Packers Roster Moves 10/25

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
TUESDAY, Oct. 25, 2005, 4:55 p.m.
Packers add three players; Green placed on IR

The Green Bay Packers today made five moves on the active roster to return to the 53-man limit.

- Signed wide receiver Taco Wallace
- Re-signed running back Walt Williams
- Claimed on waivers from Tennessee wide receiver Andrae Thurman
- Placed running back Ahman Green on injured reserve
- Released wide receiver Jamal Jones

In addition, the club replaced offensive lineman Joe Hayes on the practice squad with tight end Lyonel Anderson.

OP
OP
R

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Does this mean they aren't signing Mitchell? I like the pickup of Thurman. They sure gave up on Jones quickly.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Thurman start over Chatman.

OP
OP
R

recte44

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wallace, a 6-foot, 192-pound receiver out of Kansas State, originally entered the NFL as a seventh-round selection of the Seattle Seahawks in 2003, when Thompson served as the team's vice president of football operations. A resilient receiver, Wallace was waived in the Seahawks' final preseason roster reduction each of the last three years. He re-signed to the Seattle practice squad in both 2003 and '04, and earned promotions to the 53-man roster each season. He made his NFL debut late in 2003, and also played in Green Bay's 2003 NFC Wild Card win over Seattle. Last season, Wallace played in three games without a reception.

Williams, a 6-foot-1, 215-pound running back from Grambling State, spent the last two training camps, and the 2004 NFL Europe campaign, in the Packers organization. During the 2005 preseason, Williams caught four passes for 23 yards, including a 10-yard touchdown, and carried 17 times for 44 yards. He also returned one kickoff for 17 yards and made four special-teams tackles. The shifty back made a promising NFL debut for the Packers last season at Houston, before Green Bay placed him on injured reserve with an ankle injury.

Thurman, a 5-foot-11, 192-pound receiver out of Southern Oregon, also spent portions of the 2004 and '05 seasons with the Packers. Thurman, signed to the Titans' practice squad after Green Bay waived him in its final preseason reduction, caught two passes for 27 yards in 2005 preseason action, and was the Packers' leading kickoff returner (eight returns, 214 yards, 26.8 average). He also made his NFL debut with the Packers in 2004, catching two passes.

Anderson (6-foot-3, 253 pounds, rookie, Kansas) spent 2005 training camp in Cincinnati.

IPBprez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Woohoo - Walt Williams is finally back..... 'bout time, Ted... bout time, Ya hey!

And, Andrae Thurman... not bad.... not bad at all....
I'sd like to hear what Brett privately thinks....

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
recte44 said:
TUESDAY, Oct. 25, 2005, 4:55 p.m.
Packers add three players; Green placed on IR

The Green Bay Packers today made five moves on the active roster to return to the 53-man limit.

- Signed wide receiver Taco Wallace
- Re-signed running back Walt Williams
- Claimed on waivers from Tennessee wide receiver Andrae Thurman
- Placed running back Ahman Green on injured reserve
- Released wide receiver Jamal Jones

In addition, the club replaced offensive lineman Joe Hayes on the practice squad with tight end Lyonel Anderson.

picking up andrae thurman...one wrong is finally righted

is taco wallace's first name really taco?

just because i try and factor penn state football into every post that i can, i say we sign curtis enis, wherever he is

Greg C.

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm happy that they got Thurman back. I hated that they cut him in the first place. He knows the offense and should be able to contribute immediately.

It's good to see Walt Williams back, too. I think their big concern about him was nagging injuries. If he can get healthy, he would be a much better option than Tony Fisher

CaliforniaCheez

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Since we are mid season the Packers best pick up for immediate insertion in the line up are Walt Williams and Andrae Thurman. They both know the playbook somewhat and Thurman has playoff experiance.

MajicMan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
CaliforniaCheez said:
Since we are mid season the Packers best pick up for immediate insertion in the line up are Walt Williams and Andrae Thurman. They both know the playbook somewhat and Thurman has playoff experiance.

A good point.

Leave it to TT to go with the cheap practice squad fringe guys...

Ahh, I can't complain, while advocating playing for next year's draft.

Start Williams over TFish. Much better running the football. I would still give Lee some carries, also...TFish sticks to doing what he does best, third down rec's.

As much as I hate Mitchell...I must say I'm a bit disappointed. I guess I feel he has a bigger upside than Thurman.

Well...We'll certainly find out what Williams and Thurman have to offer.

Here's your big chance guys...

Maybe that's a good thing.

Maybe a motivator

net

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Mitchell is coming off a knee problem(he already has a head problem) so the Packers figured Thurman can play this week(so can Williams if needed) so bring in the guys that are good to go.

After Tony Fisher gets hurt, and then RaShard Lee, Williams will be the principal back until he gets hurt. Then they will suit up Edgar Bennett from the coaching staff...until he gets hurt.

Bobby Roberts

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm surprised they didn't at least try-out Jerry Rice. Rice would be able to start on Sunday and take pressure off of Driver right away. He would only be a temporary solution, but that's what we need this season.

I'm glad they stayed away from Mitchell. Freddie could make 2 catches in 3 games and still argue that he's a pro-bowl WR. Thurman can step in right away and won't produce any locker-room problems.

Walt Williams just makes sense. He knows the offense, has talent to develop and will fill Fisher's spot on ST.

It's obvious that TT is looking to fill holes with young guys who have some potential before picking up questionable veterans. Thusfar he's been doing well, but our inexperience shows. This team struggles with consistency every week. It's too bad that he didn't bring in an experienced veteran with these additions, especially considering most of these guys are only temporary solutions anyway.

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
a co worker told me that freddie held out his hands, looked down at them, then looked up and said 'this is what you need' ... apparently he was extremely cocky and arrogant... SURPRISE

again thats from a co worker

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
sixone220 said:
JavonWalker084 said:
recte44 said:
just because i try and factor penn state football into every post that i can, i say we sign curtis enis, wherever he is

sitting somewhere getting wasted and bragging that he is better than larry johnson.

with blair thomas

with Ki-Jana Carter

HatestheEagles084

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Zero2Cool said:
JavonWalker084 said:
sixone220 said:
JavonWalker084 said:
recte44 said:

sitting somewhere getting wasted and bragging that he is better than larry johnson.

with blair thomas

with Ki-Jana Carter

nah...

any time i'm discussing NFL busts I always defend ki-jana carter, he blew out his knee on his 3rd preseason carry, was inactive for two seasons...for him to even build himself back up to have backup roles in washington and new orleans is miraculous...enis and thomas were wastes, but ki-jana really would've became something

Zero2Cool

I own a website
Reaction score
JavonWalker084 said:
Zero2Cool said:
JavonWalker084 said:
sixone220 said:
JavonWalker084 said:
[quote="recte44":1y1j2cjv]

with blair thomas

with Ki-Jana Carter

nah...

any time i'm discussing NFL busts I always defend ki-jana carter, he blew out his knee on his 3rd preseason carry, was inactive for two seasons...for him to even build himself back up to have backup roles in washington and new orleans is miraculous...enis and thomas were wastes, but ki-jana really would've became something[/quote:1y1j2cjv]
whatever

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts