Packers select HAHA

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Agreed. I thought Jones would be a good fit at 3-4 DE when he was drafted. He didn't have an impact last year, but maybe the ankle injury he suffered in camp was bothering him.

I forgot Jones was even on the roster...and that's the problem, TT is selecting to many forgettable players in the 1st round.

rodell330

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Remember when I posted "Maybe there was a reason HaHa was wearing that packers shirt in the pic he posted?"
That was a joke but who could have seen this coming? I knew pryor's stock was rising but I thought he would still go after Clinton Dix. Now I'm wondering if Pryor will line up at FS or SS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pryor is definitely versatile enough to play either or ..much like Earl Thomas in Seattle. I think he will start as a SS tho due to his aggressive style.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
IMO there’s certainly nothing wrong with criticizing the Packers pick but some of the reaction is over the top IMO – not that that’s anything new. Rodney, who writes Packer Update, isn’t excited about the pick although he had Clinton-Dix rated ahead of Pryor. He thinks Clinton-Dix is good but not great vs. both the run and pass. OTOH he writes:
And I like the idea of him joining Morgan Burnett, Sam Shields, Tramon Williams, Casey Hayward and Micah Hyde in the dime package. That’s a very formidable group. Add a linebacker that can cover to the mix and the D might actually be able to defend the middle of the field.
http://packerupdate.net/?p=33695 Kind of a back-handed “compliment” or expectation but he’s not over the top in criticizing the pick IMO.

I get the feeling the Packers were hoping either Shazier, Mosley, or maybe Ebron had slipped to them at #21. (I assume they thought Clinton-Dix was a better fit for the D than Pryor.) Of course I could be completely wrong about all that. And if you believe Thompson’s answer to the question, ‘what would your reaction have been if the Saints had picked Clinton-Dix at #20?’ was sincere (he said “I would have been crushed”) perhaps Clinton-Dix was the last player they had rated worthy of the 21st pick. Those hoping Thompson would have traded out of the first round entirely perhaps didn’t foresee safeties Bucannon (#27) and Ward (#30) coming off the board in the first round. And who knows how the Packers have safeties like Brooks, Joyner, Vereen, etc. rated?

Jason Wilde thinks Thompson’s reaction to being asked whether or not Cleveland called him about pick #21 reveals they did. http://www.espnwisconsin.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=40&post_id=37541 IMO it makes sense the Browns would have offered the Packers the same deal they offered Philadelphia. The Browns traded up to the Eagles’ pick #22 and gave them picks #26 and #83 for the privilege of drafting Manziel. Wilde also writes that had the Packers been offered and accepted that deal they would have had their pick of Bucannon or Ward at #26. I admit in theory I like the Packers turning picks #21, #53, #85, and #98 in the first three rounds into picks #26, #53, #83, #85 and #98. But it’s easy for me to be theoretical: Thompson and his staff have to live in the real world. What if they had Clinton-Dix rated significantly ahead of Bucannon, Ward and the rest of the safeties? They could have had Clinton-Dix as the #1 safety by a significant margin. What if they had Bucannon or Ward rated about the same but feared the one they preferred wouldn’t have lasted to #26? If Thompson and staff had Clinton-Dix (after figuring in team needs) rated as the last player on a talent tier, they made the right choice. No matter what, we can expect much better play from the safety position (including Burnett IMO) and that's a much-needed upgrade (and yes, a very low bar).

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
I like a lot of people wanted Mosley. TT was unwilling to trade up a few spots to get him. The bottom line though is nobody expected Dix to be there at 21 leading up to draft. I also agree that he was the only value pick at 21 that served an immediate need. I am so happy Dix made it pass that trade with Saints/Cards. IMO both Ward and Bucannon were a bit of a reach respectively in first round where they were picked. It just goes to show how many teams are looking to get better at safety. I cant believe some of the teams needing a safety that passed on Dix, mainly the bears. I think overall Dix is a solid pick that is a day 1 starter at free safety which we need. A guy that TT knows can play free safety in the NFL. Not a guy that can maybe play free safety in the NFL. Dix may not of been the **** pic that Mosley would of been but it could prove to be a more valuable one overall. Time will tell. I had my earlier concerns about Dix but with him slotted in at free safety and Burnett back to SS the secondary is somewhat set. It's deep too.

The good news is now they have 8 picks to find an inside linebacker, receiver, TE. I'm really hoping they pull the trigger tonight at Yarwin Smallwood in the 3rd tonight. Jace Amaro might drop to Pack in 2nd., then take best available receiver with the other 3rd.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I like a lot of people wanted Mosley. TT was unwilling to trade up a few spots to get him. The bottom line though is nobody expected Dix to be there at 21 leading up to draft. I also agree that he was the only value pick at 21 that served an immediate need. I am so happy Dix made it pass that trade with Saints/Cards. IMO both Ward and Bucannon were a bit of a reach respectively in first round where they were picked. It just goes to show how many teams are looking to get better at safety. I cant believe some of the teams needing a safety that passed on Dix, mainly the bears. I think overall Dix is a solid pick that is a day 1 starter at free safety which we need. A guy that TT knows can play free safety in the NFL. Not a guy that can maybe play free safety in the NFL. Dix may not of been the **** pic that Mosley would of been but it could prove to be a more valuable one overall. Time will tell. I had my earlier concerns about Dix but with him slotted in at free safety and Burnett back to SS the secondary is somewhat set. It's deep too.

The good news is now they have 8 picks to find an inside linebacker, receiver, TE. I'm really hoping they pull the trigger tonight at Yarwin Smallwood in the 3rd tonight. Jace Amaro might drop to Pack in 2nd., then take best available receiver with the other 3rd.

What makes you think the secondary is deep? I think we should grab ed Reynolds if he falls to our 2nd 3rd rounder. Also maybe grab jean baptiste if he falls to our first 3rd rounder. Don't know enough about him to know if he'd warrant a second rounder

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
What makes you think the secondary is deep? I think we should grab ed Reynolds if he falls to our 2nd 3rd rounder. Also maybe grab jean baptiste if he falls to our first 3rd rounder. Don't know enough about him to know if he'd warrant a second rounder

Looks pretty deep to me. I could see adding another Safety in rounds 5-7. I don't like wasting a 3rd on Ed Reynolds at all. IMO Baptiste is great value in 3rd and makes more sense. Antone Exum in late rounds makes even more sense.

CB Sam Shields
CB Traymon Williams
CB Casey Hayward
CB Devon House
CB/S Micah Hyde
S Clinton- Dix
S Morgan Burnett
S Sean Richardson
C/S Jarrett Bush
S Chris Banjo

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Looks pretty deep to me. I could see adding another Safety in rounds 5-7. I don't like wasting a 3rd on Ed Reynolds at all. IMO Baptiste is great value in 3rd and makes more sense. Antone Exum in late rounds makes even more sense.

CB Sam Shields
CB Traymon Williams
CB Casey Hayward
CB Devon House
CB/S Micah Hyde
S Clinton- Dix
S Morgan Burnett
S Sean Richardson
C/S Jarrett Bush
S Chris Banjo

all we have depth at is SS. Bush has always been a coverage liability, he's here for ST. Davon house IMO is a born back up. Micah fits as a slot corner or a SS. Hayward is a slot CB. We have 1 outside corner that's young with much potential in shields and an aging one in Tramon and as I said before, I don't see davon being the answer when Tramon hangs it up. We don't have depth in the right way. We have slot corners and strong safeties. The secondary behind the starters is basically patch work. If Clinton Dix goes down, who steps up? If Tramon and shields go down, who comes in? We need more help in those two areas IMO.

H

HardRightEdge

Marqise Lee would have been a reach at a position of strength. You would prefer that to a player who represents great value at a position of need? Not only that, but you are advocating taking a player early from the deepest position available in this draft. We will still be able to get a very good WR in the 3rd.

First 3 I checked for player rankings, HaHa more highly ranked:
Draftek: HaHa : 14 Lee: 25
WalterFootball: HaHa 12 - Lee 19
CBS: HaHa 18 Lee 25

I like Lee, I think he will be a good player. But HaHa will have a far bigger impact for the defense and the team in general. He was the leader of the nations best defense, directing players where to line up and calling coverages. We do not have a field general on our defense and HaHa can do that. He is not the fastest, hardest hitting, or the best cover guy. He is the best at understanding the game. And he does play fast - more quick twitch - he does hit hard and he is really good coverage guy. He is exactly what this defense needs.
I did not advocate taking Lee. I merely observed he was the best player available.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
all we have depth at is SS. Bush has always been a coverage liability, he's here for ST. Davon house IMO is a born back up. Micah fits as a slot corner or a SS. Hayward is a slot CB. We have 1 outside corner that's young with much potential in shields and an aging one in Tramon and as I said before, I don't see davon being the answer when Tramon hangs it up. We don't have depth in the right way. We have slot corners and strong safeties. The secondary behind the starters is basically patch work. If Clinton Dix goes down, who steps up? If Tramon and shields go down, who comes in? We need more help in those two areas IMO.

Yeah. They could use another guy but we don't know yet if Hayward is just a slot guy. I like him in the slot but everyone keeps saying he is just a slot guy and hasn't even had an opportunity outside yet. Banjo shouldn't make team and Bush could fall off roster this year. After Dix, Ward, Brooks, there is considerable drop-off at free safety so I think its better to get a guy in later rounds that can develop at this point and address other needs. I would have no problem with them drafting Jean-Baptiste at corner. Once again there are guys like Antone Exum and Dontae Johnson that can be picked up later. Secondary looks optimistic. I am more worried about inside linebacker right now.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Not too enthused about the pick, feel like he has limited upside and should have produced more interceptions in that defense at Bama. He does play run support well and is a physical player, I just wonder if he's more Bama prime time hype than great player. Hope I'm wrong on this, I will confess that I wasnt a big fan of Eddie Lacy when he was drafted.

Everything else you said I agree with except 'does play run support well'. He does NOT play run support well as evidenced by Auburn gashing the Bama D for 296 on the ground. And yes Auburn had big games against good teams last year, but here's the thing IF he 'does play run support well' he should've had a better showing against Auburn. His pass D ball skills don't bother me, his run support does.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
What player should have been picked at 21?

Louis Nix a 330 pound Defensive Tackle was there. With injuries and lack of production we're thin here. And I really have a huge problem getting THE Safety that Auburn torched on the ground (San Fran does this well) in the Iron Bowl.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
Everything else you said I agree with except 'does play run support well'. He does NOT play run support well as evidenced by Auburn gashing the Bama D for 296 on the ground. And yes Auburn had big games against good teams last year, but here's the thing IF he 'does play run support well' he should've had a better showing against Auburn. His pass D ball skills don't bother me, his run support does.

He is a back-end free safety. He isn't a big hitter. I have been critical of Dix all along but overall if you watch "all of his film" you will see he is a very solid sure tackler overall. He breaks down nicely and gets guys to the ground. Auburn game was "one game".

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah. They could use another guy but we don't know yet if Hayward is just a slot guy. I like him in the slot but everyone keeps saying he is just a slot guy and hasn't even had an opportunity outside yet. Banjo shouldn't make team and Bush could fall off roster this year. After Dix, Ward, Brooks, there is considerable drop-off at free safety so I think its better to get a guy in later rounds that can develop at this point and address other needs. I would have no problem with them drafting Jean-Baptiste at corner. Once again there are guys like Antone Exum and Dontae Johnson that can be picked up later. Secondary looks optimistic. I am more worried about inside linebacker right now.

Okay, but who could we possibly get on the second at ILB that wouldn't be a reach? Which we all know Thompson doesn't do.

profile_removed

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Okay, but who could we possibly get on the second at ILB that wouldn't be a reach? Which we all know Thompson doesn't do.

Everyone is high on Borland out of UW. I would rather see us get from an intelligence and play making ability Bullough out of MSU. He's smart so he is always putting himself and teammates in position to make plays.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Everyone is high on Borland out of UW. I would rather see us get from an intelligence and play making ability Bullough out of MSU. He's smart so he is always putting himself and teammates in position to make plays.

Borland has high injury concerns and I think he'll go top 10 second. Not a guy worth the risk of trading up for. Bullough, just no...

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Louis Nix a 330 pound Defensive Tackle was there. With injuries and lack of production we're thin here. And I really have a huge problem getting THE Safety that Auburn torched on the ground (San Fran does this well) in the Iron Bowl.
Nix!?! I will predict this: Packers will pass on him with their 2nd round pick. Nix? Really? I bet he goes in the mid 3rd.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Borland has high injury concerns and I think he'll go top 10 second. Not a guy worth the risk of trading up for. Bullough, just no...

We need speed at the position, I hope we don't go with Borland. We have enough issues with TEs and RBs running free in the middle of the D for easy receptions.

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score

I wouldn't take bullough with anything higher than a round 5

Dylan Hoppe

Cheesehead
Reaction score
We need speed at the position, I hope we don't go with Borland. We have enough issues with TEs and RBs running free in the middle of the D for easy receptions.

Yeah exactly which is why everyone wanted Mosley. But this just isn't a good draft for ILBs. Maybe Lattimore could step up or we could get Smallwood

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I did not advocate taking Lee. I merely observed he was the best player available.
By virtue of the fact that over 50% more picks have come off the board since the Pack chose Haha, and still nobody has taken Lee, proves he was not BPA. At least in the minds of 33% of NFL GMs - some of whom need a WR.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score

I don't see anybody really in the 2nd at ILB. I think Yarwin Smallwood is getting the "reach label" because of a pulled hamstring. IMO he is great 3rd round value. I know Packer fans cringe when they hear "pulled hamstring" but this guy never missed a game in three years. It appears to be a freak injury type thing that i don't see holding him back long term. I like Andrew Jackson later rounds as well. This guy plays mean and can "run plug". They could always roll the dice on Borland in 2nd. Any of those guy I would take over Brad Jones. In second I am hoping Troy Niklas or Jace Amaro drops to us.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah exactly which is why everyone wanted Mosley. But this just isn't a good draft for ILBs. Maybe Lattimore could step up or we could get Smallwood

I would rather pin my hopes on Jones making some strides than Borland's slow strides.

Members online

Latest posts