Packers re-sign Ahman Green

Quientus

Oenophile
Reaction score
(...)
Well no one on Minnesota is really good enough besides the O Line to play over most the GB roster, (...)

Wow ... talk about drinking/sniffing something wrong ...

I don't know whether I should laugh or cry ...

Let's for a moment (very brief short moment) hypothesize that you are infact right about your (hilarous) assumption ...

Then explain how the Packers currently are 3-2 and not 5-0 ?

Because if the Packers are so dominant in all 3 phases of the game ... then you must be able to explain to everyone else how, that is even remotely possible ?

The Minnesota defense allowed 23 points against the Packers, while the Packers defense gave up 30 ...

The Packers defense conceeded 31 points against the Bengals ...

Yeah, you are right ... The Packers this season are so dominant that clearly they are the best team in the NFC North ...

:jester:

Jess

Movement!
Reaction score
Well no one on Minnesota is really good enough besides the O Line to play over most the GB roster, but lets say Allen came to GB, I would not ever like him no matter what he did.
They have this guy named Adrian Peterson. Maybe you've heard of him.

Also, Jared Allen is better than anybody on our team.

They have two players that would each be considered the best player on the Packers. That's pretty good.

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
They have this guy named Adrian Peterson. Maybe you've heard of him.

Also, Jared Allen is better than anybody on our team.

They have two players that would each be considered the best player on the Packers. That's pretty good.
In a pass driven league, I would disagree that Peterson would be the best player on our offense. Rodgers, Driver and Jennings would, too.

And on Allen, Woodson would also have something to say. Not to mention the fact that we play on a 3-4.

But that statement that their only better aspect is their OL is ludicrous. They also have a better RB and DL. Although Jenkins and Jolly are playing lights out, and Raji has a lot of potential. Soon enough, we could have one of the best 3-4 DL in football, but a 3-4 DL never will get compared to a 4-3 DL...

I think right now the biggest difference between both teams, when healthy, is in the OL. Their worst trait is the secondary, and they have a great player in there in Winfield, with some O.K. players like Griffin. But our biggest flaw has absolutely no positive aspect. Clifton isn't playing well, the inside of the line isn't qualified and we play a cone at RT.

doughsellz

Cheesehead
Reaction score
He's on the roster. yay, only thing is he used to fumble a tad.

For the record Green fumbled once every 58 touches & scored a TD every 32 touches in 7 seasons in GB.

By comparison Jim Taylor fumbled once every 61 touches & scored a TD every 22 touches in 9 seasons in GB.

Another interesting stat: since the beginning of the '07 season no RB has fumbled more than Adrian Peterson.

I like the timing of this signing. Veteran back-ups provide less headaches than the learn-while-u-burn guys. Ahman doesn't have much to give but if it's anything like when he was in his prime, it'll be 110% of what he's got left to give.

There's a few over-30 RBs having mild success in the league right now, Sammy Morris & Kevin Faulk come to mind, & Ricky Williams is a mere 3 months younger than Green & he's showing some toughness & agility for the Dolphins in certain situations.

LT, LJ & Brian Westbrook are all 30 or will turn 30 this season. It's not necessarily a given that 30 is the end of an RBs effectiveness. Granted they're not elite anymore but is that really what's needed in GB right now?

mike bat

Cheesehead
Reaction score
im not sure how i feel about green ... i mean the guy WAS great when we had him before ... and im sure he will be a huge step up from grant ... i geuss im left with 4 questions ... is our o-line able to support a run game ??? i dont think so ... also how durible is Green now ?? i know i say grant is a sub par running back ,, but has our o-line made him ineffective ??? will green be able to handle the sacs in the back field because of the constant preasure and lack of an o line ??? IMO and not to hijack this thread ,,, TT is grabbing for straws ... this is just my thoughts ... IMO green would out run grant any day of the week ... hell green could out run grant in a wheel chair LOL ... bottom line here ,, its a big unkown ... i geuss at this point i think bringing Green back to GB was a good ideal .... but we also need to remember this isnt the same packers team Green was on before ...

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
For the record Green fumbled once every 58 touches & scored a TD every 32 touches in 7 seasons in GB.

By comparison Jim Taylor fumbled once every 61 touches & scored a TD every 22 touches in 9 seasons in GB.

Another interesting stat: since the beginning of the '07 season no RB has fumbled more than Adrian Peterson.

I like the timing of this signing. Veteran back-ups provide less headaches than the learn-while-u-burn guys. Ahman doesn't have much to give but if it's anything like when he was in his prime, it'll be 110% of what he's got left to give.

There's a few over-30 RBs having mild success in the league right now, Sammy Morris & Kevin Faulk come to mind, & Ricky Williams is a mere 3 months younger than Green & he's showing some toughness & agility for the Dolphins in certain situations.

LT, LJ & Brian Westbrook are all 30 or will turn 30 this season. It's not necessarily a given that 30 is the end of an RBs effectiveness. Granted they're not elite anymore but is that really what's needed in GB right now?
Great post. Thanks for the stats.

About 30s running backs. I think you're dead on. They're usually not able to be a feature back anymore, but they're more than capable to be complementary backs. I would also name Fred Taylor, that was having a great year with the Pats...

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
That was the approach I was talking about, other than the O line and i forgot about Peterson however I think in a few years the Packers D Line will be better but its a tough comparison to make because of 3-4 4-3 differences.

What I really wanted to say in that post and obviously I was wrong now that I really sit and think about it is that idk how any team would welcome someone they hated for so long with open arms. Would you welcome the bully who might of beat you up in high school a few years later and pretend nothing happened? Probably not. That is what really bothers me. I would never welcome Allen or anything. That's all I wanted to mean.

*ALSO* I think that if GB had a mediocre o-line they could be 4-1 this season. I think the fact they put up a fight against Minny with an o line that is overmatched by a high school practice squad is somewhat interesting.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score

Thanks for the stats, I agree, we could use some more veterans in the mix. Even AP fumbles a bit but I guess that's part of being the animal that he is. You can't make the big plays without expecting to lose the ball once in a while. Things are looking up for us.

dansz15

Cheesehead
Reaction score
The veteran leadership is what is key... he brings knowledge that will hopefully steady the backfield and just be the presence they pretty much signed him for... I still think it is great news to have him back. Next thing is convincing the GB staff to start TJ Lang.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad we signed Green. I think if we could just get William Henderson back, we could have a potent, unstoppable set of running backs who could rotate in and out at will. Ted....please sign William Henderson......we need a guy to blow open a few holes for these guys. I think he still has a lot left in the tank. Give him a tryout. What could it hurt?

Packer 007

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, bring back Gilbert Brown, Sean Jones, George Koonce, and Dorsey too! Edgar's on the sideline.. slap a jersey on him!

And Jim McMahon for a little back up insurance! :jester:

Ok, Green makes some sense now.

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Yeah, bring back Gilbert Brown, Sean Jones, George Koonce, and Dorsey too! Edgar's on the sideline.. slap a jersey on him!

And Jim McMahon for a little back up insurance! :jester:

Ok, Green makes some sense now.

We just need McMahon to moon Brett when he comes to Lambeau LOL

PackersRS

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I'm glad we signed Green. I think if we could just get William Henderson back, we could have a potent, unstoppable set of running backs who could rotate in and out at will. Ted....please sign William Henderson......we need a guy to blow open a few holes for these guys. I think he still has a lot left in the tank. Give him a tryout. What could it hurt?
I don't know if you're kidding or not but those FB screens with Henderson were absolutely unstoppable. Just loved when he jumped over the defender!
But I think we already have a great FB in the makings in Mighty Quinn.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I don't know if you're kidding or not but those FB screens with Henderson were absolutely unstoppable. Just loved when he jumped over the defender!
But I think we already have a great FB in the makings in Mighty Quinn.
I am only semi-kidding. I really think Green is a good pick-up for cheap. He certainly has a desire to play still, and if he can catch the ball and gain us a few first downs, what have we got to lose? As for the mighty Quinn...well so far he ain't no Henderson. So if Henderson is still in shape, let's get the old combo back together. We have to get somebody to run in front of either Grant or Green or neither one of them will get the job done, I have been saying this for what seems like 2 seasons now, yet it never changes...but then, I have also been saying we need an offensive line...

CheeseHead88

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, no one is expecting Ahman Green to be a starter. He's a veteran leader who was a star for Green Bay a few years ago, why not bring him back and let him be a positive influence on the new guys and a great guy to have in the locker room? There's nothing wrong with that.

Heck, why not bring back Sterling Sharpe as well??? :)

jrpack

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Look, no one is expecting Ahman Green to be a starter. He's a veteran leader who was a star for Green Bay a few years ago, why not bring him back and let him be a positive influence on the new guys and a great guy to have in the locker room? There's nothing wrong with that.

Heck, why not bring back Sterling Sharpe as well??? :)

Ahman Green Pro Bowler 4 consectutive years. Good Vet to have around.

AzPackerfan

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Congratulations to Ahman Green today for setting the Packers all-time rushing record. I just didn't want this to go unrecognized on this thread because the rest of the game stunk. I said he still has something left to give, and I thought he ran pretty well today. He might be a better runner at his age than Grant. Hopefully we will see Rogers start to feed him a steady diet of 5 yard passes to the flat so we can see some more of that old shine...go Batman, go Batman...

Members online

Latest posts