. You can't build a championship in one year either. Last year Thompson's signings were low market free agents but he was able to set us up cap wise that we could sign a Ryan Pickett and Charles Woodson. Resign Aaron Kampman. Thompson did a good enough job that Green Bay should have enough $$$ to make a run at a big name WR for next year off season. It's not a matter of going after all these guys, it's a matter of signing the right ones. Whether Thompson did that or not is still a year or two away from being unveiled.

As for Tupe Peko, bringing him in to compete for a roster spot doesn’t hurt one bit. You see this type of thing every year with every team.

DePack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:
Popcynical said:
He hasn't started since 2004, I believe. But even if he was a fairly decent guard, would we know his name anyways?

HMMMMMM...who brought Klemm in?

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
DePack said:
tromadz said:
Popcynical said:

HMMMMMM...who brought Klemm in?

Klemm may be lost for season

By Pete Dougherty
[email protected]

The Green Bay Packers' depth at offensive tackle might have taken another long-term hit Saturday when primary backup Adrian Klemm injured his right Achilles' tendon.

With backup right tackle Kevin Barry out for the season because of an injury, Klemm was the team's top backup at both tackles entering training camp. Coach Mike McCarthy wouldn't reveal the training staff's diagnosis, but if Klemm's tendon is completely torn, which appears to be a possibility, he'll be out for the season.

The injury was bad enough that Klemm hopped away from the play on one foot, went to the ground and stayed there for several minutes. He never touched his right foot to the ground as he was helped onto a cart and driven to the locker room.

When asked if an Achilles' injury means the problem is severe, McCarthy said: "Depends on the degree of it."

If Klemm is out for an extended time or for the season, the Packers would be precariously thin at tackle behind starters Mark Tauscher at right tackle and Chad Clifton at left tackle. Klemm played both positions earlier in his career at New England.

With Klemm and Barry out, the Packers' No. 2 tackles are undrafted rookie Josh Bourke on the left side and second-year pro Will Whitticker on the right side. That doesn't mean either would play if one of the starters were injured in the regular season, but it's a possibility.

Left guard Daryn Colledge played left tackle at Boise State and could be a backup there, with Junius Coston then replacing him at guard. Coston took three snaps at left tackle in mop-up duty against New Orleans last season and is another candidate to back up either tackle spot.

The undrafted Bourke was a surprise in offseason workouts and is off to such a strong start in training camp that he would have competed for a roster spot even without the injuries. He's played well enough at left tackle that the Packers moved fifth-round draft pick Tony Moll, who's a long-term project, to right tackle.

Bourke (6-foot-7, 314 pounds) grew up in Windsor, Ontario, but attended school across the U.S. border in the Detroit area, and played in college at Grand Valley State, a Division II school in Allendale, Mich.

Bourke was a first-team all-American as a senior and a three-year starter. He missed the 2004 season because of knee-reconstruction surgery.

"I think he's a young guy that has a bright future," McCarthy said Saturday. "I'd keep an eye on him."

Whitticker started 14 games at right guard as a rookie last season but isn't agile enough to play guard in the team's new zone-blocking system, so he moved to right tackle. Whitticker struggled with being overweight last season but appears to be lighter and in better shape for training camp than he was last season and in the offseason.

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why did this thread turn into a TT flamefest debating whether or not to get a CB or WR? TT brought a relatively athletic, underachieving guard in to compete for a roster spot. If he does well, we found a diamond in the rough. If he blows, we didn't spend much at all on his training camp checks.

tromadz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Anubis said:
tromadz said:

Give me a break...

The Texan's O-Line was (and possibly still is) the worst in the league.

Bottom line: If the Texans cut him, we don't need him.

Um, did they run the same type of offensive scheme as we are going to?

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
tromadz said:

No. Then again, we didn't run the same offensive scheme last season either. So, by the same logic, why not give Klemm another chance??? :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
Anubis said:
tromadz said:

No. Then again, we didn't run the same offensive scheme last season either. So, by the same logic, why not give Klemm another chance??? :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

Klemm could be out for the year. But staying with your theory, who's to say Clifton and Tauscher are gonna be stout?

kmac

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Klemm is a big ****** of a guard good for plowing people. Peko is a smaller, more athletic guard, IIRC. Klemm is not the type of player that might work in our system, Peko is.

Anubis

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:
Klemm is a big ****** of a guard good for plowing people. Peko is a smaller, more athletic guard, IIRC. Klemm is not the type of player that might work in our system, Peko is.

I wasn't actually serious about giving Klemm another chance (injured or not). Peko may work out, however I don't see a second-string benchwarmer cut from the worst offensive line in the NFL being the kind of talent we need to build our o-line up to a championship level.

BTW, that is not an "idiotic" statement, Trom. It is a realistic one. For once I would love to see you actually criticize something TT does, rather than acting like he is the greatest GM of the modern NFL. :roll:

GO PACK!!!

Robert C. Hedley

porky88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
kmac said:

6-4, 314, isn't really that big. In fact it's right around the same size as Junius Coston who fits the system great and Peko is only roughly 10 pounds lighter. Klemm is pretty good on his feet so he'd be a good fit. Is he a good starter? No way but for people to hate him because he didn't come in and replace one of two All Pro Guards is ridiculous. He would've been a decent backup and a veteren and right now that's what Green Bay needs. They'll need to bring in someone else or they're in trouble. This line is young and losing backups fast.

Packnic

Cheesehead
Reaction score
good post porky.

man TT sure does suck for bringing in more offensive linemen, I mean i think thats the last place we need help at. why bring in guys, then try them out for low contracts, and see if we get a diamond in the rough. THAT IS JUST PLAIN STUPID. we should only bring 5 guys to camp. and by god thats all we need

slackerbacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
You TT lovers are just unreal. We knew we were losing a lot when Whale and Rivera left. TT's effort to replace at least one of those guys last year in FA and the draft was abysmal, and we had one of our worst seasons in a long time because of it. Fast forward to this off season and TT comes up w/ another lack luster, wait and see performance for the OL and a number of you see no problem w/ his approach. How many poor performances does it take before you aggressively try to upgrade your team w/ a competent player? No one is saying he had to go spend for Hutchinson, but at least making a play for someone in Manual's class......a young up and coming OL, would have been a step in the right direction. Likewise, trying to find a diamond in the rough now and then is fine, but you’re not going to make a living w/ it. Tight Teddy may have won many of you over, but I don't care for his complacent approach @ all. Sometimes you just need to go make a move to get your team a legitimate player and this was definitely the year they needed to do that for the OL.

Members online

Latest posts