Packers ranked 2nd in ESPN´s Future Power Rankings

• Thread starter Deleted member 6794
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 6794

For this year's edition of the NFL Future Power Rankings, Insider's annual examination of the franchises best positioned to succeed going forward, ESPN had their panel of NFL experts -- John Clayton, Mel Kiper, Louis Rid**** and Mike Sando -- project how teams would fare over the course of the next three seasons: 2014, 2015 and 2016.

The analysts rated every team in five categories -- Roster (excluding quarterback), QB, Draft, Front Office and Coaching -- and the results were then averaged and weighted to create our final 1-32 Future Power Ranking. The entire rankings are available for ESPN Insiders only but here´s the Packers grade and overview:

Total Score: 85.54
Roster (without QB): 7.9
QB: 9.7
Draft: 7.7
Front Office: 8.7
Coaching: 9
The overview: Green Bay joined the 49ers and Seahawks as the only teams with at least four top-five rankings. This is the third year in a row Green Bay has ranked among the top two overall. Aaron Rodgers' status as a great QB and his relative youth (30) gave Green Bay the top-ranked future at the position. The rest of the roster wasn't far behind at No. 6. The Packers pride themselves on building through the draft instead of free agency, but the draft was their lowest ranked category, at No. 11, down eight spots from the past offseason, even after running back Eddie Lacy became the NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year for his efforts in 2013. Looking ahead, GM Ted Thompson picked up three receivers in the 2014 draft, which bought insurance at the position while Randall Cobb and Jordy Nelson enter their contract years. --Mike Sando

The dilemma: Getting the defense to play at a level that takes some of the pressure off of Rodgers and the offense, by being able to deal with the explosive offensive perimeter players in the division, is the primary concern for this team going forward. This is particularly true as it relates to the play of the corners. The Packers need to get a good return on the investment they made in re-signing CB Sam Shields ($14M total guaranteed), and they have key contracts expiring at the position after the 2014 (Tramon Williams, Davon House) and 2015 (Casey Hayward) seasons that they will need to decide on. --Louis Rid****

The youth movement: Two 2014 rookies at opposite ends of the scouting spectrum could become favorites of Rodgers and continue to help this offense soar. Davante Adams is a low-risk, sure-handed, if not overly explosive, WR who seems ready to play. Tight end Colt Lyerla could be a star if the work matches the athletic credentials, or he could be out of the league if off-the-field issues linger, but oh, those athlete credentials. He could be a poor man's Vernon Davis (which isn't all that poor). Given the QB, Adams and Lyerla could be stars. --Mel Kiper

wist43

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wow, I don't see that at all... we're a QB driven team, and until we can stand up to physical teams, and prove we can play some semblance of defense - I think we have to be considered a team that is 1 tier down from the best teams in the league.

Rodgers makes us a contender, but without him we went 2-5-1.

Our OL is average at best; our ILB's are below average; our depth is always unproven b/c of the perpetual youth movement; our DB's were a mess last year - and that has been a problem ever since Collins went down; Capers is lost; our 2011 draft was almost a complete bust...

In 2013, with Rodgers missing 1/2 the season, we finished 25th in defense, and 29th in offense.

Just sayin - the numbers don't support a 2nd ranking. A top-flight team would have responded to the loss of their QB much better than we did. Instead, we completely went in the tank.

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
In 2013, with Rodgers missing 1/2 the season, we finished 25th in defense, and 29th in offense.
:rolleyes: Or, you could use the real numbers. Even with Rodgers out for as long as he was, even with the cluster schtoop at backup QB, the Packers finished tied for 8th in the league in scoring and 3rd in total yards according to nfl.com.

AllouezPackerFan

Section 121 Row 47
Reaction score
As a whole what have our two biggest weaknesses on the field been? Our pass rush, and our secondary. Both have been remedied this off season in a big way. We know we are going to put up a lot of points this year. No question about that. Realistically we were a stop or two away from beating the 49ers in the playoffs last year and a muffed punt away the year before. We are right where we want to be right now. GO PACK GO

Sanguine camper

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Until the Packers find someone to help CM3 rush the passer and get better ILB they can score all the points they want but in the playoffs they will get beat by a physical team. Right now nobody fears the Packers defense. Let's hope Ha Ha and a healthy Heyward and CM3 can turn them arouund. A no 2 ranking is biased by the QB ranking.Will Peppers be the man?

ivo610

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if the pack finish in the top 5 for defense this yr

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

:rolleyes: Or, you could use the real numbers. Even with Rodgers out for as long as he was, even with the cluster schtoop at backup QB, the Packers finished tied for 8th in the league in scoring and 3rd in total yards according to nfl.com.

Well, during the time Rodgers was out the team was 23rd in scoring and 15th in yards per game.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Wow, I don't see that at all... we're a QB driven team, and until we can stand up to physical teams, and prove we can play some semblance of defense - I think we have to be considered a team that is 1 tier down from the best teams in the league.

Rodgers makes us a contender, but without him we went 2-5-1.

Our OL is average at best; our ILB's are below average; our depth is always unproven b/c of the perpetual youth movement; our DB's were a mess last year - and that has been a problem ever since Collins went down; Capers is lost; our 2011 draft was almost a complete bust...

Just sayin - the numbers don't support a 2nd ranking. A top-flight team would have responded to the loss of their QB much better than we did. Instead, we completely went in the tank.

I think ranking the rest of the Packers roster without Rodgers at #6 is a little too high, they got it right by grading Aaron as the best QB.

You have to realize though that this list isn't about the most talented team at the moment but about the expectations over the next three years. Having a lot of young guys on the team with some upside gets you ranked higher.

cara murphy

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I think ranking the rest of the Packers roster without Rodgers at #6 is a little too high, they got it right by grading Aaron as the best QB.

You have to realize though that this list isn't about the most talented team at the moment but about the expectations over the next three years. Having a lot of young guys on the team with some upside gets you ranked higher.
yeah.i think so. with "fresh blood" the team will be ranked higher and be better.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Well, during the time Rodgers was out the team was 23rd in scoring and 15th in yards per game.

How is that relevant? If you took Peyton Manning off the Broncos, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't score as much either. Losing the best QB in the NFL is going to hurt the offense, there's no way around that.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

How is that relevant? If you took Peyton Manning off the Broncos, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't score as much either. Losing the best QB in the NFL is going to hurt the offense, there's no way around that.

The information is relevant as some other posters discussed about how much the offense regressed during the time Rodgers was out.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I'm happy that we rank so highly in the "future" power rankings, I really want the Packers to be the best NOW. We're starting to see some issues crop up with the salary cap and re-signing some of our great players while we're not necessarily seeing as many terrific first- and second-year players step up as we have in the past. Please don't take this as some shot at the front office, it's not, it's just a comment on how the cap works. I just wonder how much longer this team can keep playing at this level when we have to start paying big money to Mike Daniels, Josh Sitton, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and we haven't really seen a lot of other players on defense step up recently (outside of CM3, Daniels, Hayward and Shields).

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
While I'm happy that we rank so highly in the "future" power rankings, I really want the Packers to be the best NOW. We're starting to see some issues crop up with the salary cap and re-signing some of our great players while we're not necessarily seeing as many terrific first- and second-year players step up as we have in the past. Please don't take this as some shot at the front office, it's not, it's just a comment on how the cap works. I just wonder how much longer this team can keep playing at this level when we have to start paying big money to Mike Daniels, Josh Sitton, Jordy Nelson, Randall Cobb and we haven't really seen a lot of other players on defense step up recently (outside of CM3, Daniels, Hayward and Shields).

Why does it matter to you if they are considered the best NOW? The best the Packers can do is win the Superbowl this coming season. If that isn't good enough for you and you want them to be good NOW - what are your parameters for judging them the best NOW?

Last edited:

TJV

Lifelong Packers Fanatic
Reaction score
The information is relevant as some other posters discussed about how much the offense regressed during the time Rodgers was out.
Actually you responded to my post correcting a poster who wrote, "In 2013, with Rodgers missing 1/2 the season, we finished 25th in defense, and 29th in offense." So he wasn't referring to just the time Rodgers was out.

brandon2348

GO PACK GO!
Reaction score
They are looking at many factors giving that rating. If you look at cap situation and the young talent TT has put together and the fact Rodgers has at least 5 more really good years it's easy to get come to that rating. TT should be given some credit for keeping the team competitive every year. I can think of a lot of franchises that would take 3 division titles and a super bowl over the last 4 years.

We all want to win the Super Bowl every year but the fact is it's really hard and so many things need to happen that sometimes are out of everyone's control. Injuries, etc. etc. Although, if the team can stay somewhat healthy this year anything but a super bowl would be a disappointment as this is the most loaded roster I have seen TT assemble.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

Actually you responded to my post correcting a poster who wrote, "In 2013, with Rodgers missing 1/2 the season, we finished 25th in defense, and 29th in offense." So he wasn't referring to just the time Rodgers was out.

True, seems like I misread wist's post. Guess my information was irrelevant after all.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Why does it matter to you if they are considered the best NOW? The best the Packers can do is win the Superbowl this coming season. If that isn't good enough for you and you want them to be good NOW - what are your parameters for judging them the best NOW?

I sepcifically didn't say "ranked best", I just said "the best" because I want them to win a Super Bowl. I could care less what ESPN's rankings have to say.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
I sepcifically didn't say "ranked best", I just said "the best" because I want them to win a Super Bowl. I could care less what ESPN's rankings have to say.
There are a million variables involved each season. But being ranked, at this point, as the 2nd most likely team to win SB this season and the next two is encouraging news, at least for me.

Sunshinepacker

Cheesehead
Reaction score
There are a million variables involved each season. But being ranked, at this point, as the 2nd most likely team to win SB this season and the next two is encouraging news, at least for me.

My point was that I would like the Packers to be considered one of the top two teams in football TODAY. While I also like that we are well positioned for the future at some point the team needs to take that next step.

AmishMafia

Cheesehead
Reaction score
My point was that I would like the Packers to be considered one of the top two teams in football TODAY. While I also like that we are well positioned for the future at some point the team needs to take that next step.
i see. re-read the OP. The Packers are the No. 2 team most likely to win the Superbowl over the next 3 years. That means this next Superbowl and the following 2 years.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 6794

I sepcifically didn't say "ranked best", I just said "the best" because I want them to win a Super Bowl.

It's really tough doing that in July, so rankings like the one ESPN did or some other preseason rankings are all we've got at the moment.

I could care less what ESPN's rankings have to say.

Why do you comment on the thread then??? If you're not interesting in it don't read it and just ignore the topic and just reply to all the other onteresting stuff happening in the NFL right now.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
NOW is one third of the future that was analyzed and assessed by the so-called experts. These Packer outsiders affirmed my view that we have been and will continue to be one of the few elite teams in the future. IMO, they underrated us in Front Office and Draft. It is extremely difficult to maintain a high level of talent drafting in the bottom third of each round just about every year. Our overall record over the last 10 years when compared to the other 31 franchises is very favorable. It's surprising to see the level of negativity and skepticism of the experts analysis from our our own fans in this thread.

PikeBadger

Staff member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Sunshinepacker, post: 560605, me. I could care less what ESPN's rankings have to say.[/QUOTE]

If we had been ranked 21st, I have a feeling the outrage in this forum toward the ESPN experts would be off the chart.

Vrill

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Wouldn't be surprised if the pack finish in the top 5 for defense this yr

Honestly, it wouldnt shock me either. The NFL is a year to year league. You just really dont know who steps up and who has a down year and so on. Ive been predicting all off season that either Seattle or SF will struggle this year and go 8-8 or so and miss the playoffs.

I mean, look at the Saints D. They went from **** POOR (allowed the most yards in history up to that point?) to being ranked #9 the following year?

Anyway, what im saying is, for all we know, we could have 2-3 guys nobody expected to step up on D and have huge years.

Nothing surprises me anymore in the NFL these days.

L7Panda

Cheesehead
Reaction score
Shouldn't be too surprising.

If your defense could just improve from awful to mediocre, you'd likely win the Super Bowl. Your offense is second only to Denver, and may even be better this and in future years, and out of the Top 5 QB's in the league, aside from Luck, you have the youngest.

Green Bay will in the North again in 2014.

Members online

Latest posts